Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Having complaints is fine but can we please not turn this thread into yet another Marisha Hate Station? Reddit already exists.

I will always find it bizzarre that she gets the worst of it when as far as I know liam and laura literally never remember sneak attack and hunters mark. I never watched all the way through though so I can't tell if that gets sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

kingcom posted:

I will always find it bizzarre that she gets the worst of it when as far as I know liam and laura literally never remember sneak attack and hunters mark. I never watched all the way through though so I can't tell if that gets sorted.

No. Liam will never ever learn when he gets sneak attack or not and Laura will be forgetting Hunters Mark in the last fight of the campaign. Liam also gets super loving annoying about his hasted flying speed. Taliesin had the wrong proficiency modifier for the last... two or three months of the campaign? Because he just forgot to update his sheet when he leveled up and Matt never noticed - and yes it did end up causing him to fail things by inches. People praise Travis for knowing his class so well but I mean poo poo, he was playing a barbarian. There's so few mechanics involved.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Travis was still constantly forgetting that additional d4 from enlarged. So it's not like he was flawless, even with a barb.

Also, people being rules expert, or even knowing the basics of their class, is the last reason you should be watching this show. Otherwise you'll just go insane.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hulk Smash! posted:

Travis was still constantly forgetting that additional d4 from enlarged. So it's not like he was flawless, even with a barb.

Also, people being rules expert, or even knowing the basics of their class, is the last reason you should be watching this show. Otherwise you'll just go insane.

I mean dnd is kind of a complicated game with lots of situational things that can change it up, so messing up temp modifiers is just going to happen but yeah core class features are things you should get into your head after a couple of years lol.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

kingcom posted:

but yeah core class features are things you should get into your head after a couple of years lol.
And yet, here we are at campaign 2 where they still have trouble with action/bonus action :v:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
IDK, Keyleth was right to be mad, and Raishan kept pushing her buttons.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
One way or the other Beauregard is a really fun character and since Molly's death has become significantly more interesting.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Archyduke posted:

One way or the other Beauregard is a really fun character and since Molly's death has become significantly more interesting.

Truth.

As for people not knowing the rules, I don't either so it doesn't necessarily bother me.

What bothers me is WHY AREN'T YOU ROLLING DAMAGE AT THE SAME TIME AS THE ATTACK OMG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :argh:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hulk Smash! posted:

And yet, here we are at campaign 2 where they still have trouble with action/bonus action :v:

The bonus action/action thing is genuinely one of the most confusing written and designed mechanics outside of obscure indie rpgs that i've ever seen though. They have an action and another type of action that is neither a bonus, nor an action, nor does it function anything like an action and cannot be used in place of an action or vice versa. I cannot believe how many times I've needed to explain this to people lol.

Pinwiz11 posted:

What bothers me is WHY AREN'T YOU ROLLING DAMAGE AT THE SAME TIME AS THE ATTACK OMG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :argh:

God right, I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one. Also rolling advantage checks one by one. I tried a pub game when 5e was new and I pretty sure someone thought I was cheating when I roll 2d20 + 1d8 all at once to determine my attack with advantage + damage. I'm seeing it more and more lately that people don't do this and are surprised they can.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe D&D just sucks.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe D&D just sucks.

:hmmyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

kingcom posted:

Well, she's the GM's girlfriend so "obviously" she gets special treatment. Why get mad at her instead of Matt? Well, because she's a woman.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I think it's the overacting. Liam and Percy do it semi often too. Just not as much and they don't seem to steal the spotlight. They wait for their moment to shine.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I find Marisha's overacting way more tolerable than Taliesin's.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I found Keyleth to be very second hand embarrassing a lot of the time, but Beauregard never is so that's definitely a specifically Keyleth thing, not a specifically Marisha thing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I found Keyleth to be very second hand embarrassing a lot of the time, but Beauregard never is so that's definitely a specifically Keyleth thing, not a specifically Marisha thing.

Beauregard is second hand self-loathing.

Also Caleb. Also Knott.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Kraps posted:

I find Marisha's overacting way more tolerable than Taliesin's.

Actually I think Liam's is the worst. It's happening now. He pulls someone aside(usually Laura or Marisha) and starts talking about how they could die tomorrow every third episode or so. And making broad statements the other person doesn't agree with and he keeps insisting until they roll with it.
Like now. He's telling Vex that Percy only listens to her and Vex keeps saying nah he listens to Keyleth and also you. And he keeps saying no until she agrees.
It's ok to do your 'we could die tomorrow' speech, but not all of the time for 10+ minutes each time. And its the same speech everytime. I hope Vax doesn't die so I don't hear an hour of him going to each party member and apologizing for it and another hour trying to talk to the Raven queen.
Post Voragul right now and its just off-putting right now.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

And now again Grog and Scanlan save it by showing up and attacking Keyleth who turned into an elephant and is stupidly trying to knock a door down for some reason?
Their buddy cop dynamic is perfection.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Vax is easily my least favorite party member in the first campaign and a lot of it stems from his post-RQ behavior. My main gripe is that he keeps displaying madly reckless, near suicidal behavior that he never suffers the consequences for, but other people around him do. And Vax never learns from those mistakes. He just keeps making them, over and over and over again, all while walking through nearly every situation untouched because he's a rogue who is quite difficult to kill. Liam's said before that he the player knows they're stupid decisions but they're "what Vax would do" so he keeps doing them. Which would have been fine - if Vax ever grew as a character as a result of those actions.

I once described the difference between Vax and Percy like this: Percy and Vax are both huge dumbass fuckups who make gigantic mistakes that get themselves and people around them hurt or killed. The difference between them is that Vax admits he's wrong and agrees he made mistakes, but he keeps doing what he was always doing. Percy is too proud to admit he hosed up and it takes a lot to even get an apology out of him, much less an admission of guilt - but by god he won't make the same mistake twice.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Vax is easily my least favorite party member in the first campaign and a lot of it stems from his post-RQ behavior. My main gripe is that he keeps displaying madly reckless, near suicidal behavior that he never suffers the consequences for, but other people around him do. And Vax never learns from those mistakes. He just keeps making them, over and over and over again, all while walking through nearly every situation untouched because he's a rogue who is quite difficult to kill. Liam's said before that he the player knows they're stupid decisions but they're "what Vax would do" so he keeps doing them. Which would have been fine - if Vax ever grew as a character as a result of those actions.

I once described the difference between Vax and Percy like this: Percy and Vax are both huge dumbass fuckups who make gigantic mistakes that get themselves and people around them hurt or killed. The difference between them is that Vax admits he's wrong and agrees he made mistakes, but he keeps doing what he was always doing. Percy is too proud to admit he hosed up and it takes a lot to even get an apology out of him, much less an admission of guilt - but by god he won't make the same mistake twice.

For sure. He also plays sub optimally for story and almost kills the party. Like dude. When you're fighting a loving ancient white dragon maybe don't fly into its reach and fly out when you're at 1 hp so it can attack of opportunity you. Maybe just attack.
Also percy wears on me a bit with his 'i'm so dark and did so much bad. I invented GUNS' dude gently caress off. Your guns are basically a bow that has a 15% chance to break every attack.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I hard rolled my eyes when Vax pulled Vex aside after the chroma conclave arrived and he wanted to bail. Because he’s done it at least two times with Nott in the second campaign and I always think it’s a huge drama queen move.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I'm not nearly as far in with Campaign 1 to compare notes, but I can definitely say that I'm already seeing the seeds of it up to the Briarwoods arc. Most recently, with Liam adamantly obsessing over the idea of someone using magic to read Vax's mind and verify what happened when they "attacked" them, even after several in-character explanations from both Matt and the rest of the Vox Machina on why that wouldn't be enough to definitively prove their side of the story. It's definitely something that makes me hesitant to like Caleb so far, though at least he's already improved from the once-an-episode "pull Nott aside and debate whether they should leave the group yet" routine.

Or much earlier, it always struck me as weird how randomly hostile Keyleth was to Lady Kima during the Underdark. There were multiple times where whole conversations would just grind to a halt so that she could yet again express how they shouldn't trust her. (Granted, the audio quality from those episodes made it much harder for me to pay attention while doing other things, so I zoned out a lot and might be forgetting some context there beyond Kima's hostility towards Clarota.)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think that ended up being something about Keyleth having a backstory reason not to trust organized religions? But she never adequately explained it and by the time it was getting brought up again, it was because of Vax pledging himself to the Raven Queen and that was a wildly different scenario. Which they also never adequately resolved, but Vax died so it didn't matter in the end.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

Vax is easily my least favorite party member in the first campaign and a lot of it stems from his post-RQ behavior.

yeah I'm somewhere in the mid-40s of that campaign and Liam's constantly sulking and drama are easily the thing I like least so far.

as someone who started with season 2, though, it's good to see basically everyone has improved and is doing more interesting things with their new characters.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Generic American posted:

I'm not nearly as far in with Campaign 1 to compare notes, but I can definitely say that I'm already seeing the seeds of it up to the Briarwoods arc. Most recently, with Liam adamantly obsessing over the idea of someone using magic to read Vax's mind and verify what happened when they "attacked" them, even after several in-character explanations from both Matt and the rest of the Vox Machina on why that wouldn't be enough to definitively prove their side of the story. It's definitely something that makes me hesitant to like Caleb so far, though at least he's already improved from the once-an-episode "pull Nott aside and debate whether they should leave the group yet" routine.

Or much earlier, it always struck me as weird how randomly hostile Keyleth was to Lady Kima during the Underdark. There were multiple times where whole conversations would just grind to a halt so that she could yet again express how they shouldn't trust her. (Granted, the audio quality from those episodes made it much harder for me to pay attention while doing other things, so I zoned out a lot and might be forgetting some context there beyond Kima's hostility towards Clarota.)

Nope. You're spot on for both.
I can still hear Liam in my mind saying ' look into my MIND. It's grating.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

RC Cola posted:

holy poo poo that bit was hilariously stupid.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

"I'm leaving"
"now?!"
"no...... I'm leaving"
"when?!"
"soon.... I'm leaving"
"stop saying that!"

Liam trying to land a final twinnie moment before the ingame year-long break, instead it's so weird he even takes Laura out of it.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

RC Cola posted:

Other than the Orion bullshit, that was the most cringe moment in C1 for me. Jesus Liam, let it go!

Wait, the Rothfuss letter and every time he was on screen was worse.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Lucas Archer posted:

Other than the Orion bullshit, that was the most cringe moment in C1 for me. Jesus Liam, let it go!

Wait, the Rothfuss letter and every time he was on screen was worse.

the Rothfuss letter was lovely, hush you.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Bah. I’m an old curmudgeon who doesn’t like things.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

God Liam has had like 4 separate encounters so far. Kynan, Gilmore, Vex, and Keyleth. All overly dramatic 30 minutes into the episode.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I'm the weird one who just legit likes almost everyone at the table, aside from Orion. If there's someone I dislike the most as a character in season 1 it's honestly Scanlan, because he's consistently just a creep in really juvenile ways and a drama killer. Keyleth is melodramatic and awkward but that's very much deliberate for her as a person.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 12, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Oh look another keyleth derail about Raishan. it sounds like she just makes things up on the fly. Not like she's bluffing. Like Marisha is making stuff up that Keyleth knows all of the time.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay we get it you hate Keyleth and Vax and from what I can tell, the entire rest of the cast that isn't Scanlan.

We don't really need a liveblog of your gripes with the show; your hot takes about this aren't so hot.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay we get it you hate Keyleth and Vax and from what I can tell, the entire rest of the cast that isn't Scanlan.

We don't really need a liveblog of your gripes with
the show; your hot takes about this aren't so hot.

You can ignore my hot takes, but I'm just live posting as I listen to it. I can also enjoy the cast and find certain bits annoying. I know when I play dnd I have my own issues far worse than any of theirs.
I wish Ashley was around more.
Everyone ripping on Percy after he stabbed illusion Seeker Asume 3 times in the back was great. You can tell that they are friends first and a TV show second.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 12, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

RC Cola posted:

You can ignore my hot takes, but I'm just live posting as I listen to it. I can also enjoy the cast and find certain bits annoying. I know when I play dnd I have my own issues far worse than any of theirs.
I wish Ashley was around more.
Everyone ripping on Percy after he stabbed illusion Seeker Asume 3 times in the back was great. You can tell that they are friends first and a TV show second.

"I meant to do that."

'Bollocks did you.'

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

I'm the weird one who just legit likes almost everyone at the table, aside from Orion. If there's someone I dislike the most as a character in season 1 it's honestly Scanlan, because he's consistently just a creep in really juvenile ways and a drama killer. Keyleth is melodramatic and awkward but that's very much deliberate for her as a person.

I think the vast majority of stuff that Keyleth got poo poo for is easily explainable from her point of view.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm catching up on Talks and Sam just outlined an actually really cool thing about Beau: Her archetype is designed to be the bookish monk who studies and reads, but can kick rear end when the chips are down, but instead Marisha's taking the inquisitive part of the concept and spun it into "Your face is weird, what's up with that?" "I don't want to talk about it" "Bullshit, talk about it!". Which is a neat spin.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Kraps posted:

I think the vast majority of stuff that Keyleth got poo poo for is easily explainable from her point of view.

And, honestly, just comes from Marisha actually playing Keyleth as a Person who is sometimes a doof or a tryhard. As opposed to, and again no disrespect to Sam, Scanlan, who's basically a trashy cartoon of a person who's basically a Standard PC Wacky Murderhobo for much of his time in the first campaign and tended to undermine attempts at drama. I suspect that's why Sam wanted to try Tary, and certainly why he's playing Nott now - who is silly, yes, but feels like she's a lot more engaged with the reality of the campaign and gets a lot more real pathos and good drama than a gnome bard who sings pop songs, uncomfortably hits on a woman who clearly isn't into it, and literally scries with his poo poo. He was just visibly sick of playing such a creeper.

A lot of the people who HATE Keyleth (but let's be real, they actually resent Marisha a lot of the time) adore Scanlan precisely FOR the reasons I dislike him.

To put it another way: Keyleth is embarrassing when she tries to be badass, but she's endearing normally. Pre-return Scanlan is cringeworthy when he tries to be endearing and embarrassing during a lot of his few really good badass moments.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hi I'm Fender Anarchist and i like everyone from campaign one, warts and all. You may haul me off to the firing line at your leisure.