Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Email came in:

quote:

I think I may have clicked a bad facebook link on my phone. Could I have my phone scanned for virus?
:allears:

I replied telling them that they can just factory wipe their phone, but does anyone know of legit Android antivirus software? Is Trend Micro any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

New guy at the helpdesk, no troubleshooting, no information in tickets, just "no KB"

no information in the loving tickets.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is Trend Micro any good?

no it mega isn't and if you are ready to laugh, you can read about their recent mistakes:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/apple-takes-down-trend-micro-mac-apps-that-collected-stored-user-data/

here's their response:
https://blog.trendmicro.com/answers-to-your-questions-on-our-mac-apps-store/

all hail The Phone Should Be Wiped

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Holy poo poo I just got a good one.

User's Samsung phone is sending the same emails over and over literally hundreds of times. Recipients are calling her and letting her know that they just received the same email from her about 100 times
I check the outbox and sure enough there they are still stuck in there because attachments are too large. But clearly, the emails were sent.

Another user (confirmed) and possibly a third, just had the exact same problem.

I saved all the emails in the outbox to the drafts folder to clear out the outbox and hopefully that fixes it, but LOL at Samsung's email client making GBS threads the bed and spamming a bunch of people.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy poo poo I just got a good one.

User's Samsung phone is sending the same emails over and over literally hundreds of times. Recipients are calling her and letting her know that they just received the same email from her about 100 times
I check the outbox and sure enough there they are still stuck in there because attachments are too large. But clearly, the emails were sent.

Another user (confirmed) and possibly a third, just had the exact same problem.

I saved all the emails in the outbox to the drafts folder to clear out the outbox and hopefully that fixes it, but LOL at Samsung's email client making GBS threads the bed and spamming a bunch of people.

I had my father manage to do that with Outlook Express like ten or twelve years ago. It couldn't move the email from the outbox to sent mail because his sent mail file was hitting the file size limit of FAT32, so it would just not move it and re-send it every 5 minutes or so. I think Comcast blocked SMTP for suspected spam and shut it down before I was able to help him.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Geemer posted:

Now I wonder if some 2.5" HDDs with modified firmware might work as cubesat reaction wheels.

Probably not, sadly. Reaction wheels need to turn in both directions and be able to start and stop very quickly and precisely. That and cubesat space is so hilarious precious you'd never waste it with a sata drive and associated cruft.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I replied telling them that they can just factory wipe their phone, but does anyone know of legit Android antivirus software? Is Trend Micro any good?

Without root Android apps have very little access to other apps, so I can't really imagine that any antivirus software being sold to the average end user is any good. Basically all it would be able to do is scan files on shared storage and check the installed software against a blacklist, no meaningful heuristics or access to any data the application has placed in its private storage.

Preinstalled software built in to the firmware can get special permissions and should be able to do all the normal antivirus things, but that's up to your OEM and/or carrier.

It is of course technically possible to sell software requiring root which could then do whatever it wanted, but the overlap in the Venn diagram of "users with rooted phones" and "users willing to purchase antivirus software for their phones" has to be incredibly small so I'd be amazed to find there's anyone offering such a thing.

Definitely just factory the thing. That's the nice thing about appliance-type devices, a factory reset fixes almost all software issues (and a reflash fixes most that might remain). Of course be aware that a surprising number of people seem to still not sync their contacts and/or calendar with any external services, so if they're going to complain to and/or about you when they lose data it's probably not a bad idea to check those things. TOTP authenticator apps and photos/videos in the shared storage area are probably also worth looking for.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

LOL at Samsung's email client making GBS threads the bed and spamming a bunch of people.

Didn't Samsung's SMS client randomly start sending your contacts images from your phone just a few months ago or was that some other OEM that sucks at software?

edit: Yes

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/2/17528076/samsung-phones-text-rcs-update-messages

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 13, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was Samsung

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A while back I discovered quite possibly the dumbest thing about our call recording system. Call recording is set on a user level, and you can have it record no calls at all, a percentage of calls, or all of them. That's all well and good. A ticket came in where a user that was set to have all of their calls auto-recorded was missing one. Log into the recording section, yep, nothing. After quite a lot of digging, the following was unearthed:

This was a call between two different clients on our platform. One of them was enabled for call recording, and one of them wasn't. Our system only checks one side of the call to see if recording is enabled, and if it isn't, neither side gets to have their call recorded. That was a super fun conversation with the client.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
ticket of the day:

- guy comes in because he screwed up his audio on his machine
- some questions later it turns out he plugged in a midi keyboard and did things that screwed up everything.

:toot: this midi keyboard apparently needs additional power, do we have some 9v power adapters?
:v: why do you have a midi keyboard in the office?
:toot: I'm trying to make some music
:v: okay, but why in the office?
:toot: I was testing it and I want to connect it to my mobile phone in the future. That's why I need the power-adapter, btw do you have a Bluetooth adapter to connect my keyboard to my iphone?
:v: .......

..and now there's a company-wide e-mail asking for a lightning-connector to usb-b cable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Your screen name is apropos.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlternateAccount posted:

I will never close a ticket this cool.

Yesterday we received a critical support case because a customer lost a bunch of CRITICAL DATA from a database that was required for a product launch tonight. Because a developer, working directly in a production database, accidentally set a bunch of data to expire. Oh yeah: And no backups because $customer continues to be pants on head retarded.

We actually managed to get an escalation to get the service team to pull scattered bits from platters and get a sorta-kinda restore job running. So once again our Herculean efforts save them from themselves.

Their herp-derp incompetence makes me die a little bit more in anguished outrage every time we field a :kingsley: critical case that is 100% their ignorance and 0% our platform.

And I will never, ever, not ever, cause a hard drive to be sent into space.

Have I linked “Taking Retards to the Zoo” by the Dead Milkmen yet? I think I have.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

We have some tickets pop up every so often where people end up locked out of exchange hey it happens, they call us and we unlock them in AD. We have a VP user that's traveling that had a password expire while they were out of town so we changed the password. Now one of their devices at home are locking their account out randomly. Director of the department asked that we research which device is locking out, and I've found a few options that I'm looking into, but does anyone have a preferred way to do this?

It looks like Microsoft has some good tools that take work to get the answer, wondering if there's an all-in-one tool that will grab the info for us. Director said find the software that does the job and he'll buy it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Welp, just got the alert that the server in our Charleston office is offline.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Just drive in and unplug it, then plug it back in. I don't see the problem here.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Their herp-derp incompetence makes me die a little bit more in anguished outrage every time we field a :kingsley: critical case that is 100% their ignorance and 0% our platform.

One of my career life goals is to be in a situation where I can respond to one of those tickets with "wow, it really sounds like you hosed up. All our processes operated within our SLAs and so there is nothing we can do for you. Would you like to meet with someone to discuss best practices and how you could stop your future dumb decisions from turning into outages?"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

One of my career life goals is to be in a situation where I can respond to one of those tickets with "wow, it really sounds like you hosed up. All our processes operated within our SLAs and so there is nothing we can do for you. Would you like to meet with someone to discuss best practices and how you could stop your future dumb decisions from turning into outages?"

I’ve had those conversations, but I have to have them in polite customer-speak so they are far, far less rewarding than, “Dear dumbasses: You broke your own poo poo due to your own incompetence. Our poo poo is working as designed so go take a leap.”

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

I’ve had those conversations, but I have to have them in polite customer-speak so they are far, far less rewarding than, “Dear dumbasses: You broke your own poo poo due to your own incompetence. Our poo poo is working as designed so go take a leap.”

Sadly my co-workers are the ones breaking poo poo constantly, not understanding how anything works and every other awful thing under the sun; I still cannot tell them to please jump off a bridge before they drive me to do the same.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

We have some tickets pop up every so often where people end up locked out of exchange hey it happens, they call us and we unlock them in AD. We have a VP user that's traveling that had a password expire while they were out of town so we changed the password. Now one of their devices at home are locking their account out randomly. Director of the department asked that we research which device is locking out, and I've found a few options that I'm looking into, but does anyone have a preferred way to do this?

It looks like Microsoft has some good tools that take work to get the answer, wondering if there's an all-in-one tool that will grab the info for us. Director said find the software that does the job and he'll buy it.

The Exchange CAS logs can probably tell you the IP address that's attempting to make the connection, maybe the hostname or at least the user agent. I'd start there.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

minusX posted:

I've usually done that by digging into the Event Reporting on the server that's locking, after using Microsoft's LockoutStatus.exe tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15201) to figure out what server's generating the locks. If it's through Exchange, have fun with the Exchange logs.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

minusX posted:

If its device using active sync to connect to exchange you could try to use the ps command Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics to see which device is causing the lockouts. Something like this: "Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics -Mailbox $UserMailbox | ft DeviceType, DeviceUserAgent,LastSyncAttemptTime,LastSuccessSync"
Then you could try to use Remove-ActiveSyncDevice remove the device from the active sync list. Not sure if if the device it will just re add its self though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Welp, just got the alert that the server in our Charleston office is offline.

Ticket Closed: God’s Wrath

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Yesterday we received a critical support case because a customer lost a bunch of CRITICAL DATA from a database that was required for a product launch tonight. Because a developer, working directly in a production database, accidentally set a bunch of data to expire. Oh yeah: And no backups because $customer continues to be pants on head retarded.

We actually managed to get an escalation to get the service team to pull scattered bits from platters and get a sorta-kinda restore job running. So once again our Herculean efforts save them from themselves.

And I will never, ever, not ever, cause a hard drive to be sent into space.

Have I linked “Taking Retards to the Zoo” by the Dead Milkmen yet? I think I have.

Why are you bending backwards for these idiots? They don't pay for backups, let them eat poo poo.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have achieved this career goal to a certain extent.

Yesterday, I sent this out after getting a stupid request:

"We are not in the habit of changing our job/process to cater to infrastructure shortfalls. We will not be moving from full file reconciliation on a daily basis to delta maintenance, as maintaining the delta is a lot more risky and a business decision was taken last year to use the daily full file.

If the infrastructure, I.e. general storage requirements for storing a required minimum 60 days of full file history, is not being provisioned as necessary, this is not an issue we are going to participate in resolving. Grow the storage space."

I.e. I am not making GBS threads up my process and making it more likely to gently caress up data because your stupid department can't buy enough SAN in advance.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Why are you bending backwards for these idiots? They don't pay for backups, let them eat poo poo.

Because the customer has a two million dollar a month spend currently, and as they move all-in on us, that number ticks upwards towards a projected ten million a month. They don’t pay for backups but they do pay for lots of other things.

Unfortunately, big spend does not equate with big smarts.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
A ticket came in, on my third last day at my current job.

The client we're doing an onprem Exchange to Office 365 migration for ([ask] me about being parachuted onto this project the week before the last dude left, while having no prior experience with either exchange or office 365!) is running Office 2010 still. After weeks of troubleshooting the pilot migrations users' desktops, the other team members decided that the interim fix is to upgrade only Outlook to 2016. This led to another problem which I gaffer-tape-fixed by copying the old Winword.exe into the Office16 folder.

They've just asked for help saying that Word 2010/Outlook 2016 machines can't do mail merge any more due to "an error", which I'm trying to find out more about, but that doing a repair (quick or online, I'm also trying to find out) of Office 2010 fixes it.

I know this is gently caress-all information, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Also if your first instinct is to post "why the gently caress are you running mismatched versions of Office apps", then by all means do so, because I've already told them that that causes problems and they need to put the work in to upgrading instead of attempting all these workarounds.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Weatherman posted:

The client we're doing an onprem Exchange to Office 365 migration for ([ask] me about being parachuted onto this project the week before the last dude left, while having no prior experience with either exchange or office 365!) is running Office 2010 still. After weeks of troubleshooting the pilot migrations users' desktops, the other team members decided that the interim fix is to upgrade only Outlook to 2016. This led to another problem which I gaffer-tape-fixed by copying the old Winword.exe into the Office16 folder.

They've just asked for help saying that Word 2010/Outlook 2016 machines can't do mail merge any more due to "an error", which I'm trying to find out more about, but that doing a repair (quick or online, I'm also trying to find out) of Office 2010 fixes it.

I know this is gently caress-all information, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Also if your first instinct is to post "why the gently caress are you running mismatched versions of Office apps", then by all means do so, because I've already told them that that causes problems and they need to put the work in to upgrading instead of attempting all these workarounds.

We are doing the same (Exchange 2010 w/ office 2010 to o365), office 2010 works just fine with Exchange online, you just need to redo the Outlook profile(esp if they have third party imap mailboxes) after you migrated the mailbox. Having a mixed office on a machine is a good way to get extra bs thrown at you.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SlowBloke posted:

We are doing the same (Exchange 2010 w/ office 2010 to o365), office 2010 works just fine with Exchange online, you just need to redo the Outlook profile(esp if they have third party imap mailboxes) after you migrated the mailbox. Having a mixed office on a machine is a good way to get extra bs thrown at you.

Tell me about it :sigh:

I'm only supposed to be on the back end of things, but I'm getting asked to look into this poo poo because there's no one else available (read: assigned to the task).

I know they tried running Office 2010 only at the beginning, but there were some problems apparently that no amount of profile recreation, setting changes, etc. could fix. They even got MS premier support involved to no avail.

I keep saying "just upgrade everyone to 2016, you've already got the licenses so just push out an upgrade" but apparently that's more trouble than trying to play whack-a-mole with these issues.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Weatherman posted:

Tell me about it :sigh:

I'm only supposed to be on the back end of things, but I'm getting asked to look into this poo poo because there's no one else available (read: assigned to the task).

I know they tried running Office 2010 only at the beginning, but there were some problems apparently that no amount of profile recreation, setting changes, etc. could fix. They even got MS premier support involved to no avail.

I keep saying "just upgrade everyone to 2016, you've already got the licenses so just push out an upgrade" but apparently that's more trouble than trying to play whack-a-mole with these issues.

Let me spin my magic 8-ball for a motive:

"Macros won't work unless the office version matches to the original file"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

“Office 2010 is lacking in compliance features that are included in 2016”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

Set up a designated mail-merge computer that's either fully upgraded to Office 2016 or fully downgraded to Office 2010.

EDIT: Also, in case it wasn't implied: don't run mismatched versions of Office products.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
"How bad is he hurt?"
"Dunno yet. Might be somewhere between 'seriously' and 'very'."
"Is he hurt so bad that I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat if I fire him?"
"I mean, I might ask Legal first..."

Ticket came in from a branch office, about 20 people staffed there, something about the internet occasionally dropping. My coworker - the only other "IT guy" at this regional office - takes it on himself to

- Leave as if for late lunch, and for all I know actually have lunch.

- Drive 60+ miles out to this site without telling me or anyone else at either site

- Show up there about 3pm to find about twelve people in the office; apparently someone popular had their last day that day and some of them are out continuing the going-away party, including the office manager and the site manager.

- Accept two slices of pizza and some soda.

- Badge himself into the server room and let the door lock behind him.

What happened afterwards is still a matter of speculation, but staff heard a very loud "thuddy-crashy kind of a noise." Knocking and calling brought no response, and everyone with an authorized badge/master key was offsite and not answering their phones. Fortunately, before they had to form up search parties to try to find one of the managers (party search parties?) or call locksmiths, one of them was tried - and was able - to pick the lock.

When they got into the room, they find him laying on the ground semi-conscious, next to a broken stepstool, cradling a bump "the size of half a tennis ball" on his head. He has no memory of what exactly happened and we had no cameras in there. They tried to help him to his feet, at which point he spewed half-digested pizza all over the place - and all over one of the rescuers.

That's when they called 911.

He has a concussion, a huge cut on his side which may have been off part of the stepstool as he fell through it, and pieces of his phone in his thigh.

"... and see if he has a leg to stand on. In court, that is."
"I hate you."

mewse
May 2, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

"How bad is he hurt?"
"Dunno yet. Might be somewhere between 'seriously' and 'very'."
"Is he hurt so bad that I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat if I fire him?"
"I mean, I might ask Legal first..."

Ticket came in from a branch office, about 20 people staffed there, something about the internet occasionally dropping. My coworker - the only other "IT guy" at this regional office - takes it on himself to

- Leave as if for late lunch, and for all I know actually have lunch.

- Drive 60+ miles out to this site without telling me or anyone else at either site

- Show up there about 3pm to find about twelve people in the office; apparently someone popular had their last day that day and some of them are out continuing the going-away party, including the office manager and the site manager.

- Accept two slices of pizza and some soda.

- Badge himself into the server room and let the door lock behind him.

What happened afterwards is still a matter of speculation, but staff heard a very loud "thuddy-crashy kind of a noise." Knocking and calling brought no response, and everyone with an authorized badge/master key was offsite and not answering their phones. Fortunately, before they had to form up search parties to try to find one of the managers (party search parties?) or call locksmiths, one of them was tried - and was able - to pick the lock.

When they got into the room, they find him laying on the ground semi-conscious, next to a broken stepstool, cradling a bump "the size of half a tennis ball" on his head. He has no memory of what exactly happened and we had no cameras in there. They tried to help him to his feet, at which point he spewed half-digested pizza all over the place - and all over one of the rescuers.

That's when they called 911.

He has a concussion, a huge cut on his side which may have been off part of the stepstool as he fell through it, and pieces of his phone in his thigh.

"I hate you."

omg :lol:

mewse
May 2, 2006

There's everyday stupid then there's trapping yourself in a room and literally murdering yourself stupid

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

sfwarlock posted:

"I hate you."
:master:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mewse posted:

There's everyday stupid then there's trapping yourself in a room and literally murdering yourself stupid

How do you know he actually did it to himself :tinfoil:.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat, hope he's ok. A similar thing happened to a family member (not in a server room), and she was off work almost 6 months recovering from the head injury. It's been a few years now and cognitively she's still not the same. TBI's are no joke.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Why the hell is someone getting fired over a work injury in a company with obviously lacking worker safety regs?
The dude shouldn't be doing any manual labor in a security room without a buddy, and it sounds like that is a orga fault.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I assume the guy's ignored several policies to get himself into that position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

One of our B&G guys almost bled to death on the roof a few years ago. Sliced his arm on some protruding metal edge somewhere. His boss found him unconscious up there after thinking “you know, it’s been a while since I heard from Preston” and deciding to check up on him. They always work in pairs now.