Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/9101

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

This doesn't even loving break anything and yet all these crazy people are getting upset that python isn't going to use the word slave any more.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That cookie preference poo poo broke down with "not all of our partners support https" for me. :suicide:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my favorite solution to the master/slave fight is redis's where they kept the words but added a note in the docs to remind people that slavery is bad

e: https://redis.io/commands/slaveof

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 12, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVwKjGbz60k

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Flat Daddy posted:

my favorite solution to the master/slave fight is redis's where they kept the words but added a note in the docs to remind people that slavery is bad

e: https://redis.io/commands/slaveof

lmao this might be the worst take

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
iirc, the redis guy decided to reluctantly okay changing the terms after DHH plead with him a bit on twitter.

so that will get fixed eventually too

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yay, live TV debugging again,

Apparently NIO IPOd today, a Chinese firm copying Tesla. NIO however was used by Nuveen previously and many data services are still dumb and say the ticker is Nuveen. However at 10am this morning one post on the floor flipped all it's logos from new NIO to old NIO. Like that's two independent servers with no caching. 5 minutes later it corrected itself.

I turned on Cheddar and you can see both logos, as above, however you can see Nuveen is a different ticker code, one of their funds. I think someone is pulling my leg.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mystes posted:

This doesn't even loving break anything and yet all these crazy people are getting upset that python isn't going to use the word slave any more.

I understand the removal of slave I guess but removing "master" seems pretty silly. That use of terminology isn't even IT specific.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i'm learning about quaternions now because i'm thinking seriously about game dev. they're cool imo.

btw 3b1b just started releasing a series of videos on quaternions, it's some amazing stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0Bg

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

btw 3b1b just started releasing a series of videos on quaternions, it's some amazing stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0Bg

Scrub tier
https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-octonion-math-that-could-underpin-physics-20180720/

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
maybe in 30 years someone will find a neat application of octonions in programming, it'll be rad

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Symbolic Butt posted:

maybe in 30 years someone will find a neat application of octonions in programming, it'll be rad

quantum quaternions i bet

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chalks posted:

I understand the removal of slave I guess but removing "master" seems pretty silly. That use of terminology isn't even IT specific.

the dev says he isn't a native English speaker so he probably wasn't sure and played it safe

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
primary/secondary is a fine replacement for master/slave imo

parent/child seems to fit better in the cpython case though, or anything related to forking

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

necrotic posted:

parent/child seems to fit better in the cpython case though, or anything related to forking

you can take my KILL CHILD from my cold dead body

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

clifford algebras all the way imo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gonadic io posted:

this was a high priority bug epic had to fix after a catholic children's hospital got mad about it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

they haven't found any applications in actual physics yet, wait until they do that

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

necrotic posted:

Depends on the context, master is good for a bunch of stuff. Slave has always been clumsy terminology IMO

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
master/slave isn't even that good for most scenarios.

active/active active/passive active/readonly, etc... are better for like dbs and load balancing or stuff w/ peers

parent/child is good for something with hierarchy like processes, markup, or layout.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

active/active active/passive active/readonly, etc... are better for like dbs and load balancing or stuff w/ peers

parent/child is good for something with hierarchy like processes, markup, or layout.

Master works well for stuff like master passwords, or a master database containing access information for a bunch of other databases. It implies one system is in control of others to some degree, but isn't necessarily interchangeable or the origin of those systems.

Slave implies that a system not only provides a service to another, but is also incapable of providing services to any other system besides the one specifically assigned as its master. I struggle to think of scenarios where that's a good fit.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Really all we need to do is rename "cluster" to "Confederacy."

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
next people will get mad that my random::next_int always returns 1488

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

this feels like a very un-shaggar take

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my car/bicycle database setup

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

seems like just replacing slave with servant would be the absolute minimal change on all fronts but i can't think of anything that ever used those terms

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MononcQc posted:

my car/bicycle database setup

“The car crashed again and took out all the bicycles. it was a good day.”

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

is it really too hard to use manager/worker, or does that phrasing hit too close to home with how little control we have over our jobs sometimes? :v:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the1percent/the99percent

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

mario/luigis

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

is it really too hard to use manager/worker, or does that phrasing hit too close to home with how little control we have over our jobs sometimes? :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lime posted:

seems like just replacing slave with servant would be the absolute minimal change on all fronts but i can't think of anything that ever used those terms

our product's mainframe version has a control region and some servant regions in memory, that's the only time i've heard servant used

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
If we use master and servant I'm going to have that Depeche Mode song stuck in my head all the time. I can't work like this.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Lime posted:

mario/luigis

mario/yoshis

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I use leader if a server elected (as in quorum systems), and master if it is a title bestowed upon the server by an operator. The leader or master is backed by followers, which may replace it some day. "replicas" for the followers works as well, but carries a meaning of "never gonna be made leader or master and is only there for redundancy". I don't really know if there's a stigma attached to it, but I always figured that 'master/follower' would never hit the same sensitive spot that 'master/slave' usually does since it re-contextualizes 'master' a bit. So far no complaints.

Primary/secondary can work well, but mostly in a tight failover/takeover scenario with paired hardware that doesn't really change topology: there is an expectation that you have two computers, the task runs mainly on one, the primary. If the primary fails, the systems fails over to the secondary. As soon as the primary comes back up, it may take over the work again, and the secondary sits tight doing little.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Nobleman/peasant

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

gonadic io posted:

we have software running on embedded devices that hits our server, it then reads the json response.

one of our requirements was to have a way to force the device to basically do a factory reset.

this is what we use:

code:
{
  "event_type": "SUICIDE_PILL",
  "payload": {
    "reason": "kill yourself"
  }
}

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MononcQc posted:

I use leader if a server elected (as in quorum systems), and master if it is a title bestowed upon the server by an operator. The leader or master is backed by followers, which may replace it some day. "replicas" for the followers works as well, but carries a meaning of "never gonna be made leader or master and is only there for redundancy". I don't really know if there's a stigma attached to it, but I always figured that 'master/follower' would never hit the same sensitive spot that 'master/slave' usually does since it re-contextualizes 'master' a bit. So far no complaints.

Primary/secondary can work well, but mostly in a tight failover/takeover scenario with paired hardware that doesn't really change topology: there is an expectation that you have two computers, the task runs mainly on one, the primary. If the primary fails, the systems fails over to the secondary. As soon as the primary comes back up, it may take over the work again, and the secondary sits tight doing little.

at one point epics server team started replicas "near real-time copies of production" which led to the very fun to say abbreviation NRTC (NURRTACK).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

jit bull transpile posted:

at one point epics server team started replicas "near real-time copies of production" which led to the very fun to say abbreviation NRTC (NURRTACK).

should be pronounced "nartic"