Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

man that url bar is poo poo. make way for the home 🏠 burton!!!

which one? there are two, and they go different places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

poty posted:

theyll fix that for free

the real obsolescence timer is that the original watch isnt getting watchos 5. probably it really cant handle it as its slow as gently caress

ya, but what if you have one of those $10,000 original apple watches?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

then you are probably rich enough to not care about having to buy a new watch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

akadajet posted:

anyone buying the $10k watch knew what they were getting into and more importantly probably have enough money that they don’t care.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pointsofdata posted:

i opened more

Please, my family is dying...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

The planned obsolescence timer in my original apple watch just expired, the display popped off and is dangling around because the battery started swelling :tinfoil:

I have no choice but to buy the shiny new thing now

this happened to my series 2 a couple weeks ago. they replaced it with a new (refurbished) one for free

but yeah, end of software support is the actual obsolescence timer for you. at least you didn't spend $10k on it lmao

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

jesus WEP posted:

im the nespresso notification

you joke but why does have NFC a notification?

the best I can come up with is so people are aware it's on and don't get their money swiped
that would necessitate that people know what the nespresso icon is for though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's prob a sarnsung which insist on notifying you about anything it possibly can

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sereri posted:

the best I can come up with is so people are aware it's on and don't get their money swiped

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

last time i had an android phone it used to randomly wake me up in the middle of the night with a loud notification sound which informed me that a system component had crashed (did not respect the volume controls or setting it to silent), took me an age to figure out what the pattern was: it would eventually crash if i placed it on a library book on my bedside table, the nfc implementation kept attempting to talk to the nfc tag in the book, and its negotiation attempts with this mysterious object the nfc subsystem would (sometimes) crash

that is my android story

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

very good to know that it was off

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sereri posted:

i was actually not joking, i thought it was some iot bullshit haha

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

i just want a good phone to be announced tomorrow. my 6s has a crack on the screen I've been putting up with for over a year, the 128 gig isn't enough for my music collection, and the battery life is bad enough now for it to need a charge twice a day. iphone SE 256 gig would be ideal.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

IUG posted:

i just want a good phone to be announced tomorrow. my 6s has a crack on the screen I've been putting up with for over a year, the 128 gig isn't enough for my music collection, and the battery life is bad enough now for it to need a charge twice a day. iphone SE 256 gig would be ideal.

source your quotes

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hi yospos I bought a new apple, it's smelling a bit musty

Logic board actually looks pretty good after washing it, I have to hook it up to a standard ATX psu before I know if it works though, the PSU in the tower exploded when the seller tried to power it

props to this little guy for not leaking

https://imgur.com/a/r8zo8ky

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

graph posted:

source your quotes

myself. i want to buy a new phone, this one is dying. this thread says android is worse. please send help.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Logic board actually looks pretty good after washing it, I have to hook it up to a standard ATX psu before I know if it works though, the PSU in the tower exploded when the seller tried to power it

NICE!

do you have a pinout for the power connector? i love that apple was using soft-off for years while pc had that clunky-rear end AT poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

x-post into the subtle buttocks thread (best thread) please

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

IUG posted:

myself. i want to buy a new phone, this one is dying. this thread says android is worse. please send help.

hello, have you heard of the iphone SE?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

hello, have you heard of the iphone SE?

yeah, i'm hoping they make a 256 gig version. or they somehow go cheaper tomorrow.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

IUG posted:

yeah, i'm hoping they make a 256 gig version. or they somehow go cheaper tomorrow.

what pray tell will you do with this space?

20 000 flacs?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
look there are a ton of animes and they all have soundtracks

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

what pray tell will you do with this space?

20 000 flacs?

I have just under 10,000 mp3s on my phone now, and that's just under 90 gigs of space. My iTunes has about 13k songs I think. I don't want to deal with shuffling music off/on the phone with iTunes' broken sync function.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you really need three weeks of music on your phone though

how badly would your life be ruined if you sorted by Last Played and then deleted the bottom two-thirds of the list

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

IUG posted:

I have just under 10,000 mp3s on my phone now, and that's just under 90 gigs of space. My iTunes has about 13k songs I think. I don't want to deal with shuffling music off/on the phone with iTunes' broken sync function.

i have something similar

its spotify premium and its pretty good

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving mp3s

done with that poo poo

stream and be done, aint nobody got time to loving transfer poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

loving mp3s

done with that poo poo

yep

paying for streaming music is way easier than stealing it now

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yep

paying for streaming music is way easier than stealing it now

the best is you can just yell things and the computer plays it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

loving mp3s

done with that poo poo

Transferring poo poo would be sometimes OK if not for itunes

But yeah seriously if you """need""" that much music available at all times just stream the poo poo. I like google music because it lets you upload your own stuff if their library is missing something. Or you can go full nerd and setup something like subsonic

and if that ain't good enough then just accept your autism and get a dedicated mp3 player that can be stuffed with SD cards

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apple music does that, too. spotify doesn't and has a lovely, convoluted way to add music they're missing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

isn't google music deprecated too?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah youtube music is their current service

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Last Chance posted:

Endless Mike posted:

yeah youtube music is their current service

lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

IUG posted:

get an iPod

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Last Chance posted:

eh it's complicated and google is rather vague (wow whodathunk) https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/what-happens-to-google-play-music-youtube-music/

im just gonna stick with it until it turns to intolerable poo poo, like with every google product.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the "too many mp3s" solution i finally worked out for myself was to put all my music on onedrive (you get a terabyte free with microsoft office, and it doesn't have ads and horseshit) and then use a third-party app (CloudPlayer, $5) to load it (because microsoft killed their own groove music player thing). it handles my desired use case of "play a song from my own library, don't play ads, don't replace it with a "m atching" song, don't try to show me music i didn't search for" quite nicely. give it a shot

e: i think that cloudplayer can also stream from a regular old sftp server so that'll be nice for when onedrive kicks the bucket

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 11, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

IUG posted:

why don’t you use iTunes Match or smth ? i think that’s what this is for and has a limit of 100,000 songs. you could also diy media server I guess. otherwise streaming services are the path of least resistance. of course no service will have everything, but you could prolly pare down a lot

e. ^ yeah that works too. I’m p sure you can stream from remote cloud storage w/ the free VLC app too lol

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 11, 2018

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

OldAlias posted:

why don’t you use iTunes Match or smth ? i think that’s what this is for and has a limit of 100,000 songs. you could also diy media server I guess. otherwise streaming services are the path of least resistance. of course no service will have everything, but you could prolly pare down a lot

e. ^ yeah that works too. I’m p sure you can stream from remote cloud storage w/ the free VLC app too lol

I tried this once, but it didn’t suit my needs. I have playlists that cycle out stuff I listened to recently, but match couldn’t do this. Plus I have probably over 500 CDs at this point, so I do t want to pay $15 a month for what I already own.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

IUG posted:

I tried this once, but it didn’t suit my needs. I have playlists that cycle out stuff I listened to recently, but match couldn’t do this. Plus I have probably over 500 CDs at this point, so I do t want to pay $15 a month for what I already own.

you're paying $15 a month to have access to what you already own everywhere with an internet connection, and also you'll get access to gently caress knows what else you've never heard before and most anything new coming out

and $15/month is for the family plan (assuming we're talking apple music) so that gets 6 people access to those 500+ CDs

seriously i'm a curmudgeonly grognard at times and even i've come around to streaming music services. i still download some poo poo but it's easy to handle that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

IUG posted:

old man yells at the cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Someone upthread posted about how it’ll replace your music with the clean, live, or radio edit versions of a song unknowingly. or they lose rights and pull it unless you have your copy of the track to upload. or I can pay the ten dollars a month for the larger hard drive for the 3 years I have the phone.

also my wife doesn’t like my garbage music