Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boywhiz88 posted:

On the subject of extras, the Alien Quadrilogy is still my favorite. I never really got into any DVDs or collections like I did that one. Every night of winter break was a different disc of extras.

What are some of your favorite extras from a movie(s)?

That one. The story of Alien is incredible and I love how it's basically Dan O'Bannon's journey all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boywhiz88 posted:

On the subject of extras, the Alien Quadrilogy is still my favorite. I never really got into any DVDs or collections like I did that one. Every night of winter break was a different disc of extras.

This is Spinal Tap. I still haven't upgraded to blu-ray but the DVD extras on that are almost as good as the movie. There's all kinds of goofy poo poo mostly involving fake commericals and music videos and stuff. Even the menu is fun. Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Df8YEBpgg

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Isn’t there a commentary for Spinal Tap with all the cast in character?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t there a commentary for Spinal Tap with all the cast in character?

Yup. There's also about three hours of deleted scenes on the Criterion DVD.

I think there might be more than one commentary in character because due to some hosed up contracts the actors have to produce work as Spinal Tap to maintain ownership of the characters.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Yup. There's also about three hours of deleted scenes on the Criterion DVD.

I think there might be more than one commentary in character because due to some hosed up contracts the actors have to produce work as Spinal Tap to maintain ownership of the characters.

With the exception of one thing (it may have been a commentary track, I can't recall) everything from the Criterion DVD appeared later on the MGM release.

edit: Never mind, I'm pretty sure it was Spinal Tap: the Final Tour, which was a sort of short demo version of the movie they used to sell the concept to the studio. I happened to find a copy of the Criterion release in a thrift store for three dollars a couple years ago.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 13, 2018

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

That’s gotta be coming back to Criterion soon. They’ve been going hard on the Blu Ray reissues lately and that one has to be a highly requested one along with Robocop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

That’s gotta be coming back to Criterion soon. They’ve been going hard on the Blu Ray reissues lately and that one has to be a highly requested one along with Robocop.

That's what people have been whispering about for a couple of years, especially since they announced some of the old DVD catalog stuff like The Silence of the Lambs. However, I guess there's some kind of rights issues involved with the movie so I'm not holding my breath. Equally in the "not holding my breath" category would be any release of the movie that includes this first appearance of Spinal Tap on some sketch show Rob Reiner had in the late 70s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzuxUSab_7c

There's also a longer alternate version of the cheese rolling trailer that appears to have been made to solicit the film to theaters or something. It also has never been included on a video release of the movie as far as I know. I could be wrong though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIk6ekYCSv8

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My grandfather was one of the salesman in Salesman, so hoping that one gets reissued on blu. I never met my grandfather so it’d be cool to see him in high res :shrug: it would probably make my mom cry though lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome announced their October lineup

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

October is a BIG and BLOODY month for us!
As some of you internet dwellers might have already seen, our October lineup has been informally announced…and as of right now, they're up for pre-order at VinegarSyndrome.com!

If you're a fan of a) throat slashings, b) black gloved killers, c) Tiny Tim, or d) Wisconsin*, then you'll have to get Bill Rebane's BLOOD HARVEST, the third and final entry in the unofficial Wisconsin-shot 'Blood' titled slasher trilogy (with BLOOD BEAT and BLOOD HOOK coming before it), all of which we've now released on Blu. Coincidence? Or is it. Regardless, this gruesome regional gem makes its legal disc debut and is also uncut for the first time in the states since its 80s VHS release! We've also performed a new 4k restoration from the freshly discovered camera neg!

John Hough is one of 70s and 80s horror's most unsung auteurs, but no film in his lengthy career is more unsettling than his 1981 semi-slasher, THE INCUBUS, starring the great John Cassavetes as a small town doctor having to deal with a series of unexplained and vicious killings. This movie is gory, grim, and way overdue for a Blu-ray release. But luckily, you don't need to wait any longer! Our special edition sports a brand new 4k restoration of the best surviving elements as well as interviews with key talent.

Before the serial killer craze of the 80s, director Curtis Harrington crafted one of the most memorable studies in budding psychosis ever committed to film, THE KILLING KIND. Starring a pre-Deer Hunter John Savage as a deranged young man with a mommy fetish wandering around gloomy LA terrorizing and murdering various unfortunate women, this is an unassumingly complex examination of a serial killer in training. Rescued from the depths of the Texas oil industry (sorta), we're pleased to be giving it its Blu-ray debut in a new 2k restoration.

Finally, a wholly unique mix of sincere religious subtext, supernatural sex killings, hip hop, and arthouse visuals, writer/director/producer/star James Bond III's DEF BY TEMPTATION is a blaxploitation horror film that's decidedly not blaxploitation. What it is, however, is a mystical and at times beautiful genre film oddity made by a former child star and photographed by Ernest Dickerson, who remains one of the finest cinematographers of the past quarter century. Our Blu presents it newly restored from its camera negative and featuring a feature length audio interview with its elusive creator.

Then, on DVD, a thoroughly stupefying regional sex-filed horror/comedy, THE BRIDE'S INITIATION. It's about Dracula living in Miami, with a witch making him youth serum cocktails while he entertains himself with various female slaves, until he falls in love with Carol Connors. Like nothing else you‘ve seen, and like nothing you‘ll see again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Maybe bit late but here's how I do it for my collection.

Every single video game I buy now is digital. Xbox, Nintendo, Sony. Even if a game is delisted from a store, you can still re-download it and consoles can be kept offline.

Yet I still buy physical movies. It's usually cheaper than buying digital, you never have to worry about the storefront and you can lend it out or take it to friends. Also the bit rate of a blu ray or especially a 4k disc is so much better than the HD download.

Pretty sure there's a ton of people that also buy just digital songs or streaming as well. But there's no movie or TV streaming service that's as comprehensive as Spotify.

So yes, physical still always wins for movies and TV shows and I don't see that changing for a long while.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

My grandfather was one of the salesman in Salesman, so hoping that one gets reissued on blu. I never met my grandfather so it’d be cool to see him in high res :shrug: it would probably make my mom cry though lol

Nice. Watched this recently for a pilot I'm writing, it's pretty amazing stuff.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome announced their October lineup

Def by Temptation sounds really interesting, I'll be picking that up for sure. Everything else sounds cool too, I've never gotten their monthly package before but I'm considering it for this one.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Ineffiable posted:

Maybe bit late but here's how I do it for my collection.

Every single video game I buy now is digital. Xbox, Nintendo, Sony. Even if a game is delisted from a store, you can still re-download it and consoles can be kept offline.

Yet I still buy physical movies. It's usually cheaper than buying digital, you never have to worry about the storefront and you can lend it out or take it to friends. Also the bit rate of a blu ray or especially a 4k disc is so much better than the HD download.

Pretty sure there's a ton of people that also buy just digital songs or streaming as well. But there's no movie or TV streaming service that's as comprehensive as Spotify.

So yes, physical still always wins for movies and TV shows and I don't see that changing for a long while.

Yeah, I have no problem with streaming music. They all have 95+ percent of what I want to listen to, whereas I can spend 15 minutes browsing through Netflix and not find a single thing I want to watch. Plus the quality is so much better by comparison. Tidal hi-fi has everything lossless and even some stuff in HD audio that's higher quality than you can get physically.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Spider-Man: Homecoming: 3TEU 01WN 81X4 SDD4

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 13, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 3TEU 01WN 81X4 SDD4

Thanks!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's awesome. I love Salesman.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe2Uoi9Cx-E

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Boywhiz88 posted:

The original Criterion DVD of RoboCop had Paul M. Sammon's "Shooting RoboCop" article from Cinefex 32 on it, but with the addition of behind-the-scenes footage alongside the text.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They captured it so well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gey muckle mowser posted:

Def by Temptation sounds really interesting, I'll be picking that up for sure. Everything else sounds cool too, I've never gotten their monthly package before but I'm considering it for this one.

Def by Temptation is really, really good. I'm honestly surprised it's a VS release, I kind of thought most of what they did was rare and obscure stuff and I was under the impression that was a fairly well-known movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Watching a VHS bootleg of The Keep, the quality is atrocious though. Is there any better version avaliable?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Watching a VHS bootleg of The Keep, the quality is atrocious though. Is there any better version avaliable?

Unfortunately not, at least not that I've found. It's one of those movies that's never had a decent physical release and the version that's available on Amazon streaming is not good either. I still recommend watching it though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Unfortunately not, at least not that I've found. It's one of those movies that's never had a decent physical release and the version that's available on Amazon streaming is not good either. I still recommend watching it though.

I remember the quality of the version that was on Netflix years ago not being great either.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Surely someone out there would have a print.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino was going to release it, but the rights were blocked at the last minute. Allegedly, it’s Michael Mann not wanting the film in circulation.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Kino was going to release it, but the rights were blocked at the last minute. Allegedly, it’s Michael Mann not wanting the film in circulation.

Yeah, Michael Mann in several interviews has said that "The Keep" will never see a release nowadays. Too many bad memories making the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just don't get it, and I don't agree with a filmmaker going out of their way to withhold their own previously released work from the public but whatever, it's his right.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I just don't get it, and I don't agree with a filmmaker going out of their way to withhold their own previously released work from the public but whatever, it's his right.
Sucks though because filmmaking is a collaborative effort. So other people involved who might feel differently have to deal with their work being out of print, and getting hosed out of the residuals.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The released version of the Keep was heavily interfered with by the studio so the movie doesn't really represent his vision. The director's cut is about double the length of the theatrical version.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

The released version of the Keep was heavily interfered with by the studio so the movie doesn't really represent his vision. The director's cut is about double the length of the theatrical version.

Yeah it shows too. Massive jumps all over the place.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah it shows too. Massive jumps all over the place.

For sure. That said I'm not sure if I would want to see an almost four hour version of that movie. As much as I know the released version was hacked to bits I get the feeling that the director's cut is probably a boring slog based on what I have seen.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CPL593H posted:

For sure. That said I'm not sure if I would want to see an almost four hour version of that movie. As much as I know the released version was hacked to bits I get the feeling that the director's cut is probably a boring slog based on what I have seen.

Which is a shame, there's probably a good 2&1/2 hour film in there. I mostly just wanted to see the production design.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Mandy Blu-ray is available for preorder on Amazon for $14.99. Release date October 30.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Spatulater bro! posted:

The Mandy Blu-ray is available for preorder on Amazon for $14.99. Release date October 30.

I'm seeing it Friday night locally but I'm honestly thinking of preordering it anyway because it looks loving batshit good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I, Butthole posted:

I'm seeing it Friday night locally but I'm honestly thinking of preordering it anyway because it looks loving batshit good.

I prordered it before seeing it earlier today. I regret nothing. If you liked the trailer, you'll love the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I almost never buy movies on Blu-Ray anymore, but I saw Mandy in theaters earlier and it absolutely deserves to be one I make an exception for. Goddamn, that movie.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I don't usually pre-order but I feel like Kino Lorber deserves my money for bothering to restore the Kolchak movies.

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-night-stalker-special-edition-blu-ray
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-night-strangler-special-edition-blu-ray

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I almost never buy movies on Blu-Ray anymore, but I saw Mandy in theaters earlier and it absolutely deserves to be one I make an exception for. Goddamn, that movie.

I'm praying for some great special features. At the very least a director's commentary.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm praying for some great special features. At the very least a director's commentary.

The slipcover has a hidden tab of acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CRAYON posted:

The slipcover has a hidden tab of acid.

$14.99 is an even better deal than I thought!