Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hibbloes posted:

"Hey...what flavor is this fog.. it's making me hungry"

"PINEAPPLE"

That took me back. I've been in bands for years (decades, really), and one thing you learn early on is that there shall be no gig without fog. Sometimes it's a lot. Sometimes it's a little. But it's so ubiquitous that after a while, I would only notice the fog if it wasn't present. Anyway, for a long time, the liquid used in every fog machine at every venue I played at was coconut scented. It was always coconut. If you were in the audience, it was so faint that you might not notice, but on stage, it was all you could smell. Well, that and cigarettes, because for the first several years that I played out, you could legally smoke inside Illinois bars. But mostly coconut.

So when St. Cloud is asking what that scent (sorry... flavor) is, I had to pause it so I could giggle and reminisce. I know what it's like to spend a lot of time in a cloud that smells vaguely like fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I've been a big fan of all of Venture Bros.' music references over the years, but I was really tickled by the King Diamond line in reference to David Grohl. Pretty unexpected laugh. A Killing Joke line would of been even better, but I'm sure its day will come.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 11, 2018

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
My shirt showed up in the mail; Jonas' head for those keeping score at home. A good time for it too because I'm bugging outta here hurricane style baby

Edit- Where's my Rusty's Machine tho!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

reignofevil posted:

My shirt showed up in the mail; Jonas' head for those keeping score at home. A good time for it too because I'm bugging outta here hurricane style baby

Edit- Where's my Rusty's Machine tho!!!

The exclusive comes with the last shipment

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Only if you can refrain from leaning in Rusty's machine for the whole season.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Master Twig posted:

I hope I wasn't the only one who was singing the makeover song from Clone High during the shopping dream sequence.

I know it's a classic trope, but boy is that the only thing I ever think of when I hear MAKEOVER!!!.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Preview for the next episode :

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-venture-bros/sneak-peek-eyes-in-the-sky/

Copy Cat is back!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If was the Monarch, I'd have gotten St Cloud to get rid of the Cloud Gimmick and gone with his collector persona. He could have the Staff of Ra made that shoots light and an army of Twekies.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure the Monarch is enough of a collector to have that idea. Gary on the other hand...

And let's be frank, St Cloud had that gimmick when he was arching Conjectural Technologies out in the loving desert and could use stuff like the Truckasaurus without getting into trouble with the OSI.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X_Toad posted:

I'm not sure the Monarch is enough of a collector to have that idea. Gary on the other hand...

And let's be frank, St Cloud had that gimmick when he was arching Conjectural Technologies out in the loving desert and could use stuff like the Truckasaurus without getting into trouble with the OSI.

Exactly. Gary should have been all over that.

Man, the scene of St Cloud breaking into Billy's moms house is one of my top scenes in the entire show. His mom almost certainly beat St Cloud to an inch of his life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just love how he keeps saying "put on your rubbers." Does anyone in the world say that?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I just love how he keeps saying "put on your rubbers." Does anyone in the world say that?

I heard it a bunch in sex ed.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'll beat the living poo poo out of you until my arthritis kicks in... and I just took my Humira.

This episode was loving great and the end with Dr Mrs The Monarch and The Monarch was really sweet. :kimchi:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LostRook posted:

I heard it a bunch in sex ed.

In the context of rain protection.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Servaetes posted:

I'll beat the living poo poo out of you until my arthritis kicks in... and I just took my Humira.

This episode was loving great and the end with Dr Mrs The Monarch and The Monarch was really sweet. :kimchi:

As I said earlier when the spoilers were up, St Cloud is lucky that Action Man is still in the hospital, he probably would have gotten the Turnbuckle treatment

Or for that matter that he caught Colonel Gentleman in a good mood, otherwise he'd potentially be missing some parts

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how you can tell that St Cloud is just making GBS threads himself in fear in that scene.

Also, the Monarch talking about being on the X-2 being "his childhood" is probably more correct than he thinks, because they're talking about it from the TV show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I love how you can tell that St Cloud is just making GBS threads himself in fear in that scene.

That's why he wore his rubber panties.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

twistedmentat posted:

Also, the Monarch talking about being on the X-2 being "his childhood" is probably more correct than he thinks, because they're talking about it from the TV show.

That was 100% some breadcrumbs for something later.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Cojawfee posted:

In the context of rain protection.

...of a sort, yes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

X_Toad posted:

I feel they already kind of overplayed the 'collector' villain type with ~Le Tueurrrrrrrh~. It *is* Billy's weakness, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Collecting pop culture items and using them inappropriately would be a much better arch than pineapple scented fog and talking about rubbers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Collecting pop culture items and using them inappropriately would be a much better arch than pineapple scented fog and talking about rubbers.

Yeah, but they're in New York now. You can't just drive Truckasaurus around, chew up Billy's trailer, then invite him over the next day to continue the arch, making him watch you clean your butt crack with a beloved puppet. You gotta go big or go home.

You need that pineapple cloud. You must taunt them with a theme-appropriate remark, even if you end up using a word with two meanings that is easily misinterpreted. You better throw that gas canister. And dammit, if you don't pull that PENIS, then I WILL PULL IT FOR YOU AND MAKE YOU WATCH!!

Anyway... it just dawned on me how this was like a children's soccer game. You have the parents on the sidelines, apparently taking the whole thing way more seriously than the kids are, and you have trash-talking, and you have the proud papas watching their kids dribble and take shots for the first time... and they let them have their moment of glory at the end, even if all that really happened was some embarrassing playing ending in a nap.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Anyway... it just dawned on me how this was like a children's soccer game. You have the parents on the sidelines, apparently taking the whole thing way more seriously than the kids are, and you have trash-talking, and you have the proud papas watching their kids dribble and take shots for the first time... and they let them have their moment of glory at the end, even if all that really happened was some embarrassing playing ending in a nap.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

tarlibone posted:

That took me back. I've been in bands for years (decades, really), and one thing you learn early on is that there shall be no gig without fog. Sometimes it's a lot. Sometimes it's a little. But it's so ubiquitous that after a while, I would only notice the fog if it wasn't present. Anyway, for a long time, the liquid used in every fog machine at every venue I played at was coconut scented. It was always coconut. If you were in the audience, it was so faint that you might not notice, but on stage, it was all you could smell. Well, that and cigarettes, because for the first several years that I played out, you could legally smoke inside Illinois bars. But mostly coconut.

So when St. Cloud is asking what that scent (sorry... flavor) is, I had to pause it so I could giggle and reminisce. I know what it's like to spend a lot of time in a cloud that smells vaguely like fruit.

Sometimes you see something in a TV show or movie that seems so silly and ridiculous that you think it's obviously just a joke, and then later you find out it's real.

Flavored Fog is one of those things for me.

In retrospect it seems obvious that it's real, if you're going to be spending a lot of time in a lot of fog you're going to want that fog to smell fairly pleasant, but if you had asked me before reading the above post if the fog stage performers use had scent I would have said "nah man, that's just crazy venture brothers stuff".

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
OK people, this has been bugging me ever since I noticed it : is there anything to the way Sirena wears her watch, on the inside of her wrist rather than the outside? Is it common? Is it just a random preference? Is it something that works on gender lines (I can already think of a stupid reason why men would wear it on the outside)? Am I obsessing over something meaningless?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

X_Toad posted:

OK people, this has been bugging me ever since I noticed it : is there anything to the way Sirena wears her watch, on the inside of her wrist rather than the outside? Is it common? Is it just a random preference? Is it something that works on gender lines (I can already think of a stupid reason why men would wear it on the outside)? Am I obsessing over something meaningless?

A lot of people wear their 'watches' like that because they're health trackers pulling double duty and that makes HR monitoring easier since the main sensor's resting against the radial pulse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My dad’s been a mechanic most of his life and wears watches with the face inside his wrist because he kept breaking the glass while working if he had it facing out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I find it more comfortable to roll my wrist that way, because of how the elbow moves.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A lot of people wear their 'watches' like that because they're health trackers pulling double duty and that makes HR monitoring easier since the main sensor's resting against the radial pulse.

Read that as 'human resources' monitoring first and was reminded that we're on the cusp of a nightmare hellscape where employers require wearing monitors as a prerequisite to receiving health care benefits.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

X_Toad posted:

a lot of military people wear it like that so they dont gently caress up the face hitting things

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it has to be a smart watch health monitor video screen communicator watch kind of thing, we know sirena works out and i cannot think of any possible reason why a young adult woman would habitually wear just a normal watch

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Wearing a stupid rolex/omega watch that costs $183,000 is still common for rich people

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It was also a common 80s girl stylistic choice, and SIrena seems like a legwarmers and New Wave kinda girl. (She can recognize a Bad outfit; she must know 80s pop).

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

luxury handset posted:

i cannot think of any possible reason why a young adult woman would habitually wear just a normal watch

...To tell what time it is? Why would that be a weird thing for a young woman to do?

Also, in terms of story evidence, didn’t she say she had to be in water every couple of hours or something last season?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also because fashion?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

feetnotes posted:

...To tell what time it is? Why would that be a weird thing for a young woman to do?

Also, in terms of story evidence, didn’t she say she had to be in water every couple of hours or something last season?

It's once every 12 or 16 hours, or maybe 8... something like that.

And I don't see a problem with a woman wearing a watch. It's not clear if it's a regular watch, a super-fancy Rolex (or other ultra expensive) watch, a fitness watch, or a smart watch. But in any event, I also don't see a woman wearing a watch as a weird thing.

Of course, I'm old. I think it's dumb not to wear a watch "because I have a clock on my phone, duh!" So then every time you need to know what time it is, you pull your phone out, look at it, and put it away? That's not a better solution, whippersnappers. That is exactly the reason that the wristwatch was invented--so people could stop digging a clock out of their pockets when they wanted to know what time it was.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

feetnotes posted:

thats what phones are for. young people don't wear watches to tell what time it is, they wear them to impress people with how wealthy they are - which is pretty much why old people wear watches too. the only people who wear watches to use the watch as a time keeping device are generally blue collar boomer types

feedmyleg posted:

Also because fashion?

as part of an outfit, sure, but habitually? to class, while jogging? fitbit

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Watches are a fashion accessory - they aren't very good at telling the time compared to a phone but they look cool and can be coordinated with your outfit !!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I keep my phone on a chain and in my waistcoat pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

luxury handset posted:

thats what phones are for. young people don't wear watches to tell what time it is, they wear them to impress people with how wealthy they are - which is pretty much why old people wear watches too. the only people who wear watches to use the watch as a time keeping device are generally blue collar boomer types

as part of an outfit, sure, but habitually? to class, while jogging? fitbit

You know that fitness tracker watches exist right