Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cwGwkupmWk

Star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do feel it’s weird Hbomberguy hates RLM as I have watched his videos on shows and from a critical point of view the styles are basically the same. From what they critic to how they do it.

I doubt Harris 'hates' RLM at all. He's just got a brainworm-tier tic to throw poo poo to the wind to defend his bad videos, "and actually you dumbass, you loving moron, they are good".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do feel it’s weird Hbomberguy hates RLM as I have watched his videos on shows and from a critical point of view the styles are basically the same. From what they critic to how they do it.

its because he fell into that weird culture war stupid hole of "well if the chuds hate it, it must be the most amazing thing ever and goodest thing because the other side hates it, there for anyone who doesn't like it is outright immoral". its kinda disappointing. also, i liked that movie too but its not to spite some moron online.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Most people don't actually know why the dislike the SW prequels because a) they haven't seen them fully through in forever; b) the nerd consensus at the time was shaped by then 20 year olds who didn't want a kid and a woman front and center; c) star wars makes people crazy

the only reason RLM's creepy dungeon videos on the prequels were as successful as they were is because they lent terrible "criticism" a veneer of legitimacy; now everyone has distributed talking points they can parrot

god forbid someone like hbomb go, "um those RLM critiques aren't...good?"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because he fell into that weird culture war stupid hole of "well if the chuds hate it, it must be the most amazing thing ever and goodest thing because the other side hates it, there for anyone who doesn't like it is outright immoral". its kinda disappointing. also, i liked that movie too but its not to spite some moron online.

what on earth what makes you think this :psyduck:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Most people don't actually know why the dislike the SW prequels because a) they haven't seen them in the past few years; b) the nerd consensus at the time was shaped by then 20 year olds who didn't want a kid and a woman front and center; c) star wars makes people crazy

the only reason RLM's creepy dungeon videos on the prequels were as successful as they were is because they lent terrible "criticism" a veneer of legitimacy; now everyone has distributed talking points they can parrot

god forbid someone like hbomb go, "um those RLM critiques aren't...good?"

what on earth what makes you think this :psyduck:

i watched the prequels a couple months ago and the really don't hold up and arnt good movies, and this is someone who grew up with them as "their" star wars. i think RLM makes pretty good points about the movies. they have issues and such but they have alot of good points.

did you see how many people went ape poo poo over the TLJ review. hell people called RLM alt right monsters because of it. Hbomber was probably the nicest one.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i watched the prequels a couple months ago and the really don't hold up and arnt good movies, and this is someone who grew up with them as "their" star wars. i think RLM makes pretty good points about the movies. they have issues and such but they have alot of good points.

No no; you don't understand. The self-described intellectual has spoken.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

did you see how many people went ape poo poo over the TLJ review. hell people called RLM alt right monsters because of it. Hbomber was probably the nicest one.

Yeah, even i remember liking the prequels as a 9-13 y/o, heck I still like RoTS. Also the reactions of people to anyone saying they didn't like TLJ got loving tiresome. No, I'm not some chud cause i thought your 2/3rds of your death-hill movie was bad.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isn't it possible that people just disagreed with their views on TLJ?

StealthArcher posted:

No no; you don't understand. The self-described intellectual has spoken.

what on earth OP

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

what on earth OP

"Most people don't know why they dislike things they dislike, truly, I am the arbiter of why thing considered bad was good actually"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

isn't it possible that people just disagreed with their views on TLJ?

what on earth OP

Read the collected tweets. They are a dozen or so pages back. It’s different then “we disagree with your opinion on the movie” also I didn’t agree fully with the rlm video about Tlj but I don’t view it as some conservative attack on progressive values like a bunch of people did.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

"Most people don't know why they dislike things they dislike, truly, I am the arbiter of why thing considered bad was good actually"

Waffles Inc. posted:

what on earth OP

it's true that many people do not know how to articulate why they don't like some of the art they don't like

you've never heard anyone say, "I just didn't like it" and then not be able to explain the reasons why? how else do you describe that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
can we just worldfilter RLM to The Most Holy Prophet or something so it looks less weird when people spend pages going 'you don't like RLM's new video? My god you must be sick in the head'?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Hbomb has liked the prequels since long before Star Wars became a major battleline in the culture war. In this very thread well before he was even posting analytical videos to youtube and his entire output consisting of playing family guy guys and hitman, he was defending the prequels. Like it's seriously okay for someone to unironically like something bad for completely sincere reasons.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Read the collected tweets. They are a dozen or so pages back. It’s different then “we disagree with your opinion on the movie” also I didn’t agree fully with the rlm video about Tlj but I don’t view it as some conservative attack on progressive values like a bunch of people did.

oh word? i missed those and can't find em here in the thread

fwiw you could be right and I think that it's a shame that where one stands on TLJ seems to be a political ideology on the internet now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sexpig by night posted:

can we just worldfilter RLM to The Most Holy Prophet or something so it looks less weird when people spend pages going 'you don't like RLM's new video? My god you must be sick in the head'?

Maybe trying being less like a child it might help you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hbomb has liked the prequels since long before Star Wars became a major battleline in the culture war. In this very thread well before he was even posting analytical videos to youtube and his entire output consisting of playing family guy guys and hitman, he was defending the prequels. Like it's seriously okay for someone to unironically like something bad for completely sincere reasons.

Ok I think I miss read something earlier. I mean the last Jedi comments not the prequels. He can like them if he wants. Anyone can. I have a soft spot for 1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Either way saying someone liked or disliked a movie for motives that imply they are fake is really weird. Maybe people actually think the prequels are bad/good.

The fact anytime RLM gets brought up it turns into a weird slapfight were people don’t even engage the content but try desperately to dunk on them is sad.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Best of the Worst is good

Wheel of the Worst is very good

You know what the next page of posts is gonna be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Either way saying someone liked or disliked a movie for motives that imply they are fake is really weird. Maybe people actually think the prequels are bad/good.

The fact anytime RLM gets brought up it turns into a weird slapfight were people don’t even engage the content but try desperately to dunk on them is sad.

The content is bad. For instance, re: the prequel videos:

- The opening exercise of describing OT characters and PT characters is heavily biased towards the demographics of people in the videos and also the pop culture saturation of the OT; describing PT characters with the same kind of easy trope-y shorthand is just as easy as it is with the OT (also even if you couldn't, and they were "right" about that point, it wouldn't make the movie bad)

Here in the Internet Personality + Review thread i believe it is right and correct to say that their reviews are bad criticism

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

oh word? i missed those and can't find em here in the thread

fwiw you could be right and I think that it's a shame that where one stands on TLJ seems to be a political ideology on the internet now

After doing a bit of back digging, I ?think? these are the ones referenced. The only post of a bunch anyway, was in the RLM thread, not here, so easy to miss seing they're only in quotes :v:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Pre-Disney, I thought RLM helped "end" the conversation about Star Wars. Like, I wouldn't mind if nobody ever talked about Star Wars ever again after its ROTS review. And nerdom moved on.

I barely want to talk about Star Wars now, and it's loving culture war flashpoint. Ugh.

Anyway, the worst prequel defense is the revisionism. The fiction that people loved them until RLM came along.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

The content is bad. For instance, re: the prequel videos:

- The opening exercise of describing OT characters and PT characters is heavily biased towards the demographics of people in the videos and also the pop culture saturation of the OT; describing PT characters with the same kind of easy trope-y shorthand is just as easy as it is with the OT (also even if you couldn't, and they were "right" about that point, it wouldn't make the movie bad)

Here in the Internet Personality + Review thread i believe it is right and correct to say that their reviews are bad criticism

That’s the weirdest one to pick as they are correct, you honestly can’t get much character from any of the episode one characters. Some of their complaints are nitpicks and you probably should have gone more towards the anakin padme thing as that started weird.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 13, 2018

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s the weirdest one to pick as they are correct, you honestly can’t get much character from any of the episode one characters.

they're not correct tho?

and yes, you can?

Echo Chamber posted:

Anyway, the worst prequel defense is the revisionism. The fiction that people loved them until RLM came along.

this is not a fiction. the opposite is the fiction.

simon pegg is a shithead here, he's yelling at a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4TX6x2WLgk

spaced was made in 1999

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 13, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

they're not correct tho?

and yes, you can?

Ooh, let me try:

But, u rong tho?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

they're not correct tho?

and yes, you can?

I mean not really, it gets a little better in two but honestly only Anikin has a real character.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

Ooh, let me try:

But, u rong tho?

I mean what else can I say aside from, "i disagree?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait are you arguing people loved the prequels when they came out, because regardless of how you feel about the movie that is objectively not true.

It also doesn’t really matter.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait are you arguing people loved the prequels when they came out, because regardless of how you feel about the movie that is objectively not true.

they clearly did?

have you met:

- children
- critics
- offline people

whoever this nobody is

Roger Ebert posted:

What he does have, in abundance, is exhilaration. There is a sense of discovery in scene after scene of "The Phantom Menace," as he tries out new effects and ideas, and seamlessly integrates real characters and digital ones, real landscapes and imaginary places. We are standing at the threshold of a new age of epic cinema, I think, in which digital techniques mean that budgets will no longer limit the scope of scenes; filmmakers will be able to show us just about anything they can imagine.

As surely as Anakin Skywalker points the way into the future of "Star Wars," so does "The Phantom Menace" raise the curtain on this new freedom for filmmakers. And it's a lot of fun. The film has correctly been given the PG rating; it's suitable for younger viewers and doesn't depend on violence for its effects. As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day.

go offline sometimes OP

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I personally find figuring out whether or not a person is voicing an opinion in good faith very useful.

Someone conjuring an entire narrative to posture an opinion is something that lets me know there really isn't much worth talking about.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I felt like Qui-gon Jinn was a legitimately good prequel character. Someone trying to do right by his personal moral compass while the galaxy around him imploded and the folks that he both respected and mentored failed him. Helped that Liam Neeson put in a good performance.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

I personally find figuring out whether or not a person is voicing an opinion in good faith very useful.

Someone conjuring an entire narrative to posture an opinion is something that lets me know there really isn't much worth talking about.

it's unreal to me that online people are so flummoxed by people talking about the prequels that they think it's an elaborate fiction, or trolling

the popular narrative does not always reflect the reality. for instance, this review of ANH reflected a popular opinion in 1977 that fell out of fashion over time

Variety's review of ANH in 1977 posted:

And then there is that distressing thing called the Force, which is not a flat-footed allusion to New York’s finest but Lucas’s tribute to something beyond science: imagination, the soul, God in man. It is what Ben Kenobi passes on to Luke, making the receiver invulnerable, though it hardly protected the giver’s skin. It appears in various contradictory and finally nonsensical guises, a facile and perfunctory bow to metaphysics. I wish that Lucas had had the courage of his materialistic convictions, instead dragging in a sop to a spiritual force the main thrust of the movie so cheerfully ignores. Still, Star Wars will do very nicely for those lucky enough to be children or unlucky enough never to have grown up.

Here's the WSJ's take on ANH

Wall Street Journal in 1977 posted:

There's something depressing about seeing all these impressive cinematic gifts and all this extraordinary technological skills lavished on such puerile materials. Perhaps more important is what this seems to accomplish: the canonization of comic book culture which in turn becomes the triumph of the standardized, the simplistic, mass-produced commercial artifacts of our time. It's the triumph of camp; that sentiment which takes delight in the awful simply because it's awful.

We enjoyed such stuff as children, but one would think there would come a time when we might put away childish things. Our culture seems to revel in the familiar and wallow nostalgically in the past. Critic Dwight MacDonald once noted that Peter Pan might be a better symbol for America than Uncle Sam. He has never seemed so right.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I forgot hbomberguy was a goon lmao

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Waffles wins arguments by assuming that everyone argues in bad faith at all times. Mainly by assuming that everyone who is talking in this thread now wasn't a literal child when the prequels came out. Like maybe my memory is incredibly faulty, but pretty much everyone turned on the prequels not when the RLM reviews came out years later, but when Attack of the Clones came out and was super boring, and right on the heels of another much better "event" movie in Lord of the Rings.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Waffles wins arguments by assuming that everyone argues in bad faith at all times. Mainly by assuming that everyone who is talking in this thread now wasn't a literal child when the prequels came out. Like maybe my memory is incredibly faulty, but pretty much everyone turned on the prequels not when the RLM reviews came out years later, but when Attack of the Clones came out and was super boring, and right on the heels of another much better "event" movie in Lord of the Rings.

maybe online people "turned" on AOTC but let's look at two sets of reviews and see if we can determine which set belongs to TPM and which belongs to AOTC

my point is not that I think everyone is arguing in bad faith, but that what actually happened fell down some sort of meme-inspired memory hole

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantom Menace was the first Star wars I could actually follow properly since I was too young to read the subtitles fast enough with the older ones.

i did not like it

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I remember there was a taint of desperation as each subsequent one came out and where everyone was hoping it wouldn't be as terrible as the last.

I was 23 and when Episode 1 came out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I liked them when they came out because I was 10 and I had no real barometer of quality. When I grew up I started slowly realizing they weren’t as good as young me thought. This was before rlm and all that. Do I dislike them as much as rlm, no, because I have good memories associated with them like seeing them with parents and my best friend. But I still personally think they are bad loving movies.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oh are we doing this now too?

I was 11 and I loved it

my cousins who i saw it with were 9, 11 an 13 and they loved it too

my 13 year old sister liked it

my dad did not like it

my aunt and uncle did not like it

my mom did

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hey maybe instead of making up stories about the motives of people we disagree with we instead talk about literally anything but this stupid argument again.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the phantom menace of the phantom menace discourse