Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

:siren:THIS IS IT. THE USS NATHAN JAMES SAILS FOR THE FINAL TIME:siren:
:siren:OP Contains S 1-4 spoilers:siren:

SEASON 5 OF THE LAST SHIP STARTS TOMORROW NIGHT AT 9:00PM ON TNT IF YOU STILL WATCH TV THE STUPID WAY

For those of you just joining us, this is Star Trek: TNG, except with Navy ships instead of spaceships. Captains and senior officers always go on away missions. Multiple Captains on one ship. It's TNG and it's good. Better than it had any right to be.

This deserves a better OP and hopefully I'll come back to it, but this show started as a show about a single US Navy Destroyer sent to the Arctic on what they were told was a weapons test. They were also carrying to scientists who were supposedly studying birds. Instead they were searching for a cure to a virus that wiped out 90% of the world's population. Nukes were fired, Russians were beaten time and again, Tex as picked up, and bodies were fed into a furnace for power. Season 1 was a bit heavy on USA USA USA but that's since toned down. Hollywood theatrics aside, the show does pay pretty good attention to real life military protocol. It also isn't afraid of killing characters. Usually the leads have a measure of plot armor but the supporting cast has none at all. Guys you'll see in the first season will be killed off 2 seasons later without any warning. They are not redshirts. They've had screentime, personalities. Maybe you don't remember their name, but you know them. And then BOOM dead, moving on.

Season 2 had a serious of traitorous euros with a submarine who were immune to the virus try and take over the world by killing the remaining non-immune population. They even installed an immune as President to attempt to exert control over the remaining United States. Captain McSteamy and Adam Baldwin (playing himself) save the President, thwart the plan to spread the virus, sink the sub taking the Euro scum with it, and manage to setup a government and begin rebuilding. Someone big is killed but I'm not telling who.

Season 3: OH gently caress THE CURE IS NO LONGER WORKING IN ASIA! Captain Jawline is now Chief of Naval Operations, sent to Asia to meet with leaders there to investigate. Adam Baldwin is now Captain of the Nathan James, just like he always wanted IRL. Someone tries to assassinate Jawline but he survives. Several others do not. So it's game on in Asia. And we're no longer the last ship. Now there are 3 others! Turns out someone is manufacturing and spreading a powder that makes kills anyone who is given the original cure to the virus, sowing distrust towards the americans (USA USA USA). At first they face down a pirate army lead by a dude with a grudge because his wife got the cure and is now dying. Shooting ensues, people die, there's a great episode involving a minefield, and Captain of the pirates is convinced it is not the Americans spreading the powder causing cure-death. All 4 ships make a play for Asia that does not end well. After some minor politics and a slight coup, we end up with 4 Captains on the Nathan James, including the pirate Captain. Turns out it was one of the major Asian leaders looking to take over all of Asia. It should be noted that this season is where we pick up Bridget Reagan as the super hot, super badass operator. Since this is Asia, the final fight involves shooting killing, and at least one dude getting shanked with a samurai sword. World saved, once again. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE. While all this is going on, unsavory shits back home are trying to divide up the United States for themselves in some kind of tin pot dictatorship. Naturally they're in league with the Asian dude. But Captain America makes it back in time to stop that, save his kids and kill the blond unpatriotic bitch-face. However someone else dies here too, and it still loving hurts :smith:

Season 4: 2 words: Peter Weller. Feeling the guilt of having killed unpatriotic bitch-face, Captain Jawline takes his kids and goes to hang out in Greece, off the grid from everyone else. Some rear end in a top hat takes the original virus and engineers it to infect plant life causing a worldwide famine. Seriously we've gotta be down to like 338 people left on the planet at this point. Captain America is living the good life with his kids and hot greek girlfriend, when some rear end in a top hat kills his greek friend and burns down his boat. Obviously this cannot stand. Abandoning his hot greek girlfriend and kids (seriously they haven't been seen since) he makes friends with the original rear end in a top hat and infiltrates his organization which involves some fight club. Capt Jawline is caught on tape at one of these, letting the rest of his trusty crew in on his whereabouts. After some James Bond ship, our hero discovers that the antagonist is working with the Greek Navy to create the famine and provide a cure for it giving them control of the world food supply. Our last ship now has 4 adversaries. Reunited with his ship and crew, but not really "back" the hunt is on for the ship containing the scientist, his idiot greek kid with the fight club, and his less idiot greek daughter. Guns are shot, missiles are fired and we're down to 1 Greek ship. I think there's another good minefield scene in this episode too. Now on the run, we find out our scientist guy is a hallucinating lunatic. Captain and crew save the seeds that will provide the world with food, then send the final greek ship straight to hell.

Season 5? Apparently the Navy is back to something like fighting strength. There's supposed to be a time jump, like there have been previously. Beyond that I don't know much except that the Jawline will save the world, Adam Baldwin will continue to be Adam Baldwin, and Wolf will 100% for sure get into a fight with someone who can nearly take him but can't, at which point Wolf ends up beating the gently caress out of the guy and throwing him through a wall. Seriously, he always throws them through a wall.

TUNE IN. THIS poo poo RULES.

Khablam posted:

Series highlights:

FLYING PUNCH

CLOTHESLINE

MURICA :911: :911:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So its another of those "The world is n ruins but theres always one more army/spaceship/city/powerful leader" shows?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

For those of you just joining us, this is Star Trek: TNG, except with Navy ships instead of spaceships. Captains and senior officers always go on away missions. Multiple Captains on one ship. It's TNG and it's good. Better than it had any right to be.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013
Green better not have a terrible beard all season again.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Betting pool on who doesn't survive the series?

Bridget Reagan because Chandler can never be happy. Or because he abandons her.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

504 posted:

So its another of those "The world is n ruins but theres always one more army/spaceship/city/powerful leader" shows?
Imagine TNG but Geordie sometimes gets in fights where he clotheslines a terrorist and Picard yells FLANK SPEED a lot.

e: in fairness the later seasons have gone from big-arc with threat of the week to a more constant narrative, but it's still fun as heck.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Series highlights:

FLYING PUNCH

CLOTHESLINE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So is Slattery an Admiral now? Makes sense I guess, since he has to be the highest ranking officer still serving. Looks like Chandler is too.

The world seems pretty OK now with parties and ships and balloons and news reporters seeing as how 99% of the population died...

Edit: Meylan is an Admiral! Everyone is an Admiral!

And the Show Title is gonna be true again, it seems...

Astroman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 10, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
L.T is the Captain!

e: Way to blend in Sasha

HOLY poo poo !!!!! They went there!

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 10, 2018

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

God drat, that's one way to start a season

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

God drat, that's one way to start a season

That preview: Tom Chandler is going to personally eat all of South America

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bloody hell, that dress :aaaaa:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Flatscan posted:

:agreed:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Khablam posted:

Series highlights:

FLYING PUNCH

CLOTHESLINE

A+ username/post combo

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For a minute I thought the Delta team plot was going to be The Warriors, but they turned it around. Glad this show is back.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I binged this series and enjoy it, over the top America and all.

That said, I don't know if I can stream it in Canada, so I'll have to wait until it hits Crave :shrug:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Those Bolivar wannabees are super-ultra-turbodead once the Cap reboots his ship.

Fun fact, the IA58 Pucara was the first plane ever shot down by a Stinger.

edit: did they just bring back Chief Garnett just to kill her off immediately ?

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 11, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Legit surprised Admiral Kirk Chandler didn't immediately take command of the Enterprise Nathan James, but instead let Slattery take it. I assume that's just to make that Crowning Moment of Awesome all the better later in the season.

And as much as I enjoyed the hell out of Peter Weller chewing scenery last season, and as predictable as making Nathan James The Last Ship again is as a plot device, I think this season is gonna rock.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astroman posted:

Legit surprised Admiral Kirk Chandler didn't immediately take command of the Enterprise Nathan James, but instead let Slattery take it. I assume that's just to make that Crowning Moment of Awesome all the better later in the season.

And as much as I enjoyed the hell out of Peter Weller chewing scenery last season, and as predictable as making Nathan James The Last Ship again is as a plot device, I think this season is gonna rock.

Soon as they flew in Tora! Tora! Tora! style i jumped up and double fisted the air.

So excited for this dickhead show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Astroman posted:

It's like a roller coaster, you know the hill is there but it's still a fun ride.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Why is this stupid show so much fun and why can't I stop watching it.

I'm also glad to learn I'm not the only one who saw it and went "oh this is just Star Trek: Alec Baldwin".

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's easy to love cuz there's no pretense. a little bit of over the top jingoism, but pretty sure that just makes us love it more... so goddamn earnest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

power crystals posted:

Why is this stupid show so much fun and why can't I stop watching it.

I'm also glad to learn I'm not the only one who saw it and went "oh this is just Star Trek: Alec Baldwin".

"I'm ADAM Baldwin"

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Rocksicles posted:

"I'm ADAM Baldwin"

Funnily enough I thought it was Adam but the OP said Alec so I corrected myself. That's what I get for trusting you, HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE :argh:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

power crystals posted:

Funnily enough I thought it was Adam but the OP said Alec so I corrected myself. That's what I get for trusting you, HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE :argh:

ha look at this guy, he trusted me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Really good start. I didn't particularly like last season though, so it comes as a huge surprise the first episode is a giant improvement considering they shot both seasons back to back.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Glad it's The Last Ship again and hope their comms remain dead so they can't contact Star Fleet command after going into Romulan space South America.
Glad too we've already seen the Behemoth the Nathan James will sink with a bit of cunning, A++ tactics from a pulpy paperback and FLANK SPEED.

e: Holy poo poo that dress too.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It's pretty loving :smith: that all the ships in the fleet were named after now-dead cast members. It's like they died twice.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Where was the USS Tex? :mad:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Astroman posted:

That's the ballistic missile sub that will extract unholy vengeance on the rebels.

(by sneaking Cap and his team in, not nuclear hellfire)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I want, nay, need, a gif of the dead soldier holding a miniature american flag waving in the breeze. This show is so good.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Do you think they'll do a title drop next episode or save that for the final episode?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Astroman posted:

They should have named the carrier Tex

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress that, put his face on the new $100 bill.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Final episode should be the crew tearfully breaking a bottle of champagne on the hull of the brand new carrier USS Tex.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I'm guessing that the supervirus that magically took everything out was engineered by Elliott and the Dark Army working with that dead kid. You'd think that the US would have McAfee installed somewhere.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ Great insight, I like this theory.

The world USA recovered so quickly from devastating virus and crop failure. Maybe Thanos' plan to wipe out half the population isn't so crazy after all.

Flatscan posted:

The neckline on that dress plunged down further than the absurdity of their plan. "Let's show how easily we can assassinate their president, he'll really appreciate it". LOL

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

/\ Great insight, I like this theory.

The world USA recovered so quickly from devastating virus and crop failure. Maybe Thanos' plan to wipe out half the population isn't so crazy after all.

The neckline on that dress plunged down further than the absurdity of their plan. "Let's show how easily we can assassinate their president, he'll really appreciate it". LOL

That's what they were paid to do. They didn't take into account the Latin Pride variable.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I will laugh like a moron if the Chandler cardboard cutout ends up being the lynchpin of the Nathan James big gambit against the evil Latin American empire in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sober posted:

I will laugh like a moron if the Chandler cardboard cutout ends up being the lynchpin of the Nathan James big gambit against the evil Latin American empire in the finale.

Put him in a drug runners boat filled with warheads. Miami Vice style.

• Locked thread