Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gregday
May 23, 2003

Modern Buckles are smaller watch only? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

gregday posted:

Modern Buckles are smaller watch only? :(

Yerp. “For (average proportioned) women only” which seems kinda lovely from a company that positions itself on the vanguard of social progressivism.

Then again, they also censored this summer’s pride flag background in Russia so...

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I'm not sure selling a Pride band is a strong sign that it "positions itself on the vanguard of social progressivism" any more than people changing their Facebook profile photo temporarily to have a rainbow backdrop are.

As you point out the fact it was removed for Russia shows the limitations of this solidarity begin and end with the financial bottom line.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Yaaaaagh. I’m getting some cold feet especially since this iPhone 7 Plus is quite alright but especially with iOS 12

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Durzel posted:

I'm not sure selling a Pride band is a strong sign that it "positions itself on the vanguard of social progressivism" any more than people changing their Facebook profile photo temporarily to have a rainbow backdrop are.

Agreed. What I meant more is that a perception of progressivism and iconoclasm is integral to Apple’s brand in the same way that aspiration and “premium-ness” are. They talk up their bona fides but Tim’s also happy to have Paul Ryan over for dinner or stump for a photo every now and then with our dipshit President.

Coffee Jones posted:

Yaaaaagh. I’m getting some cold feet especially since this iPhone 7 Plus is quite alright but especially with iOS 12

Then wait a while. I’m perfectly happy with the refurb 6S that I traded my old 6 in for last year.

The XS will be around for the next year and an *even better* phone will replace it after that.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 14, 2018

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Edward Mass posted:

Looks like I'm keeping my 6 for another year.

They call the SoC Bionic, same as last year, so guessing this is all about a process improvement to 7nm instead of an outright new design which should come next year.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Durzel posted:

As you point out the fact it was removed for Russia shows the limitations of this solidarity begin and end with the financial bottom line.

I mean according to wikipedia (so caveat emptor) 74% of Russians said gays shouldn't be accepted in society in 2013, an increase from 60% in 2002. In 2007 68% of Russians said being gay was wrong. Crimes against gay people are not considered hate crimes. There was a lot of talk about being gay and the World Cup this year. In 2013 a federal law was passed outlawing gay "propaganda" which is probably defined as "anything I don't like." Considering Tim introduced the rainbow band/face in support of the LGBT community they probably count as propaganda.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is Apple was probably forced to remove it and if not it seems awfully dangerous to flagrantly advertise on your wrist that you're gay or support LGBT rights in a country that hates gays.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean according to wikipedia (so caveat emptor) 74% of Russians said gays shouldn't be accepted in society in 2013, an increase from 60% in 2002. In 2007 68% of Russians said being gay was wrong. Crimes against gay people are not considered hate crimes. There was a lot of talk about being gay and the World Cup this year. In 2013 a federal law was passed outlawing gay "propaganda" which is probably defined as "anything I don't like." Considering Tim introduced the rainbow band/face in support of the LGBT community they probably count as propaganda.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is Apple was probably forced to remove it and if not it seems awfully dangerous to flagrantly advertise on your wrist that you're gay or support LGBT rights in a country that hates gays.

I concur, but it leaves the same sort of impression that a lot of these companies’ (Apple, Google, etc) behavior regarding China does. Like, of course it comes straight from Putin- not only with everything that you’ve mentioned but also the violently repressive state/military/law enforcement treatment of gay people. I don’t know that Apple could do anything else in this case and still do business in Russia, but often I wish that the response from companies like Apple and Google would be to simply not do business in repressive regimes in that case.

And to be frank- given the known extent of ongoing Russian cyberwarfare against the US and its European allies at this point- if the US Executive had any shred of sense or legitimacy (ie, not owing Russia a massive favor for getting them to the White House/piss tape kompromat/widespread Russian connections within the US and European conservative sphere) they’d ban any American tech company from doing business there on top of all of the sanctions. If we blocked business with Cuba and treated them like a rogue state for half a century over their communism and relationship with the USSR we can stop Microsoft, et al. from doing business in a country that carried out what amounts to an act of war against us and continues to devote significant resources to doing so for the purposes of destabilizing our country, on top of the litany of human rights and international policy violations.

Too bad ~30% of Americans + half of Congress and the entire White House think Russia’s awesome for saving us from Hillary. :shrug:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apple could take a stand a not sell their products in Russia if they felt strongly about it? An extreme measure, and they'd take a financial hit, but it seems disingenuous to quietly remove something you're supposedly behind because not removing might make things a bit difficult for you in that country, or eat into your bottom line.

What I guess I'm saying is that Apple's LGBT support is tokenistic because it only extends to where it is safe and financially prudent for them to do so. Apple of all companies, with the market cap they have, have the power to take a real stand.

Also to the wider point of danger - sure it would be dangerous for people to wear a Pride band on their wrist in Russia, or at least more so than most countries, but standing up for what you belief in often is dangerous. You can't stop being LGBT in your essence because your government doesn't agree with it.

I don't really expect Apple to be some kind of vanguard for LGBT rights though. It would be nice if they were, but they clearly aren't that way inclined.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Durzel posted:

Also to the wider point of danger - sure it would be dangerous for people to wear a Pride band on their wrist in Russia, or at least more so than most countries, but standing up for what you belief in often is dangerous. You can't stop being LGBT in your essence because your government doesn't agree with it.

1) It seems like even selling the band or including the background in an update would’ve been illegal from the get-go, so Apple’s choice was either to not do business there or not bring those things to Russia. There was no scenario where they could just go in and sell the bands/feature the background without breaking the law.

2) Encouraging people to stand up for their humanity and rights is all well and good but when thousands of people are being tortured, imprisoned, killed, and even chemically castrated in Russia for being gay (and that’s just by the state, it’s not counting all of the extra-judicial reprisals that the public are encouraged to partake in) it’s not exactly great to just be like “well poo poo’s hard but people gotta fight for their rights man” for the same reason that outing somebody against their will is a supremely lovely thing to do.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Durzel posted:

Apple could take a stand a not sell their products in Russia if they felt strongly about it? An extreme measure, and they'd take a financial hit, but it seems disingenuous to quietly remove something you're supposedly behind because not removing might make things a bit difficult for you in that country, or eat into your bottom line.

What I guess I'm saying is that Apple's LGBT support is tokenistic because it only extends to where it is safe and financially prudent for them to do so. Apple of all companies, with the market cap they have, have the power to take a real stand.

I don't really expect Apple to be some kind of vanguard for LGBT rights though. It would be nice if they were, but they clearly aren't that way inclined.

It's a business and as such they're going to do what nets them the most money. The way I see it all these companies are scrambling to appeal/advertise/accept the LGBT market because it's insanely profitable to do so, honestly if it weren't we probably wouldn't have these pride bands...

I'm cynical AF but you're a fool if you think a multinational corp really gives a poo poo about you or the values you hold close.

blah blah blah Corporations are amoral - lets please change the subject.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Fair points well made. :)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bob Morales posted:

What's the big deal with delaying AirPower? How hard is it to 'tape some charging pads together'?

Apple can’t do anything simple and functional, they have to chintz it up with a stupid form factor and add some lock-in; they refuse to just release something using the established Qi standard, but can’t make it work.

Same situation with the MacPro - they’ve taken multiple years to (not) release a workstation with commodity PC components, which everyone would be fine with, while they look for some way to make it different.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If Apple was less dumb they’d update the Touch mildly and then flog them hard at the education market. There’s a ton of classroom stuff where the iPad gets the crap kicked out of it by Chromebooks but something the size of the Touch would be perfect.

What educational need does what’s effectively a WiFi only smartphone fill? A chromebook is way cheaper, allows typing reports and use of any web based software. I can’t see the comparison.

EpicNemesis posted:

3D Touch is a requirement for me so I can easily move the cursor around while typing. I hate not being able to do this on my iPad.

Hmm - just checking, you know you can do the same thing on iPad by scrolling with 2 fingers on the keyboard right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wooger posted:

What educational need does what’s effectively a WiFi only smartphone fill? A chromebook is way cheaper, allows typing reports and use of any web based software. I can’t see the comparison.

As a former middle school science teacher and academic adviser who has done curriculum building and “tech based teaching” with a partner who currently teaches high school science and SpEd, I can think of like a million good uses for a small, cheap, WiFi-only smartphone/pocket computer with a robust software ecosystem and lots of sensors and gizmos. Chromebooks are great too and I’ve used them in the classroom extensively but they’re totally different beasts. There are a lot of applications for where something small like a Touch would be super useful. Basically 80% of what Apple is trying to encourage teachers to use the iPad for could be done just as well or, often, much better and more flexibly with something like a modernized iPod Touch.

For starters they can be used to make films and art/multimedia projects in ways that Chromebooks are clunky for. You can network them and use them to do stuff that often requires special equipment- even something as simple as iclicker-style classroom response stuff, and be flexible and creative about it. If Apple wanted to take a blow at TI’s calculator monopoly, they could advertise existing/help make better graphing calculator and science apps. This would be especially cool if they incorporated some VRkit-capable hardware and allowed kids to use them for stuff like data collection or measurement. The same goes for the hardware already there (accelerometer, etc). It would be especially helpful if Apple created an easy application builder for teachers to put together lesson-specific or novel apps for their own use. I feel like there’d be a lot of potential with it.

Also- kind of a digression, but you’d be surprised at the number of (predominantly low income) families that have a bunch of smartphones as the exclusive computing platform in the house. I got many papers and even PowerPoint presentations that were made on phones.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As a former middle school science teacher and academic adviser who has done curriculum building and “tech based teaching” with a partner who currently teaches high school science and SpEd, I can think of like a million good uses for a small, cheap, WiFi-only smartphone/pocket computer with a robust software ecosystem and lots of sensors and gizmos. Chromebooks are great too and I’ve used them in the classroom extensively but they’re totally different beasts. There are a lot of applications for where something small like a Touch would be super useful. Basically 80% of what Apple is trying to encourage teachers to use the iPad for could be done just as well or, often, much better and more flexibly with something like a modernized iPod Touch.

For starters they can be used to make films and art/multimedia projects in ways that Chromebooks are clunky for. You can network them and use them to do stuff that often requires special equipment- even something as simple as iclicker-style classroom response stuff, and be flexible and creative about it. If Apple wanted to take a blow at TI’s calculator monopoly, they could advertise existing/help make better graphing calculator and science apps. This would be especially cool if they incorporated some VRkit-capable hardware and allowed kids to use them for stuff like data collection or measurement. The same goes for the hardware already there (accelerometer, etc). It would be especially helpful if Apple created an easy application builder for teachers to put together lesson-specific or novel apps for their own use. I feel like there’d be a lot of potential with it.

Also- kind of a digression, but you’d be surprised at the number of (predominantly low income) families that have a bunch of smartphones as the exclusive computing platform in the house. I got many papers and even PowerPoint presentations that were made on phones.

Yeah I've noticed that a lot of people are exclusively using their smartphones these days. For a lot of people a computer doesn't really add a lot of utility to their lives now that they can do pretty much everything from their smartphone.

Also I remember being really frustrated in college that I had to spend $100 or whatever on an iClicker because it felt so unnecessary and tacked on. At the time I just thought it was a product that was designed to just milk money out of educational institutions/students while providing no real educational benefit. Maybe I'm just really cynical but there's a reason most college kids draw a d on the remote so it say DiCLicker.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Proprietary, high barrier of entry for apps (including needing a Mac to do anything useful), and really expensive. Every use case you mention just seems like a gimmick.

Chromebook is $200, secure, easy to manage and has access to the web. That should be enough for any sane lessons, online course material, or god forbid actually doing work.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
And this is just proof that 6+/6S+ was peak iPhone. I’ll continue buying refurb 6S+ replacements off Swappa until I can no longer get software updates. My kingdom for a headphone jack :argh:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I am genuinely baffled at how the percentages and the size of the pie slices interact here.

edit: source https://medium.com/@AppInventiv/android-vs-ios-which-platform-is-more-secure-in-2018-33b3108270d

Its not the only baffling infographic on that page too

duck monster fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 22, 2018

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Aunt Beth posted:

And this is just proof that 6+/6S+ was peak iPhone. I’ll continue buying refurb 6S+ replacements off Swappa until I can no longer get software updates. My kingdom for a headphone jack :argh:
You mistyped iPhone SE there

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

duck monster posted:

I am genuinely baffled at how the percentages and the size of the pie slices interact here.

edit: source https://medium.com/@AppInventiv/android-vs-ios-which-platform-is-more-secure-in-2018-33b3108270d

Its not the only baffling infographic on that page too

I’m not at all. I think we all tend to forget that we are not representative of the “average” or “normal” tech user. Remember that the average person has a “well it works so why do anything” mindset regarding OS updates which is why Microsoft does everything they can to shove Windows updates into computers now because they know the average person will never install updates otherwise.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m not at all. I think we all tend to forget that we are not representative of the “average” or “normal” tech user. Remember that the average person has a “well it works so why do anything” mindset regarding OS updates which is why Microsoft does everything they can to shove Windows updates into computers now because they know the average person will never install updates otherwise.

I think he’s baffling by the lovely, confusing graphs rather than the installed %s by version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

There’s no scale to them, it’s just even increment percentage of the largest radius I.e: in the left-hand example there’s 0.33R, 0.67R and 1.0R. They’re not scaled to each other in any way.

• Locked thread