Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Here you go dude, height and layback is the main thing but also reach as that determines how much weight you place on the saddle vs the bars. From what I remember gym bikes tend to have numbered settings so hopefully you can just remember after setting yourself up the first time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc

Also 79lbs is loving fantastic. :hfive:

Thanks! I'll try it out when I go to the gym again. Everything is numbered, so it should be just a matter of recording my digits and keeping them for the next time. Too bad I can't monkey with the handlebars to adjust my reach.... Or maybe I can, I've not really looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Milestone achieved: weighed in at 329.8, so that's officially 10 lbs lost since starting all this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fender Anarchist posted:

Milestone achieved: weighed in at 329.8, so that's officially 10 lbs lost since starting all this.

That's awesome. Keep rocking man!

I've fallen off my daily cardio and really need to find time to get back on it but my body clock is a total mess right now.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: bike seats, is it still a thing where you're not supposed to get the softer, more comfortable seats if it's bothering your rear end? My bike friends swear you don't want the super soft gel seat, but on motorcycles you often get the softer seat if you're doing long rides.

My buddy just dropped 35lbs in two months by doing no carb and only eating breakfast then dinner. Assuming roughly 10lbs of that is water weight, that's still 25lbs over 8 weeks (3lbs/week), which is a really high rate of weight loss. He doesn't lift though, so dropping carbs and cutting calories more than is recommended doesn't really affect him. I'm almost tempted to do a month of that and skip lifting, but that pretty much guarantees I'll lose more muscle than I'd like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: bike seats, is it still a thing where you're not supposed to get the softer, more comfortable seats if it's bothering your rear end? My bike friends swear you don't want the super soft gel seat, but on motorcycles you often get the softer seat if you're doing long rides.

My buddy just dropped 35lbs in two months by doing no carb and only eating breakfast then dinner. Assuming roughly 10lbs of that is water weight, that's still 25lbs over 8 weeks (3lbs/week), which is a really high rate of weight loss. He doesn't lift though, so dropping carbs and cutting calories more than is recommended doesn't really affect him. I'm almost tempted to do a month of that and skip lifting, but that pretty much guarantees I'll lose more muscle than I'd like.

He probably overdid it, I was told my loss (33 in 100 days) was borderline unhealthy last year so I toned things down drastically and started lifting more.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God I'm going nuts with spreadsheets and it's probably unhealthy. I should be firmly on track for 240 by the end of 1 year though. I don't think I've been that light since like freshman year of high school.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Leg day had ... issues. Did an easy set of squats at 135, ten reps. Put on 185, decided to get out the box just so I could keep depth consistent. Did two semi box-squats and then felt a sharp loving pain in my low back. So much for that. Dropped to 135 and just went slowly, did light stuff the remainder of the workout. Still stiff and with a vague discomfort in the low back just left to midline, so I just skipped the gym today altogether. Ugh.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: bike seats, is it still a thing where you're not supposed to get the softer, more comfortable seats if it's bothering your rear end?

Blind leading blind here, but that's what I've always heard.

Did my athletic clinic for tomorrow's Highland Games. Fuckin stoked.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Leg day had ... issues. Did an easy set of squats at 135, ten reps. Put on 185, decided to get out the box just so I could keep depth consistent. Did two semi box-squats and then felt a sharp loving pain in my low back. So much for that. Dropped to 135 and just went slowly, did light stuff the remainder of the workout. Still stiff and with a vague discomfort in the low back just left to midline, so I just skipped the gym today altogether. Ugh.

Have someone who knows what they're doing watch your form, or record it on your phone. I'll bet you're not using correct form, and putting undue pressure on your lower back. I certainly do if I'm not really careful when I do squats.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Form check time. Get someone local to do it if possible.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

sharkytm posted:

Have someone who knows what they're doing watch your form, or record it on your phone. I'll bet you're not using correct form, and putting undue pressure on your lower back. I certainly do if I'm not really careful when I do squats.

Liquid Communism posted:

Form check time. Get someone local to do it if possible.
If I go back to squatting anything of any significance, yeah. My low back is on shaky ground as is, so I think it's time to hang up anything with any danger of exacerbating a blown disc. (Hypothesized, anyway, until my primary decides it warrants imaging.) So that form check may never happen. In the meanwhile I think I'll concentrate on my hi and back flexibility and stick to other leg exercises.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Could try front squats as well. I gave up on squats that weren't body weight altogether after a herniated disc and double hip replacements, though. :v:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

Could try front squats as well. I gave up on squats that weren't body weight altogether after a herniated disc and double hip replacements, though. :v:
They'd probably work fine, since even just going high-bar was enough to make up for my relative inflexibility in my hips. I'm pretty sure I now what I did wrong when I did the quasi-box-squat, but even so I'll grab someone for a form check no matter what variant I use, provided I bother going back at all. I've already more or less accepted the fact that I'm done deadlifting, so it's likely time to admit that squats are on their way out as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

could try working on those hips with toddler squats to try and loosen them up. I still couldn't keep my back from rounding with stretching all the time so I gave up. Still stretching, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MomJeans420 posted:

Absolutly correct. A seat that fits you is far more important and it wont be a cushy one - you want good sit bone support ad minimal tissue pressure. And saddle preference is 100% personal outside of fit. Get the fit right then pick one you feel best on.

Mine for a long time was this - https://www.specialized.com/au/en/s-works-power/p/156019?color=230742-156019 S-Works Power. I have a tendancy to roll forward on the nose of the saddle which makes traditional saddles problematic. I found a kind of solution with the Specialized Sitero but still had chafing issues until I got my hands on pretty much the first S-Works Power in the country annnnnnd .... there's a good reason why they dont pop up on the second hand market much, they are amazing. They were going to be a womens specific saddle but some male testers went haaaaang on, my dick isnt falling asleep anymore - they pretty much reset the seat market overnight. My present Power is carbon with titanium rails, minimally padded and still by far the most comfortable saddle for me I have come across despite next to no padding and hellishly stiff. Ive never had a numb dick either with one no matter how far I ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1831744908 - kicked it off well this week, target is 300+ kms for the week.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Fronts or goblets. Goblet squats are good for a challenge while keeping you to weights you can keep curled.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Double posting because it's quiet in here.

14/60 miles on foot so far this month. The first week being unrelenting rain screwed my pace up, so I'm going to have to have a couple long weekend hikes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I don't feel like I've lost that much weight, and i certainly don't see a difference in the mirror. Buuuut.... saw my family tonight and they were all commenting that my face looks lighter, clothes seem to fit better, etc. Granted they all know I'm working on my weight so it's possible they were just blowing smoke up my rear end, but either way, getting that sweet sweet external validation feels real nice.

Now if I can just get back into jeans sizes they carry on the racks...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I was wrong about the sinus infection, turns out it was mono. I've been laid out for a week and a half, but I can finally eat solid food without coughing up aspirated chunks, so that's nice. I'm getting extremely restless being in bed every day

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.strava.com/activities/1833825786

103.7 / 300 for the week.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Fender Anarchist posted:

I don't feel like I've lost that much weight, and i certainly don't see a difference in the mirror. Buuuut.... saw my family tonight and they were all commenting that my face looks lighter, clothes seem to fit better, etc. Granted they all know I'm working on my weight so it's possible they were just blowing smoke up my rear end, but either way, getting that sweet sweet external validation feels real nice.

Now if I can just get back into jeans sizes they carry on the racks...

You really dont notice it at first, and people who see you sporadically will absolutely notice it way before you do. Good work! It's working!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well I don't trust the accuracy of the scale in question 100% (it was a display model lol) but gently caress me if I weigh 313lb after cutting back on eating everything for nearly a month now, I was definitely overdue to start.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Another session down with the trainer. we'll see if the hurricane gets in the way of Thursday's session. (probably will)
Weight is holding pretty steady in the 290s.

Thinking of going no carb/IF again with the GF for a month or so. it would make ignoring the Halloween candy super easy. :D

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Did a killer chest/back/shoulder day. Feeling amazing, and I'm starting my prep for next year's Highland Games.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Starting to get past the initial pain and into 'this sucks but I feel good after' so I'm picking up the pace on my mornings.

4.5 miles today, 18.5/60 for September.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Did arms yesterday! Got 50lbs x 12 x 3 barbell on biceps. Tomorrow is shoulder day best day!!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.strava.com/activities/1836175033

172.4 / 300

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Maybe lame by comparison but done stationary biking the last two mornings and went out for a mild hike with my wife last night. This on top of mostly keeping to calorie targets.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Haven't done a bike race since the end of June and have been gearing up for cyclocross season. We have 6 local wednesday night beer league races, and then there is a regional series, Potentially I could do like 11-12 races in 6 weeks but that is a lot and I think my current good fitness would really suffer by the end. The race I want to do the best is not until nov 3rd, at a brewery in town.

Cyclocross is kind of weird. You're on a bike kind of like a road bike, but it has bigger, off road tires. And then they put barriers and obstacles in the course so you have to get off your bike and jump over them and then hop back on. Races are like an hour, tops, and then you drink beer.

Yesterday I was out doing some practice with the shop owner's 15 year old son, who is like already faster than everyone in town. starts and sprints and riding in sand practice. Today my goal was to get in a good hill climbing workout, with short hills under 5 min or so. It wasn't bad, and on strava I set some pretty good times and PRs, but I felt a little off. Think turning yesterday's practice with a lot of sprints and hard efforts into a 3 hour ride was a little much for what I wanted to do today. But it's a trade off between getting in good volume and doing more specific work and high intensity stuff. Will have to do better on the next hill interval day and probably just go out by myself and suffer instead of making it a group ride.

Anyhow here's today's ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/1837992158

and here's my CX bike

It's got quite a few miles on it now (approaching 8000) but is still in good shape. New bikes pretty much all have hydraulic disc brakes, which mine is missing, but the new calipers I put on last year work pretty well. I also updated the drivetrain to 1x11 which is simpler and less likely to drop chains. This year I'm going to try racing on tubular tires, which you glue onto the rim. I was planning on new wheels, but just a tubeless setup, and then the shop owner gave me some wheels for free. Benefit of still being on rim brakes- lots of guys have old wheels just sitting around that they can't use any more. Downside is that tubulars are about twice as much as a regular cross tire, and getting them glued properly is like a 4 day process apparently.

Near future plans are mountain bike tomorrow, CX practice friday, group road ride saturday, not sure on sunday. Probably won't be fresh enough to do intervals so maybe another road ride. Just trying to plan out a week around getting in workouts and going to group rides and resting is kind of hard. And then you might have a workout planned but you don't feel good or there's a thunderstorm or something.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 13, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Did some hiit with a trainer today. Feels good to run / job nearly a mile on a machine.

I've never done that before. I mean, I've been on an elliptical and done a mile or two on them, but I've never ran/jogged a mile on one before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our wellness coordinator at work just put in his resignation so that stinks, he was helping me prepare for the Thanksgiving 5K.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

26/60 for September so far. Going jogging again in an hour or two.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.strava.com/activities/1840562067

248 / 300... wanted to go further, flats kinda sapped my real will to push it much further in distance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

+4 miles to make a round 30/60. On track to beat goal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.strava.com/activities/1841983142

304.4 / 300, weekly goal done

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Good set of intervals today

https://www.strava.com/activities/1846700522

I think. They were hard but I maybe I had a little more. Going harder the pace probably would have fallen off after the first 3-4 instead of being able to do all 10 and finish strong though.

One more week before racing starts, need to work on the skills a little more and order some really loving expensive tires. ugh. Who needs to buy some car parts?

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 17, 2018

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

1st day back with the trainer after 5 days off from the hurricane.
The days you least feel like working out are the ones you should.
Lord did it suck, but it's another 55min workout in the books.
I'm down to 290 as of this morning!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Excellent good work dude. I have frequently regretted not going to the gym, and I have never regretted going.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

My physiotherapist has cleared me to return to the gym to do stuff other than rehab exercise.

Get hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I did some interval running on an elliptical today (and leg day was yesterday no less) and it didn't suck. Well, it did, but in a good way.

Tomorrow is my upper body day, and I'll probably run again on the elliptical tomorrow, too, if I have time