Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m not good at google translate

Le Old public miso
this crawling of
voice
ya, two
oral
to
Seoul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Auction Sheet posted:

-65083- 5mt, ac, mazda speed muffler, actual mileage, factory muffler inside vehicle, rear end repairs, drivers seat sunk, steering wheel worn and cracked, undercarriage surface rust, other aftermarket parts, wheels scratched, interior dirty, right rear inside panel slightly bent, left and right baffle corrosion hole, other dents scratches paint waves paint faded surface rust

My guess is the driver and passenger floors are rusty from the inside if the other two AZ-1s I have are any indication. Does wear an aftermarket muffler, those wheels are OEM, and the 'seat sunk' thing is the driver's side bolster that gets rubbed away from people getting in and out of the car. Plus side is from the sheet it has a true 17k km on it, though I wonder if that's accurate what with the seat bolster being sunk.

Darchangel posted:

The Google Translate phone app is able to make translations from the camera. I've been using it to translate the stickers and stuff on cars you've posted. It's a bit finicky, and it really hates stylized text, but it mostly works. No idea if there's a desktop equivalent.

Snowy posted:

Le Old public miso
this crawling of
voice
ya, two
oral
to
Seoul

Translate app does work well enough to figure stuff out, but not on handwriting, it will start to see just lines as characters and attempt to translate them. Knowing the writing would be excellent for the hand-written stuff, which is very common.

Snowy posted:

Hope some occasional "ooh look at this" posts are ok.

Because this is so sexy

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-HBqIXy0tJ4tt2.htm

and this is adorable

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-tyH2adTx4XCqhiM.htm

Hell yeah it's rad, cool cars are all you need. I'd really like a Toyota Crown Wagon of that vintage, they are supremely gorgeous.

EDIT
everdave that Sera is gorgeous

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 14, 2018

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I want that AZ-1 so bad. How much would you expect that to sell for, Kaker?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh that's kind of a bummer, I wouldn't mind a FWD turbo BG, just to avoid the AWD issues.

I made one when I was younger. Unfortunately I didn't know what I was doing and never really finished it. :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MetaJew posted:

I want that AZ-1 so bad. How much would you expect that to sell for, Kaker?

IF that one has rust in the floor like the ratty AZ1 I have, but actually 17k miles, then I'd probably clean it up, patch the floor, POR-coat it then do all the other AZ1 stuff like cleaning out the sensors and valves and things that get caked with soot. I'd list it for $17k to start? I guess?
If it has 117k kms on it then it would depend more on what the actual quality is like for the exterior and interior. I'm toying with the idea of wrapping the ratty AZ-1 I have, and then refinishing the wheels in white. If it cleans up really well then the initial paint condition doesn't matter as much since they are all fiberglass panels anyway.

Essentially I don't think you can loose money on an AZ-1 if you buy from auction, they are too specific and if someone wants one there is a tiny tiny pool to pull from. They aren't getting any cheaper and are wholly unique.

If you want one I'd try to get one sooner rather than later.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

This is incredible, but I assume it's the size of a shoebox.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bennyfactor posted:

This is incredible, but I assume it's the size of a shoebox.

"Wikipedia posted:

Available as a kei truck, it was based on the Honda TN360. The Vamos used a 354 cc 2-cylinder, mid mounted, air-cooled, overhead camshaft gasoline engine shared with the Honda TN360, N360, and the Z360. The Vamos was a competitor at the time to the Suzuki Jimny and the Daihatsu Fellow buggy. According to the article for this vehicle at Japanese Wikipedia, only 2,500 were sold. Honda had hoped the popularity of the Honda Dax minibike with its off-road image would be associated with the Vamos. Because of the installation of the spare tire on the front of the vehicle and the sound from the air-cooled engine, it had a Volkswagen Type 2 reputation but because of the open cabin design, it wasn't very popular due to a lack of four-wheel drive.

The Vamos was available with an optional and removable rear seat, whereas the Vamos was known as the Vamos 2 or the Vamos 4, for its ability of passenger capacity. It was also available with lap only seat belts for all passengers. The convertible top was easily and quickly removed as needed. Due to the open cab configuration, all instrumentation and switches were both water- and dust proof. It used a MacPherson strut front suspension and a De Dion tube with half leaf springs in the back.

I'd love to get an air-cooled Honda at some point and show up to VW shows. Not to bomb it or anything, just to hang out with air cooled bros.

Also re: Seras

There are two up for auction, the gorgeous one in blue and a red one with SUPER LIFE SOUND.

DOUBLE EDIT

Also as we approach 1994 legality I'd suggest starting to open up searches to those years. Depending on the vehicle you are looking at there is a good chance that it was manufactured before the date shown at auction. That Rugger that I am going hard after? Sheet says December 1993 but it was manufactured in August.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 14, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

Paging DJ Commie

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

like someone bought it just for the shift knob?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KakerMix posted:

My guess is the driver and passenger floors are rusty from the inside if the other two AZ-1s I have are any indication. Does wear an aftermarket muffler, those wheels are OEM, and the 'seat sunk' thing is the driver's side bolster that gets rubbed away from people getting in and out of the car. Plus side is from the sheet it has a true 17k km on it, though I wonder if that's accurate what with the seat bolster being sunk.

I think it might be 173km looking at the sheet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

I think it might be 173km looking at the sheet.

So buy this one instead

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

So buy this one instead

New wheels and would use this for sizing, http://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1992/1641695/autozam_az-1.html

But errrgg kaker so tempting and if i didn't keep it could pretty easily flip it, i know that one weirdo tire will keep the price down.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

New wheels and would use this for sizing, http://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/1992/1641695/autozam_az-1.html

But errrgg kaker so tempting and if i didn't keep it could pretty easily flip it, i know that one weirdo tire will keep the price down.

It's being sold as-is so probably not able to get an inspection on it, but I asked Yoshi what the writing says that's been crossed out. It doesn't look too bad from here and it's very possible that the missing wheel is behind the seats on the shelf back there. And blue is the better color, red is fine but blue is just nicer.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

What does the group drop down menu mean?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

What does the group drop down menu mean?

Absolutely no idea!

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

KakerMix posted:

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

like someone bought it just for the shift knob?

They took the aftermarket shift knob off their old car and put in on their new one. Half the time this happens the old one is still in the glove box.

KakerMix posted:

So buy this one instead

Its condition in *** which means non-running.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Loanarn posted:

Even better then, was never sold on the kei 660cc engine, but the ford 1liter ecoboost engine swap has been kicking around in my head.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Loanarn posted:

They took the aftermarket shift knob off their old car and put in on their new one. Half the time this happens the old one is still in the glove box.

Yoshi posted:

Engine doesn't start, fuel pump/filter/gauge unit replaced recently, fuel pressure ok so believe the problem is with injectors/controller.

wargames posted:

Even better then, was never sold on the kei 660cc engine, but the ford 1liter ecoboost engine swap has been kicking around in my head.

You could get this thing very very cheap if you went for it. But to bring up the 660cc engine, poo poo is plenty fast, truly. I'm never wanting for power.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

You could get this thing very very cheap if you went for it.

if I put in a bid, is that the starting bid or the ceiling of the bids i am allowing?

edit:
power i think would be less of issue, but with the ford i3 and i would have more access to parts.

wargames fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 14, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
YOur bid is the top you willing to go, could win for less.

Just heard SOMEBODY won another Rugger while I was requesting
Some inspections congrats!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

if I put in a bid, is that the starting bid or the ceiling of the bids i am allowing?

edit:
power i think would be less of issue with the ford i3 and more parts.

My guess is there is no reserve on it. Your bid would be against everyone else's bid that goes after it world-wide. If you are the highest bidder you pay something like 500 yen on top of the next highest bid, you never pay your full bid price unless you hit directly on reserve.
This isn't like eBay where you actively bid, you prepare, bid, then wait. The auction comes up, flashes through the bids for a few seconds, then ends. You find out if you won. Thousands of bids a day cycle through, all the work is in preparing your bid, the rest is waiting.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Time to see how bad of an idea this was.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

My guess is there is no reserve on it. Your bid would be against everyone else's bid that goes after it world-wide. If you are the highest bidder you pay something like 500 yen on top of the next highest bid, you never pay your full bid price unless you hit directly on reserve.
This isn't like eBay where you actively bid, you prepare, bid, then wait. The auction comes up, flashes through the bids for a few seconds, then ends. You find out if you won. Thousands of bids a day cycle through, all the work is in preparing your bid, the rest is waiting.

Everyone forgets you can use eBay like that too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Just heard SOMEBODY won another Rugger while I was requesting
Some inspections congrats!

Told you, HELLBENT.

Let's talk about this Rugger:

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, one owner, actual mileage, diesel turbo, warranty booklet, spare key, owner's manual, inspection record, interior dirty and tears, undercarriage painted, other dents scratches

Inspector posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, no oil leaks, tires at 20% slight cracks, spare ok, spare cover dirty, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarraige painted, boots ok, body as is in diagram, clear coat scratches and cracks, windshield ok, seats in good condition, small stains in rear seats, dashboard glue remains, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, wipers ok.

A 1993 Daihatsu Rugger, chassis ID F78G-000041. 20451 km ~or~ 12708 total miles. One owner, maintenance history, original paperwork, original keys. Plus the tire cover is a bit dirty but in perfect shape :toot:. Looks like all it needs is a good detailing, cleaning and some new tires. I figured it was a one owner before I even looked at the sheet because it has the center cap chrome bits.
I bid right on the money too, as my bid ended up being what it sold for since I was competing with at least two other people (at other places besides JCD) pushing the bid right up to my max.

EDIT
Now with better pictures

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 14, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Midjack posted:

Everyone forgets you can use eBay like that too.

Yeah it's crazy, there's never a good reason to put a bid in before the last second if you can help it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snowy posted:

Yeah it's crazy, there's never a good reason to put a bid in before the last second if you can help it.

I can't be bothered to :f5:, I just put in the max I'm willing to pay when I see the auction. Someone else wants it worse, too bad for me!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Midjack posted:

I can't be bothered to :f5:, I just put in the max I'm willing to pay when I see the auction. Someone else wants it worse, too bad for me!

I just use an auction sniper when it matters

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow the Beat I bid on went for double my 450k bid and I thought 250-300 good on the red Sera, they e already got a 650k bid. That is crazy for a Sera!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
My wife does eBay stuff (both buying and selling) and yeah she just sets a bid, if she wins great! If not, meh.

So hey since I've blown my wad on a Rugger I'm going to post the other one I was going to go if for some reason the Rugger didn't work out

I don't have a sheet translation or inspection or anything, but I can say that I truly do love our 91 Prado we have. Sure it's the 2 door version but it's so good, just the way it handles, rumbles and is just a real dependable truck. This is identical to ours but has less dents and more doors. If any of you are looking at a diesel JDM truck for whatever reason I super-like Prados, even if the aussies in the crown will scream 'HEADS'. I'd expect this one to sell for 650,000~ or so yen, maybe more. Yeah it's also not killer brown like everdave's but this does have a 5 speed manual.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Really like that white Prado. Nice

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

My wife does eBay stuff (both buying and selling) and yeah she just sets a bid, if she wins great! If not, meh.

So hey since I've blown my wad on a Rugger I'm going to post the other one I was going to go if for some reason the Rugger didn't work out

I don't have a sheet translation or inspection or anything, but I can say that I truly do love our 91 Prado we have. Sure it's the 2 door version but it's so good, just the way it handles, rumbles and is just a real dependable truck. This is identical to ours but has less dents and more doors. If any of you are looking at a diesel JDM truck for whatever reason I super-like Prados, even if the aussies in the crown will scream 'HEADS'. I'd expect this one to sell for 650,000~ or so yen, maybe more. Yeah it's also not killer brown like everdave's but this does have a 5 speed manual.

The low res and sloppy handwriting make these things like vision tests! Quick gist:

Diesel
Studless [winter] tyres
4 aluminium [counter for long thin things, bars of some kind?) Or this may be a continuation of the tyre thing, possibly 4 aluminium wheels or something.
Seats 8
steering wheel (or door handle)... thread something. Educated guess: wear on steering wheel?
One owner car*
Small mark/dent (could be plural)
EG (engine? never seen that abbreviation before) small oil [something]. Got curious and tried to look it up (unsuccessful), but I'd guess 'leak' or 'weep'.

Here's how you can recognise that. The final one is the kanji (character) for 'car', the katakana spells out 'won ownaa'. :eng101:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

Wow the Beat I bid on went for double my 450k bid and I thought 250-300 good on the red Sera, they e already got a 650k bid. That is crazy for a Sera!
If you're feeling brave, there's a crusty snotter of a Sera on UK Ebay for $720.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352457576208

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm jealous of everyone ITT with a Kei car. If I had the money I would love to buy an Alto.

Here in Atlanta I've been seeing a lot of imports lately - mostly R32s. The other day I saw a hilariously awful R32 with Cambered rear wheels that were basically riding on the tire's sidwall. Also he had "DUB" spray painted on the gigantic aftermarket radiator.

Anyways if any of you guys in the area want to let me drive your Kei cars hmu ;)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Snowy posted:

Le Old public miso
this crawling of
voice
ya, two
oral
to
Seoul

Yeah, like I said, it's finicky, especially with low-rez. You should have seen some of the funny stuff it came up with for the badging/labels on one of Kaker's vans, I think it was.

KakerMix posted:

Translate app does work well enough to figure stuff out, but not on handwriting, it will start to see just lines as characters and attempt to translate them. Knowing the writing would be excellent for the hand-written stuff, which is very common.

Yeha, stylized text and handwritten stuff just baffle it completely, too

KakerMix posted:

It's being sold as-is so probably not able to get an inspection on it, but I asked Yoshi what the writing says that's been crossed out. It doesn't look too bad from here and it's very possible that the missing wheel is behind the seats on the shelf back there. And blue is the better color, red is fine but blue is just nicer.

Agreed, blue is best..

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

we'll see if i win or get sniped by kaker, did low ball it but a not running az-1 is a risk.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

InitialDave posted:

If you're feeling brave, there's a crusty snotter of a Sera on UK Ebay for $720.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352457576208

I'm gonna have to pass on that one ha

KAKER - how did you get more pics so fast?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

we'll see if i win or get sniped by kaker, did low ball it but a not running az-1 is a risk.

Nah I'm not bidding on anything else, I got that Rugger so that's my budget for a bit. Also that Bongo.

everdave posted:

I'm gonna have to pass on that one ha

KAKER - how did you get more pics so fast?

USS auctions frequently don't interface well with the web auction thing, showing only 3 pictures and in lower res. In this case the screenshot of the winning bid showed 3 other screenshots so I asked for them. Yoshi had to crop the pictures out so I usually don't bother him about other cars, but we won this one so I asked.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 14, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Nah I'm not bidding on anything else, I got that Rugger so that's my budget for a bit. Also that Bongo.

USS auctions frequently don't interface well with the web auction thing, showing only 3 pictures and in lower res. In this case the screenshot of the winning bid showed 3 other screenshots so I asked for them. Yoshi had to crop the pictures out so I usually don't bother him about other cars, but we won this one so I asked.

I didn't see much today I was even interested in. I may throw a lowball at that white Prado you linked.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone have a ballpark idea how much the total shipping/asst fees might be to have a camper like this sent over?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-2eQEkUEdIlgY3q4.htm

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

Anyone have a ballpark idea how much the total shipping/asst fees might be to have a camper like this sent over?

I asked about a Toyota Dolphin camper a few months ago and they were like no it would cost too much to get to and ship on the boat but I don’t know how true that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Probably a lot. There has to be an upper-limit to what RoRo will accept but that looks like it would be fine? If it follows the scale for everything else then I'd assume it would be around 2k USD in just ocean freight and insurance to move that thing specifically. People are shipping around campers all the time.

So hey who was asking about tiny kei fire trucks? This one got away but