Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i would like to think i'm totally above it all and fully cognizant of the artifice, but i absolutely fall into the authenticity trap with outtakes/bloopers/editor interaction style stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

AriadneThread posted:

it's a new lindsey ellis video about the slow and painful grinding of souls into profit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJEtCvb2Kw

drat it's been forever since i heard about lonelygirl15

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AriadneThread posted:

it's a new lindsey ellis video about the slow and painful grinding of souls into profit

A meta analysis of meta in Youtube videos that manages to be insightful rather than derivative. Masterful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Future generations will view the way we use social media and the algorithm in the same way we see radium water or those booths where people would blast their feet with x-rays to see how their shoes fit. I can see whole seminar rooms of future college students with jaws agape in horror at how we so carelessly abused such dangerous forces that we barely understood.

Although there’s always been a hint of this illusion of spontaneity in mass media. Was Top Gear ever really about anything other than enjoying racism and being trash?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: youtube is a giant tupperware party

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, at least Sargon has never crossed the influencer threshold and gotten an endorsement deal with audible.com or whatever, although I guess the algorithm would match him with Fred Perry polos or red suspenders.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Conversely I could see this as the end of authenticity. Since all people want is the illusion of it why should creators offer the real thing? The next wave of big youtubers will probably offer a more constructed hyper real style like reality tv. Imagine a world where some VC backed 20 something pules a Logan Paul esc stunt, apologizes, then goes to rehab and films all of it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OmanyteJackson posted:

Conversely I could see this as the end of authenticity. Since all people want is the illusion of it why should creators offer the real thing? The next wave of big youtubers will probably offer a more constructed hyper real style like reality tv. Imagine a world where some VC backed 20 something pules a Logan Paul esc stunt, apologizes, then goes to rehab and films all of it

(A)lways
(B)e
re(C)ording

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still think the japanese opening is better.

You can't mention it and not link it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

It's so early 90s. :allears:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I'm just glad someone is willing to speak the truth about fondant.

Bar Crow fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 12, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The real truth is that icing is at best a decorative necessity and I cannot fathom Americans` fascination with it. Have you tried making good cakes, instead?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I like the texture of most icings. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I just spent a couple of weeks back in Israel, and let me tell you, getting used to American baked goods again is going to be an adjustment. :smith:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still think the japanese opening is better.

The videoclip is extra goofy, in case you didn't see it.

But yeah sometimes japanese productions get tasked to adapt western comic books so you get "Oh this guy that appeared once in a TinTin comic book in the like the 1960's that's like, the dog of some scientist dude, whose strips are sort of obscure? Yeah he gets a whole show and THIS IS HIS THEMESONG."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wish I had a .gif of Cable floating by at a 30-degree angle blasting away with his guns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a place on the forums to discuss content creators like Team Four Star or other abridged series producers?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vanderdeath posted:

You can't mention it and not link it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

It's so early 90s. :allears:

RISING!!!

(I felt like I already post too much youtube videos)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kunster posted:

The videoclip is extra goofy, in case you didn't see it.

But yeah sometimes japanese productions get tasked to adapt western comic books so you get "Oh this guy that appeared once in a TinTin comic book in the like the 1960's that's like, the dog of some scientist dude, whose strips are sort of obscure? Yeah he gets a whole show and THIS IS HIS THEMESONG."

Holy poo poo a Cubitus tv show, I read those as a kid.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a place on the forums to discuss content creators like Team Four Star or other abridged series producers?

I guess you can do it here but there's a lot of discussion for TFS in the actual Dragonball thread.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there's a new red letter media video where mike just shares his star trek fanfiction for 25 minutes, oh my god

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anything is better than hearing them talk about Star Wars

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You know what's more annoying than people talking about Star Wars? People whinging about people talking about Star Wars. Especially when nobody's actually talking about Star Wars.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nine-gear crow posted:

You know what's more annoying than people talking about Star Wars? People whinging about people talking about Star Wars. Especially when nobody's actually talking about Star Wars.

But then how will you know that their are people out there with incorrect takes on SW. the worst sin.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Bringing it back around to Lindsay, that SpaceX shirt she was wearing struck me as a pretty subtle tongue in cheek thing to put on.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Bringing it back around to Lindsay, that SpaceX shirt she was wearing struck me as a pretty subtle tongue in cheek thing to put on.

I noticed it but didn't really spot the reference/meaning.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The real truth is that icing is at best a decorative necessity and I cannot fathom Americans` fascination with it. Have you tried making good cakes, instead?

You gotta understand two things about us Americans:

1) We have been fed HFCS and MSG in everything because it's cheap, so now we only appreciate the flavor of sugar and fat, both at punch you in the face levels.
2) We firmly believe that the prettier a thing is, the better a thing is, even if that involves piling fondant and inedible dragees on a cake that shares an ancestor with styrofoam.

khwarezm posted:

Sephyr posted:

I noticed it but didn't really spot the reference/meaning.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1039602701955264512

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Really the dumbest thing about American food is pretending that something having actual flavor is a bad thing only enjoyed only by the plebs. Which appears to be a side affect of believing that what the British eat is actual food and not edible sadness.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

Really the dumbest thing about American food is pretending that something having actual flavor is a bad thing only enjoyed only by the plebs. Which appears to be a side affect of believing that what the British eat is actual food and not edible sadness.

I remember reading something recently that the blandness of British (and possibly some American) cuisine is because they stem from recipes that were conceived during times of poverty or conservation, when people had to come up with ways to make what little food they had.

As for actual content, MarsReviews did a video on Xiaolin Showdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4G2j0PW2I

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AriadneThread posted:

this is so, so drat good

I do find it interesting that increased production values run counter to feelings of authenticity, or at least the appearance of increased production values. How To Cake It isn't dinged for higher production values despite the fact that they've a higher subscriber count and more merchandising, so the polish added to the show isn't a deterrent towards it's appeal to authenticity, while Man About Cake started polished and less spontaneous and gets called out for it.

But Man About Cake isn't trying to become a YouTube Show, it's trying to become a TV Show, and so it has a production style more suited towards TV than YouTube, whereas How To Cake It is inversed, it started as a YouTube Show and wouldn't really fit on a TV network.

So the environment that you're watching something from has an influence in how you judge that show and how you approach viewing it. Which begs the question, why does TV production styling not work as well in YouTube's environment? Particularly when many of YouTube's highest earning shows have comparable budgets to TV productions themselves?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

I remember reading something recently that the blandness of British (and possibly some American) cuisine is because they stem from recipes that were conceived during times of poverty or conservation, when people had to come up with ways to make what little food they had.

I mean, Southern and Soul Food (and a lot of "ethnic" food) were conceived by desperately poor people and they manage to have a shitload of flavor.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Which begs the question, why does TV production styling not work as well in YouTube's environment? Particularly when many of YouTube's highest earning shows have comparable budgets to TV productions themselves?

My guess would be that people are going to youtube expecting the unfiltered authenticity, so anything like a real TV show feels out of place, like a box of Cap'n Crunch at a farmer's market. Conversely, I doubt a TV show consisting of some random dork talking to the camera would do too well on the telly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Peep Show got 9 seasons.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Max Wilco posted:

As for actual content, MarsReviews did a video on Xiaolin Showdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4G2j0PW2I

Poor people exist outside the English ya know

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mike and Rich ReView Mike’s hastily written one-page treatment pitch for that new Jean-Luc Picard show CBS is doing now that Les “Sweet Jesus I Hate Star Trek” Moonves has been #MeToo’d into oblivion. And it’s kinda sad and revealing, not gonna lie. It’s kind of a shame to see Mike falling so hard into backwards-looking nostalgia especially for a franchise that was all about moving ahead (Enterprise, JJTrek, and Discovery notwithstanding).

“Star Wars fans got the Millennium Falcon back twice, I want the Enterprise-D back.” I want that thing from my childhood back that makes me smile (I type as a cut-away placard of the D looms over my shoulder behind me :nyoron:) . God I’m sick of this 30-something male nostalgia crap, like it was fun for a while but the more it goes on the more I agree with our old buddy Kylo Ren: “let the past die, kill it if you have to.” Burn down the loving temple and make something new out of its ashes.

Also Mike Stoklasa hates the Enterprise-E, the most perfect starship ever designed. That makes me mad.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, Southern and Soul Food (and a lot of "ethnic" food) were conceived by desperately poor people and they manage to have a shitload of flavor.

The story of the British Empire is a bunch of rich imperalists conquering the world to gain access to spices and deciding they like none of them.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For fans of cheese cake, here's a 2 hour fashion breakdown of all the customes in SNK Heroines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqlcpwP9XLg

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Mike and Rich ReView Mike’s hastily written one-page treatment pitch for that new Jean-Luc Picard show CBS is doing now that Les “Sweet Jesus I Hate Star Trek” Moonves has been #MeToo’d into oblivion. And it’s kinda sad and revealing, not gonna lie. It’s kind of a shame to see Mike falling so hard into backwards-looking nostalgia especially for a franchise that was all about moving ahead (Enterprise, JJTrek, and Discovery notwithstanding).

“Star Wars fans got the Millennium Falcon back twice, I want the Enterprise-D back.” I want that thing from my childhood back that makes me smile (I type as a cut-away placard of the D looms over my shoulder behind me :nyoron:) . God I’m sick of this 30-something male nostalgia crap, like it was fun for a while but the more it goes on the more I agree with our old buddy Kylo Ren: “let the past die, kill it if you have to.” Burn down the loving temple and make something new out of its ashes.

Also Mike Stoklasa hates the Enterprise-E, the most perfect starship ever designed. That makes me mad.

I pity Mike Stoklassa. He’s a man out of time, too old to change or grow. Yet I think it’s sweet that as cynical and nihilistic as his behavior and diet suggest he is, he still loves the pure optimism of Star Trek, and the purest expression of that optimism at that, even though late-80s Gene Roddenberry was way crazier on his best day than George Lucas coming up with Darth Icky.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I like Mike.

He’s my spirit animal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Poor people exist outside the English ya know

They do, but rationing during and after World War II did make a fair number of ingredients (particularly imported ones) difficult or impossible to get, which had a significant adverse effect on the national diet. That said, British food is far from universally terrible - we do a damned good pie, and a well-prepared Sunday roast is delicious.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sooooo much good food the world over was originally poor food. Put a rich person in the kitchen and they'll probably do something stupid like mince Kobe beef and form it into a burger patty or cover a pizza in gold leaf.

This is a gross generalisation obviously but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Puppy Time posted:

You gotta understand two things about us Americans:

1) We have been fed HFCS and MSG in everything because it's cheap, so now we only appreciate the flavor of sugar and fat, both at punch you in the face levels.
2) We firmly believe that the prettier a thing is, the better a thing is, even if that involves piling fondant and inedible dragees on a cake that shares an ancestor with styrofoam.

That explains velvet "cake", I guess. "Ooh, it's bland but we added RED FOOD COLORING!!!!"

Did you know you could film essays IN YOUR PAJAMAS?!