Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/1039954136144392193

So they'll be doing a $300 trade in promo on new phones. No idea on what phones qualify yet.

I have an iPhone SE in my home that I was thinking of upgrading, but at an out the door price of $495.87 total with tax if the iPhone XR is part of it, no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hmm. If my 6s 64gb qualifies for $300, I might do that. Kinda doubt it will though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

nwin posted:

Hmm. If my 6s 64gb qualifies for $300, I might do that. Kinda doubt it will though.

Someone on Reddit said it was iPhone 6 or later after talking to a rep.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s a pretty good deal for older phones but poo poo for someone with something newer (8) like me.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Astro7x posted:

poo poo, I can trade my old 6S in and then sell my current 8 for cash and come out pretty nice :q:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My 7 has a scratch down the middle, anyone know if they give partial credit for damaged stuff or is it a flat reject?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quidthulhu posted:

My 7 has a scratch down the middle, anyone know if they give partial credit for damaged stuff or is it a flat reject?

I am actually in the same boat, my 8 has a 1" scratch.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Devices with cracked screens, water damage indicators, or Apple ID locks (or similar for other brands) are usually excluded from trade in, scratches / etc are fine.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
new iphones have band 71 heck yes

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Is an iPhone SE later than a 6? I forget when they came out.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

It's tiered: trading in a 7, 7+, or 8 gets you the full $300 promo, 6s or 6s+ is $200, other iPhones are $100. This is in addition to the trade in value based on exact phone model / etc (which usually isn't much).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

heffray posted:

It's tiered: trading in a 7, 7+, or 8 gets you the full $300 promo, 6s or 6s+ is $200, other iPhones are $100. This is in addition to the trade in value based on exact phone model / etc (which usually isn't much).

Well, $200 + trade in is probably worth more than my 64 gb 6s, so that’s cool.

Still might see if prices of the X drop at all. I might try and get an X on swappa or I’ll do the trade in for an Xr.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The current trade in promo doesn't apply to the XR, and no one knows what offers will exist next month for the cheaper phone :iiam:. The current deal is a little unusual in that it doesn't require a ONE plan.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

heffray posted:

The current trade in promo doesn't apply to the XR, and no one knows what offers will exist next month for the cheaper phone :iiam:. The current deal is a little unusual in that it doesn't require a ONE plan.

Interesting. I have no intention of buying the other two phones so I think I’ll wait and see promos for the Xr, and in the meantime I’ll see how ios12 works on my 6s while searching for deals on an X.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Really tempting to trade in my 7. Save $300 to spend $1000, those bastards.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s a pretty good deal for older phones but poo poo for someone with something newer (8) like me.

At what point are they going to have to start offering a better trade in deal on these $1,000+ phones?

I was doing the math just now... For those upgrading every year with an iPhone X style phone, you can pay $600/year for the iPhone Upgrade Program, or pay $700/year by trading your iPhone X in for $300 (not including tax, since it's a wash since you pay it on both full price sale or trade in promo). It seems ridiculous to not bump up the X to at least $400 to match what you'd get doing the iPhone Upgrade Program, though it makes the program ideal if you want a new phone each year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

At what point are they going to have to start offering a better trade in deal on these $1,000+ phones?

I was doing the math just now... For those upgrading every year with an iPhone X style phone, you can pay $600/year for the iPhone Upgrade Program, or pay $700/year by trading your iPhone X in for $300 (not including tax, since it's a wash since you pay it on both full price sale or trade in promo). It seems ridiculous to not bump up the X to at least $400 to match what you'd get doing the iPhone Upgrade Program, though it makes the program ideal if you want a new phone each year.

Or you could just easily sell your old phone yourself and get a lot more.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I know my AT&T iPhone 7 is missing band 66 and 71, is there going to be any major coverage issues versus a phone that has at least band 66? I was thinking about doing a BYOD Unlimited essentials

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I know my AT&T iPhone 7 is missing band 66 and 71, is there going to be any major coverage issues versus a phone that has at least band 66? I was thinking about doing a BYOD Unlimited essentials

Does it have Band 12?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mad Wack posted:

new iphones have band 71 heck yes

what dis

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

600mhz ("extended range LTE")

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

nimper posted:

Does it have Band 12?

The internet says that it supports the following:

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900, 1700/2100 MHz
LTE Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Question on the iPhone upgrade program. I am 12 months into my iPhone 8 equipment plan. Payments of $29.17 with $12.50 a month credits applied ($300 trade in). I understand if I turn it in my remaining balance of $348.96 is 'wiped' away, along with the remaining $150 in credits. If I were to upgrade to an Xs, would I be getting $0 credits or could I use the $300 trade-in on the iPhone 8? Think it'd be double counting, but doesn't seem like much of an incentive to upgrade then if I just move into a dog standard 24 month payment plan on $999.

Obviously it'd be better to just sell the iPhone third party in that event. Just want to make sure I understand the structure properly.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
In order to trade in the iPhone 8 at all for that promotion it has to be fully paid off, which yours is not. In your case, you'd just be doing a regular Jump, which would move you into the standard 24 month plan with no credits.

The promotions with bill credits are terrible because they lock you into whatever choice you make for two years if you want the full credit back. Too many people abused the mail in rebate system and ruined it for everyone else.

KKKLIP ART posted:

The internet says that it supports the following:

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900, 1700/2100 MHz
LTE Bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41

ATT and T-Mobile iPhone 7s are the same model. You have the same bands as though you'd purchased it at a T-Mobile store. Largely, 2, 4, and 12 are the ones that matter, so you're fine.

god I work for the company and I cringe at everything this guy does

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 16, 2018

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
One of my local stores called me about the promotion, and they said the credit is available as a monthly credit if you put the phone on a lease, and if you want to buy the phone outright you get a smaller credit.

Seems like the best deal is to still just buy the phone and sell your current phone, if you're able to front the cost for the new one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

In order to trade in the iPhone 8 at all for that promotion it has to be fully paid off, which yours is not. In your case, you'd just be doing a regular Jump, which would move you into the standard 24 month plan with no credits.

The promotions with bill credits are terrible because they lock you into whatever choice you make for two years if you want the full credit back. Too many people abused the mail in rebate system and ruined it for everyone else.

ATT and T-Mobile iPhone 7s are the same model. You have the same bands as though you'd purchased it at a T-Mobile store. Largely, 2, 4, and 12 are the ones that matter, so you're fine.

god I work for the company and I cringe at everything this guy does

Thanks for the info. What would happen if I bought a new phone third party and sold my existing 8. Credits would still come in, right?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
They would, but it would be kinda lovely for the guy you sold it to because he wouldn't be able to unlock it from T-Mobile until the 24 months is done.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

They would, but it would be kinda lovely for the guy you sold it to because he wouldn't be able to unlock it from T-Mobile until the 24 months is done.

Unless I spent the $2 on eBay to get it unlocked.

Appreciate the insight, not sure I'm going to do anything at this point anyway.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TraderStav posted:

Unless I spent the $2 on eBay to get it unlocked.

Appreciate the insight, not sure I'm going to do anything at this point anyway.

One more side note here, most reputable buy/sell sites require no outstanding financial commitment on phones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

One more side note here, most reputable buy/sell sites require no outstanding financial commitment on phones.

Sorry, I thought it went unsaid that I'd have cleared that commitment up. My mistake.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Any idea how long these trade in deals stick around? I'm probably going to pay off the rest of my EIP in the next month or so, since I have $180 left on my phone and my wife's each. Being able to turn around and trade both phones in for a $300 credit each is very tempting, but we just did $1200 worth of car repairs so that's not happening this paycheck.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Anyone tried updating the carrier settings on their iphones to shut off presidential alerts?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bentai posted:

Anyone tried updating the carrier settings on their iphones to shut off presidential alerts?

You can shut off those alerts on the phone itself, at least with iOS. I’m sure Android could do the same.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can shut off those alerts on the phone itself, at least with iOS. I’m sure Android could do the same.

I know you can turn off AMBER alerts, and extreme/severe threats, and the monthly test. I don' think you can turn off the presidential alert. At least, I don't have a toggle for it.

Lifehacker has a (useless) guide on how to attempt to avoid the alert. https://lifehacker.com/how-to-avoid-an-unblockable-presidential-alert-1829135000

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Protocol7 posted:

Any idea how long these trade in deals stick around? I'm probably going to pay off the rest of my EIP in the next month or so, since I have $180 left on my phone and my wife's each. Being able to turn around and trade both phones in for a $300 credit each is very tempting, but we just did $1200 worth of car repairs so that's not happening this paycheck.

No idea. We're never told when a promotion ends, which is the most annoying poo poo ever. I wouldn't be very surprised for it to not last past the preorder stage, though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
JoD just changed, and now the S9 (the phone I have) is almost $300 down instead of $0. I guess I don't care about keeping it any more, since 0 down payment was the reason I was on JoD. Is the Samsung upgrade program the best way to keep myself in the latest Galaxy now?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Daily Forecast posted:

No idea. We're never told when a promotion ends, which is the most annoying poo poo ever. I wouldn't be very surprised for it to not last past the preorder stage, though.

That's unfortunate. The going rate on Swappa for a 128GB iPhone 7 Plus is $400+, so that seems like the route to go anyway.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was planning on buying a used iPhone SE and :lol: they're seemingly extinct now since everyone bought them to trade in

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

EugeneJ posted:

I was planning on buying a used iPhone SE and :lol: they're seemingly extinct now since everyone bought them to trade in

I know it's probably not the answer you'd like, but after stopping in at an Apple Store tonight, they'll still have them in stores through tomorrow evening. As of Friday, they will be gone however. I know it's not a used thing, but it may still be an option for you. I hope you can still try to track one down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Maybe a dumb question, but is the free hour of in flight WiFi limited to one flight a day or anything weird? I normally just get direct flights for work, but I’ve got a multileg coming up.