Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Last one is terrifyingly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Not even a chuckle.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

New Wave Jose posted:

Not even a chuckle.

stfu

the best are the completely inexplicable ones, tho

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

:allears:
I love everything about this.
Especially the desktops w/ CRTs on each student's desk.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
... what? That's something I'd say if I was pretending to have a head injury and wanted to scare a doctor.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's always great to witness someone's first CompuToon :allears:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I'm convinced that Boyce had a stroke 20 years ago, and nobody's had the heart to tell him.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

the dude who writes compu-toons is a total sweetheart so keep on keepin' on, Boyce.

I hope there's someone out there who's entire understanding of the "Tech World" begins and ends with compu-toons.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

the computer is processing his profile so hard that it's shaking

ultrafilter posted:

never stop posting compu-toons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

finalellipsis posted:

the computer is processing his profile so hard that it's shaking

smdh, dont you know that in boyce-land, all computers are shaking

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

It looks like he pulled his couch up to his desk and is sitting on the armrest. He is also both bald and has a mohawk. That computer has a lot to process, so no wonder it's shaking.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sunswipe posted:

... what? That's something I'd say if I was pretending to have a head injury and wanted to scare a doctor.

Computoons is written by an elderly man who heard everyone talking about how the future would be all about computers in the 90s but never bothered to learn anything about them.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Here is Charles Boyce from 2014, speaking about "The Keypad Kid", a "Mascot for bridging the digital divide":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uho-fDvvZ8Y

Seems like a nice enough fellow. I love that the contact email is computoon1@aol.com.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a lot of email adresses used to have a number at the end, so his does too even if it wasnt necessary

its sweet in a way, i think

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I bet his Netscape Navigator browser is absolutely thicc with malware toolbars.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Too lazy to do the whole thing, but wanted to see if this would look better like this, and it does.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

'Over explaining the joke' is such a common thing I hardly even moan about it online anymore. What a shame.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

danger close to pbf territory

show it to someone who hasnt seen the original

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gromit posted:

Too lazy to do the whole thing, but wanted to see if this would look better like this, and it does.

It's a different joke now

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Zelder posted:

It's a different joke now

How do you get that? The joke in both of them is just a subversion on your expectations of what 'good cop/bad cop' means, one is just 12 panels longer to expound on the same joke.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agent355 posted:

How do you get that? The joke in both of them is just a subversion on your expectations of what 'good cop/bad cop' means, one is just 12 panels longer to expound on the same joke.

The longer one has two jokes. The first is what you said, and the second is that their idea of good/bad cop actually works.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thats not really a joke, it's just a random thing. There's no subversion or anything, it's superfluous to the actual joke.

It's empty calorie humor and the comic is better without it. It's all about 'dat brevity.

The 12 panels after the initial 4 don't really make the joke much funnier, they add something, it's not entirely wasted space, but the amount of humor they add doesn't validate their existance. It's like joke density or something. Not to mention explaining the joke makes jokes less funny and the shortened version of it requires the reader to think a bit which ultimately results in a better punchline in less space.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Sep 15, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

original: cops => dogs but also dragging the punchline + surprising reversal.
remake: cops => dogs but nothing else, that's it, one of the cops acts like a dog in a vacuum.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

someone replace that parrot avatar with a dog, its funny

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gromit moved the eyes onto the faces. They weren't trying to say the comic was too long. That's why they said they were "too lazy to do the whole thing". They just didn't like the eyes hanging in mid-air.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Gromit moved the eyes onto the faces. They weren't trying to say the comic was too long. That's why they said they were "too lazy to do the whole thing". They just didn't like the eyes hanging in mid-air.

True, and it does look better, but I stand by my assertion that the joke is better when it's not being dragged out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

your version doesnt have mid-air eyes though

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’ve never seen anyone use so many words and posts to say “I didn’t like that joke.” And I’ve been posting on this dumbass forum for years, so that’s saying something.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ariong posted:

I’ve never seen anyone use so many words and posts to say “I didn’t like that joke.” And I’ve been posting on this dumbass forum for years, so that’s saying something.

well buckle in im gonna get into the real weird details blah blah

for the record i like both jokes, still theyre different jokes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tiggum posted:

Hooray! I was worried for a minute there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now that's a PBF moment.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Agent355 posted:

The 12 panels after the initial 4 don't really make the joke much funnier, they add something, it's not entirely wasted space, but the amount of humor they add doesn't validate their existance. It's like joke density or something. Not to mention explaining the joke makes jokes less funny and the shortened version of it requires the reader to think a bit which ultimately results in a better punchline in less space.

Yes 12 panels is too long, but the edit only works because you know the punchline. On it's own the edit is "Why does the police chief have a baseball in his mouth? He's intimidating the subject by being crazy and terrible at his job, a really bad cop." which is slightly funnier but awkward. To tell the joke in 4-panels, panel 3 would show the 2nd cop looking threatening, and in panel 4 the ball would be a tennis ball instead of a baseball, to make it obvious that it is for playing fetch without having to demonstrate it over several panels.

I didn't even notice the eyes being moved back, because those wandering eyes add nothing and are simply distracting.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Syd Midnight posted:

Yes 12 panels is too long, but the edit only works because you know the punchline. On it's own the edit is "Why does the police chief have a baseball in his mouth? He's intimidating the subject by being crazy and terrible at his job, a really bad cop." which is slightly funnier but awkward. To tell the joke in 4-panels, panel 3 would show the 2nd cop looking threatening, and in panel 4 the ball would be a tennis ball instead of a baseball, to make it obvious that it is for playing fetch without having to demonstrate it over several panels.

I didn't even notice the eyes being moved back, because those wandering eyes add nothing and are simply distracting.

I'd go for a newspaper or slippers, personally.

I'm normally a fan of brevity, but I think the 12 panels all do work in showing the suspect's nonplussedness, you need those confusion beats for the comedy to work. I think you could tell the joke in less panels, but you'd have to totally rewrite it.

Man, this is reminding me I've still not read How to Read Nancy, which is an entire book of dissecting and massively overthinking a gag strip.

Chirk Manbote
Apr 19, 2012

Oh cool thanks for breaking my heart

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I skipped over the original and only saw the edit, and the edit is better

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.

lofi posted:

Man, this is reminding me I've still not read How to Read Nancy, which is an entire book of dissecting and massively overthinking a gag strip.

I read the article and this bit really tickled me:

“the article” posted:

Unfortunately, this relative also saw gold. He wasn’t interested in sharing this image with us. On this single subject over two dozen emails were traded over the course of six months. The young man finally laid HIS card on the table: He was only willing to trade us the press card for ten Morgan Silver Dollars, or two Five-Dollar Gold Indian Heads (rare U.S. coins easily totaling $1,289.47 or more at the time, retail, depending on condition).

We tried to get him to understand that all we needed was a decent scan of the press card. We tried to explain that Ernie Bushmiller’s 1928 New York World press card was of virtually no value to anyone on earth except us. We tried to explain that we did not possess ten Morgan Silver Dollars, nor two Five-Dollar Gold Indian Heads, knew of no one who did—nor had that sort of “petty cash” fund to invest in such things, if we did. We tried to explain that our publisher would laugh at such a request. We even went so far as to scare up a sympathetic, well-heeled Nancy collector (a mensch if there ever was one) willing to cough up $600 to help us out.

Nope, nope, nope, nope and nope. It was ten Morgan Silver Dollars, or two Five-Dollar Gold Indian Heads, or nothing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Randaconda posted:

Deathbulge is so good

My favorite is the Royal Rumble one.

EDIT: found it

I legit want a foam finger ghost saying "BOO!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Concrete Keith is a bomb rear end username, on par with Shithouse Dave, and his friend Normal Dave, who used to be called Fuckup Dave but later did something so awesome he got promoted to Normal Dave.