Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

muckswirler posted:

why would you recycle li-poly batteries though? they're pretty low environmental impact and the materials are super abundant unless they're using vanadium or some exotic cocktail for some reason.

cobalt reclamation is the big one I think. they're like 2% lithium by mass so that's pretty much a fart in the wind unless its trivial to reclaim that as well as part of some other process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wolrah posted:

That's because the gas engines used in most hybrids are significantly different from those used in pure ICE vehicles. They're optimized for cruise efficiency while sacrificing off the line power because the EV part can make up for that. AFAIK the closest we've seen to a direct comparison would be the GM hybrid truck/SUV offerings which used the standard Vortec 5300 V8, but their EV part was pretty lovely.

If you stripped the EV bits from a normal hybrid and made it pure ICE using the exact same combustion engine and transmission I guarantee you'd end up with a vehicle that got slightly better mileage on the highway (from carrying less weight) but was worse to drive around town.

I know all that, and its the point I was trying to get at. Combat Theory was saying that the shittiest possible hybrid Implimentation that does almost nothing to play to an electric powertrain's strengths is not better than an ICE at highway. No loving poo poo. The whole point of hybrids is that you can use a smaller Atkinson cycle engine that is stupid efficient and let the batteries and electric motor torque act as the buffer for short power demands.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I know all that, and its the point I was trying to get at. Combat Theory was saying that the shittiest possible hybrid Implimentation that does almost nothing to play to an electric powertrain's strengths is not better than an ICE at highway. No loving poo poo. The whole point of hybrids is that you can use a smaller Atkinson cycle engine that is stupid efficient and let the batteries and electric motor torque act as the buffer for short power demands.

That's what the trend is at the moment, use the electrics for on demand power, then use a tiny gas engine for cruising when you only need what, 30-40 HP. With cars getting more aerodynamic, the amount of power needed is going to drop as well.

Basically, a small, turbo 1L 3 cylinder Atkinson cycle engine paired with a 50 HP electric motor would be enough to get you around town and on the freeway. Because you have the electric motor, which would also function as the starter, you can shut the gas engine off at stop lights and not worry about trashing your starter down the line.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

iospace posted:

That's what the trend is at the moment, use the electrics for on demand power, then use a tiny gas engine for cruising when you only need what, 30-40 HP. With cars getting more aerodynamic, the amount of power needed is going to drop as well.

Basically, a small, turbo 1L 3 cylinder Atkinson cycle engine paired with a 50 HP electric motor would be enough to get you around town and on the freeway. Because you have the electric motor, which would also function as the starter, you can shut the gas engine off at stop lights and not worry about trashing your starter down the line.

i was always worried about the constant start-stop cycles being bad on engine wear from lack of oil pressure while starting. i take it they fixed that issue somehow?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lonoxmont posted:

i was always worried about the constant start-stop cycles being bad on engine wear from lack of oil pressure while starting. i take it they fixed that issue somehow?

don't they have electric oil pumps? i know the prius (at least used to) have this thermos it pumps the oil into after you shut it off to keep it warm, i'm guessing they didn't add a completely separate oil pump just for that but lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Lonoxmont posted:

some have an electric oil pump, some use the electric motor to turn engine before ignition to reoil, other misc engineering to address

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Why don't they have stations where standardized battery packs get pulled in and out of trucks by machine, dropped off, charged, and picked up rather than making truckers wait to charge up

Because that would be a massively expensive and complicated process which also requires a lot of large dangerous equipment.

Also since the nature of large road battery packs is to be integral to the base chassis and otherwise as low as possible, what you'd really need is to remove the whole vehicle and swap it onto a different base, reconnecting all neccesary lines

Soricidus posted:

. you’re comparing that to petrol where you maybe stop for a 30 minute refreshment break every 200 miles.

See a doctor about your disastrous bowel situation and/or needlessly overcrowded and slow roadside fast food which may be causing the first.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Re CVTs doing super inefficient poo poo to feel "good and fun", Tesla off the line performance is just that to the nth degree

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
aren't CVTs more efficient though?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They are unless you set them up to deliberately do inefficient poo poo to mimic the feeling of shifting with a conventional transmission.

That was literally the entire point of the discussion about CVTs.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hailthefish posted:

They are unless you set them up to deliberately do inefficient poo poo to mimic the feeling of shifting with a conventional transmission.

oh, god. that's so dumb.

"MUH SHIFT POINTS! :qq:"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

men are so fragile that cars targeting them play fake engine sounds through the speakers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lonoxmont posted:

in addition to all the electric accessories previously mentioned, the engine being cranked by a 35hp starter motor gets it up to operating speed real quick too

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

men are so fragile that cars targeting them play fake engine sounds through the speakers

yeah but can you blame people growing up in a consumerist culture where corporations have invested in tying a sense of masculinity to cars :thunk:

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 14, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

YOSPOS: lol elon thinks he knows better than people who work in the car industry and endlessly bickers with them, that's a bad idea and part of why his business is failing

YOSPOS: think they know better than people who work in the car industry and endlessly bickers with them

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

YOSPOS: lol elon thinks he knows better than people who work in the car industry and endlessly bickers with them, that's a bad idea and part of why his business is failing

YOSPOS: think they know better than people who work in the car industry and endlessly bickers with them

we're not monstrously rich off the backs of slave labor and financial schemes so it's okay

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

good thing no one in yospos runs a car company

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

that guy works in the fossil fuel industry, not the car industry you rube. no poo poo he wants to convince you evs can't compete with guzzoline

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

oh, whoops. disregard my joke, then.

the "look at us doing the same stuff we make fun of others for doing" line still stands tho, YOSPOS is full of it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh, whoops. disregard my joke, then.

the "look at us doing the same stuff we make fun of others for doing" line still stands tho, YOSPOS is full of it

then maybe your best course is to leave

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Last Chance posted:

then maybe your best course is to leave

nah, i like it here thanks

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Nah, I'm just here for the wildly inconsistent South African accents. And to imply that Elon Musk is a car-fucker.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im skipping a lot of posts but I also work in the auto industry and basically everything that Combat Theory is saying is correct or at least how the current technology is going to go without some major battery technology breakthroughs. Then there is the added issue of dipshit urban Americans who insist on driving trucks and other large cars around tiny urban streets + rich people commuting from the suburbs in their high performance luxury vehicles

in Europe this will probably be less of a problem but there are outliers in places like Scandinavia where there are relatively large and urban cities that are 1000km from the next largest city (Tromsø comes to mind) and as CT said, having two cars in Europe isn't economical due to taxes

Maybe automotive companies will realize that mass transit is the only true solution :)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im skipping a lot of posts but I also work in the auto industry and basically everything that Combat Theory is saying is correct or at least how the current technology is going to go without some major battery technology breakthroughs. Then there is the added issue of dipshit urban Americans who insist on driving trucks and other large cars around tiny urban streets + rich people commuting from the suburbs in their high performance luxury vehicles

in Europe this will probably be less of a problem but there are outliers in places like Scandinavia where there are relatively large and urban cities that are 1000km from the next largest city (Tromsø comes to mind) and as CT said, having two cars in Europe isn't economical due to taxes

Maybe automotive companies will realize that mass transit is the only true solution :)

stealing hood ornaments with a pair of snips isn't "working in the auto industry".

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/ryanfelton/status/1040356946140979201

https://twitter.com/ryanfelton/status/1040357237364015111

https://twitter.com/ryanfelton/status/1040357550296846336

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Peeny Cheez posted:

Nah, I'm just here for the wildly inconsistent South African accents. And to imply that Elon Musk is a car-fucker.

grahms mah deek ees caght in thee taelpahpe

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep posted:

stealing hood ornaments with a pair of snips isn't "working in the auto industry".
Well, my industry involves working in autos. Does that count?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

iospace posted:

So how did tesla even get involved with I loving love science? I stopped following that place after it devolved into clickbait.

pls see the venn diagram of these and the oatmeal

efb

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

Peeny Cheez posted:

lewd

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Captain Foo posted:

it's an EV, there's no tailpipe

he's gotta gently caress the panel gaps

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what ever happened to that battery tech that was getting hyped that was carbon based and possibly something to do with buckyballs?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
was it in popular science?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Peeny Cheez posted:

Captain Foo posted:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

infernal machines posted:

was it in popular science?

gently caress

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

you ever hear of wannacry?

it was NotPetya

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what ever happened to that battery tech that was getting hyped that was carbon based and possibly something to do with buckyballs?

it exists only on magazine covers every 5 years

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo posted:

he likes to gently caress ice cars because shame is a component of his kink

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

stop backpedalling dipshit

i am quite sorry if my words offended you, i only get paid to design automotive powertrains, not to sell them to the public.

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you talking about small passenger cars, or OTR trucking? Diesel passenger cars are a loving footnote in the USA, I guarantee there's more hybrids than diesels among small passenger vehicles.

If you're talking about over the road trucking, then the diesels that you'er talking about are far, far more advanced than your piece of poo poo Peugeot or VW or Benz diesels and have all sorts of stuff like turbo compounding and 18-speed gearboxes.

i am quite in picture how truck powetrains work and yet the argument holds in both cases. adding a gearbox or a compound charger (which doesnt do much on a Turbo engine with non stochiometric combustion) does not alter the general question of hybridisation for the powetrain.

Here is the main consideration that makes hybrids a no go for extended highway use. an IC powertrain or hybrid that is not a plug in has to extract all its energy from the actual fuel and will ideally do so in the most economic manner possibe, aka the most efficient one. For internal Combustion engines, the most efficient energy extraction happens at the point of lowest specific fuel consumption (lowest g/kWh) which, in the main engine map, has an RPM and a mean effective pressure coordinate. for Petrol engines, this will be somewhere around 50% RPM and 80% Engine load (or 80% of the maximum MEP at the given RPM) for Diesel engines or fuel stratisfied Engine it will be closer towards 60% Engine Load.

The average travelling speed in the EU for a strict highway drive is around 100km/h and the maximul allowed velocity between 120 and 130 km/h (or in the case of germany, 130 km/h guidance speed) any modern petrol engine with at least 5 gears will run close to the RPM coordinate of the maximum efficency at those mean and maximum highway speed by design. The only option to increase the Engine efficiency would be to increase the engine load, since coasting at constant velocity only takes a fraction of the load that would be required to run the engine at the most efficient MEP.

Running a hybrid on the highway without a driver that drives like a 5 year old (i.e constantly accelerating and braking which is a very inefficient travel style in general) only allows for one logical mode of operation, which is Power Point Shifting. This means that the electric drivetrain will run in generator mode to charge the battery while increasing the vehicles efficiency by shifting the MEP closer to its optimum.

The efficiency that you gain between coasting efficiency and peak engine efficiency has to be large enough to compensate for the entire efficiency loss in your electric drivetrain in 2 ways, that means you have to gain enough efficiency to overcome generator losses, Rectifier losses, Battery charge losses, Battery discharge losses, inverter losses and electric motor losses.

The average gains for Power Point shifting are about 15-20 percent of relative efficiency and only on low highway speeds.
The average losses in an electric drivetrain are between 20-35 percent.

It does not take a math genius to see why this idea was discarded over 10 years ago and why long range vehicles are almost never hybridised.

Atkinson and Miller Gas Cycles are in no way limited to Hybrid IC designs. If you drive a BMW that is never than 2005, chances are you have a valvetronic head and your engine runs a heavy Miller Cycle, which is like a mirrored Atkinson and does pretty much the same for practical engine efficiency. If you have any Japanese car with variable valve timing and lift, it will be the same. The reason Toyota used Atkinson instead of a Miller Process was mostly for patent reason if i remember correctly.

The thing is that both Atkinson and Miller decrease Volumetric efficiency so it does not make sense to run either one at high engine Loads, which is where the actual peak efficiency of the Engine happens. Running a high power atkinson cycle means you have to build a bigger engine than a classic design to produce the same peak performance. the added mechanical losses will eat up your efficiency gains by the atkinson cycle, which also lower when running the engine at higher load since what you gain is mostly a compensation for negative pressure slope charging during the intake stroke.

E: and before anyone gets a heart attack yes i know atkinsons cycle war originally designed to harvest the energy that is usually puffed out as primary exhaust , but that only works in a theoretical perfect world and in fancy idealised diagrams. if you look at the actual pressure and volume curve of a real engine, youll quickly find the the added benefits of miller and atkinson cycles are the reduction of negative pressure slope losses during the intake

President Beep posted:

aren't CVTs more efficient though?

CVTs have a bad mechanical efficiency.

In a manual powertrain you lose no Power in the clutch, you lose about 1-2% per gear pair (so 2-4% in a 3 shaft transmission, 1-2% in a 2 shaft transmission and theoretically none in a 3 shaft transmission in direct gear). Plus a few % for bearings and seals. For the classic Manual you can safely attest 95% efficiency
a classic automatic transmission without an override clutch for the torque converter will usually sit at 91%. with an override clutch you can improve that close to manual efficiency.

CVT transmissions have significantly higher losses in the primary torque path and will yield, depending on design, about 86 % efficiency.
due to the Improvements in gear count for automatic transmissions, the benefits of having infintely adjustable transmission ratios becomes unimportant compared to the overall loss in efficiency when using a CVT.

There was a brief period however when CVTs and classic automatics competed in the premium sector. Also some Japanese Manufacturers keep them for prestige and heritage reasons.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 14, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he likes to gently caress ice cars because shame is a component of his kink

you mean beyond the part where he's loving a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hot take: you can take ludicrously oversized junkheaps like a "luxury" pickup or suv, pack the fool thing absolutely full of batteries to manage range, and the driver will never ever notice the vehicle can't tow or haul much of any load besides the passengers and some luggage, because they've never used that truck bed/trailer hitch/etc in their lives.