Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i'm pretty sure that at my university, before i could take anything related to programming, i had to take an algorithms course that was nothing but reading/write pseudocoe and time complexity analysis.

Yep, that’s pretty much where we’re at. I finished most of the problems last night, hopefully gonna finish the rest today. I have to do tree diagrams (?) now and a bunch of more pseudocode poo poo. It loving sucks lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i'm pretty sure that at my university, before i could take anything related to programming, i had to take an algorithms course that was nothing but reading/write pseudocoe and time complexity analysis.

sounds like a weed-out course to get rid of the people who were pushed into programming because they're "good with computers"

"good with computers" meaning that their grandma thinks they are a genius because they can setup her printer and/or play video games all day.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

weed-out courses are a dumb idea

but even if you wanted a weed-out course, you could make your weed-out course still have actual programming

making people program in pseudocode for a course before they are allowed to program is pedagogical malpractice

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Dropping Big O in babies first programming class sounds cruel and unusual

:justpost:
babies first programming class at my undergrad dropped EBNF on us day one

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i honestly don’t see much of a problem with introducing either of those early provided the instructor is good at communicating the concepts

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I dunno what the intro class is like at my grad school but lecture one seems interesting

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

comedyblissoption posted:

weed-out courses are a dumb idea

but even if you wanted a weed-out course, you could make your weed-out course still have actual programming

making people program in pseudocode for a course before they are allowed to program is pedagogical malpractice

depends how the course is branded really. if it's computer science then that's a branch of mathematics and it's perfectly reasonable to start with theory instead of getting bogged down in "no you just have to write public static because the compiler demands it don;t worry about why yet" from day 1

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
use a lang where 12-year-olds could understand the syntax. problem over

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

use a lang where 12-year-olds could understand the syntax. problem over

qbasic then

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Soricidus posted:

depends how the course is branded really. if it's computer science then that's a branch of mathematics and it's perfectly reasonable to start with theory instead of getting bogged down in "no you just have to write public static because the compiler demands it don;t worry about why yet" from day 1
i'd say computer science students would be more bogged down by being crippled from not being able to write computer programs and being able to apply their theory in practice

you can teach theory in tandem with writing actual programs running on non-abstract machines. this isn't the early 20th century

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

comedyblissoption posted:

i'd say computer science students would be more bogged down by being crippled from not being able to write computer programs and being able to apply their theory in practice

you can teach theory in tandem with writing actual programs running on non-abstract machines. this isn't the early 20th century

this is exactly why SICP is so good

also the syntax a 12 year old could understand

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
doing theory out of the gate is going to weed out a lot of people who would have succeeded if they had more context first, imo.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

doing theory out of the gate is going to weed out a lot of people who would have succeeded if they had more context first, imo.

agreed. also doing c++ out of the gate like they did at my school.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yikes

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

babies first programming class at my undergrad dropped EBNF on us day one

jesus christ what the gently caress

That wasn't until late year 2 for me, but the first two years were like math, engineering, chemistry (or physics but gently caress that) and some light programming along with some Liberal Arts

agreed

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

yea judging by how many people were showing up to the TA's recitals most of the class is feeling a bit desperate to grasp the first big concepts they introduced to us. Even the teacher was joking about how none of the HW should make any sense to us.

It's an Ivy League university, too.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

white sauce posted:

yea judging by how many people were showing up to the TA's recitals most of the class is feeling a bit desperate to grasp the first big concepts they introduced to us. Even the teacher was joking about how none of the HW should make any sense to us.

It's an Ivy League university, too.

I think there's a real trend in CS pedagogy to ignore the fact that some people are gonna show up able to program rill gud and others are gonna show up having not really programmed before and to aim the class at the average (average, _not_ median) skill level: below the people who've already acquired some modicum of skill but well above everyone who is just learning.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
combined with a deep incuriosity and lack of concern that a significant fraction of all students will wash out. a calvinist attitude about programmers vs. non-programmers instead of any sense of responsibility for the learning of students

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

prisoner of waffles posted:

I think there's a real trend in CS pedagogy to ignore the fact that some people are gonna show up able to program rill gud and others are gonna show up having not really programmed before and to aim the class at the average (average, _not_ median) skill level: below the people who've already acquired some modicum of skill but well above everyone who is just learning.

there was a grad student in the intro cs class in the plutocrat school i went to who had programmed for 15 years of his 22 years of life, many of those years for actual money

he thought that they didn't let you in the upper div classes w/o the intro cs class

they actually do split it for undergrad (like they have heritage spanish classes, just "you know how to program a lil already" intro classes), but the classes are almost the same but it really seems to me that they should be materially different imo

self-learners would be the ones you stick into landau notation all day erryday initially, forex

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
i think im going to try and follow crafting interpreters in rust for a new side project. i just finished the rust book and this seems like a fun way to get into a larger rust project.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My university had a placement test during the summer before you arrived that determined if you went to the 101 class, the 108 class that combined 101 and 102, or the 109 class that combined all three intro courses into one quarter. You had to take the intro theory class concurrently with 102 or the combo classes. That was eighteen years ago, though, so who knows if they still do that. I did hear that they switched back from Java to C in the intro course, but no idea what they're using today.

I suppose I could go ask, since I work on that campus!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that guy owns.

The author posted a larger reddit on topic; https://www.reddit.com/r/node/comments/97kn8r/the_uws_npm_deprecation_response/

jit bull transpile posted:

Jonathan blow literally said women are mentally less capable of programming computers. why are you bending over so hard to try to give him cover

We know Blow is more special than the next person, sometimes insight does struggle and make it through his discourse.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 15, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sapozhnik posted:

What is an ecs

the successor to OCS, capable of another few hi-res modes and with a blitter capable of larger bitmap copies

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

so I’ve got my lisp up and running now and building as a DLL in VC6 :toot:

working on adding sequence routines and vector parsing and stuff so I can use it as a DSL for my game engine but it’s hard to figure out how to implement things *in* lisp so most of it is just calling C functions from lisp, which is probably better for speed anyway

I do have a generic C callback system atm where C functions are defined as primitives, eventually I’ll hook it up to Glide

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The_Franz posted:

sounds like a weed-out course to get rid of the people who were pushed into programming because they're "good with computers"

"good with computers" meaning that their grandma thinks they are a genius because they can setup her printer and/or play video games all day.

that was calc 2.

i ran into a lot of guys who went into the "CIT" program which was basically CJ school because they couldn't hack it in some basic math.

probably for the best.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my school also made everyone who graduated in the CS program take at least one course that focused on assembly and microcontrollers (we used an HCS12), and at least one course on digital logic using PLCs, and a course on more digital logic that focused on FPGAs and writing poo poo in VHDL.

our senior design capstone course made CS students, EE students, ME students, and CE students work in a group and build a robot that could climb a rope that was anchored 90 degrees from a wall and weighted across a pulley, transfer to the horizontal part, and finally locate a dartboard on the ground and drop darts on it. each team was given a few hundred dollars and nothing to start with. it was an "any means necessary" type thing, as long as you finished within the constraints of the rules (it had to have a safety feature where it flashed a bright light and a siren 5 seconds before the darts were dropped). some people didn't complete it and failed.

that class loving owned and it was hands down the best thing i accomplished in college. it also got me my job right out of the gate.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
this is the first question that just left me completely stumped... is it asking me to measure the amount of comparisons that binary search would conduct within each element in that array?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

white sauce posted:

this is the first question that just left me completely stumped... is it asking me to measure the amount of comparisons that binary search would conduct within each element in that array?

3a is asking you to use the floor function on each of those numbers. the preamble about binary search is entirely irrelevant lol

eL i mean 31a

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 16, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

gonadic io posted:

3a is asking you to use the floor function on each of those numbers. the preamble about binary search is entirely irrelevant lol

yeah, what are the other parts of the question?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Are there more parts to that question beyond 31a? Question 31 itself looks to me like it's just a set-up for the rest of the question.

Edit: Beaten because I was trying to figure out what the gently caress font that was. It's either Kabel or Koblenz, apparently.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
maybe the guy just likes lists, man

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
sorting a list is o(n log n). now what is 4*7 and 8*10?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
here's the entire question

e: i'm starting to understand what they want me to do, thanks for the guidance

gonna go eat dinner with my old lady then finish this fucker of a question

white sauce fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 16, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

white sauce posted:

here's the entire question

e: i'm starting to understand what they want me to do, thanks for the guidance

gonna go eat dinner with my old lady then finish this fucker of a question

yeah this makes more sense. just focus on what each individual part is asking you to do, they're breaking the overall process into simpler steps

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CPColin posted:

Edit: Beaten because I was trying to figure out what the gently caress font that was. It's either Kabel or Koblenz, apparently.

oh cool I'm not the only one feeling bugged by the font

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

trying to figure out why thread filters aren't loading on the ios awful app and I don't understand what is going on here at all. probably need to read a tutorial on core data or something.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

oh cool I'm not the only one feeling bugged by the font

i didn't notice it at first but looking at it again and wow those e's are wild, all i can see is :v:

also that g, like did the designer just change their mind which kind they wanted half way down the letter

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Lime posted:

i didn't notice it at first but looking at it again and wow those e's are wild, all i can see is :v:

also that g, like did the designer just change their mind which kind they wanted half way down the letter

capital W looking like a jg wentworth logo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

thinking about trying to prototype an idea i have in react native. it can't be that bad can it?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i feel like having something like that on your github/resume would keep you in bad jobs for the rest of your life :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Corla Plankun posted:

i feel like having something like that on your github/resume would keep you in bad jobs for the rest of your life :ohdear:

yes, putting some code up on github will most likely result in you doing computer programming full time