Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

StealthArcher posted:

After doing a bit of back digging, I ?think? these are the ones referenced. The only post of a bunch anyway, was in the RLM thread, not here, so easy to miss seing they're only in quotes :v:

Lol, some of those are loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

People forgot it was for kids or something (myself included). If you look at them purely through the lens of kids movies then you don't mind that they are horrible movies because they're for kids. If you're not a kid then you won't like them. Kinda like all the people who like the DCU movies because they like the crappy cartoons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
e: nvm

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

maybe online people "turned" on AOTC but let's look at two sets of reviews and see if we can determine which set belongs to TPM and which belongs to AOTC

my point is not that I think everyone is arguing in bad faith, but that what actually happened fell down some sort of meme-inspired memory hole
The second one's from ATOC because that's when all the critics that are recognizable fall off your list of good reviews.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

edit: fucckkkcck ittttttt

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey nerds, real topic!

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_pekkpu7gyb1wht5pd_480.mp4

Why the gently caress is Cinema Sins so loving dumb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG62i3yv9AE&feature=youtu.be

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

:wtc:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I can respect a lot of what the prequels tried to do. Flesh out a wider galaxy and actual politics that set up the crash and the setting of 4-7. Make the jedi into a part of a living sci-fi universe. Show how the dark side worked when it was the underdog. Young Obi-wan was nice and cool, even if it feels they forgot to give him much a personality other than 'kind and dutiful'.

But the execution is often just....misguided, or plain bad. I'm not pretending the original was flawless, but it had a good flow and characters that didn't read their own motivation blurb directly to you (that often). They rarely breathe and feel organic, especially when they are just revisiting ground from 4-7. It's chained down to the idea of becoming massively epic and justifying itself.

The midi-chlorians thing was a weird dud that both lessened the mystery of the Force (turns out it's like having sickle cell anemia!) and served no other purpose. was it to show that the Order had become stagnant and locked into simplistic measurements of worth? If so, it failed because Anakin didn't turn bad from excess midichlorians or misjudged worth (he was the Chosen One in the end, after all), but because he failed at basic human maturing (in which case the Order failed him in a whole different, unexplored way).

Plots feel either silly and lame or overcomplicated to the point of absurdity, like a tabletop RPG DM trying to make his campaign feel waaay more clever than it actually is. Um, no, you see, this villain was not the -real- villain, only a pawn! He was set up to fall all along, because who cares about losing a former Jedi Master turned a political warlord? (Dooku was just so weird. So it's hell if you have a squeeze on the side but you can basically quit the Jedi Order to do a Nigel Farage campaign of hate around the galaxy?).

But all that ground's been covered to death.

I find I can rewatch nearly all of RLM's stuff and be amused, but the Plinkett stuff has a shorter shelf life. Hell, I still haven't watched the TLJ one because it's long and I'm afraid of cringy edgelord stuff in it (I liked Last Jedi a lot, and I'm a wuss). But I can relate to most of their concerns, and understand that sometimes to make comedy you have to blow up even small things for effect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy gently caress enough about Star Wars already

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jenny's Beastly video is outstanding. The Wii game clips belong in a museum.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do feel it’s weird Hbomberguy hates RLM as I have watched his videos on shows and from a critical point of view the styles are basically the same. From what they critic to how they do it.

I'm going to expand that a bit. I feel like the entire field of internet criticism today owes a massive and really obvious debt to the Plinkett reviews in a huge amount of ways in terms of things like humor and style of the critique. Whenever I watch Lindsay Ellis's recent work there's all this little stuff like the way she divides up her points or takes certain weird scenes out of context and keeps replaying them at random points until they get stripped of any meaning for comedic effect, think 'why does it hurt so much? Because it was real' or 'See how I glitter!' and its basically the same thing as something like 'Part-time!' from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The funnier part is that I think a lot of people who do this would be loathe to admit that they are taking cues from RLM.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 13, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Impressive voice acting. I hate it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I was a kid when phantom menace and attack of the clones came out

When I saw aotc with my dad and my brother, my dad literally rage quit the movie half way through and walked out and told us he was gonna hang out around the mall instead and to call him when the movie was over since he hated it. This when I knew this movie probably loving sucked but didn’t understand why since I was still very young lol

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

they clearly did?

have you met:

- children
- critics
- offline people

whoever this nobody is

go offline sometimes OP

People liked loving Crash when it came out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

khwarezm posted:

I'm going to expand that a bit. I feel like the entire field of internet criticism today owes a massive and really obvious debt to the Plinkett reviews in a huge amount of ways in terms of things like humor and style of the critique. Whenever I watch Lindsay Ellis's recent work there's all this little stuff like the way she divides up her points or takes certain weird scenes out of context and keeps replaying them at random points until they get stripped of any meaning for comedic effect, think 'why does it hurt so much? Because it was real' or 'See how I glitter!' and its basically the same thing as something like 'Part-time!' from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The funnier part is that I think a lot of people how do would be loathe to admit that they are taking cues from RLM.

um he said it lacked substance as criticism but was presented well so saying “but you take cues from their presentation :smug:” doesn’t really work as a response?

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 13, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Augus posted:

but he explicitly made a destinction between RLM’s substance as criticism and their presentation so no this doesn’t really work at all?

You should probably read a post before responding.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

RLM is just a derivation of pop up video which itself borrows heavily from that show about the robots watching b-movies. I'm not sure giving them credit for all youtube critques is fair.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

khwarezm posted:

You should probably read a post before responding.

I did

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This like, has to be a joke right? Like an intentionally bad read.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

The funnier part is that I think a lot of people who do this would be loathe to admit that they are taking cues from RLM.

Yeah, they reinvented the game. You can make good criticism plus have weird joke stuff. Plus they are actually funny in general. A lot of good critics like you said borrowed a ton of stuff from them.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

RLM is just a derivation of pop up video which itself borrows heavily from that show about the robots watching b-movies. I'm not sure giving them credit for all youtube critques is fair.

That’s most online critics though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Not really, truth be told Nostalgia Critic was borrowing way more heavily from MST3K and he was probably the main influence on internet comedy review stuff before RLM came along with the Plinkett reviews (I hope that doesn't come across as making GBS threads on MST3K, I'm not the biggest fan of the show but its terrible to even mention it in the same sentence as Nostalgia Critic). It's kind of obvious that there's a difference between something like Ellis, who takes a scalpel to something like Beauty and the Beast and in my opinion is closer to what the Plinkett reviews are, compared to, say, SFdebris or Allison Pregler's Baywatch reviews, which are just poking at silly stuff in individual TV episodes but mostly are there for the jokes rather than in-depth analysis. Before RLM it felt like a lot of online review content was taking cues mostly from either Nostalgia Critic or Angry Video Game Nerd and the kinds of things like MST3K that influenced them and it think, especially in the first couple of years after the first Plinkett review, it was very clear that people were starting to be much more in-depth about their analysis and took very obvious influence from RLM.

Just to show that I'll link two earlier videos from 2 gaming critics I really like which are really, really obviously taking stylistic and structural cues from RLM, even down to the specific type of humor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVFrAsxjxLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

They've both expanded and moved on to become more of their own thing but the influence of RLM was clearly massive.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 13, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Are we going to get mad at Lindsay ellis

Her only star wars video was to criticize how ill defined the first order is in the Disney movies. I suspect she does not like star wars.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not every opinion has to be based on Star Wars

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I was right

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Are we going to get mad at Lindsay ellis

Her only star wars video was to criticize how ill defined the first order is in the Disney movies. I suspect she does not like star wars.

This is actually my biggest criticism of the new films. It's a hump I can't get over. The state of the universe is so ill-defined I have no idea what's going on or why the resistance is doing what they're doing. It worked when Star Wars was an unknown quantity, when there was no established anything. But since it takes place after those events and includes those old heroes, you're left wondering what the heck happened.

It's frustrating.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

One of the most notable things I remember from the really initial coverage of The Phantom Menace was a Op-ED piece, written like just barely a few days after the movie release admonishing the reaction to Jar Jar Binks on how since he brought a lot of joy to a lot of children. Nowadays a similar piece would have been far more vitrolic and more "I actually enjoy eating garbage, this garbage is good, shut up" than "Why are you bringing harm to this thing for children".

Zedd posted:

Nah, really good impersonator.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am so excited to watch this but can’t until after work. Everyone said how much that movie needed an autopsy and now we’re going to see one.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jimbot posted:

This is actually my biggest criticism of the new films. It's a hump I can't get over. The state of the universe is so ill-defined I have no idea what's going on or why the resistance is doing what they're doing. It worked when Star Wars was an unknown quantity, when there was no established anything. But since it takes place after those events and includes those old heroes, you're left wondering what the heck happened.

It's frustrating.

Holly hell, this. Would have been so easy to fix, too. A one-minute conversation between Han Solo and Rey or Finn could have at least given us something.

But no, here, massive totalitarian infinite evil army with megaweapons that dwarf a 20-year-established galaxy-wide empire outta nowhere!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE

I've always referred to this scene when people say that explaining the universe of the sequel trilogy a bit more clearly would be 'too boring'.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

khwarezm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE

I've always referred to this scene when people say that explaining the universe of the sequel trilogy a bit more clearly would be 'too boring'.

for what it's worth, this scene is also longer than any talk about trade routes that happens in TPM

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

business hammocks posted:

Oh yeah, check out his failed 70s pilot Genesis II, where the heroes have to infiltrate a BDSM dungeon that the villains use to make people into their slaves:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_II_(film)

And check out his failed 70s pilot Planet Earth, where John Saxon has to infiltrate a fiendish matriarchal society where a young(er) Dr. Pulaski from TNG is head dominatrix and tortures helpless men into becoming her slaves. Also, the plot summary on the back of the dvd case literally calls her a dominatrix, so:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(film)

Also John Saxon saves the day by loving her so good that she decides men are her equal.

Science fiction and super-pervy weird stuff didn’t really decouple until the internet had been around for a while.

Sci-fi congoers weren't mad at furries for introducing sex to fandom, they were mad at them doing it without providing the thinnest veneer of justification for it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbot posted:

It's frustrating.

That’s a feature, not a bug. Leave holes in the basic structure of the film and fans can fill them in with all the their franchise related knowledge. The fans can build a movie especially for them in their own head.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Sephyr posted:

Holly hell, this. Would have been so easy to fix, too. A one-minute conversation between Han Solo and Rey or Finn could have at least given us something.

But no, here, massive totalitarian infinite evil army with megaweapons that dwarf a 20-year-established galaxy-wide empire outta nowhere!

Eh relying on comics and pulp paperback novels to fill in the gaps like that has been Star Wars's MO since before the first film came out.

The first EU novels used old drafts of the scripts. And some of the old comics wear 70s sci fi weirdness on their sleeves. But if you wanted to know how that Senate actually worked or who wqs paying for the Star Destoyer fleets or how the Rebellion* got off the ground they're were you need to look.

The Aftermath books and that Bloodlines book about Leia do the work of explaining the First Order if you're really curious.

There pretty fun reads if not flawless, too.

*or you could just play the Force Unleashed games and call that one a day.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
When's the chess match?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bar Crow posted:

That’s a feature, not a bug. Leave holes in the basic structure of the film and fans can fill them in with all the their franchise related knowledge. The fans can build a movie especially for them in their own head.

That's just Abrams mystery box junk. Instead of fleshing out a world, they just keep asking questions and tease at things to the point where it's just so unsatisfactory. Granted, there is fun in leaving some things open to the imagination but not at the expense of vital world-building that directly effects the story you're trying to tell.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hbomb is right about Plinkett. RLM is still good though, especially Best of the Worst.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hbomb is right about Plinkett. RLM is still good though, especially Best of the Worst.

thats a funny way of saying wheel of the worst.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats a funny way of saying wheel of the worst.

I count the Wheel as part of the Best of the Worst. Wheel episodes are really uneven, with some being amazingly good and some being so-so.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I count the Wheel as part of the Best of the Worst. Wheel episodes are really uneven, with some being amazingly good and some being so-so.

i feel the same about best of worst more then wheel. some of the movies spark some interesting conversations and poo poo. like the one with the alien that lives in molester ville followed by that dinosaur egg thing by lynch.

the one that always makes me laugh is the "how to get revenge" video because the Private dick looks/sorta sounds like my criminal justice/ homeland security professor.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Zedd posted:

It’s a scarily accurate impression.