Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shiroc posted:

The Rays have tied the Mariners. Fire Dipoto, fire Servais, get rid of everyone except Diaz, Haniger and Segura.

e: Paxton, Gonzalez and Leblanc can stay too.

What about Healy?

I agree with you overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like Healy's skillset could be easily replaced, even if not for a cost savings, but with somebody more entertaining. Bring back Dae-Ho Lee.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I do think the team is due for a blow up, but Cano, Seager and Felix are under big contracts that will hard to work around.

No one's going to trade for them, certainly.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If Seager bounces back at all next season, he might be somewhat more movable than Cano and Felix, even if he wouldn't get too much back.

Maybe the Mariners do need to trade all of the good young guys for an army of prospects, so that by time they're ready, all of the bad contracts are on the way out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't want to lose Haniger, but you're probably right.

Man, I had real high hopes for this team.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Maybe in 10 years we can try again.

Let’s get a hockey team.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
While blowing this team to pieces would probably be the best thing to do - you know drat well that they're never going to do it. Mariners turning a profit = Stay the course.

At least Felix is gone after next year.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Meanwhile the county council just voted 5-4 to give the stadium $135m in taxpayer funds for upgrades.

Fuckin garbage

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Remember when Rickie Weeks played left field for the Mariners? That was weird.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Remember when Rickie Weeks played left field for the Mariners? That was weird.

That was back when Lloyd McLendon was the manager. Dark times indeed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

That was back when Lloyd McLendon was the manager. Dark times indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTDmVRD6apQ

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Whenever I see someone wearing Smoak or Ackley gear, I always feel a slight pang of pity.

I used to really like Brad Miller for some reason. Maybe its because my abbreviated little league career also consisted of power the rare times I could actually hit the ball and terrible fielding.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Smoak's been "pretty good" for the Blue Jays.

I'm so ashamed that the Mariners first picked Ackley though.

Edit: Second pick overall, after Strasburg.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Smoak's been "pretty good" for the Blue Jays.

I'm so ashamed that the Mariners first picked Ackley though.

Edit: Second pick overall, after Strasburg.

He was an absolute consensus #2 pick. I doubt any other team doesn’t make that pick.

The pick to be pissed about is Hultzen. Be very very pissed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Losing two to the Padres is loving embarrassing. I'm totally on board with blowing up the team and the front office.

Ichiro can stay.

Actually, can Ichiro be the manager?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
To be accurate, it is being swept by the Padres in the 4 game season series and now officially being lower in the standings than the Rays, who don't even have an actual starting rotation.

Seconding Ichiro for manager.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Shiroc posted:

To be accurate, it is being swept by the Padres in the 4 game season series and now officially being lower in the standings than the Rays, who don't even have an actual starting rotation.

Seconding Ichiro for manager.

Oh god, I managed to forget that we lost the other two too. gently caress this season.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah it’s a real trash fire folks

I’ll keep watching that garbage.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have tickets to the last two games of the season. At this point I'm just hoping that I get to see Bartolo pitch.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Shiroc posted:

I have tickets to the last two games of the season. At this point I'm just hoping that I get to see Bartolo pitch.

Saw bartolo pitch a weekday afternoon game earlier this year. I also saw him pitch in 2002 in Montreal.

Went to the game this afternoon. Maybe 5k really in attendance. At least weather was nice for last weekday afternoon game.

I think Ms are 0-4 in games I went to this year.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

If you told me before the start of the season that we'd be inside of 20 games remaining having been below .500 at no point during the year and Eddie having 50+ saves I would've been thrilled and also pretty sure you were a liar.

And yet, this being the Mariners, have found a way to turn that into another crushing disappointment.

That's my Ms.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Shiroc posted:

Whenever I see someone wearing Smoak or Ackley gear, I always feel a slight pang of pity.

I used to really like Brad Miller for some reason. Maybe its because my abbreviated little league career also consisted of power the rare times I could actually hit the ball and terrible fielding.

*Stares forlornly at the Ackley Jersey hanging in his closet*

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747
when will this stupid team be officially eliminated? I wanna watch that game

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Pretty soon. Probably the next 6 games.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My heart tells me that the Mariners are going to hold on just long enough to get eliminated at home by the As. A terrible collapse concluding with the As celebrating on the Mariners own field. Maybe even with Fernando Rodney finishing it and doing the goddamn arrow.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Shiroc posted:

My heart tells me that the Mariners are going to hold on just long enough to get eliminated at home by the As. A terrible collapse concluding with the As celebrating on the Mariners own field. Maybe even with Fernando Rodney finishing it and doing the goddamn arrow.

This is the most Mariners way it could happen so it is pretty much a certainty.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Shiroc posted:

really want to see this

specifically a palette-swapped version of this

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Shiroc posted:

After Diaz blows a shot at a 63rd save in the top of the inning.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The Mariners aren’t making it this year but let’s take stock in the fact that we are absolutely murdering the Astros with a bullpen start.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Also Mitch Haniger loving rules.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Some Numbers posted:

Also Mitch Haniger loving rules.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

M's never going to the playoffs

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Next year. Or not. But maybe.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Felix will get another start this year because hell why not

Because the season is now in garbage time with no pressure he will pitch an excellent game and be named the 2019 opening day starter

I will yell impotently about it at no one in particular

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Díaz isn’t even getting a chance at the record at this point so there is nothing redeemable about this season

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Díaz isn’t even getting a chance at the record at this point so there is nothing redeemable about this season

Hanniger

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Paxton was slightly less injured this year than last year...

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In a reversal from Felix, Paxton slowly increases his innings over the years, having lower inning counts of dominance for years, progressing to becoming a mediocre 200+ innings guy later in his career.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So Canadian Dallas Keuchel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Felix is officially a US citizen now.

• Locked thread