Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm sorry in advance.

If I had to buy\play a Farcry out of 3,4,5 which one?

I don't mind the theme park style open world. Judging from what I've heard, story is terrible for all 3 so.. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm sorry in advance.

I don't mind the theme park style open world. Judging from what I've heard, story is terrible for all 3 so.. :shrug:

Having only played Far Cry 3 and 5, I would recommend... Far Cry 4.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm sorry in advance.

Far Cry 3 is fun with Ziggy's mod. It's basically a mod that makes the game harder and smooths out progression. As far as I know, no such mod exists for 4 and 5, neither of which I have played.

I also really enjoyed Far Cry Primal, just putting that out there. I didn't beat it though because I suck at beating games.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 13, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you never played a Far Cry game, just be aware it's basically a go here collect 3 of this item and go here, go here kill whatever go here, go here collect this and that, etc. It's like any basic MMO get fetch quests dumped into a single player game. I played the hell out of Far Cry 4 and enjoyed it mostly until it was just so redundant and samey that it was just boring. I recently picked up (Like 2 week ago) Farcry 3 because I thought I wanted to have a fun gunplay do whatever experience again and as soon as they had me collecting 3 colored plants I just wanted to die and turned it off again. Way too much HUD and colored pointers telling you exactly where to go and all you do is press button and go to the next blinking marker. I honestly don't know how I ever played any of these, they're so brain dead.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 13, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Far Cry 4s story is weirdly good if you end up on the same wavelength as the writers, which isn't guaranteed.

I've been thinking a lot about FC2 lately while playing Mafia 3 because they are both weirdly fully featured half baked takes on a game really being about existing in an open would instead of being a series of set pieces linked by road or being a big map to find widgets on.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm sorry in advance.

I played and enjoyed all 3. The villian in 3 was the most memorable for me.
If you can get 3 or 4 for cheap, maybe do that. If you enjoy them, get 5 on a sale.
I hated the story in all 3, but loved the game play.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm sorry in advance.

3 and if you haven't had enough, Blood Dragon.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Knorth posted:

Megaquarium is out! I had no idea it was so close but it's looking pretty fun
I have never heard about this game, but I loved Zoo Tycoon 1 so color me interested.

Also Lamplight City, the new game made by the dude who designed Shardlight and A Golden Wake is out.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 13, 2018

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm sorry in advance.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone here followed Breathedge? Seems to have released for EA today, but it's the first I've heard of it. Initial reviews seems good, but I was curious if anyone here have some first-hand experience.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm sorry in advance.

As the person who has replayed each Far Cry 3-4 times, and chooses that series as his "trapped on a island pick one game." series, 4.

3 is amazing, but also kinda locked in. The enemies are fairly static, the bases are fairly small, and it wasn't built for replayability. It's a one and done experience, with a lot of filler that ends up being pretty boring. It gets a lot of props here for being the first, and for Vaas. It's main claim to fame against the other two now outside of being first is the Island theme is radically different then what you'll get out of most games.

5 is the best gameplaywise/world wise, but gently caress the story is actively hostile to you. It constantly takes you out of the game, and then browbeats you for enjoying it. And the ending is the worst ending in video games, and retroactively makes the game feel like a waste of time.

4 is the best if you are only going to play 1. Almost as good world building/replayable world as 5, tight combat/tight combat encounters, a cool setting, lots of neat verticality usage, great world, etc etc. Best side quests/side stuff in the series. Also the only story that isn't amateur hour ( though you'll probably end up not enjoying it, it's at least not actively hostile to the player playing the loving game. ).

Secret real answer, Primal. The melee weapons are basically guns anyways once you get enough upgrades ( you eventually can just machine gun spears at people ), the story is probably the most lowkey/best of the games, the world is the most hostile/interesting to work in, and it just plays really well. Siccing a Sabertooth onto some dudes and then standing on the nearby cliff throwing machine gun flaming bee spears at them is a hilarious way to end a lot of encounters. They also actually managed to make the Forts system of 4 work, because they didn't depopulate the Forts as you cleared outposts, so they stayed fairly challenging.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Far Cry 3 is fun with Ziggy's mod. It's basically a mod that makes the game harder and smooths out progression. As far as I know, no such mod exists for 4 and 5, neither of which I have played.

I also really enjoyed Far Cry Primal, just putting that out there. I didn't beat it though because I suck at beating games.

There is this for FC5 which sounds neat, I haven't got to try it just yet, however:

FarCry 5 Redemption
https://www.nexusmods.com/farcry5/mods/23

"Notably this mod changes two major things:

* Alters the flow of Resistance Points (RP) which are awarded as the player moves around the world. In the base game it's FAR too easy to push the resistance bar forward just from freeing hostages and fighting cultists (before you even liberate any outposts or do any story missions). These adjustments will allow you a lot more leeway in just running around the regions doing whatever you feel like until you are ready to move the story forward. 

Specifically RP rewards for fighting the cult are about 1/10th what they previously were. Killing VIP cultists, freeing hostages, blowing up convoy trucks, etc. will net you between 5 - 20 RP per act. Destroying large cult property such as silos or shrines rewards 100 RP and liberating Outposts rewards 400 RP (this is unchanged). Side quests only provide 25-50 RP each. Main story missions rewards are unchanged. 

To fully liberate a region you will need to defeat all the outposts, do all of the main story missions and either destroy all of the silos/shrines/etc OR do all of the side missions and grind one helluva lotta cultists ;)

You should be able to safely play for hours and hours on end in each region without significantly affecting any missions until you are ready to take them on.

* Enables enemy spawns after liberating regions - The game became an empty void after clearing all the regions. This should help in keeping it from being totally free of peggies.

In addition there is a version of the mod which adds the following extra changes:

* Removes the startup videos - You still have to click through the epilepsy warning, etc.

* Improved Bonus for Undetected Outpost Takeover -Liberating an Outpost undetected awards you an additional $1,000 in cash ($2,000 instead of $1,000) AND gives you +1 perk point. There are a very limited amount of outposts and this is both a better incentive for liberating undetected as well as offers a variant perk path you can take if you don't enjoy fishing, hunting, using GFH to get kills, etc. It's a minor boots at best, but I think it's a much better reward than $1000 (which in this game is pretty paltry and you can easily earn that much in 5-10 minutes of play)

* Faster Parachute Deployment - Reduces the time you have to hold the parachute key down to nearly instant. The initial parachute deployment was often delayed by that dman 1 second of holding the key down and was easy to be killed if you weren't sufficiently high enough in the air. You can deploy the parachute from the wingsuit with no delay, but you have this big delay when not using the wingsuit? It just seemed odd. Realistic or not faceplants aren't fun :P"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I say of the last few far cry games 3/4/5 primal/neon whatever just play whichever has the most interesting setting to you because they are all essentially the exact same game

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

In addition to Megaquarium, Lamplight City, and Breathedge, I got an email this morning that Frozen Synapse 2 launches today.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Blood dragon is standalone and cool as hell

4 has a scenery-chewing Troy Baker as the villain and it’s very entertaining. 3 was ok, I’ve never played 5 but you’ve all de-hyped this ending so hard that now I gotta know what the deal is (don’t spoil it)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
^^ :argh:

In more news of Whoa what it's out?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/445020/Frozen_Synapse_2/
Frozen Synapse 2 is finally out Well in one-ish hour

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I say of the last few far cry games 3/4/5 primal/neon whatever just play whichever has the most interesting setting to you because they are all essentially the exact same game

In the same way that they've been making the same assassin's creed over and over, sure.

Farcry 5 is generally going to involve a lot more mayhem; cultists tend to end up accreting, and while the world is pretty well fleshed out, the actual player agency isn't there, and you're inside a pretty conveyor belt. It does, however, have Peaches, which makes up for a lot of poo poo, IMO. Helicopters tend to trivilize a bunch of the collectathons, though.

Farcry 4 was pretty good, but I hated some of the set pieces. I loved Pagan Min, but the whole 'who is really the bad guy' loses a bunch of nuance after you've offed half his army. No so hectic as the more recent offering, but Rhinos and Elephants are fun to watch go a bit mental.

FarCry 3 was pretty much in it's element, but didn't really capitalise after Vas, who was great. The whole 'white saviour' thing was a bit distasteful, but it's a computer game, don't overthink.

However, the best of the lot is Blood Dragon. Great plot, storyline - bit samey on some of the things, but generally a great experience that should have had a follow-up that was just as pulpy.

Croccers posted:

^^ :argh:

In more news of Whoa what it's out?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/445020/Frozen_Synapse_2/
Frozen Synapse 2 is finally out Well in one-ish hour

They should slap a price on that bad boy.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
5 is very polarizing but I had the most fun with it regarding overall gameplay, gunplay, and scenery. If you're playing more for ANY care of the story, however, you might want to go to 4. It has its issues but over all a very great game. Even both DLCs are fun.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played FC5, but FC4 pretty much invalidates FC3 entirely since it's the same game but better in every way*. Some people prefer the latter's island setting, but I definitely thought not-Nepal was by far the most interesting setting of the franchise.

*OK, so it doesn't have a mission where you're burning down a weed farm with a flamethrower while Skrillexx plays, but still.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
FC5 lets you throw a shovel like a javelin and is therefore the obvious choice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Far cry 3 is a really fun videogame before the story devolves into utter loving stupidity and racism, which there is no way to ignore because the cutscenes are unskippable.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I enjoyed 4 more than 3, haven't played 5 yet but people seem pretty split on it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Knorth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4dGMeIEKb0
Megaquarium is out! I had no idea it was so close but it's looking pretty fun
Sold if can I serve fish fingers in the aquarium restaurant.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've played FC3 and BD in 2013 and FC4 in 2016, and I was still bored to death by the end, because of how little was changed / improved.

I also can't emphasize enough just how much worse the story is in FC4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FC 3-4-5 all have idiotic, obtrusive, pointlessly nihilist and vaguely offensive stories, but FC3 is the only one that's entertaining about it

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Quick reminder:

The DLC "Seal the deal" for A Hat in Time is currently available for free for a limited time, so grab it while it lasts.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
3's story was worse than 4 by far. It felt like it was written by a committee of committees, half of whom wanted it to play it straight while the other half wanted to deconstruct it. So it had the worst of both approaches combined.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

FC 3-4-5 all have idiotic, obtrusive, pointlessly nihilist and vaguely offensive stories, but FC3 is the only one that's entertaining about it

And people still overlook Blood Dragon.

ponzicar posted:

3's story was worse than 4 by far. It felt like it was written by a committee of committees, half of whom wanted it to play it straight while the other half wanted to deconstruct it. So it had the worst of both approaches combined.

FarCry was created by a team of many faiths and diverse approaches.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
FC4's story was underdeveloped, and your playable character was a boring nonentity, but I'm not sure what people wanted from the ending. Oh, this bloodthirsty traditionalist/narcotic militia you've been working with are actually a bunch of swell guys after all? :confused:

E: Like, it's not even a twist. The respective leaders make it clear that they're all for child brides or opium production pretty early on.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 13, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:siren:A Hat In Time's DLC is free but only if you download it today.:siren:

It includes a new world and a new hard mode for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Quick reminder:

The DLC "Seal the deal" for A Hat in Time is currently available for free for a limited time, so grab it while it lasts.

SirSamVimes posted:

Thanks, I would have missed that if you hadn't reminded me.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget that Frozen Synapse 2 came out today. A sequel to that really fun tactics game that came out in 2011.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just completed the first real case in Lamplight City and its a great spiritual successor to Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments so far. Just like C&P and Aviary Attorney you can just screw up and accuse the wrong person but apparently its consequences are much more like the latter because reading reviews apparently if you screw up enough you can get locked out of the last case.

I really should get back into reviewing the recent games I've been playing, I definitely need to do Unavowed and this game as well if this keeps up, which it sounds like it does.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 13, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I like how varying the opinions are on which Far Cry has the worst story

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone here followed Breathedge? Seems to have released for EA today, but it's the first I've heard of it. Initial reviews seems good, but I was curious if anyone here have some first-hand experience.

I'm interested, it looks unusual and is fairly cheap.

Edit: Sounds like it might not be very long and is picking up more reviews than you'd expect for a unknown game.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 13, 2018

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

At least we can all agree that Far Cry 1 has the best story.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Far Cry 4 had the best story (though my distaste for 5 has really colored my perception of the series' mean-spirited nihilism as a whole), but while Pagan Min was entertaining, he wasn't a breakthrough character the game depended on entirely like Vaas for 3, which suffered immensely the second he was dispensed with. IMO a lot of people view 3 with rose tinted glasses both because it was first (4 did feel like a massive retread), and because the good parts are more memorable than the bad parts.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

SirSamVimes posted:

It includes a new world and a new hard mode for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1GrvzxQQ

Make sure you actually go to the DLC page and install it. The base game will update automatically, but it won't mean you have the DLC.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

mcbexx posted:

Quick reminder:

Thanks, I hadn't heard of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Far Cry 3 has the worst story, Far Cry 2 is a work of art, they're all worth playing, but which one specifically you should play is a question only you can answer.