Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Amppelix posted:

Don't let the most momentous news of the year pass you by: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (the first one) is getting remastered for ps4 and switch
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1039106212145586176
I can't believe how long this took to happen but also yesss this game owns and now it has online

I've been saying for years that this game was ahead of its time, now I get to put that to the test.

I hope they fix it so that you can have the different village jobs at max level without having to run several different characters through 10+ years of levels or whatever, the big bummer for me in single-player was getting locked out of a bunch of endgame equipment because I only had one player character maxed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you can't miss any equipment. iirc every blacksmith can make every weapon and armor by third cycle. the only thing you lose out on by ignoring your village is a crappy discount, and that's only good for the prohibitively expensive ultima weapons.

actually if you don't have the right items when they ask for it, it's very easy to make your family MAD at you entirely by bad rng luck, and they become the most expensive vendors in the game :downs:

and ultimas suck anyway, because only unique weapons like dreamcatcher and ragnarok have the best special attacks, ultimas just have basic specials.

with the exception of yukes, who don't get any unique special attacks, so just get ultima hammer if you were unfortunate enough to choose that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had the player's guide and I seem to recall that for the top-level equipment you need a max-level Alchemist to give you the blueprints for the best weapon and armor, and then a max-level merchant to sell you the materials to craft them. Maybe I read that all wrong back then though.

Also yes, the race-specific super weapons were extremely dope.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
nope you got all the recipes from boss or rare monster drops in specific areas. you needed an alchemist to get a couple accessory recipes, but there weren't any particularly good ones anyway. the best things, like lowering charge time, were all drops. drops drops drops the rng was the infuriating heart of crystal chronicles.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Actually I beat that game, single player, without every worrying about things like grinding (unless you count redoing some dungeons out of necessity as grinding) or optimized equipment

so maybe RNG wasn't the infuriating heart at all?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you can because ffcc is not a very difficult game, but if you want any cool items at all, welcome to the grind zone

like sure you can do the final area with a mythril sword and crappy armor but then you're missing out on everything interesting they put in the game

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I would say that everything interesting in the game includes the story, the fantastical area designs, the music...

And does not include a stick that does more damage. It's clearly a flaw that you need to hellgrind to get them, but I think it's a pretty minor one all things considered. You can just ignore the fact that the game has higher level equipment, unless you happen to luck into one. It's not like the game has any optional challenge content to test your might against either.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's not a Kawazu project without a cool world you only kind of vaguely learn about and arcane obscure stuff you don't really need to do but you sure as gently caress can if you want to be miserable

e: were any of the CC sequels good? I mean the ones that are actually like CC, not stuff like crystal bearers (which is hilarious and everyone should play)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
As for CC's story, we didn't care about it. We mashed advance through all the text, we just wanted to explore places and fight poo poo. I think that's fine, and games in this genre should account for players who don't want to engage with the world or the characters and just want to do the gameplay.

The DS sequels were ok I guess. They were a little stripped-down to account for the handheld, and they used a more traditional progression than CC. They're probably pretty fun with friends, but single player is kind of boring.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I remember losing my poo poo when FF:CC came out because it was the first Square game on a Nintendo console since VI, but it was immediately followed by disappointment because I am a nerd with zero friends interested in FF and I was the only GBA owner I knew of.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

I remember losing my poo poo when FF:CC came out because it was the first Square game on a Nintendo console since VI, but it was immediately followed by disappointment because I am a nerd with zero friends interested in FF and I was the only GBA owner I knew of.

It's older then ff1+2 gba? Huh did not know that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's older then ff1+2 gba? Huh did not know that

By a little less than a year in each region, apparently.

Crystal Chronicles came out in Japan in August '03, US and Canada Feb '04, and EU/Australia March '04. Dawn of Souls hit in Japan July '04, US/Canada in November '04, and EU/Australia December '04.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Amppelix posted:

so maybe RNG wasn't the infuriating heart at all?

Going through most ff games recently, the grind in CC isn't even as bad as half of the stuff you'd maybe have to do in other ffs if you start treading the "time to 100% the game" route, so I still don't get it.

But anyways, yeah you don't at all need to grind to see 90% of the cool poo poo in CC anyways (not including normal dungeon retreads for padding myrr cycles, that's unavoidable at some point) so don't worry about the rng stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ventana posted:

But anyways, yeah you don't at all need to grind to see 90% of the cool poo poo in CC anyways (not including normal dungeon retreads for padding myrr cycles, that's unavoidable at some point) so don't worry about the rng stuff.

imo the "cool poo poo" items are
1) the five magic rings
2) legendary weapons
3) chocobo shield

these things are all dictated purely by rng, because the way the treasure system works is, if you reach the minimum point threshold to get them in the boss drop pool, you're probably going to get a lower tier pool anyway. i would be fine with it if they removed the rng entirely, especially with extremely long and bad stages like the swamp.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Omg ff12 on switch

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally, FF12 can play itself on the go.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Lots of stuff for Switch.

* Crystal Chronicles and 15 Pocket, which we knew about.
* Deluxe World of Final Fantasy version or whatever
* Remastered version of one of the Chocobo Mystery Dungeon games.
* FF7, 9, 10/2, and 12 (lol suck it 8)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
World of Final fantasy is letting you change the main characters into different FF character, including Noctis who wasn't in before.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They obviously left out 8 because they're secretly working on VIII HD and VIII-2 where you play as Seifer/Fujin/Raijin

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
8 is also absent on iOS.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Confession time: I haven't played any numbered Final Fantasies past VI. Guess I'm buying a Switch sooner or later.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

12 feels made for handheld

I very much got a vibe of they will announce Noctis for smash

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad they are making a new Chocobo Mystery Dungeon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone at Square-Enix must really hate Final Fantasy VIII or someone who worked on it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a PC port of 8 so its the weirdest thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm glad they are making a new Chocobo Mystery Dungeon.

its just a port of the wii one afaik

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

12 feels made for handheld

I very much got a vibe of they will announce Noctis for smash

....Actually I'd be down for this if we got a 2nd Sqauare rep. Noctis has a cool enough power set that he could be made to be real fun to play.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

One of the big Smash leakers that's been right so far has suggested that another SE rep will make it in, but who knows who that will be. There's a good chance it could be Geno from Super Mario RPG since people won't shut the gently caress up about him and Geno's rights technically belong to SE.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

....Actually I'd be down for this if we got a 2nd Sqauare rep. Noctis has a cool enough power set that he could be made to be real fun to play.

Noctis is already in Tekken.

So he should be in smash too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

its just a port of the wii one afaik

That's what I get for half paying attention to the Direct. Saw Chocobo, saw the title and assumed it was a new game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

One of the big Smash leakers that's been right so far has suggested that another SE rep will make it in, but who knows who that will be. There's a good chance it could be Geno from Super Mario RPG since people won't shut the gently caress up about him and Geno's rights technically belong to SE.

Geno was also one of the Mii alternate costumes which so far have all been made characters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's what I get for half paying attention to the Direct. Saw Chocobo, saw the title and assumed it was a new game.

I guess I was the one not paying attention, since it has NPC partners and co-op so it's different

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'd hope that a second S-E rep would have more of a Nintendo connection. Noctis hasn't even been on a Nintendo console yet, so I really hope it's not him (also I hate him and all his unlikeable friends that never shut up but that's different).

When Sakurai was first theorizing potential FF Smash characters, he was throwing around Bartz, Terra and for some reason FuSoYa, all good picks from the SNES era that have stood the test of time. That'd be the vein I'd expect, because nearly every Smash Ultimate newcomer has been someone who's been desired by fans for ages. If you want to go even further back, I think a classic FFI Black Mage would be a strong choice.

If you want to extend beyond FF, then the obvious choice is Dragon Quest, but I unfortunately don't know enough about it to think hard on that. The protagonist from Secret of Mana would be a decent pick as well, maybe taking cues from Ness and borrowing techniques from his party. My hope for a second S-E rep would be Crono, though, who I think is a pretty good chance.

ImpAtom posted:

Geno was also one of the Mii alternate costumes which so far have all been made characters.

Also that's actually... pretty bloody wrong. Outfits deconfirmed as characters already includes Dunban, Megaman X, Proto Man, Zero, Rathalos (I don't think your hopes were THAT high), Knuckles and Ashley, so your rule here is essentially totally made up.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 14, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

I guess I was the one not paying attention, since it has NPC partners and co-op so it's different

Nah I watched it again, they say it's a port of the Wii game, but you can do Co-op and befriend monsters presumably like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'd hope that a second S-E rep would have more of a Nintendo connection. Noctis hasn't even been on a Nintendo console yet, so I really hope it's not him (also I hate him and all his unlikeable friends that never shut up but that's different).

They literally announced Noctis coming to the Switch today as part of the Direct.

Cleretic posted:

Also that's actually... pretty bloody wrong. Outfits deconfirmed as characters already includes Dunban, Megaman X, Proto Man, Zero, Rathalos (I don't think your hopes were THAT high), Knuckles and Ashley, so your rule here is essentially totally made up.

My... rule? Okay? Do you have me mistaken for someone else?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think Warrior of Light has a chance too.

My dream rep would be Gilgamesh since he’s a staple in the series, has a lot of weapons for his move set, and there’s already a big bridge stage.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF8's PC port is still the lovely Eidos one from way back when with a few bandaids, right? That'd be why it's not getting ported, they'd probably have to clean it up more.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

By the way the direct showed that FFCC will actually have some new areas in it, and also that the chalice carrying seems completely unchanged (they didn't call it out but from footage it looked like that)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's funny because I'm actually way more excited about all these Final Fantasy games coming to Switch than the Smash reveal.

Particularly IX & X/X-2 HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlphaKretin posted:

FF8's PC port is still the lovely Eidos one from way back when with a few bandaids, right? That'd be why it's not getting ported, they'd probably have to clean it up more.

I'm going to guess that it's the usual business and the source code was deleted or some other critical piece is missing. Or it's just pure unrefined hatred of it by someone with clout at Square-Enix.