Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I look forward to whatever causes the Conor fight to not happen, which is a much more likely outcome than any "r2 KO"

I won't watch it even if it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

It's not really hypnosis when the way he fights every time plays into Conor's strengths while it's on the feet.

Conor is a uniquely awful match up for Eddie. Also, I think Conor's pressure footwork is a little under appreciated. It trapped Eddie in positions where Eddie must have felt his only option was to try his luck leading with his right and he got insanely countered. That's the only Conor MMA fight I've picked correctly.

I thought Aldo and Chad would both beat him. I thought Nate would lose the first fight on account of having no camp, and I thought Conor would lose the rematch. Though he did have to dig insanely deep and literally jog away at points to make it to a decision.

Conor's wild ride has been fun outside of the times where he gets his hands on a belt and grinds an entire division to a halt for a year or more.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Skip My Posts posted:

sounds like TJ wants the Cejudo fight

Seems like if anyone has earned an immediate rematch it's DJ but I guess he's injured right now?

Actually, I wonder if DJ is just going to retire. Dude has indicated he hates risking head injury, he'll never top his previous championship reign, he's on the wrong side of 30, and he has other stuff he can fall back on (video game streaming lol).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

FishBowlRobot posted:

Definitely Khabib’s best opponent. The thing is, Conor made Aldo and Eddie both fight in a dumb way.
Is Khabib too much of a stone cold single-minded killer, or will he too fall victim to Irish hypnosis?

That's the tragedy of losing Tony x Khabib. That would have been (and still is) a dynamite fight to make.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ad by Khad posted:

I look forward to whatever causes the Conor fight to not happen, which is a much more likely outcome than any "r2 KO"

I won't watch it even if it does

Why wouldn’t you watch it? Don’t like fighting?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

il serpente cosmico posted:

Seems like if anyone has earned an immediate rematch it's DJ but I guess he's injured right now?

Actually, I wonder if DJ is just going to retire. Dude has indicated he hates risking head injury, he'll never top his previous championship reign, he's on the wrong side of 30, and he has other stuff he can fall back on (video game streaming lol).

I think he just has a couple minor surgeries for injuries that he’s been carrying that he wants to knock out and take some months to recover from correctly. I hope he comes back, I thought he won that fight anyway

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

That's the tragedy of losing Tony x Khabib. That would have been (and still is) a dynamite fight to make.

Tony vs Conor would be loving insanely sick too. Everyone pretty much agrees the conor Khabib fight will be one sided but Tony vs Conor would be a loving WAR.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I have no hot take on how Conor/Khabib is gonna go (if it even happens), I just wanna reiterate that "touch bus in the parking garage" was an all-time great post (I forget who made it). I still laugh about it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Gay Horney posted:

Tony vs Conor would be loving insanely sick too. Everyone pretty much agrees the conor Khabib fight will be one sided but Tony vs Conor would be a loving WAR.

lightweight is crazy. conor, khabib, tony and poirier all feel like guys who'd be champions in a normal division.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tony can take a ton of damage. I'm wondering how many of those shots from Conor he could take, though. Watching Edie get picked apart and stunned with those shots is kind of nuts. But then Nate walked through most of them, so who the hell knows. It's hard to know how good Conor is. It'd be one thing if he had another 6 fights against top guys under his belt, but he is still something of an enigma, somehow.

Anyway, I think I may just avoid betting on Conor / Khabib unless the money moves in one direction in a big way.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mekchu posted:

I look forward to the post fight "X was never really that good" discussion in a few weeks.

Both are good and cool and extremely flawed and either could lose in a very embarrassing way

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

It's not really hypnosis when the way he fights every time plays into Conor's strengths while it's on the feet.

Yeah eddie got dropped by every southpaw he ever fought including an irish guy without a wikipedia page

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

sounds like TJ wants the Cejudo fight

He clowns guys in his own division I can only imagine a division down

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

david carmichael posted:

Both are good and cool and extremely flawed and either could lose in a very embarrassing way

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bluedeanie posted:

Im posting that now about both guys if it makes you feel any better

Submitting work early. You'll go far in this industry kid.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

Tony can take a ton of damage. I'm wondering how many of those shots from Conor he could take, though. Watching Edie get picked apart and stunned with those shots is kind of nuts. But then Nate walked through most of them, so who the hell knows. It's hard to know how good Conor is. It'd be one thing if he had another 6 fights against top guys under his belt, but he is still something of an enigma, somehow.

Anyway, I think I may just avoid betting on Conor / Khabib unless the money moves in one direction in a big way.

I'm sure Conor has natural power and hits hard, but what makes him this devastating hitter is the way he sets his opponents up to be hit on exactly the right spots from angles where they don't see the punch coming. For example, look at the first time Eddie gets dropped in their fight. Eddie himself even said he had no idea what hit him or where it came from after the fight.

In their first fight Nate got hit clean a few times, but saw most of the punches coming, and rolled with a lot of them that did connect to take the sting off of them. In the second fight Conor was dropping Nate because he worked a lot harder to set Nate up and get those angles before he threw at Nate, and even then at no point did Conor feel that Nate was hurt bad enough to try to jump on Nate to get the finish.

I think if Khabib can find deny Conor the opportunities to hit him the way he hit Eddie, he can probably take enough Conor punches to weather the storm until Conor slows down and is way less dangerous.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

i think he will fade quickly. he looked alright for 5 rounds against diaz which is good going but i personally think khabib is even fitter and certainly stronger

He looked like death warmed over after the first round and a half against diaz.

Eat This Glob posted:

My first inclination might be my best in that Khabib took some shots against Johnson that were worrisome and you can't do that against Conor. Gun to my head, Conor tko r2. I'm pulling for Khabib though and really hopes he ragdolls Mac around the octagon for a few rounds before ground-and-pounding him into mush. That would be my ideal ending to the fight.

Conor rarely puts people out with one shot. Everyone bar Aldo and Poirier have taken multiple shots to put down, sometimes even multiple knockdowns. His timing is good and he's accurate, but people have survived multiple shots. Holloway survived a round and a half of them before Conor got tired and started wrestling.

Honestly, in terms of raw power, I think Johnson probably hits harder.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
nah, he doesnt

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Johnson definitely has faster hands but he doesn't hit harder at all. He is much more of a volume striker than mcgregor

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
johnson doesnt have anywhere near the resume of KOs and has pissed fights away by doing more moving than landing

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you guys keep talkin about conor/khabib like its actually going to happen this year or something

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Have to have something to look forward to in this sometimes barren wasteland of no hype called being a UFC fan

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

you guys keep talkin about conor/khabib like its actually going to happen this year or something

It already did happen. The bus lost

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Magical

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It loving unequivocally undeniably says straight blast cum

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm gonna pat myself on the back here, but back when Hakeem Dawodu was about to leave to do a camp for his first UFC fight at SBG, me and some friends were talking about it and I said something like "People go there to train with McGregor and end up with the Artem Lobov experience instead."

Hakeem's first training photo posted within one day of him arriving in Ireland was a picture of him with Artem. Never have I felt more right about anything.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Gay Horney posted:

Glad I'm not the only dude who saw that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

:hai:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
BJ Penn vs. Ryan Hall is official for UFC 232. I'm strangely hyped. lol

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

CRISPYBABY posted:

I'm gonna pat myself on the back here, but back when Hakeem Dawodu was about to leave to do a camp for his first UFC fight at SBG, me and some friends were talking about it and I said something like "People go there to train with McGregor and end up with the Artem Lobov experience instead."

Hakeem's first training photo posted within one day of him arriving in Ireland was a picture of him with Artem. Never have I felt more right about anything.

people go to sbg to learn the cowards way out of a fight, giving up your neck

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

wtf

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

hell yeah bj is back baby

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Dana just said as an excuse to not pay Eddie Alvarez that the ufc is only for guys who are at the top of their game trying to become champion

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

:cawg:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Somebody tweet that picture at Cody Garbrandt to see if he'll move to SBG for his next fight camp to "switch things up."

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

You know when you boot up mgs5 and Snake is sitting in the helicopter smoking a cigar on the way to yet another poo poo mission that won't change anything in some poo poo part of the world, and he just looks so weary and tired but he's gonna do it anyway because that's just how it is on this bitch of an earth?

Because that's how I feel reading this

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

we are at least 4 or 5 fights past the point when i stopped watching bj penn fights because they are too sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is BJ vs Ryan the most extreme pairing of fighter on downswing of career vs developing fighter? Excluding any Japanese MMA.

What's Ryan been up to? What's with the layoff?

• Locked thread