Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like that's probably a pretty good move? Maybe I'm being pessimistic in imaging the types of scripts we'd get otherwise, but I feel like it's probably a better move that the Doctor's gender does not matter for her Jodie's first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that's legit. That avoids any stupid predetermined fairer sex bullshit.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

There seems to be an error in your post. I fixed it though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Although it’s going to be odd that everyone refers to Jodie as “he”. :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I want her to meet Kate Lethbridge.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm kind of over Kate. And of she pops up we run the risk of Osgoods showing up again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

I'm kind of over Kate. And of she pops up we run the risk of Osgoods showing up again.

Oh no?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh heavens, what ever will we do if the only good thign about the Zygon two-parter returns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're awful!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/spankybackpack/status/1040671584732766208

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Apparently, the scripts for series 11 were written for a male doctor, as Chibnall didn't tell the writers he was actually casting Jodie Whittaker.

I'm not sure if this was necessarily the best approach to take (though it certainly helped minimize the leaks), but it most likely means that 13th Doctor's gender won't come up much if at all during the season.

Though it will make the scene where she passionately makes out with a man feel like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Apparently, the scripts for series 11 were written for a male doctor, as Chibnall didn't tell the writers he was actually casting Jodie Whittaker.

I'm not sure if this was necessarily the best approach to take (though it certainly helped minimize the leaks), but it most likely means that 13th Doctor's gender won't come up much if at all during the season.

Right! This’ll be fooon! :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Right! This’ll be fooon! :haw:

You think?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
IMO, there are a lot of wrong ways to write the Doctor as a woman, but it's still possible to acknowledge the Doctor's current gender without being corny. That said, considering the stumbles of the Doctor Who writing team in handling these subjects in the past, just sort of carrying on like nothing happened is probably the best option.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really dig that he did this, it should mean that they wrote for the character of the Doctor instead of tripping over themselves to acknowledge/point out the fact she's a woman now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, I love this, because it's actually using the main problem of a new Doctor's first season as a strength. The first season's usually pretty rough and weird for a Doctor because the scripts have no idea who they are; there'll often be scripts written for the last Doctor specifically, or people who default to that voice, and both of those are fine if generic and occasionally a little rocky. But sometimes, as was the case of Capaldi and C. Bakes, the writers try to push a very specific idea that doesn't quite work out based on who the actor is without them actually doing any acting yet.

That last one would've definitely happened if people knew about Whittaker, leading to a whole season of people writing 'this is how the Lady Doctor should go' without anything else to really go on--and chances are you would've ended up with some wildly inconsistent ideas about that across the season. But with all the scripts being written for some generic, archetypal Doctor that everyone was likely writing as a man, we're probably in a similar situation to Matt Smith's first season, where everyone's just sort of writing 'a Doctor' which gives Whittaker a lot of room to move and define her character the way she wants. Then the next season gets written with how she played it in mind, and also it's too late to write 'here's my opinions about how Lady Doctor should go' because we already got a whole season of it not being a big deal.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry, there will still be "the doctor is a woman" jokes and references. In the article it stated that the writers didn't know when they made their drafts. There's plenty of time during finals, punch ups, and on set improve!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I love this, because it's actually using the main problem of a new Doctor's first season as a strength. The first season's usually pretty rough and weird for a Doctor because the scripts have no idea who they are; there'll often be scripts written for the last Doctor specifically, or people who default to that voice, and both of those are fine if generic and occasionally a little rocky. But sometimes, as was the case of Capaldi and C. Bakes, the writers try to push a very specific idea that doesn't quite work out based on who the actor is without them actually doing any acting yet.

I hadn't even thought of that. It doesn't just prevent people from accidentally allowing sexism to seep into the writing, it also prevents people from "writing to the actor" until they really know who the actor is and what their strengths are. It lets Jodie hone the character for herself a little before the writers decide who she is.

I really, really hope this season is good, they've had so many good ideas!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://vimeo.com/100214744

someone did a send up of Doctor Who if he were an old school tokusatsu hero.

There's even backstory for it.

quote:

“The Cybermen, designed by the vile Davronicus – scientist Lieutenant to the M.A.S.T.E.R., are the foot soldiers of the Machine Monster Empire,” Kahan told Crave. “They are made from conquered or captured species that have then had their personalities wiped and their bodies warped and replaced with deadly cybernetic parts. To a regular Joe, they appear to be constructed from black sentai suits and chrome spray painted alien masks.”

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I really dig that he did this, it should mean that they wrote for the character of the Doctor instead of tripping over themselves to acknowledge/point out the fact she's a woman now.
I'm over the moon about it. The "oh, brilliant" moment was so much better than the tired misogynistic joke I was expecting that it absolutely made my day and continuing on in that way is a very exciting prospect.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Just a heads-up that BBC Radio are broadcasting Heroes of Sontar with the Fifth Doctor.

I’ve listened to the first episode on the iPlayer and it’s pretty entertaining. They’ve gone with the more modern, humorous depiction of the Sontarans, but I quite like that - I think it lends the pantheon of Who “villains” a bit of depth and variety.

There’s some spooky threat in the serial from elsewhere though...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm over the moon about it. The "oh, brilliant" moment was so much better than the tired misogynistic joke I was expecting that it absolutely made my day and continuing on in that way is a very exciting prospect.

"Tits! I've got tits! I don't like the colour."
"Of your tits?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Looks like some killjoys who hate fun got the snarky G.O.A.T. parody wiki doctorwhogeneral shut down.

http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Who_Wiki

Lame. Like Doctor Who, it is now RUINED FOREVER I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem posted:

:hai:

The modern Sherlock has its fair share of problems, but The Abominable Bride paying homage to the shots of Holmes looking out Baker Street window taken from the ITV series makes up for a ton of them. Jeremy Brett's illness robbed us of a magnificent Holmes.

That episode is goddamn terrible, but I guess it's par for the course in BBC sherlock

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

corn in the bible posted:

That episode is goddamn terrible, but I guess it's par for the course in BBC sherlock

Remember when everyone loved it though?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

To this day I don't understand how anyone could watch the Hound of the Baskervilles episode and think it was anything but garbage. And yet the show continued for two more seasons, somehow

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

To this day I don't understand how anyone could watch the Hound of the Baskervilles episode and think it was anything but garbage. And yet the show continued for two more seasons, somehow

People latched on to Cumberbatch and Freeman as a duo, I suppose.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's literally my favorite episode. Guess I'm not rewatching it ever, not that I was planning to anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

People latched on to Cumberbatch and Freeman as a duo, I suppose.

It's true that they both do a good job with the material given to them. I don't think it's Cumberbatch's fault that he was told to, for example, act out a scene where Sherlock pretends Watson is going to die in an explosion simply to make him cry and beg to be saved, that loveable rascal.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Astroman posted:

Looks like some killjoys who hate fun got the snarky G.O.A.T. parody wiki doctorwhogeneral shut down.

http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Who_Wiki

Lame. Like Doctor Who, it is now RUINED FOREVER I guess.

RIP Piss Heather

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Rhyno posted:

Remember when everyone loved it though?

I think the average person might be forgiven for failing to predict the utter farrago of self-congratulatory toss the show would become after Season 2. You might, for example, have expected Moffat and Gattis might actually attempt to resolve the cliffhanger from "The Reichenbach Fall" instead of spending an entire episode literally wanking themselves off at how clever they are while shouting "Ahhh, you'll never guess how Sherlock comes back from the dead and we'll never actually tell you so suck on that, NERRRRDS" at the camera.

It would also have been difficult to foresee that the series would actually get incrementally worse from that point on, smugger, stupider and lazier in every aspect. So bad in fact it sucks any enjoyment from the earlier "good" episodes, because In effect, those are nothing more than a prelude to some of the most embarrassing bullshit ever put on TV.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Maelstache posted:

I think the average person might be forgiven for failing to predict the utter farrago of self-congratulatory toss the show would become after Season 2. You might, for example, have expected Moffat and Gattis might actually attempt to resolve the cliffhanger from "The Reichenbach Fall" instead of spending an entire episode literally wanking themselves off at how clever they are while shouting "Ahhh, you'll never guess how Sherlock comes back from the dead and we'll never actually tell you so suck on that, NERRRRDS" at the camera.

It would also have been difficult to foresee that the series would actually get incrementally worse from that point on, smugger, stupider and lazier in every aspect. So bad in fact it sucks any enjoyment from the earlier "good" episodes, because In effect, those are nothing more than a prelude to some of the most embarrassing bullshit ever put on TV.

That final episode is truly impressive, in that I didn't know a show that started as good as it did could end that badly. Like, this started as a show where a detective reads clues to solve mysteries. How does it end with Saw in a Castle Prison Island and a sister he had been programmed to forget about as the villain? What the gently caress happened?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 17, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Moffat and Gatiss are far more enamoured with the Sherlockian game aspect of the Sherlock Holmes canon (i.e. reconciling inconsistencies between the stories, usually by recasting everything as some grand, elaborate duel between Holmes and Moriarty) than they are interested in the actual mysteries.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wish they’d got David Renwick to construct some mysteries since that’s much more his wheelhouse after Jonathan Creek.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Maelstache posted:

Moffat? Not ever resolving a hanging plot point?? Truly I am shocked. Shocked I say!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Moffat and Gatiss are far more enamoured with the Sherlockian game aspect of the Sherlock Holmes canon (i.e. reconciling inconsistencies between the stories, usually by recasting everything as some grand, elaborate duel between Holmes and Moriarty) than they are interested in the actual mysteries.

I used to have this massive two-volume annotated Sherlock where the annotations were all, like, trying to establish what day things happened on and what kind of snake the speckled band really was and a bunch of other insane poo poo. it was incredible and I wish I still had it.

They determined the speckled band was ACTUALLY a hybrid lizard with no legs, that's definitely what ACD had in mind when he wrote the story

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They determined the speckled band was ACTUALLY a hybrid lizard with no legs, that's definitely what ACD had in mind when he wrote the story

Dorothy L. Sayers posted:

The game of applying the methods of the "Higher Criticism" to the Sherlock Holmes canon was begun, many years ago, by Ronald Knox, with the aim of showing that, by those methods, one could disintegrate a modern classic as speciously as a certain school of critics have endeavoured to disintegrate the Bible. Since then, the thing has become a hobby among a select set of jesters here and in America

[The Game] must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's; the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere.

I assume this was a commonplace form of recreation in the days before television.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hell, it’s commonplace now to go knee-deep in analysis. It’s how we found out what day Ice Cube was rapping about in “It Was a Good Day”.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/stuart_manning/status/1041608577998356480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

I used to have this massive two-volume annotated Sherlock where the annotations were all, like, trying to establish what day things happened on and what kind of snake the speckled band really was and a bunch of other insane poo poo. it was incredible and I wish I still had it.

I have something like that, but it's an old seventies book full of fantastically over-analytical Holmes-fan nitpicking.

It's this one, mine doesn't have the cover sadly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Holmes-Commentary-Martin-Dakin/dp/0715354930

• Locked thread