Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slavvy posted:

:catstare: does the 460 stand for cc?

Add a decimal between the 4 and 6 and that's the displacement in cubic inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You should get a liter saw if you're not a pussy.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I started out on a liter saw and never had an accident.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Geoj posted:

Holy poo poo at the number of Warning! in that operation manual.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Slavvy posted:

:catstare: does the 460 stand for cc?

BBF chainsaw. A chainsaw for a giant robot.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even little chainsaws are deadly as hell. My uncle told me he knew a big dude that was cutting branches higher than shoulder level one handed with a little chainsaw . It kicked back, cut his jugular, and the dude died right there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

So a 75cc, literally bigger than a child's dirt bike. :catstare:

Yet another thing that would never be legal if it were invented today.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cripes, ESPN the Ocho used to show "Hot Saw" action.

Basically amounted to everyone strapping on a VW Beetle engine.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 12, 2018

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cripes, ESPN the Ocho used to show "Hot Saw" action.

Basically amounted to everyone strapping on a VW Beetle engine.

The venerable aluminum Buick 215 gets used a lot for the doubles competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ereEhTuBlwA

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The lumberjack games are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlI5HQZD4I

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

joat mon posted:

The venerable aluminum Buick 215 gets used a lot for the doubles competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ereEhTuBlwA

I need to ask, have they done a turbo'd one?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Colostomy Bag posted:

I need to ask, have they done a turbo'd one?

I've seen a Chevy LS-powered chainsaw on YouTube somewhere. It's a force to be reckoned with.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

Chainsaw pants are amazing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ejn7wB9vM

E: youtube being a gently caress on my end, skip to 1:24

I think I linked this in the OSHA thread before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEg89lfj_Vg&t=170s

e: I've been told that electric chainsaws are not fazed by protective clothing of any sort, but I've never seen a demonstration. Maybe we need to wrap a dreamcast in chainsaw pants?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I will always have an old Readers Digest story in my mind when I handle any chainsaw. Guy was cutting trees in the middle of God drat nowhere and hit some barbed wire or fencing that had grown into the wood and cut essentially one half of his circulatory system in his neck, then proceeded to wrap himself up in his work clothes and walk half naked to the highway to flag down help.

I might be a little glib with some dangerous tools but I'll always give the chainsaw a locked elbow and some hefty respect.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IPCRESS posted:

e: I've been told that electric chainsaws are not fazed by protective clothing of any sort, but I've never seen a demonstration. Maybe we need to wrap a dreamcast in chainsaw pants?

Torque from a gas engine goes down as RPM falls, so you can shut it down. Torque from an electric motor goes UP as RPM falls. You can still stop one, but it’s a different math problem, so to speak.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mischief posted:

I will always have an old Readers Digest story in my mind when I handle any chainsaw. Guy was cutting trees in the middle of God drat nowhere and hit some barbed wire or fencing that had grown into the wood and cut essentially one half of his circulatory system in his neck, then proceeded to wrap himself up in his work clothes and walk half naked to the highway to flag down help.

I might be a little glib with some dangerous tools but I'll always give the chainsaw a locked elbow and some hefty respect.

My grandfather fell out of a tree using a chainsaw, broke his leg and died from a PE later. But then there's also being under someone using a chainsaw in a tree:

quote:

A woman was killed after her husband fell from a ladder as he pruned some garden trees and his chainsaw struck her on the neck.

Pauline Pudney, 57, who watched her husband, Roland, cut branches with the electric chainsaw in the back garden of their home in Eltham, south-east London, died instantly.

Mr Pudney, 56, lost his footing on the ladder on Monday afternoon and, as he fell, the chainsaw's teeth dug into his wife's neck, severing arteries.

Neighbours heard Mr Pudney scream out: "Somebody help. Call an ambulance. She's not breathing. She's not breathing."

Later, Mr Pudney had to be taken to hospital to be treated for deep shock. He remained there until yesterday.

"We are treating this as a tragic accident," a Scotland Yard spokesman said. "The wife was not decapitated."

Mrs Pudney worked as a neighbourhood housing officer with Lewisham council.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1468672/Wife-killed-as-chainsaw-husband-fell.html
Either way I stay the gently caress away from chainsaws.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slim Pickens posted:

Chainsaw pants are amazing, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ejn7wB9vM

E: youtube being a gently caress on my end, skip to 1:24

I was cutting up some storm-felled trees with a chainsaw when I was in the State Emergency Service in my early 20s, so maybe '98 or '99. I had full safety gear on, which was lucky, because as I went to cut through a ~8" branch off the side of a gum tree, I found that it was rotten all the way through, and the force I had put on the 'saw was way too much. I ended up smacking myself in the right inner thigh and ballsack with a 25" Stihl chainsaw going top speed. I managed to push my left hand into the chain brake when it was on the rebound. I hosed up the set of chainsaw chaps I was wearing really badly and went down for a little while with the ball pain, chainsaw still running on the ground next to me.

I have a healthy respect for chainsaws from before and since this incident and I wouldn't touch one without the proper PPE. I imagine best case scenario without them would have been that I wouldn't have ever had kids, through to medium-case having to sit down to piss, to worst-case mulching my femoral artery and bleeding out in seconds.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slavvy posted:

So a 75cc, literally bigger than a child's dirt bike. :catstare:

Yet another thing that would never be legal if it were invented today.

Still also make the MS880 Magnum

121cc, 8.6hp and up to a 59" bar on it. I've had a play with one in the dealership and its just a monster of a machine.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

LifeSunDeath posted:

My grandfather fell out of a tree using a chainsaw, broke his leg and died from a PE later. But then there's also being under someone using a chainsaw in a tree:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1468672/Wife-killed-as-chainsaw-husband-fell.html

That's literally 5 mins from where I live and was wondering why I didn't hear about it since, although technically part of London, the suburbs out here are so boring that ANYTHING hits the news and this seems a bit more news worthy than most the poo poo that hits local rags.

Then i realised it was 14 years ago.

But drat, poor dude. Killing a spouse / family member by accident must be horrific thing to deal with for the rest of your life. Like how do you go on dating after that:

"so, tell me about any past relationships you have had"
"I killed my last wife with chainsaw... *finishes drink* ... by accident"
":catstare:"

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LifeSunDeath posted:

I wonder how old that Chainsaw was. Our Stil gas driven one stops as soon as the handle is let go or the kick guard is triggered.
It sound like something my granddad would accidentally do with old as poo poo tools.
He is a really unpractical man.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

I wonder how old that Chainsaw was. Our Stil gas driven one stops as soon as the handle is let go or the kick guard is triggered.
It sound like something my granddad would accidentally do with old as poo poo tools.
He is a really unpractical man.

People defeat safety interlocks all the time. He probably had a couple of rubber bands on the grip safety.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Still also make the MS880 Magnum

121cc, 8.6hp and up to a 59" bar on it. I've had a play with one in the dealership and its just a monster of a machine.

:psyduck: jesus gently caress what is that even for?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slavvy posted:

58" trees.

And barwaving contests.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I would cut trees with this:

from an extreme distance.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Midjack posted:

People defeat safety interlocks all the time. He probably had a couple of rubber bands on the grip safety.
Zip ties work better.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Slavvy posted:

These

And those are "small" ones

quote:

Giant sequoias can grow to be about 30 feet (9 meters) in diameter and more than 250 feet (76 m) tall. The biggest of these behemoths is General Sherman, a giant sequoia in Sequoia National Park. General Sherman stands 275 feet (84 m) tall, has a 102-foot (31 m) circumference, and weighs an incredible 2.7 million lbs. (1.2 million kilograms)...
Redwoods
These tallest of trees reach heights of more than 350 feet (107 m). The tallest tree in the world  is named Hyperion, which reaches 379.7 feet (115.7 m). Redwoods can achieve a diameter of 24 feet (7 m), and 1.6 million lbs. (725,700 kg).

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 13, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
A chainsaw dropped from height could easily be heavy enough to kill someone via blunt trauma whether it's running or not.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

Morbo the Newsmonster posted:

Chainsaws do not work that way!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

These

And those are "small" ones

Ok cool! Why does it have to be cut by a guy holding a final fantasy weapon instead of like, a bulldozer with a giant skill saw or something?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”

― George Bernard Shaw

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Ok cool! Why does it have to be cut by a guy holding a final fantasy weapon instead of like, a bulldozer with a giant skill saw or something?

Because it looks badass as hell, clearly.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

mischief posted:

I've read the same story and it has been over 20 years ago. Never could forget it either.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
That's odd because I also have Readers Digest story about a chainsaw accident that I always remember when handling one.

Guys fucks up while chainsawing in the woods and cuts his own neck. Gets back in his truck and drives to the hospital while quote 'holding his head on'.

Now I appreciate that human biology means that couldn't have been medically completely accurate, but it still makes me respect the hell out of this things.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I'm going to need to see evidence, either video or firsthand. But lots of it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spog posted:

That's odd because I also have Readers Digest story about a chainsaw accident that I always remember when handling one.

Guys fucks up while chainsawing in the woods and cuts his own neck. Gets back in his truck and drives to the hospital while quote 'holding his head on'.

Now I appreciate that human biology means that couldn't have been medically completely accurate, but it still makes me respect the hell out of this things.

One of the people injured by takata airbags had to reach into her neck and hold the nick in her jugular shut.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Deteriorata posted:

“There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?”

― George Bernard Shaw

"Because if it was gonna, it woulda"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Deteriorata posted:

― George Bernard Shaw

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

This is so stupid.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Nocheez posted:

This is so stupid.

I'm not going to make you leave, but I strongly suggest that you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Nocheez posted:

This is so stupid.

I disagree vigorously.