Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Can't you just submerge the boots in water for a few days?

That could be a good idea. I might try it.

Officer Sandvich posted:

move somewhere else and enjoy some relatively tick-free hiking until global warming makes the entire continent one big tick nest

That's the plan, Officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Planning on doing the flattop mountain trail up to Hallett Peak at RMNP tomorrow. I've worn shorts for all of my other hikes, but also haven't been above the treeline much. Will I be ok in shorts with a base layer or should I wear some pants or something? I still need to buy some actual hiking pants.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Shorts and t-shirts are good for hiking down into the 30s. If you're cold you aren't working hard enough / moving fast enough. Exceptions to the rule include downpours (you might need a jacket) and wind gusts. If you expect changing weather conditions, be prepared and take the rain pants and jacket as backup; they tend to provide enough warmth while you're moving.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

fknlo posted:

Planning on doing the flattop mountain trail up to Hallett Peak at RMNP tomorrow. I've worn shorts for all of my other hikes, but also haven't been above the treeline much. Will I be ok in shorts with a base layer or should I wear some pants or something? I still need to buy some actual hiking pants.

I hike in RMNP in shorts year round. There have been one or two hikes in the winter that had enough wind above the treeline that I regretted it, but generally if you're moving quickly you will notice very little difference with shorts. I was up at sky pond sunday in the park and I was more than fine with shorts and a long sleeve shirt (though I was pretty happy I had the raincoat once the storms rolled in).

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Do pika swim? Anyone seen it or have video of it?

Weekend was a bit disappointing for pictures where I was, so I can't beat Washington smokefest background image. People were out running the Cascade Crest 100mi marathon:

Lots of places for pikae:

But none underwater when I checked:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

fknlo posted:

You'll be fine. If you plan on doing a lot of hiking above the treeline, eventually you may want to get some light pants, if for no other reason than making sun protection simpler (or just wear long underwear under your shorts like a pro)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I felt under dressed compared to what most people were wearing, but shorts and a t-shirt up to the tree line and then just a thermal base layer top under the t-shirt after that kept me plenty warm, even with the unrelenting wind. I'm always just awestruck by the sheer beauty of everything here.

album here

I need to start playing with my good camera again instead of relying on my phone.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Question for Patagonia / Torres Del Paine.

I'm not quite sure on gloves to buy for a W trek in late December. I have a waterproof pair that I've worn in the mid 30s to high teens which will be overkill. Ideally I'd like one waterproof pair (or two) for the downpours and one pair that balances wind resistance and some DWR with breathability. Temperature should be in the high 50s during the day and low 40s at night. I'll have my trekking poles on me.

Also any other tips for people who have hiked the W would be appreciated. I'm doing Grey to the towers.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 3, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blinkman987 posted:

Question for Patagonia / Torres Del Paine.

I'm not quite sure on gloves to buy for a W trek in late December. I have a waterproof pair that I've worn in the mid 30s to high teens which will be overkill. Ideally I'd like one waterproof pair (or two) for the downpours and one pair that balances wind resistance and some DWR with breathability. Temperature should be in the high 50s during the day and low 40s at night. I'll have my trekking poles on me.

Also any other tips for people who have hiked the W would be appreciated. I'm doing Grey to the towers.

Haven't hiked the W in particular, but have sperged out about gloves for below freezing and found some stuff I like.

For one, just hiking warms up my hands pretty good, and jacket pockets take care of the rest. If it's below twenty I'd say, that's when gloves are nice for me, and I've found that I really love a good pair of wool or alpaca glittens. Both of those fibers are great for durability and have decent water wicking properties, and breathe sweat pretty nicely. Plus, the exposed fingertips are nice for doing detail work like working zippers or camp stuff, and the mitten flap is great if you're just hanging around camp.

REI carries these Fox River Glomitts, which are my go-to

https://www.rei.com/product/305045/fox-river-wool-glomitts

For single digits and below, these leather Kinco ski gloves are skookum as frig, and about 20$:

https://www.amazon.com/KINCO-Pigskin-Leather-HeatKeep-Thermal/dp/B01AT2XQ18

Downside is they are pretty clumsy for detail work, but the insulation is amazing on them. They even warn to be careful around really hot poo poo since you may not notice them burning with the insulation.

I alternated between these two gloves earlier this winter when camping in 18 below, and I've still got all my fingats, if that's any endorsement.

Just re-read your post, and the temps difference probably isn't helpful for you, but maybe the wool ones with a nylon waterproof shell or something? Honestly, wool dries out pretty quick after getting wet and does a good job insulating when wet... It's why old sailors jackets were made of wool.

You might also just want some cycling gloves or something for those temps since 40's are just dipping below shorts and tee shirts weather for me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Bottom Liner posted:

Alright, we have a week in Utah (and a day or two in the Grand Canyon) next month and I'm trying to finalize the plan. Probably spending 1 afternoon/night/morning at each park and then driving to the next so we get a good afternoon hike, sunset, dinner, star gazing, and a sunrise hike at each. Going to do a mix of camping on BLM land, park campgrounds, and maybe an Airbnb or two. Any hikes/spots or recommendations welcome:

Flying in to Vegas

Grand Canyon

Zion

Bryce

Capitol Reef

Canyonlands

Arches

Red Rocks for an afternoon on the way back to Vegas.

If I did this trip, I'd think it felt like I did nothing but driving and unpacking my poo poo. I'd do half of those places - maybe less, and only do 1 - 2 days driving. That's just me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

For lowish temperatures and breathability I really recommend these:
https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/randonee-glove

Soft shell with a pile lining.

Gloves are obvs a really personal thing, I've been through shitloads trying to get the right balance between dexterity and avoid non freezing cold injury. Like you mention I end up with a pair of soft shells and some full on goretex ones for if its pouring.

Also some Arcteryx / Hestra liner gloves to level up if need be.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

n8r posted:

If I did this trip, I'd think it felt like I did nothing but driving and unpacking my poo poo. I'd do half of those places - maybe less, and only do 1 - 2 days driving. That's just me.

It's only about 2 hours drive from place to place each day aside from the last two stops on the way back to Vegas, which we're already driving. It's 22 hours total over 8 days, but 8 of that is the last drive back to Vegas (with a stop at the Grand Canyon). And as someone mentioned, the driving in Utah is part of the experience anyways, some really incredible landscapes.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 4, 2018

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh no. My girlfriend just gave me the okay to do sections of the PCT as part of our vacation plans. I don’t know if I’d be able to contain myself once on the trail to not just thru hike it.
5, month long, sections I suppose is more reasonable over the course of a few years.

Leaving work and loving off for 9 months ended up not affecting my job prospects in the slightest I wonder if I can do that again

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oh no. My girlfriend just gave me the okay to do sections of the PCT as part of our vacation plans. I don’t know if I’d be able to contain myself once on the trail to not just thru hike it.
5, month long, sections I suppose is more reasonable over the course of a few years.

Leaving work and loving off for 9 months ended up not affecting my job prospects in the slightest I wonder if I can do that again

Depends on your industry probably but I certainly wouldn't hold a gap like that against anyone if they were doing something awesome like a thru hike.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

funkymonks posted:

Depends on your industry probably but I certainly wouldn't hold a gap like that against anyone if they were doing something awesome like a thru hike.

The AT was a major talking point in interviews yea. I imagine seeing it again would cause for concern. Not like I want to quit this place but I doubt I could reasonably request a leave of absence to blast through it in 4.5 months. Maybe though! My finances are in order so it’s not entirely out of question.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I know its not exactly hiking but I was grouse hunting this past weekend with my friend and our two dogs out near Cle Elum Washington. In the background, the enchantments. It was a beautiful day and about as comfortable as bird hunting can be (tee shirt weather).

On our drive in, we were going slow up this forest road. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a black flash jump out of a tree outside my passenger window. I stop the car.

"BEAR"

I hear a crash as the bear jumped out of the tree and ran into the woods. I didn't realize as we're looking for where the bear ran off to, 10 feet out of my passenger window, there's a cinnamon black bear cub sitting face level in the tree staring straight at us like :stare:. It was close enough that I could see its claws, eyes and facial expression. I took a good look at it in silence and then started moving because the dogs hadn't spotted it yet and I knew they would go apeshit if they saw it.

We drive up another mile or so before we get out of the car. I've never seen so much bear poo poo in my life. Luckily we didn't see any more the rest of the day but I did go home with a tasty blue grouse and an insanely tired pair of dogs. It was great.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
So this is a bit late as I actually did this a week ago, but as some may remember from a few pages back my friend and I were gonna walk to Mt. Fuji, up it, and back.

So we pretty much did; we ended up taking trains along a certain area both ways because 1) theres a winding stretch in the mountains where there's virtually no room on the side of the road and we'd be risking getting hit, and 2) starting the first day we set out there was a heat wave that hit Japan (we set out 8pm Aug 24th walking through the night, heat hit from Aug 25th), hitting 35C ambient, and we didn't want to risk heat stroke being out under that the entire day with no guarantee of shade, and needed to keep on schedule as I had some interviews in Tokyo the day after we planned to get back.

Either way a good time and a lot of walking; we hit 242km as per my friend's Garmin.

8/24 - We set out at 20:00 from Shinjuku station Blue Bottle Coffee. Early walk is nice because it's through the city and visually interesting and all.
8/25 - Walked until around past noon when we got to Hadano in Kanagawa, hit an Onsen for recovery and slept. There's a significant portion of that walk that's just a long a highway and fairly loud and annoying but still some nice scenery in other parts.
8/26 - We had planned to walk the rest of the way to Gotemba (~35km) as an easy day, then rest some more, but trained due to the above reasons. Left for Mt. Fuji at 20:00 very well rested and completely recovered.
8/27 - Got to Gotenba route 5th station about 00:30 after almost exactly 20km walk. Reached the 日の出館 (Hinode-kan; "Sunrise hut") at 05:00, in time for the sunrise, quite appropriately. Reached the peak at 08:00. Back down to the bottom by 13:00 after tooling around the peak for a bit. The major part of the route we took down is called the 大砂走り(Oosuna-bashiri; "The big sand run"), which is a collection of loose volcanic sand that cushions your steps in way that you can just lean back and literally run down most of the mountain. We hadn't actually planned for this and unless you have high shoes and gaiters you're gonna drat near ruin your shoes and socks with sand. My friend just took old Nikes he was done with so he just chucked his shoes after we were done. Took it easy and rested a couple times on the way back, getting to the hotel at 19:00
8/28 - Relatively easy day; decided to take a scenic route back and trained to Kouzu then walked to Enoshima, again taking some scenic detours and walking along the beach much of the way.
8/29 - Short scenic train along the coast to Kamakura, then walked from there to Tokyo.
8/30 - 02:00 arrived back at Shinjuku station Blue Bottle Coffee, exactly where we started. Last 5km of this was actually the most brutal by far of the whole trip; my friend was having achilles pain and apparently a heat rash of some sort that started to blister, and after walking throughout the whole midday for the first time in our trip my sweat wet my underwear enough that it caused friction and some serious chafing.

Here's some Mt. Fuji pictures just like every other ones you've probably seen, click for big on all:

Walking from Gotemba to Mt. Fuji takes you past a Japanese Self Defense Force base, and right next to it the US Base Camp Fuji (Marine base but there were some Air Force tooling around in ABUs too). After the main part of the base basically all the land to sides of the roads is various firing ranges and training facilities, such as this, a demolitions range.

As we were walking up the road I started discussing with my friend what the chances are there are boar in the woods and if it could be dangerous (however remote) to walk it. His position was that given it's a firing range wildlife would probably be driven off, but I said there were probably some around; lo and behold 5 minutes after that conversation we ran across some baby boar on the road who squealed and ran off into the woods, but fortunately didn't come across any adults.

Obligatory sunrise photos.

A little bit lighter and a little bit higher

Higher still, I think this is around the 8th station; after not meeting more than ~5 people in the night, there were far more people up here, because the Gotemba route merges with another much more popular route (Gotemba is the least popular route because the 5th station is much lower than all the others and it can be a harder climb as there's more sand; didn't matter for us because we were walking anyway), and some people who stayed the night in the huts were waking and heading to the top.

The top at last, very nice view and a pretty clear day. That's my friend in the middle who wanted a shot of him looking like he was falling off the edge.

Final climb to the true summit. Apparently there's often a line for an hour or longer on peak times, but we intentionally went to arrive on a Monday to avoid that.

At the true summit; I picked up a JSDF pattern camo shirt they sell at the 7/11 outside the base because I'm like that.

On the way down through the big sand run; not sure if this was fog or clouds.

Walked through Gotenba just the right time to get the sunbeams from the sunset; that's Fuij-san just to the right.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

LimburgLimbo posted:

So this is a bit late as I actually did this a week ago, but as some may remember from a few pages back my friend and I were gonna walk to Mt. Fuji, up it, and back.

So we pretty much did; we ended up taking trains along a certain area both ways because 1) theres a winding stretch in the mountains where there's virtually no room on the side of the road and we'd be risking getting hit, and 2) starting the first day we set out there was a heat wave that hit Japan (we set out 8pm Aug 24th walking through the night, heat hit from Aug 25th), hitting 35C ambient, and we didn't want to risk heat stroke being out under that the entire day with no guarantee of shade, and needed to keep on schedule as I had some interviews in Tokyo the day after we planned to get back.

Either way a good time and a lot of walking; we hit 242km as per my friend's Garmin.

8/24 - We set out at 20:00 from Shinjuku station Blue Bottle Coffee. Early walk is nice because it's through the city and visually interesting and all.
8/25 - Walked until around past noon when we got to Hadano in Kanagawa, hit an Onsen for recovery and slept. There's a significant portion of that walk that's just a long a highway and fairly loud and annoying but still some nice scenery in other parts.
8/26 - We had planned to walk the rest of the way to Gotemba (~35km) as an easy day, then rest some more, but trained due to the above reasons. Left for Mt. Fuji at 20:00 very well rested and completely recovered.
8/27 - Got to Gotenba route 5th station about 00:30 after almost exactly 20km walk. Reached the 日の出館 (Hinode-kan; "Sunrise hut") at 05:00, in time for the sunrise, quite appropriately. Reached the peak at 08:00. Back down to the bottom by 13:00 after tooling around the peak for a bit. The major part of the route we took down is called the 大砂走り(Oosuna-bashiri; "The big sand run"), which is a collection of loose volcanic sand that cushions your steps in way that you can just lean back and literally run down most of the mountain. We hadn't actually planned for this and unless you have high shoes and gaiters you're gonna drat near ruin your shoes and socks with sand. My friend just took old Nikes he was done with so he just chucked his shoes after we were done. Took it easy and rested a couple times on the way back, getting to the hotel at 19:00
8/28 - Relatively easy day; decided to take a scenic route back and trained to Kouzu then walked to Enoshima, again taking some scenic detours and walking along the beach much of the way.
8/29 - Short scenic train along the coast to Kamakura, then walked from there to Tokyo.
8/30 - 02:00 arrived back at Shinjuku station Blue Bottle Coffee, exactly where we started. Last 5km of this was actually the most brutal by far of the whole trip; my friend was having achilles pain and apparently a heat rash of some sort that started to blister, and after walking throughout the whole midday for the first time in our trip my sweat wet my underwear enough that it caused friction and some serious chafing.

Here's some Mt. Fuji pictures just like every other ones you've probably seen, click for big on all:

Walking from Gotemba to Mt. Fuji takes you past a Japanese Self Defense Force base, and right next to it the US Base Camp Fuji (Marine base but there were some Air Force tooling around in ABUs too). After the main part of the base basically all the land to sides of the roads is various firing ranges and training facilities, such as this, a demolitions range.

As we were walking up the road I started discussing with my friend what the chances are there are boar in the woods and if it could be dangerous (however remote) to walk it. His position was that given it's a firing range wildlife would probably be driven off, but I said there were probably some around; lo and behold 5 minutes after that conversation we ran across some baby boar on the road who squealed and ran off into the woods, but fortunately didn't come across any adults.

Obligatory sunrise photos.

A little bit lighter and a little bit higher

Higher still, I think this is around the 8th station; after not meeting more than ~5 people in the night, there were far more people up here, because the Gotemba route merges with another much more popular route (Gotemba is the least popular route because the 5th station is much lower than all the others and it can be a harder climb as there's more sand; didn't matter for us because we were walking anyway), and some people who stayed the night in the huts were waking and heading to the top.

The top at last, very nice view and a pretty clear day. That's my friend in the middle who wanted a shot of him looking like he was falling off the edge.

Final climb to the true summit. Apparently there's often a line for an hour or longer on peak times, but we intentionally went to arrive on a Monday to avoid that.

At the true summit; I picked up a JSDF pattern camo shirt they sell at the 7/11 outside the base because I'm like that.

On the way down through the big sand run; not sure if this was fog or clouds.

Walked through Gotenba just the right time to get the sunbeams from the sunset; that's Fuij-san just to the right.

0/10 you said you would do it in five days.

(still pretty nuts though, nice pictures)

I have yet to climb Fuji, though this seems like a pretty awesome way to do it. Definitely get to see the country for sure.

Cheesemaster200 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 7, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cheesemaster200 posted:

0/10 you said you would do it in five days.

(still pretty nuts though, nice pictures)

I have yet to climb Fuji, though this seems like a pretty awesome way to do it. Definitely get to see the country for sure.

Eeeh it was basically 5 days; 8/24 was leaving at night, 8/30 was just because we didn't get back before midnight and ended up back at 02:00, mostly due to needing to slow down for my friends achilles pain. Taking the train was the real faux pas, but it was rather legitimately dangerous for that stretch given the terrain and weather, so no real regrets there.

As an aside, we had two takeaways from this:
1) It's definitely better to not be too trim for this kind of low-intensity long distance stuff. My friend is way more fit than I am, does triathlons and the like, but by the end of the Fuji hike, which was about 22hrs, he had bonked out, while I was still good to go for however long needed. Actually I felt much better after Fuji than the first day, probably because the first day was ~65km of walking on concrete and I'm about 105kg with a 8kg pack (could have shaken down a bit more, but we also had to bring warm clothes and rain gear the entire way because of the potential for getting hit on the mountain), which adds up in strain on the feet over time. My only difficulty was at the final ascent to the caldera of Fuji where I needed to take it slow due to the altitude and my cardio being badio, where my friend was entirely fine.
2) It's hard to stay in Hotels when you're working on a schedule like this. This and wanting to keep to five (full) days was actually one of the bigger issues as to why we needed to take the train, otherwise we could have walked through the night to avoid the heat. Insofar as general fatigue I think we could have done with a bit less rest at some points, but we were forced to an extent to adjust our schedule to hotels check-in/check-out times. Arguably if we camped we could have made better time because of this, but quality of rest would definitely have suffered as well so it might have been the same difference.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I keep glazing over seeing images of a Long Walk. I am impressed but ugh that much concrete.

I started my hiking year today with Mailbox Peak. Tis a rather short hike (less than 5.7mi because I took the steeper spur trail descending) and a measly 1300m ascent. It was rather warm and humid, but nice and cool on top an hour after sunrise.

Numbers and pictures Tuesday, perhaps.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Went for a long one yesterday to Davis peak near Roslyn. 10 miles and 4000 feet of gain. It was mostly switchbacks through the forest until the last mile where you get out into the open, walk a ridgeline until you reach the peak where you have 360 degree views of surrounding peaks and lakes. Summit chief, mt Stuart, Daniels, glacier etc.

After driving 2 hours home, my legs tightened up and I could feel that my knees, quads, IT bands and hip flexors were sore. Then we stopped at chick fil a and I killed a few sandwiches, nuggets and fries and life was good.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
that's a lot of distance to cover with a foot pointing backwards.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Woof, that ledge... Gives me a twinge of anxiety looking at those loose rocks underneath you...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Woof, that ledge... Gives me a twinge of anxiety looking at those loose rocks underneath you...

It actually looks pretty tame in photos because they rarely do justice to exposure shots. There were a few parts of the ridge that were legitimately pucker worthy where the slope of the trail was working against you as if to encourage a slip and fall down a 100+ foot fall onto sharp rocks below. There were 3-4 narrow spots where a fall would have mostly likely been deadly.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I would have much preferred a nice easy ledge like that over the lovely couloir I went up a couple weekends ago. To be fair it was also one of the most rugged mountains in all of Idaho.

Do you ever get that feeling that the next move you make might end in disaster so you kind of stop and start to slowly backtrack a bit? Like a kind of poo poo is about to get real mood?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey thread,

I am starting training for a long trip next year (mountaineering seminar in Alaska) and I am curious what I should be doing to prevent blister agony. Are there certain socks that can help? Can I minimize the forming of blisters if I train barefoot and get used to it?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

I would have much preferred a nice easy ledge like that over the lovely couloir I went up a couple weekends ago. To be fair it was also one of the most rugged mountains in all of Idaho.

Do you ever get that feeling that the next move you make might end in disaster so you kind of stop and start to slowly backtrack a bit? Like a kind of poo poo is about to get real mood?

Something I always have to remind myself is that its easier going up than down. 10x easier to injure yourself going down than up.

Try to look ahead and plan your route before you start that way. Look for hazards and ideal footings/terrain. When going up coulars, I always try to find secure footing and hand holds versus talus or sand. All it takes is stepping onto a loose rock to go for a ride.

The other thing is while climbing up, turn around and get a sense of where you're going and where you came from.

If you get sketched out, best thing to do is to stop and collect yourself. Debate the risk vs reward or see if there is a better route.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Darn Tough. A single pair got me through a rainy and muddy ultramarathon with minimal blistering. They’re incredible. Lifetime warranty as well.

As for conditioning your feet, time on your feet on rough terrain and up and downhill is the best thing. Barefoot will toughen up your skin but not in the way that wearing shoes for extended hiking needs really, as a lot of the blisters come from heat and moisture, something the wool socks handle well.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Verman posted:

Something I always have to remind myself is that its easier going up than down. 10x easier to injure yourself going down than up.

Try to look ahead and plan your route before you start that way. Look for hazards and ideal footings/terrain. When going up coulars, I always try to find secure footing and hand holds versus talus or sand. All it takes is stepping onto a loose rock to go for a ride.

The other thing is while climbing up, turn around and get a sense of where you're going and where you came from.

If you get sketched out, best thing to do is to stop and collect yourself. Debate the risk vs reward or see if there is a better route.

I've normally found it easier to come down than up, mostly because you can see routes better and can pick a better option. In this case I didn't feel comfortable going down the way I had come up and actually had to bail off the opposite side into a canyon that luckily had an awesome game trail for me to follow. It did add around 10 miles to the hike so that kinda sucked.

This weekend I'll hopefully get a shot at one of Utah's more remote peaks. I just hope it's not another scree slog

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

It actually looks pretty tame in photos because they rarely do justice to exposure shots. There were a few parts of the ridge that were legitimately pucker worthy where the slope of the trail was working against you as if to encourage a slip and fall down a 100+ foot fall onto sharp rocks below. There were 3-4 narrow spots where a fall would have mostly likely been deadly.

Goddamn if I don't love a a good vista just as much as the next guy, but I've had my fill of really bad exposure for a good long while after coming up the Boucher Trail in the grand canyon. When we hit the developed park trails benched in a foot or two from the cliff by the Santa Fe railroad, I wanted to drop to my knees and kiss the ground.

The lady who leads the Wednesday hikes here in town recently lost her very experienced friend to a ledge like that, so that data point is stuck right at the forefront of my brain now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I need new trail runners -- is there a good budget recommendation? I don't run with them but I use them as tough walking shoes.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey thread,

I am starting training for a long trip next year (mountaineering seminar in Alaska) and I am curious what I should be doing to prevent blister agony. Are there certain socks that can help? Can I minimize the forming of blisters if I train barefoot and get used to it?

Kind of varies from person to person.

I use trail runners (Altras) and a thin pair of Injinji liner/toe socks. Haven't had a blister since making the switch.

If it's cold, I'll throw a pair of Darn Toughs on over the liners.

If you DO get a blister, cover it with a piece of leukotape. That stuff will stick on you for weeks, even through stream crossings and showers, and makes it possible to continue hiking on in relative comfort.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I need new trail runners -- is there a good budget recommendation? I don't run with them but I use them as tough walking shoes.

New at full price you're looking at $120+ for a solid pair. I'm a fan of Brooks, and cursory google searches shows some last-year-closeouts for 80-100.

I usually buy this kind of stuff in a store though, as even with same brand and model, fit can vary year to year. Expect to pay closer to MSRP in a store unless there's a sale or they do price matching.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Depends on what you need. I use trail runners as my hiking/backpacking footwear so I need something light, breathable, rugged, and able to dry out quickly. I prefer a stiffer sole so I don't feel rocks beneath, and a protected toe for scrambling. I prefer vibram soles if possible but those are getting harder to find in trail runners. Most that I'm looking at run between $120-160.

I'm on year three of my Merrell All out Peaks but the fabric on the top is starting to get sliced up from rocky scrambles but I will wear them until they die. I love these shoes and I'm bummed they "refreshed" the design and lost the vibram soles. I'll likely buy a new pair next spring but not sure what yet, probably some Saucony peregrines.

If you're just walking, literally anything could do and you probably don't need to spring for the higher end shoes. Something in the $70-100 range would probably suffice.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Verman posted:

Went for a long one yesterday to Davis peak near Roslyn. 10 miles and 4000 feet of gain. It was mostly switchbacks through the forest until the last mile where you get out into the open, walk a ridgeline until you reach the peak where you have 360 degree views of surrounding peaks and lakes. Summit chief, mt Stuart, Daniels, glacier etc.

After driving 2 hours home, my legs tightened up and I could feel that my knees, quads, IT bands and hip flexors were sore. Then we stopped at chick fil a and I killed a few sandwiches, nuggets and fries and life was good.

Heh, last time I was up Davis, we got hit with a thunderstorm outta nowhere. Had to get the gently caress off the ridge while lightning strikes hit 100 yards away and then ran down the switchbacks in a hailstorm. Good times!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

khysanth posted:

Kind of varies from person to person.

I use trail runners (Altras) and a thin pair of Injinji liner/toe socks. Haven't had a blister since making the switch.

If it's cold, I'll throw a pair of Darn Toughs on over the liners.

If you DO get a blister, cover it with a piece of leukotape. That stuff will stick on you for weeks, even through stream crossings and showers, and makes it possible to continue hiking on in relative comfort.

But I can't use trail runners on a glacier in Alaska. So, do I use trail runners with liner/toe socks while training to harden my feet? Or are you saying I should be using liner/toe socks with whatever footwear on the glacier?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

theHUNGERian posted:

But I can't use trail runners on a glacier in Alaska. So, do I use trail runners with liner/toe socks while training to harden my feet? Or are you saying I should be using liner/toe socks with whatever footwear on the glacier?

Get a pair of mountaineering boots that fit your feet. Don’t choose by brand. Don’t choose by “ooh I got a good deal.” Don’t choose by look. Get a pair that fit YOUR feet. Couple them with a pair of good wool socks (Darn Tough makes great mountaineering socks). Now wear them as much as you can before your trip. Wear them on stairs. Wear them hiking up hills. Wear them on flats. Wear them on downhills. Now accept that your feet will never be comfortable in them and they are heavy and suck. They are marginally less sucky on glaciers in crampons.

If you are going to use sock liners, know this: find out if you’re a sock liner person before your trip. Sock liners cause blisters for some people.
It’s been my experience that two layers of socks sliding on each other is a terrible terrible thing. But it works for others. Go fig! :shrug:

FWIW, I use a pair of La Sportiva Baruntse for high altitude and only wear one pair of heavy Smartwool mountaineering socks. This kept me blister free and warm climbing Aconcagua. I would supplement them with a pair of overboots for Denali. But no liners.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Verman posted:

Went backpacking at the thunder mountain lakes in washingtons apline lakes wilderness. Really awesome hike. IIRC, about 14 miles RT, and ~4k elevation gain to an alpine lake surrounded by granite with 2-3 peaks that are 300' and easy class 3 scrambling. The lake is really clear. Another lake of similar size is about 300 feet below.

It was an awesome hike and one of my new favorite places. Friday night was clear with clouds rolling in early evening but clearing out during the night but I was too tired to take any night time shots on what would be the only clear night of the weekend. Got up to piss around 3am and it was so foggy with a headlamp I could only see about 5 feet in front of me. Woke up Sat am to smoke. Wind had changed direction from westward to eastward. It stayed smokey the whole weekend.

We scrambled every peak around the lake, swam and watched the smokey sunset. We chatted with PCT hikers who were nearly finished with 3-4 months of hiking. Overall it was a great weekend.

A few pics, but I took a poo poo ton more. All taken with a Sony RX100m2

<3 how far is this from The Enchantments? is it near Leavenworth as well?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

MMD3 posted:

<3 how far is this from The Enchantments? is it near Leavenworth as well?

It’s a spur off the PCT up by Stevens Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hiked up to Sky Pond at RMNP today. Just, wow.