Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
There's a fish restaurant right at the olympic harbour in the first building on the right wuen you get there. Had the set lunch there which was great and inexpensive. For 10.95 per/person we got a starter, main, desert and a drink. Cheaper and better than in downtown joints.

And there is a fun Tikki Bar on Diagonal called Kahala, good drinks.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
if you're in Alaska, I had great halibut fish and chips from Alava's in Ketchikan which is a family owned shop, it's close to the docks where the Cruise ships are. And the best tacos I've ever had from Deckhand Dave's in Juneau, and I've lived in Texas too. Battered halibut, breaded salmon, rockfish. The key was their sauces that just hit me and surprised me at how delicious they were and the fish was ultra fresh. Their loaded fries, their fish tacos, the Alaskan Amber or Summer Ale, and the view of the mountains is pretty awesome.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Nephzinho posted:

Going to Barca in like two weeks and I kind of forgot to actually plan anything. We're staying in the gothic quarter and are pretty much planning on walking over to the beach and whatnot any given day. Any favorite places to check out for food?

e; I have SB figured out, just haven't gotten to Barca yet.

There’s a bunch of good empanadas places if you’re looking for a quick cheap meal. This one is quite good: http://empanadasrekons.com/home.php

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Nephzinho posted:

Going to Barca in like two weeks and I kind of forgot to actually plan anything. We're staying in the gothic quarter and are pretty much planning on walking over to the beach and whatnot any given day. Any favorite places to check out for food?

e; I have SB figured out, just haven't gotten to Barca yet.

If you're looking for higher end, Pakta is really, really good nikei cuisine. Same restaurant group as Tickets.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I am looking for a few higher end places. We were able to get our flights on rewards and part of our accommodations are being provided by family, so our food budget is pretty much as much as we can keep a straight face for.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

Nephzinho posted:

I am looking for a few higher end places. We were able to get our flights on rewards and part of our accommodations are being provided by family, so our food budget is pretty much as much as we can keep a straight face for.

Disfrutar was a lot of fun, and reasonably priced for a higher end joint.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Las Vegas probably deserves it's own thread, but anyway, I'll be in Boulder City for 4 days in September. Where should I go in Henderson or Vegas? Places with decent vegetarian selections, please

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Um, if anyone has anything for Edmonton, by all means, share (nothing too fine-ish; I'll be there solo on business)

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Happiness Commando posted:

Las Vegas probably deserves it's own thread, but anyway, I'll be in Boulder City for 4 days in September. Where should I go in Henderson or Vegas? Places with decent vegetarian selections, please

Makers & Finders was probably the best meal I had in Vegas, they had a tres leches waffle that was seriously one of the best waffles I've ever had. Lotus of Siam was good but overhyped IMHO. Eat was kinda the same. Momofuku was rad as was the Milk Bar. We didn't have a chance to check it out but our AirBnB hosts recommended the Bruxie Chicken & Waffles place (not sure how their veg options would be).

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

For whatever reason my girlfriend and I decided to book a week vacation in Toronto next week. Sort of regretting not choosing Montreal instead, but that's besides the point -- Given that one of us is a vegetarian, what are some good suitable places to eat at?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

emotive posted:

For whatever reason my girlfriend and I decided to book a week vacation in Toronto next week. Sort of regretting not choosing Montreal instead, but that's besides the point -- Given that one of us is a vegetarian, what are some good suitable places to eat at?

Banh Mi Boys.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

emotive posted:

Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot.

The wife and I had a 10 day trip to Toronto last year. I'm vegetarian, she isn't. We put together a map of stuff we wanted to eat while we were there. Green was 'go out of our way to eat', yellow was 'eat if relatively close by', and blue was 'maybe check out if nothing else looks great'.

Here's the map! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GXJOmyElYAghzfZA2gpFC5K2dDI&usp=sharing

angor fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 19, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

angor posted:

Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot. Woodlot.

The wife and I had a 10 day trip to Toronto last year. I'm vegetarian, she isn't. We put together a map of stuff we wanted to eat while we were there. Green was 'go out of our way to eat', yellow was 'eat if relatively close by', and blue was 'maybe check out if nothing else looks great'.

Here's the map! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GXJOmyElYAghzfZA2gpFC5K2dDI&usp=sharing

drat, Woodlot's menu looks amazing -- this is helpful, thanks!

BigDumbWhale
Apr 24, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

Um, if anyone has anything for Edmonton, by all means, share (nothing too fine-ish; I'll be there solo on business)

Depends where you're staying. Most of our good stuff is downtown/central especially around Whyte Ave.

I'd recommend Three Boars for a more casual small plates/bar menu or their sister restaurant Wishbone, Pip for brunch and dinner, Bar Bricco and Uccelino for great Italian food, Dorinku for a great izakaya, Bundok or Baiju for something more new and cheffy. There are a ton of great places to eat here now.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Happiness Commando posted:

As was said before, Makers and Finders is really good, was just there this morning myself. The new VegeNation in Henderson is pretty good. By September there will be more spots open, stuff is really bustling along here for food and drink.

A helpful map for all things Vegan Las Vegas - https://www.vegansbaby.com/first-page-map/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I could use some Vegas recommendations as well. I got some good recs from the thread last year but the two places I enjoyed most, Due Forni and Chada Street, seem to have both shut down. I have no preferences wrt to cuisine and I'm open to breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

BigDumbWhale posted:

Depends where you're staying. Most of our good stuff is downtown/central especially around Whyte Ave.

I'd recommend Three Boars for a more casual small plates/bar menu or their sister restaurant Wishbone, Pip for brunch and dinner, Bar Bricco and Uccelino for great Italian food, Dorinku for a great izakaya, Bundok or Baiju for something more new and cheffy. There are a ton of great places to eat here now.

Thanks — sorry I missed this. I had a Nando's three blocks from my hotel, though, and after a long-rear end day that's exactly what I wanted/needed :)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anything good in Daytona?

e: Jesus there was nothing good in Daytona, in general

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 3, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm spending the weekend in London and am way more excited than I should be to grab a bite at Dishoom.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'll be dinking around in New Zealand in September with my wife. I like hole in the wall places. Seafood is good.
I'll be in Auckland, Rotoura, Wellington, Nelson, and Christchurch.

Is there New Zealand food, or is it more like Australia where you get a lot of good stuff from other countries?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Four days into my trip in San Sebastian and the "eat anywhere" advice is spot on. I think there has been one place we haven't loved, several we have gone back to, and a growing Google map starred list with notes for all of the friends and family we send here after this.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

You really can't go wrong in San Sebastian. Just make sure you get churros and chocolate at Santa Lucia in the Parte Vieja. Possibly the best breakfast I've ever had.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Laocius posted:

You really can't go wrong in San Sebastian. Just make sure you get churros and chocolate at Santa Lucia in the Parte Vieja. Possibly the best breakfast I've ever had.

I had to drag people there kicking and screaming because it is the dirtiest/dingiest place we have seen, but I see it moderately crowded by locals every morning and assumed that was a sign.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

Anything good in Daytona?

e: Jesus there was nothing good in Daytona, in general

I was going to say this but did not want to poo poo on your trip beforehand. Outside of the beach and the speedway it is a boring rear end town.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What's good in the central jersey area? New brunswick-ish. Mostly looking for places with patios that I can take my dog, or places with bar games (pool, darts, ect) would be excellent. From google, I'm only seeing little neighborhood 3 tap joints, or college places with jaegerbomb shots featured promenently.

Also just the best restaurants in general.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Kind of a specific question: is there any really good dim-sum places in Boston?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

TheCog posted:

Kind of a specific question: is there any really good dim-sum places in Boston?

I've been to Hei La Moon and they were fine. I can't say that they're "really good", mostly because I've not ever been to a place that is well established as "really good", but it met the passing-through-Boston-and-wanting-dim-sum requirements well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I ended up getting tables at Hisop and Pakta, was unable to get a table at Tickets (though I'm on the waitlist for Saturday). I'm half excited, but I also feel like San Sebastian kind of ruined food for me for a bit. I'm literally planning on having soda and junk food for a few days when I get home just to snap out of it (while recruiting friends for my next trip to San Sebastian that I am already planning).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Going to be in Ronda, Spain from Sept 5-11. Any awesome tapas places/bars? Maybe a semi-fancy restaurant (going for a music festival so I'm not going to pack anything formal for just one meal).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Heading to Ireland for the next two weeks. Any places I shouldn't miss while in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Derry, and Belfast? Nothing too fancy, since I'm just travelling on my own, but some ideas on where to find local curiosities would be much appreciated.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I spend 2-3 weeks every year in Galway for work. Pickings are a little slim, but getting better.

The Dough Bros. - Legit good Neapolitan pizza place. Very casual. Great owners too. Started as a food truck, went brick and mortar, then had to majorly expand because they got so popular. Quality has not suffered.

McDonaghs - Probably the best fish and chips in Ireland. The right half of the restaurant is sit down table service, left half is a walkup counter with plenty of seating. I probably eat here more than anywhere else.

The Galmont Hotel - Probably the best breakfast in Galway. A lot of people that eat there are staying at the hotel, but tons of locals still go drop 20 Euros to eat the breakfast buffet. Has all of the Full Irish Breakfast essentials. Back bacon, black and white puddings, roasted tomatoes, potatoes, beans, mushrooms. SUPER good. There are two other really good hotels in Galway and I always stay here because the breakfast is so freaking good.

Charcoal Grill - Passable kebab fare that becomes transcendentally good after 1am with friends after the pub.

Freeney's - My favorite old man pub. Great pints. A constant murmur of people, but stays quiet enough for easy conversation. Sells high end bottles of whisky during the day, for better prices than Celtic Whisky Shop in Dublin.

Eastern Tandoori - Slightly fancier, but no dress code or stodginess. Best Indian food I have found out there.

Wildes on the Bay - Good seafood place with a bistro feel.

Supermacs - Local Irish version of McDonald's. Most of it is identical to McD's, but I can't make a trip out to Galway without a large order of chips with curry sauce, garlic sauce and cheese. It sounds terrible, and is, but in the absolute best way possible.

If you only go to 3 places in Galway, full Irish at the Galmont, Dough Bros. and McDonagh's are the clear winners.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Looks like the New Orleans thread is archived!

Heading that way for the first time towards the end of October for a conference. My dinners should be relatively free, staying at the Cambria in the Warehouse District. I'm a vegetarian which throws a wrench in the works but need recommendations for good eating! Don't mind jumping in an Uber for a good meal.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
We're headed to Chicago for a few days next month for our 10-year wedding anniversary. We're doing Goosefoot for one of the nights, and probably some as-yet-undecided deep-dish pizza joint on one of the others. Can anyone suggest a relatively low-mid priced option for our last dinner in town?

Bonus points for anything that isn't a steakhouse or Italian. Extra-bonus points for it being relatively quiet and accepting reservations.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

angor posted:

Looks like the New Orleans thread is archived!

Heading that way for the first time towards the end of October for a conference. My dinners should be relatively free, staying at the Cambria in the Warehouse District. I'm a vegetarian which throws a wrench in the works but need recommendations for good eating! Don't mind jumping in an Uber for a good meal.

I got a whole list of places to go check out so if you want more, let me know.

Around the Cambria:
Barcadia is a fun place to chill if you're a nerd
Peche Seafood Grill
Mother's
Mulate's

Little bit more outside that area:
Buttermilk Drop & La Boulangerie for bakeries
Dooky Chase, Mandina's, Felix's Oyster Bar, Crabby Jack's, Salvo's Seafood, Mahoney's Po' Boy Shop are all good staples

If you get tired of creole/seafood:
Dong Phuong Oriental Bakery
SukhoThai
Humble Bagel
Pizza Domenica
Blue Dot Donuts
The Company Burger
Dat Dog

For more bar/music type deals:
Vaughan's Lounge
Spotted Cat Music Club
Preservation Hall
Carousel Bar
Twelve Mile Limit
Cure
The Other Bar
Snake & Jake's

And I always stop into Siberia Lounge to have my ear drums burst while munching on delicious pierogies and sausages.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Let's enter the land of make believe where I am in Latvia (Riga), Finland (Helsinki) and Sweden (Stockholm) for a whirlwind tour of warehouses and factories.

I will have hosts for a decent part of the trip, but I will be on my own also.

What's available on a reasonable business meal budget assuming I am willing to sponsor something over my $50~ish per diem??

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Amergin posted:

I got a whole list of places to go check out so if you want more, let me know.

This is such an awesome list, thank you for putting this together! Some of these places I wouldn't be able to eat anything at (looking at you, Mulate's), but solid, solid looking recs.

My trip is Oct 22-25. Will report back.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doom Rooster posted:

I spend 2-3 weeks every year in Galway for work. Pickings are a little slim, but getting better.

Thanks for the recommendations! I really enjoyed both Dough Bros and McDonaghs. I couldn't decide between their posh pepperoni and tandoori, so they gave me a pizza that was half-and-half. And McDonaghs really was the best fish and chips I've had on this island so far -- which is considerable for one week. I only wish I hadn't forgotten my umbrella there.

I checked out Freeney's, but I preferred Garavan's because of the whiskey selection (including the whiskey platters). Also unfortunately, I arrived too late for the Galmont's breakfast.

I still have time to check out Supermac's, but it'll have to be somewhere else.

Galway in general was great. I spent only two nights there, but I really loved it being a small walkable city. I mean, I can only compare it to Cork, but I enjoyed myself a lot there in comparison.

Here's hoping Belfast within the next 3 days can top it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I am going to Paris from October 23-29. Any recommended things to hit up? Any tourist advice? Anything I can do to cause an international incident?

Do I need to make arrangements far in advance to see the following:
- The Arc Of Triumph
- The Louver Museum
- The Museum De Orsay
- The Paris Tower

Any restaurants in Paris to hit up?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 9, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I am going to Paris from October 23-29. Any recommended things to hit up? Any tourist advice? Anything I can do to cause an international incident?

Do I need to make arrangements far in advance to see the following:
- The Arc Of Triumph
- The Louver Museum
- The Museum De Orsay

I did three 3 in Paris some years ago and no sort of advance arrangements were required. You might need to if you want a guided tour of the museums, but to show up and wander around there's not really much to pre-arrange. I'd also recommend the Rodin Museum if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I did Paris last summer and didn't make plans anywhere for touring, didn't have any trouble. As for food, off the top of my head:

L'as du Fallafel is amazing, my wife has repeatedly tried to make daytrips into Paris from London just to come here for lunch.
Chez Janou was one of my favorite places we went to despite not actually remembering what I ate. Cozy local joint, if you don't speak French they will sit you in an out of sight corner. Think we had like a 4 hour dinner here? The mousse was probably the best of the trip.
Ambassade d'Auvergne was one of those meals I wish I was better prepared for just because of the sheer amount of food put in front of you. They are most known for their aligot, which are just cheesy potatoes, but are very very good.
Berthillon Glacier is a good place to grab ice cream while walking around, after they close they usually have a street facing window where you can order.
The Bar At the End of the World is a cool place to grab a drink, they've got nerdy poo poo all over the place and cocktails to theme. I think they had food but wouldn't bother. I was there during a particularly bad heat wave so this place was packed and we didn't get to really take in some of the random poo poo they had on display.