Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Modders are going to go hogwild with this functionality and I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1039882102693609478?s=19

SWEDEN DECLARES WAR ON CANADA

can you just imagine

it would be history's loveliest war
Canadian's are a lot saltier than most people think. Especially these days. Plus, it's just Alberta. Not like any of us would give a gently caress; if anything the asteroid would make it even easier to get at all that sweet, sweet dilbit.

What I really want to know is what part of Earth is covered in fungus.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I feel like there were only 12 building slots in past teasers?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anno posted:

I feel like there were only 12 building slots in past teasers?

Good eye!

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1032344718829600769

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I like these little touches. It probably doesn't take much effort, and adds alot of flavor. Now instead of clearing tile blocker #7 I can water the deserts of northern Africa or pave over Rio's favelas.

Hey! That would be a pretty cool feature, starting with tile blockers that added something: slums would add housing but increase crime, industrial wasteland could add scavenger jobs that produce a small amount of minerals and luxuries, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope the paid dlc for this patch is planetary mega projects. Stuff like irrigating the Sahara or building an artificial continent or a 5km tall hive city.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
This planet overhaul looks loving amazing, Wiz & Co. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Eiba posted:

That wasn't my point, and that wasn't the point I was responding to. You said biotrophy silence made you less inclined to believe they were benevolent. At least that's how I understood you. I was saying their silence is normal and not evidence of anything.

As Wiz just said, it's ambiguous. That means you can play them as good guys if you want to think of them that way. I'm not trying to convince anyone that they're necessarily good, just that playing them as good is completely consistent with what's in the game.

What I said was that the silence is a reason I have an issue with people asserting that the trophies are voluntary participants in their status. It’s not something that’s supported by the actual text in the game.

Yes you can create a rogue servitude empire and write in the flavour box that they’re willing (I do the same thing when I play them), but I’m not trying to analyse text you wrote, I’m working from the text we share in common, which is what’s in the game.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Conskill posted:

The reflection on the reader and the context you interpret sci-fi in is something I have mixed feelings on. I've actually sat here for a quite a few minutes trying to collect my thoughts to no avail, so please forgive me if this isn't 100% on point. We can deconstruct Stellaris in the same way that we can deconstruct anything because everything is politics and so forth. Fair enough. But we're kind of swirling around an argument that's been here a few times: are aliens in Stellaris written to be more than funny-looking humans? What interests me in sci-fi is seeing how far writers can go with defining what is alien and what is different from us, while still necessarily chained to the culture they were born and conditioned into. Honestly, it strikes me as wasted thematic potential to use a modern hermeneutic on the Blorg, or vilify the Worm-that-Waits, or map human assumptions respecting the nature of the sapient starfish that finally relinquished control to their robot servitors.
stellaris is inevitably a forward projection of our own presentist assumptions about organized historical societies from the past. there are degrees to which a writer can imaginatively (and valuably) abstract themselves from their own historical context. but it's impossible for that abstraction to ever be fully achieved--too much of our baked in 'common sense' about how nature works, how societies work, what is important, etc., is from a particular moment in space and time. moreover: that common sense is the context that gives us the motivation to do things, imagine things, in the first place. how would you know what questions to ask about the past or the future if you had no guiding assumptions, values, circumstances, to initially kick off from?

there's no reason, for instance, to assume the hypothetical interaction between future alien races will resemble something very close to eighteenth century great power politics. but that's what stellaris implicitly assumes for a number of reasons.

quote:

I get what you mean here. When I'm playing Stellaris I'm not critically deconstructing it. I don't sit down to play as a rogue servitor and spend the whole game thinking "hmm, what an apt metaphor for the patriarchy".
patriarchy, in very broad historical terms, and for all its faults, had a clearly identifiable social-economic function. it was part of the pre-modern agricultural division of labour. biotrophies, by contrast, serve no conventionally functional purpose at all. this is actually one of the rare cases where an imaginative abstraction from the present has almost entirely succeeded. we have no historically established 'common sense' about whether a 'biotrophy society' would be ethically good or bad. no historical society has ever done such a thing: so we actually have to begin with the opening premises and think abstractly about it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1039905437280333824?s=19

CLARIFICATION: "SLUM CLEARANCE" NO LONGER "POOR PEOPLE SLAUGHTERFEST"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aethernet posted:

Uninstalled, computer tossed under an industrial magnet, now dousing myself in petrol because life isn't worth living anymore t:mad:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Excellent. Now I have something tangible to mistreat instead and a pop for only 300 energy. That's way more expensive than it used to be though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nevets posted:

I like these little touches. It probably doesn't take much effort, and adds alot of flavor. Now instead of clearing tile blocker #7 I can water the deserts of northern Africa or pave over Rio's favelas.

Hey! That would be a pretty cool feature, starting with tile blockers that added something: slums would add housing but increase crime, industrial wasteland could add scavenger jobs that produce a small amount of minerals and luxuries, etc.
The phrase "Scavenger Jobs" just made me unreasonably excited. Even if they were just an alternate source of science and resources I'd just love the flavour of tombworlds or precursor worlds having a primarily scavenger based economy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can you guys answer some newbie questions for me?

First, what exactly is surplus food for? The game makes noise about how it makes pops grow faster but when I mouseover growing pops on planets I don't see any "surplus food" bonus or anything, and I'm regularly running like +16 food per month with my 200 storage cap hit. Right now I'm just trading it to other empires for useful poo poo like minerals or energy and letting them think they're getting a good deal even though I lucked into a Gaia world where every dang tile is +food.

Secondly, I don't get military matters, like, at all.

Does the military power estimate lie? If not, how come every time I research new tech like blue lasers or railguns and then upgrade my fleets, their total power goes down? Is having the auto-best design thing checked screwing me over?

What are different ship types for? I just unlocked Destroyers and have passed up the opportunity to research fighters. What about different weapon types? Armor types? What sort of balance should I be going for in kinetic/laser and armor/shields? Do I want a missile variant of my Corvettes? Why? Is there a way to see what sort of armaments/armor my enemy is using and custom-design a ship class to counter that?

How am I supposed to read the battle window to figure out exactly what's going on? The numbers at the bottom aren't obvious -- is "damage output" the damage my guys are taking or dishing out? What's the import of it? -- and the top bar is opaque. All I know is I send a fleet that's nominally equal-strength against a pirate fleet and we just melt the pirate ships one by one while taking negligible damage, and then a starbase with 1/4th the military power takes four times as long.

Finally, what's a good amount of military power to keep on hand in peacetime? Right now I have two fleets, one at 600-ish strength that's supplemented by these three ancient tech fighters I found, and one at 400-ish power, but both powers keep dropping every time I unlock a new upgrade. It's been good enough to deal with the odd pirate outbreak, but I also worry about other civs judging my military potential.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, thinking about the last time Sweden went around declaring war on everyone it would probably be quite terrifying honestly. Lots of angry scandis wandering through canada hopped up on the jesus and shooting people with muskets.

Hey, most of his army was actually German, Dutch and Scottish mercenaries. Though that's not necessarily less frightening of a rampaging horde. Only the cavalry were primarily from Sweden, one time I saw them described by a source as something like "Tall, ruddy Swedes, swarthy Lapplanders on tough ponies and colorless Finns."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think Lapplanders should be riding on Finns and I am frankly surprised that the Finns put up with that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think Lapplanders should be riding on Finns and I am frankly surprised that the Finns put up with that.

Nice

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Surplus food increases growth as long as you're already sitting at your cap, i.e. food generated while you're already capped out doesn't vanish into the ether, it turns into people instead. So if you're capped out, there should be a growth modifier from surplus food. If you keep trading away your food though, that means you're probably not capped out often, and thus aren't getting the growth bonus.

Letting the game auto-design ships is suicide. There are two checkboxes with similar names, I mean the one in the bottom left of the ship designer that says "auto-generate designs." Never, ever, check that box. First thing I do on day 1 of a new game before advancing time at all is go and uncheck that box and never touch it again. If that box is checked, it's probably why researching new tech is making your power go down at times, because the design AI is very bad and has no idea how to design a ship so it will screw up in new and interesting ways whenever it gets new components to play with. There's also an "auto-upgrade" checkbox on the right side of the screen when you have a design selected, that one is safe to use. That one will keep the general design how you made it, but will automatically swap out Hyperdrive I for Hyperdrive II, or automatically swap in the newest reactor, or upgrade from Red to Blue lasers. What it won't do is completely reshuffle the ship from scratch each time a new component becomes available, like the broken one on the left.

Armor/shields and kinetics/lasers all depends on who you're fighting. If you want to just kinda be generalist do a roughly even split, but really you should be scouting out your enemies if possible and seeing what they mostly use and then designing to counter that. Armor is strong against kinetics but weak against energy weapons, and shields are strong against energy weapons but weak against kinetics.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 12, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't know why the auto generate designs option is even a thing considering I have no idea how you're supposed to use it post 2.0.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Loving this flavour. I hope it's pretty easy to make your own additions and get it hooked up to the custom system file so you can create your own custom homeworld or version of future-earth to start with. Hook some event triggers up to specific tile clearance and you got your self a whole drat early-game mini-game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Loving this flavour. I hope it's pretty easy to make your own additions and get it hooked up to the custom system file so you can create your own custom homeworld or version of future-earth to start with. Hook some event triggers up to specific tile clearance and you got your self a whole drat early-game mini-game.

Yeah seriously with some events and poo poo you could create a whole management game out of planets with random events linked to deposits.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I quit awhile ago but these new changes are getting me excited, has there been any hint of a release date for the new features/DLC?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

OK this looks like "Tile blocker: Ruined City (+1 Scavenger jobs) could be very much a go.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
2018 release is unlikely, IMO

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Aethernet posted:

After the Mega-Repavers have long rumbled off into the distance, reducing the favelas of Neo-Mumbai to steaming, clean, black asphalt, after the screams and chaos of the millions of people fleeing before the city-sized machines or being crushed mercilessly underfoot, a single person stands up amidst the silence, shivering. A hovercraft lands beside them, and a technocrat in his crisp robes disembarks, and hands them a small, gray card.

"Welcome, citizen!"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't know why the auto generate designs option is even a thing considering I have no idea how you're supposed to use it post 2.0.

As someone who loves to design his own poo poo in games, my first thought when encountering the auto-designer was "Ah, the option for lazy people. Got it!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Libluini posted:

As someone who loves to design his own poo poo in games, my first thought when encountering the auto-designer was "Ah, the option for lazy people. Got it!"

That would be fine if it didn't utterly break the fairly important retrofit mechanic and fleet manager.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That would be fine if it didn't utterly break the fairly important retrofit mechanic and fleet manager.

Even without auto design that breaks occasionally, with it is seems like every other tech breaks it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Crazycryodude posted:

Surplus food increases growth as long as you're already sitting at your cap, i.e. food generated while you're already capped out doesn't vanish into the ether, it turns into people instead. So if you're capped out, there should be a growth modifier from surplus food. If you keep trading away your food though, that means you're probably not capped out often, and thus aren't getting the growth bonus.
Oh no, I'm capped out at 200 (I picked the low storage/encourage growth option) with +16 food a month and that's after trading away a bunch of it. Like I said, Gaia world where almost every tile is +food (it was just a really impressive jungle world but then my guys found inactive terraforming machines, I pumped 'em full of power, and won the jackpot). I'm drowning in the stuff. I just can't find the growth modifier anywhere and was doubting its existence.

quote:

Letting the game auto-design ships is suicide. There are two checkboxes with similar names, I mean the one in the bottom left of the ship designer that says "auto-generate designs." Never, ever, check that box. First thing I do on day 1 of a new game before advancing time at all is go and uncheck that box and never touch it again. If that box is checked, it's probably why researching new tech is making your power go down at times, because the design AI is very bad and has no idea how to design a ship so it will screw up in new and interesting ways whenever it gets new components to play with.
Yeah, okay, that explains it. I checked the auto-generate box when I started pivoting to research military tech, because I thought it'd be easier to keep up that way. Out of curiosity, how is the AI screwing up and how do I avoid it? "Put the best guns and armor on it and make sure there's enough power" seemed pretty simple to me.

And what are missiles for, exactly? Do I want missile variants of all my designs, and if so, should I be producing at a 50/50 split between just guns and lasers and missile variants?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CapnAndy posted:

Oh no, I'm capped out at 200 (I picked the low storage/encourage growth option) with +16 food a month and that's after trading away a bunch of it. Like I said, Gaia world where almost every tile is +food (it was just a really impressive jungle world but then my guys found inactive terraforming machines, I pumped 'em full of power, and won the jackpot). I'm drowning in the stuff. I just can't find the growth modifier anywhere and was doubting its existence.
If you hover over your capped food stockpile number at the top of the screen, it should tell you how much growth is being boosted on how many planets.

It tends not to be a very dramatic boost unless you've got a huge surplus relative to the number of non-full planets, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, okay, that explains it. I checked the auto-generate box when I started pivoting to research military tech, because I thought it'd be easier to keep up that way. Out of curiosity, how is the AI screwing up and how do I avoid it? "Put the best guns and armor on it and make sure there's enough power" seemed pretty simple to me.

And what are missiles for, exactly? Do I want missile variants of all my designs, and if so, should I be producing at a 50/50 split between just guns and lasers and missile variants?
You can adjust your cap up in the policies screen, I would suggest doing that if you're swimming in food because it will give you a buffer when that gaia world gets invaded and/or blown up.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

For some reason I thought that the bonus from capped food gave you additional base growth rather than it being a modifier? I might be making that up though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anno posted:

For some reason I thought that the bonus from capped food gave you additional base growth rather than it being a modifier? I might be making that up though.
It is effectively additional base growth, yes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Well, I could live with the auto-designer being deleted, that should solve this problem, right? :v:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I don't know why the food stockpile policy choice doesn't give you a bonus for setting it higher, seems like it would be really easy to do, and right now there isn't much of a benefit to increasing it since food is easy to make and planetary deposits are spread evenly enough that 1 paradise dome + 1 farm on most planets each could be on a +2 tile and be enough to be self sufficient.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ideally the bonus is that if your 25-tile agriworld that makes 300 food a month gets blockaded/occupied, a big stockpile gives you some breathing room before everyone starts starving. But in practice that very rarely happens and I've pretty much never actually had negative food income. There's kind of a fringe benefit in that you can buy off Marauders with food if you've got a few thousand sitting around which is usually preferable to energy or minerals, but the main intended benefit really doesn't come into play because food production in the current version is decentralized enough to not really have any key points of failure that would result in the sudden massive deficit a stockpile is supposed to buffer against.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Libluini posted:

Well, I could live with the auto-designer being deleted, that should solve this problem, right? :v:

Since I assume the AI uses the same designer, it would probably be better to try to improve it. That alone might go a long way towards improving the AI.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hot Stellaris Take: After gutting tiles the next target should be gutting the current ship designer and once again replacing it with something that's both more interesting and way easier for the AI to deal with.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The stockpile is useful when alternating between periods of peace and hyper aggression/expansion. You don't have to worry about food while you suck up a bunch of the AI's lovely fringe worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I always bump my food stockpile up to maximum as early as I feel I can absorb the growth bonus loss. It's nice to have a huge stockpile to bail out your idiot starving allies, or that moment you realize you just built 20 habitats worth of research labs and haven't increased your food supply for the last century. Gives you the time to actually terraform and colonize a new farm-world rather than panic-demolishing buildings.