Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Where does being the only IT guy for a law firm with rotating partner CIOs and no budget stack up against video game company work?

Just get out of small-shop IT. Especially legal IT.

But probably about the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

If I didn't have a stupid amount of monitors already I would love to try 3440 x 1440. Can you get one for $400 yet?

My desk currently has: 27" 2560x1440, 25" 2560x1440, 21.5" 4069x2304, 22" 1920x1200. Well, two of them are on the floor. But still.

The Dell is still ~$550.

I did see the 34" LG that's only 1080p for all of $250 at Costco yesterday, though, so it won't be too long...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FCKGW posted:

I have the domain separate on Google domains, it's like $11/y or whatever.

His site is just static HTML pages and a php contact form.

Seriously? Wow. I thought it was like $12/mo on Amazon’s domain provider. either I misread or that’s a huge difference.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Domains aren’t expensive, some registrars charge a lot but they offer you gently caress all.

If you want to host a static page then shove it in an S3 bucket and put CloudFront in front of it to get SSL with your own domain, and a free cert managed by AWS.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Thanatosian posted:

Valve is actually that ridiculous. Rumor has it it's also a cesspool of gamergaters and MRAs.

Gross I hadn't heard that, but I don't know anyone there oddly. Twitch is super not that way thank god.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also this is why steams store and qualtiy control are garbage fires. Turns out having no boss to force people to do the necessary but deeply unsexy things doesn't work so well.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Methanar posted:

Working for a video game company is probably the worst thing you could do to yourself.

Eh, it's not bad. Working at the reference desk in a public library prepares you for the worst and a game company certainly isn't.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Eh, it's not bad. Working at the reference desk in a public library support at a university public lab prepares you for the worst and a game company certainly isn't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bob Morales posted:

I'm just loving with the owner of our company now. I sent him a copy of the Valve Employee handbook. Just got this email:

Employee-directed projects, supposedly, and yet, still no Half-Life 3.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Employee-directed projects, supposedly, and yet, still no Half-Life 3.

Would you wanna work on a game with that high of expectations?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Hey guys.

So today was the day I got my last paycheck, so I filed for unemployment. Remember, I moved from Alabama to Georgia in November last year.

I tried to file in Georgia, they said they don't have me on record. They said try Alabama.

Alabama has me off record since November of last year.

I call the payroll person at my old job and she says "Oh, we just set up an account in Georgia for unemployment yesterday. We hadn't paid anything, but we will!"

So I can't get unemployment.

The thing is, we had employees in Georgia before me. So they hadn't been paying unemployment premiums this whole time.

Trying to see what legal actions I can take. Reporting to the IRS through an official channel, for one.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Zapf Dingbat posted:

The thing is, we had employees in Georgia before me. So they hadn't been paying unemployment premiums this whole time.

:wtf:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Hey guys.

So today was the day I got my last paycheck, so I filed for unemployment. Remember, I moved from Alabama to Georgia in November last year.

I tried to file in Georgia, they said they don't have me on record. They said try Alabama.

I call the payroll person at my old job and she says "Oh, we just set up an account in Georgia for unemployment yesterday. We hadn't paid anything, but we will!"

Trying to see what legal actions I can take. Reporting to the IRS through an official channel, for one.

They didn't set up the account. Definitely try to find some kind of legal recourse. I'm sorry dude that really sucks.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Enjoy your new boat

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Hey guys.

https://dol.georgia.gov/report-ui-fraud

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you contacted an attorney? Because this sounds like one of those times where you might want an attorney.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://www.dol.gov/general/maps/fraud

Report to both Alabama and Georgia.

Internet Explorer posted:

Have you contacted an attorney? Because this sounds like one of those times where you might want an attorney.

Do this first though.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'm just finding this out this evening. I'm kind of in info gathering mode now, and talking to a couple of other employees in different states.

Between this and them stealing money from out IRAs, I don't know what to do first.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ranter posted:

Where does being the only IT guy for a law firm with rotating partner CIOs and no budget stack up against video game company work?

Law firms usually have plenty of money to spend, and see the value in IT. Are there any of the higher ups that believe that IT can be a competitive advantage? How does the law firm track time?

Zapf Dingbat posted:

You need to speak with an employment attorney to make sure your rights are protected and that you are able to collect unemployment. The IRS or state unemployment office could levy fines on the business if they misrepresented how much they were paying in taxes, or failed to pay unemployment insurance that is required by the state, but they don't really look out for your interests.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

Law firms usually have plenty of money to spend, and see the value in IT. Are there any of the higher ups that believe that IT can be a competitive advantage? How does the law firm track time?
This may be true of larger firms, but many small firms treat IT as a cost center, and want to spend as little as possible on it, plus throw in lawyer-levels of Dunning-Kruger.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Had a meeting this afternoon where we solved a bunch of technical issues. As we were wrapping up, one guy said "wow, that was actually a productive meeting!"

Then my coworker came over to my desk and told me I did a good job in the meeting. Feels like I earned my keep today.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

lampey posted:

You need to speak with an employment attorney to make sure your rights are protected and that you are able to collect unemployment. The IRS or state unemployment office could levy fines on the business if they misrepresented how much they were paying in taxes, or failed to pay unemployment insurance that is required by the state, but they don't really look out for your interests.

Would that be worth it for a few hundred dollars?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Would that be worth it for a few hundred dollars?

The consult is free. If there is a hefty sum to be won they will just take 33% of it on contingency. $0 out of pocket.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Ok. Never had to deal with lawyers and such. I'll have someone lined up by Monday.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It seems pretty clear that your former employer committed UI fraud in two states and has caused you personal harm in the process.

Too bad your lawyer will advise you against posting about it, it'd be fun to watch it go down.

IANAL

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sex talk thread is in A/T.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Once everything is said and done Zapf Dingbat will hopefully post a picture of his new mansion.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I went for a helpdesk tier 2 interview today which I got through a friend of a friend and the person in charge basically told me not to take the job. I guess my resume was too advanced for the position. I have ambitions to get to a network engineer position and they aren't allowed to touch any of that ever not even windows server nothing. I guess a company contracts the company I interviewed for helpdesk but keeps the more advanced positions in house.

I've done helpdesk before it's tedious or very busy.

The real problem with this job is that there is no chance for advancement it will always be the same thing. I'm willing to work my way up but no chance of that for this job. :sigh:

I am tempted to just take this for 3 - 6 months so I'll have a job while I apply for other jobs. Not having a job is making me feel like a bad person. That's what I'm trying to decide this weekend. This seems like the best idea, just take the job to get financial pressure off myself and then look for other jobs after the first month.

The reason I'm having to think about it is because I have friends involved with the company that handles this and one who referred me is an acquaintance of that and I feel it would be a jerk move to leave after 3 months.

On the otherhand I have enough money to job hunt until early next year if I wanted. I've been on one interview outside of this. Maybe I need to get over my fear of not being good enough and keep trying and set a goal of 10 interviews or something like that. I don't expect a dream job just a company that will allow me to learn and advance.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

Cleaning up my desk and found these:

I'm the 2 gigameg mail box.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DropsySufferer posted:

I went for a helpdesk tier 2 interview today which I got through a friend of a friend and the person in charge basically told me not to take the job. I guess my resume was too advanced for the position. I have ambitions to get to a network engineer position and they aren't allowed to touch any of that ever not even windows server nothing. I guess a company contracts the company I interviewed for helpdesk but keeps the more advanced positions in house.

I've done helpdesk before it's tedious or very busy.

The real problem with this job is that there is no chance for advancement it will always be the same thing. I'm willing to work my way up but no chance of that for this job. :sigh:

I am tempted to just take this for 3 - 6 months so I'll have a job while I apply for other jobs. Not having a job is making me feel like a bad person. That's what I'm trying to decide this weekend. This seems like the best idea, just take the job to get financial pressure off myself and then look for other jobs after the first month.

The reason I'm having to think about it is because I have friends involved with the company that handles this and one who referred me is an acquaintance of that and I feel it would be a jerk move to leave after 3 months.

On the otherhand I have enough money to job hunt until early next year if I wanted. I've been on one interview outside of this. Maybe I need to get over my fear of not being good enough and keep trying and set a goal of 10 interviews or something like that. I don't expect a dream job just a company that will allow me to learn and advance.

Being unemployed does not make you a bad person. I understand taking a bad fit for yourself if you need the money but don't guilt yourself into a bad situation because of ridiculous capitalist talking points meant to shame you into selling your labor at a reduced price.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Still waiting for my bosses to hire more staff. Last update was they were looking at a guy whose spent the last 14 years working in the film developing department at Wal-Mart. Why not just hire a typewriter repairman or old-timey gas-lantern lighters to manage these Cisco switches.

He has his CCNA but has never worked with the hardware. :wtc:

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Ok. Never had to deal with lawyers and such. I'll have someone lined up by Monday.

It's real difficult to tell what this is worth for the lawyer, but I think payroll type violations have treble damages in California. Not sure what it'd be like in Georgia, but for a red state Georgia is surprisingly regulated (source: wife who had to deal with the GA insurance commissioner for years). Not paying into unemployment has to have a hefty penalty, otherwise more companies would try to get away with it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Matt Zerella posted:

Being unemployed does not make you a bad person. I understand taking a bad fit for yourself if you need the money but don't guilt yourself into a bad situation because of ridiculous capitalist talking points meant to shame you into selling your labor at a reduced price.

I agree that being unemployed doesn't make you a bad person, but at some point I do think a sufficiently long stretch of unemployment can affect your hireability.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

guppy posted:

I agree that being unemployed doesn't make you a bad person, but at some point I do think a sufficiently long stretch of unemployment can affect your hireability.

Say you've been doing side work and bartending. That's a dumb thing too, and any employer who passes judgement on that is probably a bad employer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Go hike a trail for 5 months and gently caress off to Europe for 3 additional and comeback to a better paying job. It works 100% of the time so far

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Not sure what it'd be like in Georgia, but for a red state Georgia is surprisingly regulated (source: wife who had to deal with the GA insurance commissioner for years).
Is this because Georgia has a thriving first-world city (Atlanta) to influence statewide politics? I feel like North Carolina is similar because of Charlotte/Raleigh/RTP.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

guppy posted:

It’s been about a month and a half for me. My problem in the beginning was that I was in denial I think and wasn’t being aggressive enough about finding a new job.

I would take a helpdesk tier two job right away as long there were opportunities elsewhere in the company. I’m not someone who is arrogant and expects everything easy.

But yeah I’m going to turn that deadend job down and put in real effort to find something more reasonable.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

wargames posted:

is just a home connection that you pay alot more for, and its the worst.

A Comcast business connection has the option of static IP addresses as well as the ability to host services. I host a game server, two small sites, a labbed email server and a whole stack of point to point IPSec tunnels without issues.

Trying to run a commercial web site or email server from an xfinity account will get you a nasty letter and then your ports blocked [if they aren’t blocked by default].

I have few issues with the link itself, but when I do yeah, Comcast sucks.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Agrikk posted:

A Comcast business connection has the option of static IP addresses as well as the ability to host services. I host a game server, two small sites, a labbed email server and a whole stack of point to point IPSec tunnels without issues.

Trying to run a commercial web site or email server from an xfinity account will get you a nasty letter and then your ports blocked [if they aren’t blocked by default].

I have few issues with the link itself, but when I do yeah, Comcast sucks.

I sorta like the 4 hour response time for Comcast business class. I think they shifted it down to 'scheduling an appointment' in four hours, but they got someone out pretty fast to repair a downed line.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Comcast wasted like 3 hours of my time on the phone when I established a bgp peering session with them. And they insisted on sending over someone to do an hour of diagnostics on the fiber.

At one point one of the techs typoed cocmast in an email.

That's my comcast story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Still waiting for my bosses to hire more staff. Last update was they were looking at a guy whose spent the last 14 years working in the film developing department at Wal-Mart. Why not just hire a typewriter repairman or old-timey gas-lantern lighters to manage these Cisco switches.

He has his CCNA but has never worked with the hardware. :wtc:

You wouldn't believe the amount of CCNAs i've interviewed who don't know how to make a serial connection in Putty