Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Also make sure you get the one that includes the version of Revenge of Iris that doesn't have super hosed up subtitles, which probably will be the only one you can find at this point luckily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

RichterIX posted:

Also make sure you get the one that includes the version of Revenge of Iris that doesn't have super hosed up subtitles, which probably will be the only one you can find at this point luckily.

Yeah the triple pack that's the first one on Amazon to come up has the correct subtitles.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If you have a Fry's near you the Gamera trilogy box set is pretty much always $5 or less if you can find it in stock. It's been on clearance there forever and they started with about a million copies of it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So last night I watched the American version of Varan the Unbelievable 1962

It is a near complete American reshelling of the Japanese original Varan from 1958, where 99% of the human scenes have been jettisoned in favor of brand new American footage, while keeping almost all of the monster action and special effects shots.

Now those who recall, you may remember that I have many warm feelings for the 1956 Americanized Godzilla King of the Monsters

These feelings are not shared for its cousin, Varan the Unbelievable.

This is a movie that is made of every sin imaginable. And I will explain what I mean by that momentarily. First and foremost, the movie began its life planned to be a Japanese American co-production by Toho Studios, who had intended it to be a TV movie for America first and foremost. When the American side of production fell through, they reworked things to work as a cinematic thing.

This movie, you might realize, is actually pretty important in theory. It was made in 1958, two years after the 1956 Rodan, and three years prior to the release of 1961 Mothra.

This places Varan at the unique position of the fourth Toho giant monster, after Godzilla, Angirus, and Rodan. AND their fourth movie

Yet, strangely, Varan has never appeared again since Destroy All Monsters 1968, where he had the tiniest cameo ever

This is not strange at all. Varan's movie is a piece of utter poo poo. Maybe the Japanese version works better, honestly cannot say, but the American version is almost charmingly awful until the monster stuff happens and then it gets unbelievably dull.

I could go into a whole sermon about what the 1962 Varan did wrong compared to King of the Monsters 1956, but we'd be here for longer than the movie actually was.

Some cliff notes

The main character is the MOST AMERICAN MAN to EVER AMERICA. He is the stoic good hearted firm but fair super military leader who is also a brilliant scientist who just cares so gosh darn much but also refuses to go find an unpopulated land to test his HIGHLY DANGEROUS CHEMICALS on. He objects to the Japanese military bringing in tanks to move the village that he himself has ordered moved, and ends up making a concession that only serves to reveal what a piece of poo poo he really is

Also his wife is Japanese...I guess. She's definitely Asian, though if she was actually Japanese I have doubts. I have MORE doubts about the Japanese military leader who works under him who cannot speak a word of Japanese.

Not that these characters can speak English either. Instead, we get good ole fashion racism as both characters, who should be able to speak fluent English, speak the most stereotypical broken english ever. It'd be like a black guy showed up and just started going on about massa and mammy

His relationship with his wife is also six kinds of hosed because he treats her like a small confused child and constantly tells her to act like a good girl and physically shoves her to do things he wants her to do while also verbally down talking her into acting the way he wants. SHE WILL DO WHAT HE SAYS BECAUSE HE IS THE MAN AND ALSO WHITE

It's almost precious how blatantly sexist and racist it is.

Also his chemicals both make the monster attack happen and SAVE THE DAY

Everything coems up AMERICA!

Speaking of the monster attack, holy poo poo Varan is awful.

His suit is designed to be a quadruped but he keeps walking around bipedal and looks AWFUL doing it. When he is on all fours, he looks pretty decent- except that the entire back section of his costume is barely attached and keeps flapping around like a lovely backpack

So every second he is on screen, he looks objectively terrible EVEN AND ESPECIALLY FOR THE TIME.

And he is on screen for about 40 solid minutes

35 of which he is being shot at by the military.

And not in a cool, impressive way either. In a 'super imposed explosions and lovely half assed effects work" kind of way.

By the end of the movie you are so sick of Varan that you start checking out, right around the time he swallows a flare and then a bunch of explosives. This FEELS like a budgeted work Toho shat out quickly and God does it show.

Maybe the Japanese version handles the endless Varan scenes better, the story HAS to be better than this, but if you want a lovely 1950s monster movie with an overbearing WHITE MAN KNOWS ALL protagonist, Varan is your movie baby.

Just watch with friends because you're not getting out of this without copious amounts of mockery.

Jesus Godzilla King of the Monsters 1956 feels like such a retroactive apology for this turd.

ALSO THE DUB NEVER CALLS HIM VARAN, BUT OBAKE

DESPITE THE TITLE OF THE AMERICAN MOVIE BEING VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 2, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Unbelievable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mantis42 posted:

Unbelievable.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Best part of 'Varan' is the score, I've only seen the movie twice because yes, it's pretty boring, but the score stands among Ifukube's best.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You forgot the strange random houseboy the main character has, who is treated about as well as Meg on Family Guy. Every time he pops up to interject an idea or react to something happening, or even just explain local stuff, he's immediately shouted down and made to go sweep up the dirt...on the dirt road outside their home.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

You forgot the strange random houseboy the main character has, who is treated about as well as Meg on Family Guy. Every time he pops up to interject an idea or react to something happening, or even just explain local stuff, he's immediately shouted down and made to go sweep up the dirt...on the dirt road outside their home.

That's okay

The movie forgets about him too

Did he die in the Varan attack? Who knows!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Varan the Unbelievably Bad (US version)

Taken out by severe indigestion, he wanted to end it all

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Binary Badger posted:

Taken out by severe indigestion, he wanted to end it all

Same

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Japanese version has less hateful characters but similar pacing problems. It was a weird misstep for Toho, it was supposed to be a TV thing (hence being in black and white), the movie never quite came together narratively and there are a lot of repeated scenes.

That said I do love the monster design and wish we could get an updated Varan. (He was supposed to be one of the monsters in GMK but Toho opted for the most popular monsters in their roster.)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Yup. Varan was a constant also-ran. He was a proposed character in the original draft of Godzilla vs. Gigan and GMK. It was a shame that his design never broke through; I personally really like Varan.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

He had some awesome goofy animations in the NES game too

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

loving hell the Mothra Trilogy is on Comet TV right now, and Rebirth of Mothra has SUCH BAD SFX. The Chroma key is poo poo and very jarring. Doesn't help its the dub version...

Glad my mom enjoyed Shin Godzilla though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the Mothra trilogy was them really trying to do things on the cheap- Toho was doing some cost cutting. At the end of filming Destoroyah they partly filled in the Big Pool they used to do water shots, to add more parking. (They eventually paved over the whole thing but that was after the Millennium series.) Composites were a big part of it, saves on building miniatures, but even by Godzilla 2000 they didn't really have it down.

There are some good bits in the trilogy but the whole thing is kinda cast over with this pall of "Eh, it's for kids, who cares"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/livedoornews/status/1040441661963231232

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Not even a rad poster could get me excited about those putrid animes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All I want is for King Ghidorah to be appropriately huge and to tower Godzilla. And given how tall Godzilla's 2014 design is, the King had better be loving massive.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Timby posted:

All I want is for King Ghidorah to be appropriately huge and to tower Godzilla. And given how tall Godzilla's 2014 design is, the King had better be loving massive.

Are you referring to that poster? That's for the anime. As for KG in the next movie:

Monarch Sciences posted:

At a Monarch containment facility deep in the frozen tundra of Antarctica, a three-headed winged serpent of ancient yet unknown origin lies frozen within a glacial tomb of ice. This is without question the largest superspecies ever discovered, easily dwarfing Godzilla at a height of over five-hundred feet tall.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Are you referring to that poster? That's for the anime. As for KG in the next movie:

LONG

LIVE

THE KING

Edit: Isn't 2014 Godzilla like 350 feet tall? gently caress yes, I don't care how much other stupid poo poo you've done, Dougherty, if you give me the biggest Godzilla against THE BIGGEST loving KING GHIDORAH EVER I will suck all the dicks.

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 14, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that’s exactly what we’re getting it’s going to own.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that’s exactly what we’re getting it’s going to own.

It's all I want. I just want to see a gigantic, enormous, horrifying King Ghidorah.

Edit: And after they said they tested the roar of Godzilla 2014 and measured it at 50 miles away, I want the King to have the most horrifying scream as he unleashes his lightning breath poo poo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 14, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Timby posted:

LONG

LIVE

THE KING

Edit: Isn't 2014 Godzilla like 350 feet tall? gently caress yes, I don't care how much other stupid poo poo you've done, Dougherty, if you give me the biggest Godzilla against THE BIGGEST loving KING GHIDORAH EVER I will suck all the dicks.
Heck, forget the monsters I'll suck the dicks anyway

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So long as he gets started on another Trick 'r Treat

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

All I wanna be
Is someone who will see
A giant Ghidorah...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ghidorah is actually just three dragons in a big suit.

They're very close!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not even a rad poster could get me excited about those putrid animes.

We only watched the first one here and like, talk about bad. Waste of a really cool premise honestly.

Timby posted:

It's all I want. I just want to see a gigantic, enormous, horrifying King Ghidorah.

Edit: And after they said they tested the roar of Godzilla 2014 and measured it at 50 miles away, I want the King to have the most horrifying scream as he unleashes his lightning breath poo poo.

IIRC he's so big the environmental disaster thing with him is that where Godzilla causes a typhoon just by walking out of the water, Ghidora's generates a huge hurricane around him whenever he's flying like not as an attack he's just that big that he has that much of an effect on the climate. I'm super hyped.

I like their :technobabble: reason for how he works too, the "aerodynamics" of his body and him being like the other ancient monsters with how they can consume electricity/radiation/etc. is what causes there to be lightning around him and stuff, but due to his aeons of being buried and compressed within the earth trace amounts of gold line his body makes him naturally conducive enough that he figured out he can spit "gold gravity beams" at people. I don't mind if poo poo is never explained but I appreciate the effort here a lot to justify A HUGE GOLDEN THREE HEADED DRAGON GOD THAT SPITS LIGHTNING.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neo Rasa posted:

I like their :technobabble: reason for how he works too, the "aerodynamics" of his body and him being like the other ancient monsters with how they can consume electricity/radiation/etc. is what causes there to be lightning around him and stuff, but due to his aeons of being buried and compressed within the earth trace amounts of gold line his body makes him naturally conducive enough that he figured out he can spit "gold gravity beams" at people. I don't mind if poo poo is never explained but I appreciate the effort here a lot to justify A HUGE GOLDEN THREE HEADED DRAGON GOD THAT SPITS LIGHTNING.

The technobabble also notes that Mothra is so goddamn bioluminescent she can fire lasers from her wings.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Where can one find this technobabble?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Where can one find this technobabble?

http://www.monarchsciences.com/

For the last bits on each kaiju:

Sinistral posted:

The “official” way has not been found yet, but this reddit thread shows you how to get in anyway.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/905o9n/how_to_get_crimson_clearance_on_monarch_sciences/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And Ghidorah's origins are completely unknown compared to the speculation on the other monsters, implying he might not be from around here.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Thanks!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Ghidorah's origins are completely unknown compared to the speculation on the other monsters, implying he might not be from around here.

Coupled with the actress playing the ecoterrorist lady's actress saying that her character is a Monarch scientist who's built a device that lets her communicate with the kaiju, her stated motives of wanting to restore the natural order of the world, and the ARG's final bit on Ghidorah implying that Ghidorah might not be merely intelligent but sentient, my personal theory for the plot is that Ghidorah's been playing the ecoterrorist for a fool - in the name of restoring the natural order, the ecoterrorist will set free a planet-killing alien from the stars.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

The clearance code for Crimson (which was hidden in a tweet they did when they released the site) is 251720614

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cythereal posted:

Coupled with the actress playing the ecoterrorist lady's actress saying that her character is a Monarch scientist who's built a device that lets her communicate with the kaiju, her stated motives of wanting to restore the natural order of the world,

I was under the impression that she was abducted by the eco-terrorists and forced to make the statement in the trailer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I was under the impression that she was abducted by the eco-terrorists and forced to make the statement in the trailer.

Nah. The actress has said in interviews that her character boils down to "Everyone except her realizes what a terrible plan she has and just how badly this is going to go for the planet."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I hope she's not being duped and is actually ideologically aligned with King Ghidorah and the end of the world. More fun that way.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I hope she's actually two King Ghidoras in a trenchcoat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I hope she's actually three Dorats in a trenchcoat