Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

As someone who'd never heard about this until opening the thread today, yiiiiiiikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Comedy asked the question, "is blackface ever okay," and the answer was a resounding "no."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Comedy asked the question, "is blackface ever okay," and the answer was a resounding "no."

This is actually probably the event that took blackface from a taboo thing that shouldn't be done because duh to the kind of thing that everyone knows not to ever do for any reason. It's not that donning blackface and dropping n-bombs aimed at an African American was OK before this, it's just that nobody bothered to do it because OF COURSE YOU DON'T DO THIS. But a really crazy combination of events, times, and places led Danson to think, "Hey, in this context, it'll be OK!"

This whole thing happened because of the movie Made in America.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So I just binged through both seasons in 2 days, and I think it might have been one of the best decisions of my life. Why on earth is this show not more talked about?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LividLiquid posted:

Tropic Thunder worked out ok. Although every black comedian/commentator I have ever heard speak about it basically say the same thing: that it walked such a drat fine line and there was no room for error and the chances of someone pulling that off again is very low.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I just binged season 2. I admit to being misty-eyed during the scene in the bar. And Eleanor's drunken "Am I a bartender??" was my second-biggest laugh of the season, with Janet vomiting an endless stream of pennies being number 1.

This show is so good

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

tarlibone posted:

This is actually probably the event that took blackface from a taboo thing that shouldn't be done because duh to the kind of thing that everyone knows not to ever do for any reason. It's not that donning blackface and dropping n-bombs aimed at an African American was OK before this, it's just that nobody bothered to do it because OF COURSE YOU DON'T DO THIS. But a really crazy combination of events, times, and places led Danson to think, "Hey, in this context, it'll be OK!"

This whole thing happened because of the movie Made in America.

i really doubt this because every year up to and including this one some super white college fraternity gets in trouble for a blackface party

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

swickles posted:

Tropic Thunder worked out ok. Although every black comedian/commentator I have ever heard speak about it basically say the same thing: that it walked such a drat fine line and there was no room for error and the chances of someone pulling that off again is very low.

Yes. The context is incredibly specific, and makes the whole exercise an explicit comment on race and representation in film...it's not punching down because the "joke" is really about the delusional and tone-deaf overreach behind Oscar movies. If Robert Downey's character was even remotely trying to say anything real about race, the whole thing would've crash-landed.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xealot posted:

Yes. The context is incredibly specific, and makes the whole exercise an explicit comment on race and representation in film...it's not punching down because the "joke" is really about the delusional and tone-deaf overreach behind Oscar movies. If Robert Downey's character was even remotely trying to say anything real about race, the whole thing would've crash-landed.

Yeah and since most people are too dumb to get that they had an African American basically explain it to him throughout the film.

It’s a really good movie by the way.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Never thought about how potentially career threatening that role was and this was before Ironman. He would’ve been extremely “cancelled” if that movie came out today

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I didn’t want to see Tropic Thunder, but I was dragged along opening night by friends, and I ended up being so glad they did. It’s very good, and knows itself and what it wanted to do perfectly. It definitely helps that Hollywoo loves making films about, and poking fun at itself.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The_Doctor posted:

I didn’t want to see Tropic Thunder, but I was dragged along opening night by friends, and I ended up being so glad they did. It’s very good, and knows itself and what it wanted to do perfectly. It definitely helps that Hollywoo loves making films about, and poking fun at itself.

If you like that kind of movie you should check out Living in Oblivion with Steve Buscemi. It's not nearly as over-the-top as Tropic Thunder but it's still pretty funny

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah tropic thunder I only watched recently bc it seemed Adam sander sort of lowbrow at a glance but I’m glad I finally watched it because it’s a really funny movie

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The first scene of season 3 is online. It's good https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/11/the-good-place-season-3-premiere-first-scene/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I think this scene was posted somewhere earlier, because I've seen it before. It was also on tonight's NBC program where the cast of Brooklyn 99 introduces this year's NBC lineup.

Good scene, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I have legit been Michael when I saw what he saw in the final 10 seconds there. It was amazing.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I’m so intrigued by how we as a society just completely gave a pass to Darrell Hammond doing black face on SNL multiple times. Even me. He was probably the best impressionist for those roles but I think back on it and am like “how did no one say anything about this?” Even now no one has really ever raised this as an issue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I still laugh at how Jason died.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The_Doctor posted:

I have legit been Michael when I saw what he saw in the final 10 seconds there. It was amazing.

Wait, that's real? How is that even possible?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rarity posted:

They’re both owned by the same parent company (who also own KFC), and will sometimes combine them into one store. You may even end up with this beautiful monstrosity:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://youtu.be/EQ8ViYIeH04

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The_Doctor posted:

They’re both owned by the same parent company (who also own KFC), and will sometimes combine them into one store. You may even end up with this beautiful monstrosity:

Belinda Carlisle was right, heaven is a place on Earth :swoon:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I still laugh at how Jason died.

I just realized, that's not how snorkels work. How did I ever think that would work? ...Am I a moron?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Has the EW article been linked?

Also, a bit of random trivia from Schuur in there - three hundred years have passed.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Rarity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BlackJosh posted:

I’m so intrigued by how we as a society just completely gave a pass to Darrell Hammond doing black face on SNL multiple times. Even me. He was probably the best impressionist for those roles but I think back on it and am like “how did no one say anything about this?” Even now no one has really ever raised this as an issue.

Are you talking about when he would do Jesse Jackson? As I recall they made him pretty brown the first time and then consistently lightened him up over subsequent appearances. I don’t think the makeup was meant in a parody style, as opposed to the Ted Danson thing or other blackface stuff. although I have to admit watching one of those sketches recently I was like “drat that feels problematic”. But I defer to POC on that stuff.

E: is someone going to start a season 3 thread?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LividLiquid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0L_oJMhcs0

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Rarity posted:

I have one of these down the street. The pizza hut offerings are subpar relative to taco bell, but that just might be because it's a pizza hut.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Has the EW article been linked?

Also, a bit of random trivia from Schuur in there - three hundred years have passed.

Though as we've confirmed in that opening scene the passage of time in the afterlife isn't particularly relevant. They just reset time on earth like it ain't no thing

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

BlackJosh posted:

He’s a great impressionist and his name is Darrell so

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Regy Rusty posted:

Though as we've confirmed in that opening scene the passage of time in the afterlife isn't particularly relevant. They just reset time on earth like it ain't no thing

:eng101: Started a new timeline!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This song can get in your head for DAYS. I do hope it was playing in the writer’s room at some point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

This song can get in your head for DAYS. I do hope it was playing in the writer’s room at some point.

YEARS. I heard it roughly 10 years ago while in college, and I instantly knew what that first youtube link was up there^^^^ after I mentioned it. I still remember that weird 'commm-b'nation' phrasing on the response lyrics.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkfeyCLm3qY

EDIT: Oh, someone else linked it via an article, I didn't notice. Oh well.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
There's one near me that's a combo long john silvers and a&w

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i still think it's hilarious that the first time I heard that song i thought "this is catch but incredibly stupid" and flash forward like 2 years and I'm buying their album on vinyl and seeing them in concert

man RIP Das Racist. although all those guys are still out their doing their thing (one of them is Hari Kondabolu's brother which is crazy to me for some reason)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PURESTRAIN DOOR KEY

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
NBC is running a block of four episodes tonight from 8-10 (7-9 CDT)

8:00 Dance Dance Resolution
8:30 The Trolley Problem
9:00 Janet and Michael
9:30 Rhonda, Diana, Jake, and Trent

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Never thought about how potentially career threatening that role was and this was before Ironman. He would’ve been extremely “cancelled” if that movie came out today

I thought Tropic Thunder came out after Iron Man. I seem to recall Iron Man blowing up Downey Jr.'s career to huge levels all of a sudden (I had never heard of him before and Iron Man did bonkers at the box office) and then Tropic Thunder came out soon after and capitalized on it perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Superrodan posted:

I thought Tropic Thunder came out after Iron Man. I seem to recall Iron Man blowing up Downey Jr.'s career to huge levels all of a sudden (I had never heard of him before and Iron Man did bonkers at the box office) and then Tropic Thunder came out soon after and capitalized on it perfectly.

You're right - Iron Man May 2nd, Tropic Thunder August 13th.

• Locked thread