Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LionArcher posted:

Look, a macrumors poster! The screen on the xR will in all likelihood be fine if not awesome, since most people don’t know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to screen quality, viewing distance and pixels online.

You can cram all the hardware pixels you want, the system’s picture output is still locked to an equivalent-to-720 image.

I love how my iPad Pro displays images more crisply than any other device I own. I wouldn’t want to take a step backward in that department, viewing distances be damned. At $750 I want a screen that’s as indistinguishable from paper as previous models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I just use my phone for listening to podcasts taking photos of my kids and staring at twitter I don’t need it to gently caress my eyeballs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What a huge wet fart, and I am typically a pretty unapologetic fanboy. Welp I guess I will go down to the apple store and buy whatever iPhone SE they have in stock to replace my busted one because no way in hell am I going back to the 6 form factor and :lol: at the cost of the "plebeian" XR. I don't need a phone that does everything my 5K iMac does you dummies!

You will when they replace the MacBook with a phone+dock. Or better yet, a dummy $1000 laptop device that wirelessly connects to the phone in your pocket.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You will when they replace the MacBook with a phone+dock. Or better yet, a dummy $1000 laptop device that wirelessly connects to the phone in your pocket.

This thing that doesn't exist sounds neat. I suppose I am no longer becoming their target user. I went from the iPhone 6 to the SE purely because I missed having a smaller phone and found the SE did everything I wanted (long battery, great videos/photos). I never take a selfie so that didn't worry me. ApplePay works, touch ID worked. I even went from a larger iPad to a 4th gen iPad Mini and that is the best thing in the universe. I really do not want a phone rivaling the size of my iPad.

Truly this is troubling times, Tim.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there any reason to get an XR over an X other than the A12? X gives you OLED screen, dual lens camera, and 3D Touuch (which I don’t use for anything except to turn on night shift and adjust flashlight intensity from command center but those are SUPER useful)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

fourwood posted:

Wtf was with the opening video that made a big deal about AirPods but then they never did anything about AirPods during the talk

Can you just imagine a conference room where they show that excrement for an opening video to Steve for approval? It ends, and they all turn toward him with rapturous smiles like they've not just shat out the worst kind of turd.

It was so cringe. Painful.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Please make this:

- SE form factor
- tiny bezels and Face ID
- upgraded camera
- “waterproof”
- hopefully better battery life
- a normal price
e: - a12
- same wide angle camera as the others

= Would sell like crazy IMO

Xabi fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 12, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dumb idea: make an iphone with the SE form factor.
great idea: make an iphone with the 4S form factor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

XyrlocShammypants posted:

But AirPods are great?

I’m just being mean about them because they’re only average in terms of sound. If they did an IEM style that was of similar quality to my old Klipsch pair, I’d probably get them.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Wait so are they going to stop selling the SE or are they just not refreshing it?

If they're getting rid of it I might actually pick one up.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any reason to get an XR over an X other than the A12? X gives you OLED screen, dual lens camera, and 3D Touuch (which I don’t use for anything except to turn on night shift and adjust flashlight intensity from command center but those are SUPER useful)

3D Touch is a requirement for me so I can easily move the cursor around while typing. I hate not being able to do this on my iPad.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

EpicNemesis posted:

3D Touch is a requirement for me so I can easily move the cursor around while typing. I hate not being able to do this on my iPad.

Wait did the original X not have 3D Touch? Seriously?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Is it too much to ask to refresh the iPod Touch with some upgraded guts? They're still selling the same one from like 3-4 years ago and I need an upgrade... and I'm not laying out hundreds more for an iPhone with phone parts I don't need.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

64bit_Dophins posted:

Huh? X has 3d touch, XR does not, XS does.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

64bit_Dophins posted:

No, the old X and new XS both have 3D Touch.

It’s only absent from the XR.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

64bit_Dophins posted:

The iPhone X has 3D Touch

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Looks like I'm keeping my 6 for another year.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Xr has LCD display instead of regular X OLED which might tie into the lack of 3D Touch. It's a different display altogether.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Apple Vaporware

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ufarn posted:

The Xr has LCD display instead of regular X OLED which might tie into the lack of 3D Touch. It's a different display altogether.
Didn't all previous iPhones (except the X) have LCD displays? And they had 3D Touch since 2015 lol

I'm not even a fan of that feature, but it seems weird for them to omit it on this model when all the others have it. Having an LCD display never seemed to restrict 3D Touch capability the last few years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Is it too much to ask to refresh the iPod Touch with some upgraded guts? They're still selling the same one from like 3-4 years ago and I need an upgrade... and I'm not laying out hundreds more for an iPhone with phone parts I don't need.

If Apple was less dumb they’d update the Touch mildly and then flog them hard at the education market. There’s a ton of classroom stuff where the iPad gets the crap kicked out of it by Chromebooks but something the size of the Touch would be perfect.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

AlternateAccount posted:

Can you just imagine a conference room where they show that excrement for an opening video to Steve for approval? It ends, and they all turn toward him with rapturous smiles like they've not just shat out the worst kind of turd.

It was fine, and I’m sorry you hate light-hearted fun?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Ah yes, Steve “and here’s my friend Bono/Chris Martin to wrap up this keynote with a song” Jobs.

Steve once wanted to give away some golden tickets in (I think) iPod boxes for tours of the Apple headquarters. He was literally gonna dress up like Willy Wonka and do this whole bit and the board had to like talk him out of it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't mean this sarcastically, but does the new iOS actually let you mass-close notification without 3D Touch? Because not having that for my 5S is maddening.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm curious how much the low heart rate and optical afib warning on the watch will piss off more athletic users with low resting heartrate and high HR variation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ufarn posted:

I don't mean this sarcastically, but does the new iOS actually let you mass-close notification without 3D Touch? Because not having that for my 5S is maddening.
Yep. I think they changed that a couple betas ago. Before it was 3D Touch-only, but now you can do it without.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just got home from work. How do I watch it? Is there a stream archive or link yet?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Housh posted:

I just got home from work. How do I watch it? Is there a stream archive or link yet?
https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2018/

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

ah... the canadian one just has an abrupt slide show SPOILERS lol https://www.apple.com/ca/apple-events/september-2018/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
You're really not missing much, it's a spec-bump

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

64bit_Dophins posted:

Wait so are they going to stop selling the SE or are they just not refreshing it?

I hope not. Otherwise how will we identify who the paupers are?

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Sum it up? Is there a new SE or not? Noone give a poo poo about a new goddawful 7+++++.

Industry news isn't even reporting it really and stock hasn't moved so...

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

So do bands work on the new Series 4 then?

Also - do people actually buy just the watch itself (no strap). I'd quite like to hang onto my stainless link band when I sell my S2, which would mean either selling it sans band or buying one to go with it.

Also lol @ UK prices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the big deal with delaying AirPower? How hard is it to 'tape some charging pads together'?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

What's the big deal with delaying AirPower? How hard is it to 'tape some charging pads together'?

Apparently it’s really loving hard if like the biggest tech company in the world can’t get it to work LMAO.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

no pubes yet sorry posted:

Sum it up? Is there a new SE or not? Noone give a poo poo about a new goddawful 7+++++.

Industry news isn't even reporting it really and stock hasn't moved so...

No

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Steve once wanted to give away some golden tickets in (I think) iPod boxes for tours of the Apple headquarters. He was literally gonna dress up like Willy Wonka and do this whole bit and the board had to like talk him out of it.

Uhhhh that's amazing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MarcusSA posted:

Apparently it’s really loving hard if like the biggest tech company in the world can’t get it to work LMAO.

Maybe this loving idiot Tim will finally learn to not announce things before they’re at least in prototype stage

Same poo poo happened with AirPods and HomePod although at least those were eventually released

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It feels a bit weird that the cheapest X phone is also not the smaller one, I really don't understand the need for phones to constantly get bigger in size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oasx posted:

It feels a bit weird that the cheapest X phone is also not the smaller one, I really don't understand the need for phones to constantly get bigger in size.

Because otherwise Samsung would make fun of them.

• Locked thread