Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:mad: My Surface's screen went out. We need to get it fixed.
:v: Well, it's apparently out of warranty, so it'll be $600 for a device replacement.
:mad: $600?? How long do warranties last?
:v: You wouldn't approve the extended warranty when we purchased it because you said "warranties don't make sense" so there was only a one-year warranty with the device. You've had this almost two years. So we can get a $600 replacement or buy a Surface Pro 4 for $900.
:mad: *SIGH* Just get the new one then. This is ridiculous.
:v: Do you want to get the extended warranty this time?
:mad: No, warranties don't make sense.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

:mad: My Surface's screen went out. We need to get it fixed.
:v: Well, it's apparently out of warranty, so it'll be $600 for a device replacement.
:mad: $600?? How long do warranties last?
:v: You wouldn't approve the extended warranty when we purchased it because you said "warranties don't make sense" so there was only a one-year warranty with the device. You've had this almost two years. So we can get a $600 replacement or buy a Surface Pro 4 for $900.
:mad: *SIGH* Just get the new one then. This is ridiculous.
:v: Do you want to get the extended warranty this time?
:mad: No, warranties don't make sense.

:suicide:

And this is why you don't ask anybody else if they want the warranty. It's an IT asset, IT is your department, you decide if the warranty is necessary. Which it absolutely is for a business device.

Your mistake was saying "The new surface pro 4 is $900". It's way better to say "The new Surface Pro 4 is $1300" and buy the warranty anyway.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

And this is why you don't ask anybody else if they want the warranty. It's an IT asset, IT is your department, you decide if the warranty is necessary. Which it absolutely is for a business device.

Your mistake was saying "The new surface pro 4 is $900". It's way better to say "The new Surface Pro 4 is $1300" and buy the warranty anyway.

Yeah, but every single purchase on has to be approved by him. The req has to have his signature and he investigates every single one with a fine tooth comb and any time I've tried to sneak a warranty in there, he throws a gigantic fit about it. No one anywhere gets a warranty on anything because of this.

Except for the new whole-building generator I got a quote for. That one had a one-year included warranty and he refused to approve it because it needs at least a 10 year warranty.

He's probably insane.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
We did the math over about two years of repair/warranty data and found that extended warranties were actually not at all a good deal for us at our scale. I was slightly surprised. I still buy AppleCare on MacBooks, though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We have [THIS IS EXTERNAL SECURITY WARNING PLEASE BE CAREFUL] appended to every subject line. They're now so long we hit spam filters/junk constantly. Apparently nobody thought of that.
:cripes:

e: I need to :yotj: out of this poo poo, work life balance has been gone and recognition for busting my rear end has been "oh, sure we'll recognize you!" :bahgawd:

I wish we could actually apply Reasonable Person Logic and not create entire-organization level security policy based on single outlier events that are highly unlikely to repeat.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
In hope of understanding the basics of devops stuff for my new job, I started reading The Phoenix Project.

I'm on page 55 and having visceral anxiety feelings upon every page. I'm not one to use the word "triggered" but I am feeling just that and I'm probably on the way to go read the Wikipedia article on devops so I don't die.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is good stuff and I will add it to my arsenal

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

poo poo our notebooks come with 3 year warranties and I auto add 2 more years for all laptop purchases. That’s with ADP too.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

nominal posted:

This is good stuff and I will add it to my arsenal

You clearly never worked in retail involving anything that you could hock an extended warranty with.

When I worked for Game, the listed price for a pre-owned Ds Lite with 2 yrs accident cover was the price you heard, and it was still £30 cheaper than a new DS lite without the warranty.

Of course, for the PS3's, it was never worth it because it was the price of a new controller.
Only times I managed to get that sale was if I could market it exactly that way "hey, if FIFA pisses you off and you throw your controller at the wall, you're still covered for up to 5 replacements!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateAccount posted:

We did the math over about two years of repair/warranty data and found that extended warranties were actually not at all a good deal for us at our scale. I was slightly surprised. I still buy AppleCare on MacBooks, though.

"A good deal"

:laffo:

You don't buy these warranties for the "good deal". You buy them so you have less administrative effort applied to the blackhole that is workstation/server hardware.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s basically it. I don’t buy them to save money. I buy them so it’s easier to deal with an end user who left his laptop on his car and drove off. HP surprisingly fixed the bag of parts I gave them.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MJP posted:

In hope of understanding the basics of devops stuff for my new job, I started reading The Phoenix Project.

I'm on page 55 and having visceral anxiety feelings upon every page. I'm not one to use the word "triggered" but I am feeling just that and I'm probably on the way to go read the Wikipedia article on devops so I don't die.

My management is obsessed with this book to the point of buying everyone in the IT dept a copy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

my cat is norris posted:

My management is obsessed with this book to the point of buying everyone in the IT dept a copy.

Some good management right here

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's so much "this is bullshit, you moron" - sometimes in very close to those words and tone - coming from managers to their direct reports. Whoever wrote this has zero concept of characters and humans to the point that they make Scott Adams look like Philip Roth by comparison of writing skill. The main character shouting someone down and they're perfectly happy with a pat on the shoulder after that? I seriously hope people start quitting soon.

I feel like there's gotta be someone out there writing Phoenix Project fanfic such that Wes just ends up going on a killing spree or something.

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 10, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sickening posted:

"A good deal"

You don't buy these warranties for the "good deal". You buy them so you have less administrative effort applied to the blackhole that is workstation/server hardware.

100% calculated TCO - I buy a laptop with 5 year warranty including accidental, we know that we have that asset for 5 years (excepting it being lost/stolen, but that's another thing).
Plus then I don't need to waste time on poo poo - call Dell, they send a tech, shits fixed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

"A good deal"

Point was more that the procedure was always just switch a hardware-failed machine out for comparable, then repair the busted one to go back in the pool, whether that repair was done under warranty or we pay outright. It's no extra effort to pay the vendor whatever their fee is to fix a machine out of warranty, and the total cost of all the extended warranties vs. the cost of out-of-pocket repair was very easy math.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got an actual weird question. I have a user who wants to have a bunch of fonts installed so she can use them to design Powerpoint presentations according to our sales people's new design guidelines. I want to set Powerpoint so that it will always have Options -> Save -> Embed Fonts in this File checked off, radio button below it always set to "Embed all characters." It defaults to unchecked for any document unless it's already been set.

I could just tell her to do it manually and make a document walking her through it, with the alternative being setting up a GPO to deploy 47 additional fonts to all users in the sales department OU so that everyone's got it. Anyone know if there's a way to do the embed settings automatically? My google-fu fails me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Renegret posted:

you know what's gonna happen in 14 days

They're not going to call because they changed their password in time!
:buddy:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MJP posted:

There's so much "this is bullshit, you moron" - sometimes in very close to those words and tone - coming from managers to their direct reports. Whoever wrote this has zero concept of characters and humans to the point that they make Scott Adams look like Philip Roth by comparison of writing skill. The main character shouting someone down and they're perfectly happy with a pat on the shoulder after that? I seriously hope people start quitting soon.

I feel like there's gotta be someone out there writing Phoenix Project fanfic such that Wes just ends up going on a killing spree or something.

There's also the part where a character screams out "SMELLS LIKE PEOPLE HAVE BEING HAVING SEX IN HERE!", the part where they specifically mention the size of one of the two female characters' breasts, and the multiple parts where the protagonist mentions how I USED TA BE IN THE MARINES.

Even with that shovelled aside, it's still a great book, just in terms of delivering the lesson.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MJP posted:

Got an actual weird question. I have a user who wants to have a bunch of fonts installed so she can use them to design Powerpoint presentations according to our sales people's new design guidelines. I want to set Powerpoint so that it will always have Options -> Save -> Embed Fonts in this File checked off, radio button below it always set to "Embed all characters." It defaults to unchecked for any document unless it's already been set.

I could just tell her to do it manually and make a document walking her through it, with the alternative being setting up a GPO to deploy 47 additional fonts to all users in the sales department OU so that everyone's got it. Anyone know if there's a way to do the embed settings automatically? My google-fu fails me.

The blank 'new' document is actually a template you can edit, so it should be possible to turn this on for any new documents she creates from that template. I forget where the default one is located, though, sorry.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

I wish we could actually apply Reasonable Person Logic and not create entire-organization level security policy based on single outlier events that are highly unlikely to repeat.

Sure - if our infosec people were more technical than our helpdesk, maybe. Yet, I wouldn't even give them that much credit. I'd say some of the new ones even less than that.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Message from our research vessels:

"When we are up towards the north pole and don't have satellite coverage email doesn't work. When we are at the dock with wifi email works just fine. You must fix email".

Yeah, let me get right on that.

Well we're gonna try uninstalling Office 365 and instead installing locally licensed Office 2016.

Who are these people I work with??

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They're not going to call because they changed their password in time!
:buddy:

:unsmith:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

There's also the part where a character screams out "SMELLS LIKE PEOPLE HAVE BEING HAVING SEX IN HERE!", the part where they specifically mention the size of one of the two female characters' breasts, and the multiple parts where the protagonist mentions how I USED TA BE IN THE MARINES.

Even with that shovelled aside, it's still a great book, just in terms of delivering the lesson.

Reading it threw me into a visceral feeling of "oh dear god, what if this happens to me at %newjobthatstartsonthe24th%" to the point where I had to just kinda purge it. Last thing I need is to let myself fall into misery after getting out of same.

Like... I get that it's a business book disguised as a work of fiction, but the author's talents at explaining how to do X or Y process would be far better served as writing them as examples within the context of nonfiction. Basically cut all the Business Drama crap, he writes like freaking Ernest Cline in that he has no grasp of how people actually think, feel, and function. These aren't characters, they're archetypes.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

MJP posted:

Reading it threw me into a visceral feeling of "oh dear god, what if this happens to me at %newjobthatstartsonthe24th%" to the point where I had to just kinda purge it. Last thing I need is to let myself fall into misery after getting out of same.

Like... I get that it's a business book disguised as a work of fiction, but the author's talents at explaining how to do X or Y process would be far better served as writing them as examples within the context of nonfiction. Basically cut all the Business Drama crap, he writes like freaking Ernest Cline in that he has no grasp of how people actually think, feel, and function. These aren't characters, they're archetypes.

The DevOps Handbook (https://www.amazon.com/DevOps-Handbook-World-Class-Reliability-Organizations/dp/1942788002) is a good continuation of this book without an actual story attached to it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Sure - if our infosec people were more technical than our helpdesk, maybe. Yet, I wouldn't even give them that much credit. I'd say some of the new ones even less than that.

The number of times I have to explain fundamental TCP/IP concepts to our "Security Analysts" when they send me dumbass log excerpts..........

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

On asking your MSP to update your A-records, make sure you double-check they've done all three rather than just doing the top level and marking the issue as resolved because when your old web server gets turned off a week later you'll be inundated with urgent messages about the website being down and you can't find any reason why it should be down because everything on your detailed ticklist of changes needing to be done was done well ahead of time for DNS to not be an issue :unsmith:

also ask yourself why your domain registration is sitting with an msp

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

evobatman posted:

Message from our research vessels:

"When we are up towards the north pole and don't have satellite coverage email doesn't work. When we are at the dock with wifi email works just fine. You must fix email".

Yeah, let me get right on that.

Imagine being a computer janitor in the Space Force.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bigass Moth posted:

Reason: Physics

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Ghostlight posted:

also ask yourself why your domain registration is sitting with an msp

When I worked at msp's there were two kinds of msp techs. The ones that tended to think they were the only people capable of managing anything. DNS records, servers, firewalls, workstations, etc. They and only they were the last bastion of defence against the IT barbarians. They watched YouTube all day, worked in the evening and weekends. If they were married their SO never saw them and what little money they had they spent on high end cars and "home labs" with better equipment than the clients they supported.

Then there were the ones who were actually good. They tended to get stuck there due to lack of a better job. They worked during the day and spent their evenings with their families and trying to find a real job.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bigass Moth posted:

I put on my review form I filled out a month and a half ago (still haven't had a review) that my long term goals were a couple things + join the space force.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I once helped nasa solve a backup issue with a system on the ISS.

They were using a disk with 4K physical sectors on an OS that didn’t support it. It was causing VSS to freak out and fail randomly and intermittently.

The astronauts swapped a few drives around between systems and requisitioned a new one.

So there is a hard drive in space because of me.

I’m already on the space force.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ConfusedUs posted:

They were using a disk with 4K physical sectors on an OS that didn’t support it. It was causing VSS to freak out and fail randomly and intermittently.

The astronauts swapped a few drives around between systems and requisitioned a new one.

Thank you for your service.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ConfusedUs posted:

A true Space Force computer janitor would have saved that hard drive to reassign to an unknowing end user because your boss thinks “it might still work.”

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ConfusedUs posted:

I will never close a ticket this cool.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlternateAccount posted:

I will never close a ticket this cool.

It wasn't even my ticket! It was for a product I didn't even work on. The ticket had been bouncing around for a while, and the head support guy said "let's ask ConfusedUs, he knows Windows backups, maybe he can figure it out."

They sent me an email and some logs, I looked them over, found the issue, passed it back with some assorted Microsoft links to back up my findings, and went on my way. Seriously took me like ten minutes. I didn't think twice about it.

I didn't know it was for the ISS until a week later when the head support dude came up to me and told me what had happened, and how a hard disk was gonna go to space because of me.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How well does rotational media work in zero G?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Methanar posted:

Apparently well enough? It was a drive I recognized, a WD drive IIRC.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Methanar posted:

ConfusedUs posted:

Apparently well enough? It was a drive I recognized, a WD drive IIRC.

Now I wonder if some 2.5" HDDs with modified firmware might work as cubesat reaction wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I provide support for a suite of software tools.

Guy: I am having trouble installing
Me: can you provide some details?
Guy: I don't know what to do after I have installed.

I just got yelled at by a customer for not providing initial phone support, and now I want to go back and tell him this is why.