Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

gey muckle mowser posted:

The only extras I make a point of watching are Criterion ones, usually. If I have time after watching a film I sometimes go through some extras, especially if they are short, but usually after watching a 2 hour movie I don't want to sit and watch another couple hours of extra features. I just watched Return of the Living Dead III the other day and there are several 30 minute extras, who has time for that?

This is a problem for me too. I have a wife, toddler, newborn and a full time job. When I finally get to sit down in the evening and watch something, it's rare that I'll opt to watch features over an actual film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I tend to watch a lot of Vinegar Syndrome's extras. What's left from some of their restorations can be sparse, sometimes they're just shots of promotional materials, Christmas Evil had the comment cards from a test screening, and when they have interviews with cast and crew that can be pretty interesting.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm sure I'm in the minority being in the UK here, but does anyone import from the US and what do they use? I've been using WowHD but I wondered if there were others.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

I tend to watch a lot of Vinegar Syndrome's extras. What's left from some of their restorations can be sparse, sometimes they're just shots of promotional materials, Christmas Evil had the comment cards from a test screening, and when they have interviews with cast and crew that can be pretty interesting.

Christmas Evil also has an audio commentary with John Waters, which makes it one of the coolest Blu-rays I own.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My problem with commentaries is if I haven't seen the movie in a while, I just want to watch the movie without commentary. And if I've seen it recently, I don't want to watch it again. So I really only watch commentaries on my favorite movies that I'm already very familiar with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As I've branched out into all different eras and genres of film, my time watching commentaries has gone way down because yea it always seems like my time would be better spent just watching another film. Back in college it was much easier to justify spending a few hours watching a commentary track because I was still basically watching the same handful of movies over and over.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

As I've branched out into all different eras and genres of film, my time watching commentaries has gone way down because yea it always seems like my time would be better spent just watching another film. Back in college it was much easier to justify spending a few hours watching a commentary track because I was still basically watching the same handful of movies over and over.

Back in 2003 when I had a DVD player, and started buying movies, a movie was an investment. If I was out shopping and saw a movie I wanted, I would have to stop and think about if I could really justify dropping $20+. If that fucker had 3 commentaries on it, I would watch one a week because I had nothing new to watch.

These days if I'm out shopping and I see a movie I like and want to watch I can just buy it. Hell, a month ago I was at Walmart and saw the Terminator on Blu for $6, and it was the most expensive item I bought that day.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

wa27 posted:

My problem with commentaries is if I haven't seen the movie in a while, I just want to watch the movie without commentary. And if I've seen it recently, I don't want to watch it again. So I really only watch commentaries on my favorite movies that I'm already very familiar with.

yeah same, I love the idea of commentary tracks but I own a shitload of movies and have probably listened to the commentaries on a handful of them. Also sometimes I'll start the commentary but if I get 15 minutes in and it's boring I'll stop and turn it off.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Buying a DVD, especially a well-done one for a catalogue film, felt definitive at the time. Like "okay, I now have a perfect digital widescreen copy of this movie, along with a pile of additional material about it." My T2 Ultimate Edition truly seemed ultimate at the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The things I liked about commentaries, podcasts do now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I, Butthole posted:

Ban this sick filth

This bothers you but not the fact that he likes the Breakfast Club?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is anyone using some software to catalog their stuff? I really should have an insurance list of my movies, books, and games. I had one built in Collectorz years ago but that was only for books, and they want you to have to buy separate packages for other media. All the free options for this sort of thing seem to be discontinued right now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Is anyone using some software to catalog their stuff? I really should have an insurance list of my movies, books, and games. I had one built in Collectorz years ago but that was only for books, and they want you to have to buy separate packages for other media. All the free options for this sort of thing seem to be discontinued right now.

I think my OG Doom House release is the only thing I have that's completely irreplaceable

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still use Collectorz. It’s not great, but it’s gotten better over the last couple years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Casimir Radon posted:

I just have a Google Sheet broken up by DVD / Blu-rays, music and books.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Casimir Radon posted:

I use Blu-ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=201798&categoryid=7

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Same here. They have a good app too so you can sort your collection and wishlist. My favorite feature is being able to scan barcodes to catalog and to see if you already own something.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What I really wish they'd do is make commentaries available like podcasts. There's hundreds of commentaries I'd love to listen to, but it's just drat inconvenient. I know there's ways to convert into MKV and stuff, but still...

I'll usually binge on extras if it's an interesting movie. I tend to watch everything on a Criterion. Hell, the last commentary I listened to all the way through was King of Jazz because I was fascinated by the movie.

Really, the stuff I jump to immediately are things like old TV interviews, especially complete episodes. Criterion has been mining a lot of great stuff from Dick Cavett, Tom Snyder, and BBC lately. Stagecoach has a 90 min interview with John Ford, The Philadelphia Story has two of Cavett interviewing Katherine Hepburn, and Foreign Correspondent has Hitchcock on Cavett's show. The last one is amazing because Hitchcock doesn't even talk much about film, but rather philosophies on storytelling and random stuff like pulling pranks. (Also, that episode has a great commercial break gag going from Hitch and Cavett standing side-by-side, then returning to only Hitchcock holding a knife).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

This just popped up on my Twitter. Basically, Apple removed movies this guy bought on iTunes and won’t refund him, instead offering a few free rentals. Just another reason to stick with buying movies.

https://twitter.com/drandersgs/status/1039270646243414016?s=21

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
LOL, and the very thing I warned people about is happening. Digital copies and streaming are bullshit, stick to physical media.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

This bothers you but not the fact that he likes the Breakfast Club?

I, Butthole posted:

Ban this sick filth

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Liar Lyre posted:

This just popped up on my Twitter. Basically, Apple removed movies this guy bought on iTunes and won’t refund him, instead offering a few free rentals. Just another reason to stick with buying movies.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm just getting to be an old curmudgeony gently caress when I go on rants about my distrust of The Cloud as a concept and how I don't "pay for air."

I might still be wrong, but I see stuff like this and I just nod.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

VoodooXT posted:

LOL, and the very thing I warned people about is happening. Digital copies and streaming are bullshit, stick to physical media.

Paying for a subscription to a streaming service with rotating titles is okay, but buying a single item without actually owning it IS bullshit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just getting to be an old curmudgeony gently caress when I go on rants about my distrust of The Cloud as a concept and how I don't "pay for air."

I might still be wrong, but I see stuff like this and I just nod.

:same:

I had some kid tell me I was dumb for buying physical media in TYOOL 2018, young millennials are weird

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Paying for a subscription to a streaming service with rotating titles is okay, but buying a single item without actually owning it IS bullshit.

My issue with streaming services is how largely it's becoming Balkanized. I'm not paying for multiple streaming services.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Usually the trick is that things are delisted but still able to be downloaded/appear in your queue. Just nuking them is busted as all gently caress.

VoodooXT posted:

My issue with streaming services is how largely it's becoming Balkanized. I'm not paying for multiple streaming services.
Truth. They'll even pull series' from one service to another. Hulu used to have the CW WB shows on like a day or two after airing. It was a great way to keep current with them.
Now they're on Netflix like 3 weeks after the season ends.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

StudioCanal are doing 4K releases for Escape From New York, They Live, The Fog & Prince of Darkness. The Blus will probably be Region B locked, but the 4K restorations should be amazing. Plus the packaging looks BEAUTIFUL.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

https://twitter.com/drandersgs/status/1039270646243414016?s=21

I've been trying to explain this exact thing to people for years.

This is a crazy concept to some people now, but when I buy something I like to actually own a thing instead of hypothetical idea of the thing which can be revoked and not refunded at any time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

This is a crazy concept to some people now, but when I buy something I like to actually own a thing instead of hypothetical idea of the thing which can be revoked and not refunded at any time.

:same:, plus I’m a huge sucker for great covers/packaging

Liar Lyre posted:

StudioCanal are doing 4K releases for Escape From New York, They Live, The Fog & Prince of Darkness. The Blus will probably be Region B locked, but the 4K restorations should be amazing. Plus the packaging looks BEAUTIFUL.

Like this :stare:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I know a guy who likes to give people grief about anything he perceives to be clutter. So book and movie collections would qualify for him. He's got two kids and won't quit fantasizing about tiny houses, which I have to imagine would be a really lovely thing to inflict on a kid.

Liar Lyre posted:

Goddamnit. I just bought The Fog and They Live Shout! Steelbooks this year.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

I've been trying to explain this exact thing to people for years.

Amazon seems to be better about it. Back in 2011 I purchased Season 1 of RuPaul's Drag Race. At some point Viacom pulled it from every platform, making it impossible to purchase anywhere. They only recently made it available to purchase again. And yet, during that entire time, I was still able to watch it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've purchased a few things through Amazon that I'm fairly certain will never get Blu-ray releases, and feel pretty safe.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I own plenty of digital goods that have been delisted for sale but I've never had something become unavailable despite my buying it short of a storefront shuttering entirely. That's strange.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I know a guy who likes to give people grief about anything he perceives to be clutter. So book and movie collections would qualify for him. He's got two kids and won't quit fantasizing about tiny houses, which I have to imagine would be a really lovely thing to inflict on a kid.

This guy would probably have a heart attack and die if he saw all the poo poo I have. I'm way into books, comic books, records, and movies and have never purchased digital versions of any of these things.

TheScott2K posted:

I own plenty of digital goods that have been delisted for sale but I've never had something become unavailable despite my buying it short of a storefront shuttering entirely. That's strange.

It may not be common but it is something the merchants and/or rights holders can do at any time. I also just like having a thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I've been buying digital and physical copies lately, and that's been kinda cool. Digital right when it comes out, weeks ahead of the full release, and physical a few years later when it's cheap.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The point of physical media is really obvious when you see nearly anything from boutique labels.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Between stuff like this and the internet providers trying to limit download speeds is what will keep this from completely replacing physical media. It easier with music when they are not that large of size compare to a 2 hour movie in 4K.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The point of physical media is really obvious when you see nearly anything from boutique labels.

This too. There's really no single reason why I stick to physical media for anything.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
On the subject of extras, the Alien Quadrilogy is still my favorite. I never really got into any DVDs or collections like I did that one. Every night of winter break was a different disc of extras.

What are some of your favorite extras from a movie(s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If they (consistently) did it the same way as music it would be fine. When you download a digital album, from most vendors, you simply get to have the files forever unless you lose all your backups. It took a little while to get to that point, but they did, and now it's great.