Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
isn't that kinda weird how that died out really quickly?

but seriously, those paper straws...really really terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Use a freaking hollow reed like the rest of us do.
But, yeah, straws and glitter...it's like everyone just realized..."oh, me? using plastic? oh no!" and then went on Amazon to buy sustainable things. Or whatever.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who gives a poo poo?

Alternatively, use a paper straw or something.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Raking leaves into the wind. Probably everyone forgot the moment something was legislated about it so they could get mad about some other inconsequential issue while the sky slowly falls

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
tbh I don't really see the use of straws outside of like a juicebox.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

ArbitraryC posted:

Boba

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Without a straw, what are you supposed to hold out of the way with your index finger while drinking iced tea at a restaurant?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

In Australia supermarkets very briefly removed plastic bags and were meant to temporarily offer a thicker semi-reusable plastic bag for 15c as a stepping stone to people learning to bring their own bags or buy the permanent tote style ones on offer. The boomer news industry went red in the face and fell to the floor crying, wailing and gnashing their teeth. So now the supermarkets have agreed to permanently stock the thicker 15c bags. From what I have seen many people have just resigned to paying the money so they can continue to use them as completely disposable. That means the effort to reduce waste has actually increased the amount of plastic being thrown away, but now the supermarkets get the benefits of acting like they have made an effort to be green while also introducing a new thing to charge you for.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Is there a way for me to drink a giant fountain drink in my car without a straw? I'd like to avoid pouring the entire thing into my center console or alternatively all over my dick and balls.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they make paper ones and they are perfectly fine and anyone who bitches about losing plastic straws is a tremendous bitch made bitch rear end bitch and can suck my freaking balls

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Can you imagine being worried by a specific single piece of pollution then being like yeah we did it

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Moon Atari posted:

In Australia supermarkets very briefly removed plastic bags and were meant to temporarily offer a thicker semi-reusable plastic bag for 15c as a stepping stone to people learning to bring their own bags or buy the permanent tote style ones on offer. The boomer news industry went red in the face and fell to the floor crying, wailing and gnashing their teeth. So now the supermarkets have agreed to permanently stock the thicker 15c bags. From what I have seen many people have just resigned to paying the money so they can continue to use them as completely disposable. That means the effort to reduce waste has actually increased the amount of plastic being thrown away, but now the supermarkets get the benefits of acting like they have made an effort to be green while also introducing a new thing to charge you for.

My county banned disposable plastic grocery bags back in 2012, and I just switched over to carrying reusable tote bags in my car. But, my in laws to this day refuse to use them and insist that banning plastic bags is some kind of targeted attack on their civil liberties.

Honestly, I don't know if I would've switched to the reusable bags had they not banned the disposable ones. So, score one for the evil green agenda?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

it turns out that tons of people have disabilities that make not using a straw or even a paper straw basically impossible so they felt like people were basically banning them from bars, etc so people were like oooohhhhh okay

somewhere in the global consciousness the exchange rate between not making GBS threads on disabled people and not filling landfills with billions of single use straws were taken and it came up short

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Chinatown posted:

they make paper ones and they are perfectly fine and anyone who bitches about losing plastic straws is a tremendous bitch made bitch rear end bitch and can suck my freaking balls

Wet paper really grosses me out. How, uh, papery are the paper straws?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

chaosbreather posted:

it turns out that tons of people have disabilities that make not using a straw or even a paper straw basically impossible so they felt like people were basically banning them from bars, etc so people were like oooohhhhh okay

somewhere in the global consciousness the exchange rate between not making GBS threads on disabled people and not filling landfills with billions of single use straws were taken and it came up short

Can we just give straws to the disabled? You know, instead of feeding literal tons of them to sea life?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Plastic straws and the myopic concern over them are both symptoms of an insurmountable problem which guarantees the doom of all your progeny

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Google chokey the turtle

Serious do it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Protagonist posted:

Plastic straws and the myopic concern over them are both symptoms of an insurmountable problem which guarantees the doom of all your progeny

We're all doomed tho

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

We're all doomed tho

Yeah but now so is your bloodline and everything you hold dear

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Rad-daddio posted:

Can we just give straws to the disabled? You know, instead of feeding literal tons of them to sea life?

that makes them feel like freaks, which as a tall man who has to buy clothes occasionally i can see where they're coming from

but the answer is yes we could do that but the same empathy that makes you want to usually also makes you want to not upset people, and your lizard brain makes you rank any given human higher than all other forms of life combined.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Moon Atari posted:

Been shopping at Aldi for years so I've been using reusable bags for years. Sometimes though, I need to go to the other super markets to grab a couple of things and the contempt in their eyes when I don't have a bag for my 3 things is palpable.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rad-daddio posted:

Wet paper really grosses me out. How, uh, papery are the paper straws?

they coat them in something. probably plastic. :grin:

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lh3aPbKDn8&t=316s

Disposable plastic straws are bad but banning them is pretty much meaningless in terms of reducing plastic waste

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has anyone ever tried those metal straws?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Moon Atari posted:

I think you've got this one a bit twisted. the re-usable plastic bags were never temporary. The backflip was in the implementation, with the boomers getting all uppity that several months and stores covered in signs was simply not enough warning that they were going to end the free 'introductory period' and start charging for the thicker bags.

Lol if you think Coles and Woolies were EVER going to ban all plastic bags and risk letting people walk into their stores, notice that they didn't bring their bag, and walk out with fewer or unthinkably no purchases.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Woden posted:

Been shopping at Aldi for years so I've been using reusable bags for years. Sometimes though, I need to go to the other super markets to grab a couple of things and the contempt in their eyes when I don't have a bag for my 3 things is palpable.

If I forget my bags I take my shirt off and tie a knot in the collar, filling the shirt with my items through the bottom and walking out of there shirtless, being sure to glare at the elderly and show them that I have removed all my body hair in a fashion most unlike the masculine norms of their day.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

A few months ago I was on a date with a woman who chided me for using a plastic straw.

Then I said, "oh, is that the new thing? Straws are bad?" She looked at me like I was a loving idiot, and said, "They're PLASTIC."

That is literally the only thing I've heard about it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if you give a gently caress about straws never drive a car, take the bus, or get in elon musks hyper sensory deprivation bong tube ever again

not to say we shouldnt reduce plastic waste, but gimme a fuckin break

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 14, 2018

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've always used a rolled up $100 bill but you have to light it on fire afterwards to actually get high

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Sponge Baathist posted:

I've always used a rolled up $100 bill but you have to light it on fire afterwards to actually get high

Molly or coke?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SleepySonata posted:

Molly or coke?

Yeah sure

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

chaosbreather posted:

that makes them feel like freaks, which as a tall man who has to buy clothes occasionally i can see where they're coming from

but the answer is yes we could do that but the same empathy that makes you want to usually also makes you want to not upset people, and your lizard brain makes you rank any given human higher than all other forms of life combined.
Good point. I guess if you don't know the impact that straws have, it would seem like a non issue anyway. Also, as a fellow mutant tall goon, check out Old Navy's online store. They have a great selection of tall t shirts that actually fit without being super baggy.

Chinatown posted:

they coat them in something. probably plastic. :grin:
I was thinking they might be covered in wax, like the old soft drink cups. I might be on board with that, but maybe the market will evolve so that AM PM starts carrying giant sippy cups for their fountain drinks.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

Lol what, what kind of tard needs a straw to consume liquids

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Lol what, what kind of tard needs a straw to consume liquids

Actual tards do. I think folks with tremors, Parkinson's and stuff would have a hard time holding a full cup of liquid without wearing it.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

It's all just a personal basis feel good prescription. Same with cfl bulbs and reusable bags and recycling at home.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

When I take my clients out for lunch at restaurants we bring our own supplies of wet wipes, bibs, specialized cutlery and bowls, even our own food if one person has individualized dietary needs. We also bring our own wheelchairs, walking sticks, incontinence aids etc. We can bring our own reusable straw. That disability excuse is just more bullshit people use to avoid acknowledging that they are uncomfortable with change, one which allows them to maintain the feeling that they are more caring than lazy. I think most people saying it probably have no actual interaction with the disabled community, but even if you can find someone disabled who needs a straw to drink I am willing to look them straight in the face and tell them they are capable of bringing their own straw.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

shut up netface posted:

isn't that kinda weird how that died out really quickly?

but seriously, those paper straws...really really terrible.

The EU is going to ban plastic straws. Because that is what the EU does, ban things.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the culture war has devolved to the point where idiot CHUDs are turning pro-global warming and pro-pollution just for a chance to own the libs

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Is that one woman still posting LOL STRAWS TO OWN THE LIBS pics on Twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I carry an expensive fountain pen with me at all times in my suit pocket and I just disassemble it and suck banana milkshakes and fancy cocktails through the casing. It's both classy and environmentally friendly.

• Locked thread