Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Beep posted:

never titled. brand new! just lemme get the trash out.

*tosses tesla in the trash*
there ya go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

i don't want "fob", god dammit! i'm a dapper van man!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

President Beep posted:

i don't want "fob", god dammit! i'm a dapper van man!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
e.musk reduced factory safety markings because he doesn't like yellow, got rid of forklift beeps because he didn't like the sound, and... paved over his factory's rail instructor because that would be too efficient a way to ship cars?

hmbol

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

From January 2011:
Union Pacific buys 160 acres near Tesla auto plant

From October 2011: Union Pacific puts 147 acres up for sale next to Fremont’s Tesla factory

quote:

Union Pacific said Friday it is selling two big chunks of land next to the Tesla Motors (TSLA) plant in Fremont, a decision that bolsters the city’s hopes for a technology-oriented transit village near the factory.

[...]

In December 2010, rail giant Union Pacific bought the property from New United Motor Manufacturing Inc., the principal owners of the old NUMMI auto factory, and said it planned to develop the real estate as a freight and railroad complex. That news worried city officials, who saw the land as vital to the city’s economic development.

But Union Pacific appears to have changed course. The company has begun to scout for one or more developers that might want the property.

“Though the parcel we own in Fremont would be conducive to a rail facility, we have no definitive plans to build a full-scale terminal at this time,” said Aaron Hunt, a spokesman for Union Pacific.

Anxious to replace the 4,700 jobs that vanished when the NUMMI factory closed in April 2010, Fremont officials were concerned that a rail-focused complex could thwart its vision of the kinds of jobs that could emerge on the vacant parcels.

“We would like to see some sort of mix of high-density residential and transit-oriented development that would generate employment,” said Christina Briggs, an economic development manager with the city of Fremont.

“We want to focus on emerging technologies,” Briggs added. “Tesla could be a major anchor for the development of that area.”

So, UP owned the land for less than 12 months before looking to sell it. But the implication seems to me that the city didn't want UP to develop the land.

Also there's 13 acres they kept?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe its a spite acreage right next to the plant so nobody can build rail just to gently caress elon lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

iospace posted:

Musky hates trains.

i though he just hated public transport. hating trains is extremely off-brand for his kind

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i though he just hated public transport. hating trains is extremely off-brand for his kind

that handshake image from predator labeled "objectivism" and "autism" with the middle labeled "trains"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how does a process management team look at the glourious windfall of rail access literally on premises, factor that into options for logistics, and come out with the result "Actually, rip it out"

Answer: none were consulted

Nobody who knew what the gently caress they were doing was asked for an opinion, nonetheless assessments on exactly how business ought to be conducted profitably/efficiently at all

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Eeyo posted:

this is literally a recurring nightmare I have where my car brakes super slow and I can't safely drive anywhere.

guess i shouldn't buy a tesla

Good news! If the traditional brakes fail, you can jettison the rear bumper and use it as an air brake.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

this is literally a recurring nightmare I have where my car brakes super slow and I can't safely drive anywhere.

guess i shouldn't buy a tesla
:same:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pardot posted:

i keep thinking this is an actual zelda thread in my bookmarks, then realize it's not, but it's too much work to find a real zelda thread in games or whatever to ask if the botw dlc is worth getting, so i'll just ask here: is the botw dlc worth getting?

I keep doing the same thing so I'm going to quote this post from two weeks ago and say yeah they're good

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

how does a process management team look at the glourious windfall of rail access literally on premises, factor that into options for logistics, and come out with the result "Actually, rip it out"

Answer: none were consulted

Nobody who knew what the gently caress they were doing was asked for an opinion, nonetheless assessments on exactly how business ought to be conducted profitably/efficiently at all

elon "elon musk" musk, like the rest of his loving SV ilk, doesn't believe in things like 'expertise', just inherent intelligence which can somehow be flawlessly, instantly brought to bear equally on any subject with immediate guaranteed success, and since he thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room, gently caress what any 'experts' might think

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

what i;m saying is elon musk can eat a barrel of pickled dicks i.m.h.o.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

creationist believer posted:

that handshake image from predator labeled "objectivism" and "autism" with the middle labeled "trains"

Equating all autistic people with Musk's ridiculous bullshit is rather offensive, don't you think?

For every Chris-Chan or Musk there's a dozen boring nerds.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

the onion wizard posted:

From January 2011:
Union Pacific buys 160 acres near Tesla auto plant

From October 2011: Union Pacific puts 147 acres up for sale next to Fremont’s Tesla factory

So, UP owned the land for less than 12 months before looking to sell it. But the implication seems to me that the city didn't want UP to develop the land.

Also there's 13 acres they kept?

That was new land for UP. It's relevant, but not exactly related to the factory tracks proper getting ripped up. It may have been for an expanded yard there, seeing that UP had a relatively small yard directly adjacent to the factory (almost certainly for empty rack storage).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hailthefish posted:

elon "elon musk" musk, like the rest of his loving SV ilk, doesn't believe in things like 'expertise', just inherent intelligence which can somehow be flawlessly, instantly brought to bear equally on any subject with immediate guaranteed success, and since he thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room, gently caress what any 'experts' might think
theres a term for that kind of thinking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BChrerprinzip

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I'm going to rip up the roads and replace them with dirt piles because it's more cost effective to walk to work.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

endlessmonotony posted:

Equating all autistic people with Musk's ridiculous bullshit is rather offensive, don't you think?

ya. the stereotype of people with autism as being asocial or antisocial doesn't make sense to me after knowing some people who have it. rich douchebags should be shamed and mocked whenever they try to say that their bad behavior, consistent over years and years with no change, should be ignored and accepted because they claim they have some health condition

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hailthefish posted:

in popular culture I call this "magic smart powers" where characters in books/tv/movies who are smart are capable of literally anything, to the point that other characters will say things like "we can't try [thing], he's too smart for that to work" like tons of the folks we consider "smart" in our culture don't constantly fall for idiotic garbage like cryptocurrenncies, libertarianism or "limited edition" plastic figurines

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
if experts are so smart, why arent they accidentally rich like felon

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lutha Mahtin posted:

ya. the stereotype of people with autism as being asocial or antisocial doesn't make sense to me after knowing some people who have it.

its a stereotype that persists from before the autism diagnosis was massively expanded op

because it used to be a core attribute of the diagnoses

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
there’s an email thread at work about their experiences with their Model 3. For every person who says they’ve had no problems, there’s someone who found on delivery that the front USB ports don’t work, there’s a chip/crack in the rear windshield, or there’s a section of the wheel well where they just forgot to paint. About a third of that group is Stockholm-syndromed in and go ‘yeah they’ve got quality issues but every other EV model for sale feels like the manufacturer is ashamed to be making it’

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
I feel like one good description of the "person so smart that they are amazingly good at making bad decisions" is basically narcissism plus the gap between intelligence and rationality, for which I highly recommend reading Keith Stanovich's "What Intelligence Tests Miss".

Long story short, intelligence is real but it is not all that it's knocked up to be: it's a generalized ability to make certain type of mental manipulations of concepts. Rationality is just a different thing from intelligence. Epistemic rationality is about the ability to understand things as they are or as best as possible, given uncertainty etc. Teleological rationality is about the use of decisions and actions to achieve goals. In this framework of describing mental properties and capabilities, we lionize intelligence but what actually gets results is rationality.

High intelligence may assist someone in behaving in a rational fashion but there are lots of deeply irrational beliefs and actions that are only possible or only justifiable to an individual if they have the high intelligence needed to jump through the mental hoops, tie themselves in mental knots, etc.

Just look at the internet communities that pride themselves on their "rationality" for about 5 minutes and you'll realize 1. they actually pride themselves on their intelligence 2. they have some real problems with epistemic and teleological rationality.

e: if intelligence is actually not super helpful, why is it so celebrated in our culture? lazy answer: our school systems kind of suck and basically reward kids for doing well on the equivalent of IQ tests instead of attempting to teach how to understand the world, how to achieve discrete goals, or how to think critically.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
seriously "what intelligence tests miss" is really good and, I think, an important explicit framework for describing something that you'll run into pretty drat frequently in a career as a computer janitor, gently caress, almost any kind of knowledge worker.

e: lol I guess this means I'm a stanovitch stan

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

that's a lotta big words for a post in the funy computer forum, can you turn it into a metaphor about Linux or RAM

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
heeeere we go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysrationalia

quote:

[T]wo former Illinois schoolteachers who pulled their children from the local public school in the area because discussions of the Holocaust are a part of the history curriculum.[1] These parents, who are presumably competent due to their college education, believe that the Holocaust is a myth and should not be taught to their children. This is an example of a problem in belief formation regardless of intelligence.

A survey was given to Canadian Mensa club members on the topic of paranormal belief. Mensa members are provided membership strictly because of their high-IQ scores. The survey results show that 44% of the members believed in astrology, 51% believed in biorhythms, and 56% believed in the existence of extraterrestrial visitors. All these beliefs have no valid evidence.[1]

There are many examples of people who are famous because of their intelligence, but often display irrational behavior. Martin Heidegger, a renowned philosopher, was also a Nazi apologist and used the most fallacious arguments to justify his beliefs.[1] William Crookes, a famous scientist who discovered the element thallium and a Fellow of the Royal Society, was continually duped by spiritual mediums yet never gave up his spiritualist beliefs.[1]

lmbo @ Canadian Mensa.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

that's a lotta big words for a post in the funy computer forum, can you turn it into a metaphor about Linux or RAM

nah dawg, they already did that:

quote:

Stanovitch proposed two concepts related to dysrationalia: mindware gap and contaminated mindware.[9]

A mindware gap results from gaps in education and experience. This idea focuses on the lack or limitations within a person's knowledge in logic, probability theory, or scientific method when it comes to belief orientation or decision-making. Due to these gaps, intelligent people can make seemingly irrational decisions.
Contaminated mindware, on the other hand, focuses on how intelligent people can "fall" for irrational ideologies, pseudosciences, and/or get-rich-quick schemes. A person can be led into such contaminated mindware through heuristic trust or fallacious reasoning.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

grahms ma mahndwer iz cuntaminahtid

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
use ecc ram op

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
if I could retain computer-toucher salary and some good computer-toucher-esque work while also becoming a researcher on organizational psychology and knowledge work, that'd be just peachy keen, I'd like that very much

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

prisoner of waffles posted:

if I could retain computer-toucher salary and some good computer-toucher-esque work while also becoming a researcher on organizational psychology and knowledge work, that'd be just peachy keen, I'd like that very much

yeah I took a few organizational psych courses and it's fascinating but the only way to make any money at it would be in consulting and basically helping companies be more evil [or just watching them ignore your good recommendations]

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Musk has the wrong RAM lmfao.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

intelligent people are likke overclocked processors, sure those numbers may look sick as poo poo and your rig is killin it on hardocp but if u try and run serious calculations u might get errors. It would be better to invest in more RAM and a slower processor that can really take time and reflect on the answers it gives

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

musk is granny clockin

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

qirex posted:

yeah I took a few organizational psych courses and it's fascinating but the only way to make any money at it would be in consulting and basically helping companies be more evil [or just watching them ignore your good recommendations]

yo when you find literally any field where that doesn’t hold true hmu

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

ADINSX posted:

intelligent people are likke overclocked processors, sure those numbers may look sick as poo poo and your rig is killin it on hardocp but if u try and run serious calculations u might get errors. It would be better to invest in more RAM and a slower processor that can really take time and reflect on the answers it gives

I think it's more like intelligent people have fast CPU but irrational people run lovely software

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it is a computer analogy

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

President Beep posted:

it is a computer analogy

ahh, but if only it could be turned into a car analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So here's what I gathered so far re: UP and Tesla:

1. Union Pacific has a smallish rail yard adjacent to the Fremont factory. This likely was a staging point for empty auto-racks when the rack loading tracks were full, and allows them to build up a full train when the racks are full. This yard appears to still exist, including in relatively recent (2018) photos.

2. The Fremont Tesla Factory has two "yards" in it, one parallel with the UP yard, and one perpendicular to it. The one parallel appears to have been used for moving cars out of "short term storage", as evidenced by the massive parking lot next to it. The one perpendicular probably was used for (pretty much) directly off the factory floor and into the racks loading. I could be wrong here. Google Maps satellite view, for what it's worth:

3. Union Pacific, in anticipation of increased traffic due to increased interest in building the area out as an industrial center, buys a 160 acre parcel of land, presumably to build a second yard for more car storage.

4. UP sells the most of the land off, nearly immediately (and likely before any rail is placed down), for reasons currently unknown. It may have been resistance from the city (in the form of NIMBYs opposed to more trains in the area), butting heads with Tesla's management (Musk, mostly), or realizing it's not a good investment due to any number of reasons (area won't build up as fast as they'd think, not enough potential customers, etc). Reality is it's probably all of the above here. It is unknown what state the remaining 13 acres are in or what UP has done with it if they still own it.

5. The tracks on the Tesla Fremont factory are ripped up. This is a very recent development, given Google Maps shows that the tracks are in place as recent as this year on both satellite and map views (2018). The autorack loading infrastructure is still present in these images, as shown above, both on the tracks that lead into the middle of the property, and the ones on the edge of the property. What is very telling, however, is the lack of autoracks on the middle of property tracks on the satellite views. The adjacent yard seems to be used for storing spare box cars (which aren't used as much with the advent of containers) and refrigerated cars. There appear to no autoracks there. It is unknown if the track was owned by UP or Tesla, as there is a fence with a gate crossing right where the tracks were started to be ripped up. You can make out the gate just to the right of the loading yard on the bottom of the image (it's the black line crossing the tracks).

So I look forward to finding out more about this, because this is intriguing.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 12, 2018