Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

On a different note, I recently went to Protege in Palo Alto and it was excellent. The non-tasting menu is really good value but their tasting menu is like 4 courses for $120. Still if you want to go to a place that will definitely get a Michelin Star before it gets a star I highly recommend getting reservations there in the near future.

i just made a reservation for this place (a la carte -- gf doesnt eat red meat) thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

my bitter bi rival posted:

i just made a reservation for this place (a la carte -- gf doesnt eat red meat) thanks.

Hopefully you guys like it. Out of the four Lounge entrees, the risotto was the least good but it was still pretty tasty. The dumplings and "fish and chips" were both really good for appetizers as well.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a longtime question i've had

why are there so many fuckin restaurants in san mateo

is it like a liquor license thing or what

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
its a good location between some of the other bigger peninsula cities and has a big 'downtown' city with density. But there are shitloads of restaurants up and down el camino. There's some really good asian food hidden away up this northern end of the peninsula.

I found by accident one of the 4 remaining real oak charcoal grill korean bbq places that have grandfathered permit to let you grill with charcoal at your table, in San Bruno of all places! It just changed owners/chefs a few months ago and was amazing. It's not good for first/second dates because you and your date are going to smell like you went camping, the smoke gets in your hair and clothes.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 16, 2018

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ranter posted:

I found by accident one of the 4 remaining real oak charcoal grill korean bbq places that have grandfathered permit to let you grill with charcoal at your table, in San Bruno of all places! It just changed owners/chefs a few months ago and was amazing. It's not good for first/second dates because you and your date are going to smell like you went camping, the smoke gets in your hair and clothes.
Please, please, the name?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
sorry its a simple google korean bbq san bruno theyre called Seoul Kalbi Korean BBQ

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sorry, down my part of the Peninsula there are often multiple Korean BBQ places per town, and I assumed San Bruno followed suit. Try that Google in Sunnyvale, for instance.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
yeah nah i was being snippy i forgot to list the loving restaurants name

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Please, please, the name?

They're pretty good. I miss Galbi Time in Oakland having charcoal grills.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a longtime question i've had

why are there so many fuckin restaurants in san mateo

is it like a liquor license thing or what

Look at Burlingame, Redwood City, and Millbrae, not quite the same level, but I think that they all have their city center that has a high concentration of places too.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

Hopefully you guys like it. Out of the four Lounge entrees, the risotto was the least good but it was still pretty tasty. The dumplings and "fish and chips" were both really good for appetizers as well.

Really great meal and outstanding experience

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 21, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
nice brunch spot with 'a view' ?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Cliff House

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
cheers

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Oof. I don’t know that I’d do Cliffhouse if you want to eat food that is good, but I’ll say I’ve never eaten brunch there and I’m also not much of a traditional brunch food person. It’s a lot of Sysco prepackaged stuff, like quality of a mediocre hotel banquet.

I like Slanted Door, Waterbar (can be hit or miss but I usually am doing shellfish and booze) or Outerlands (not right on the water) if I’m taking friends out.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Only been there for a wedding & reception, it was acceptable rather than foody, but it sure did have a view.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Does Shadowbrook down near Santa Cruz still do brunch? They were tasty and had a view.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Looking for a place to go with about 10 older guys, it's a dinner club that meets once a month. Usually they'll pick places like Capurro's, or Marcello's, Jeanne D'Arc, that sort of place, which is fine, but as it's my month to pick I'd like something a little more exciting. Was thinking of Violet's, Blue Plate, or Maven. Any one have any experience with those spots or other suggestions?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Been to blue plate twice, its great but not new/different/exciting.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Been to blue plate twice, its great but not new/different/exciting.

Full bar? Or beer/wine only (if you remember)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
beer wine only I think I don't remember

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I like Maven but I’ve only had drinks there.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Not that it matters, but we ended up going to Fior D'Italia, good place but definitely old school.

What do people think of the new Michelin guide? Personally I'm happy Wakuryia stayed on and happy for Crenn to now have 4 stars, but I can't say I've made it to a lot of the others on this list recently.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

Not that it matters, but we ended up going to Fior D'Italia, good place but definitely old school.

What do people think of the new Michelin guide? Personally I'm happy Wakuryia stayed on and happy for Crenn to now have 4 stars, but I can't say I've made it to a lot of the others on this list recently.

My friend said Single Thread was the single best dining experience she ever had so she's not surprised it got 3 stars so quickly.

Another friend who really likes Crenn said that while it's interesting he doesn't think the restaurant deserves 3 stars.

Protege getting one star sounds right. I definitely want to try to hit more 3 star places this year but getting reservations is a real pain. On that note Single Thread reservations open at 9am this Saturday.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

OGS-Remix posted:

I definitely want to try to hit more 3 star places this year but getting reservations is a real pain. On that note Single Thread reservations open at 9am this Saturday.

I must have gotten so loving lucky. The only time I tried to book a 3 star on my own, I got a res for 2 @ Benu for 8pm'ish weekend earlier this year. Food was pretty blood good but the ambiance was cold.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dang, I just made a reservation for SingleThread, because I thought $275/person wasn't too bad, but then you get hit with 30.35% added on at the end. :wth:

I want to go to Californios, Commonwealth, and Kin Khao.

I went to Mourad, and it was definitely not worth the price. Everything was good, but it was $255/person, without a pairing. The cocktail prices were especially absurd (some were $24). You can definitely get food just as good for half the price.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Dang, I just made a reservation for SingleThread, because I thought $275/person wasn't too bad, but then you get hit with 30.35% added on at the end. :wth:

I want to go to Californios, Commonwealth, and Kin Khao.

I went to Mourad, and it was definitely not worth the price. Everything was good, but it was $255/person, without a pairing. The cocktail prices were especially absurd (some were $24). You can definitely get food just as good for half the price.

What did you order at Mourad? I've been there multiple times and it's never that expensive even with drinks.

I actually felt Mourad was pretty good on value especially if you go with a larger group (4+).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

We did the tasting menu. My girlfriend is vegetarian, so splitting one of their large, family-style dishes wasn't really an option, from what I recall. It definitely seemed like a better value from the table I saw next to us.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Californios was fantastic though right

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Californios is good (and cheap m) Commonwealth is good (and quite inexpensive) Kin Khao & Pim are trash.

I’ve eaten at every 2 or 3 Star in the Bay other than Baume and the majority of the 1 Stars, so if you’re wondering about specifics, ask away.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

We did the tasting menu. My girlfriend is vegetarian, so splitting one of their large, family-style dishes wasn't really an option, from what I recall. It definitely seemed like a better value from the table I saw next to us.

Oh ok that explains it. Whenever I've been to Mourad I've always gotten their entrees and not tasting menu. The big family style dishes are the good taste/value options there.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I’ve eaten at every 2 or 3 Star in the Bay other than Baume and the majority of the 1 Stars, so if you’re wondering about specifics, ask away.

If you had to pick between going to Meadowwood or French Laundry, which one would you pick? And you can include the Chef's table at Meadowwood as well.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ranter posted:

Californios was fantastic though right

I haven't gone yet! :shobon: It's been on my list for a while, but I haven't ever made a reservation, for some reason. My new year's resolution is to not got to the same restaurants over and over.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Californios is good (and cheap m) Commonwealth is good (and quite inexpensive) Kin Khao & Pim are trash.

That's too bad about Kin Khao. One time I had larb moo from Rich Table, and it was super delicious. I was hoping Kin Khao would be an entire restaurant like that.

OGS-Remix posted:

If you had to pick between going to Meadowwood or French Laundry, which one would you pick? And you can include the Chef's table at Meadowwood as well.

Keep in mind I am potentially a total rube, but French Laundry is absolutely not worth it. Like, I might not go again even if it were free. It's so slow and stuffy and just seems really out-dated/old-fashioned.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
a lot of 2 and 3 stars are like that, they're not relaxing at all. I don't like it either but apparently people do?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah could be. That’s the only 3 star place I’ve been to, so I don’t have a reference. Still, the pacing was either really off or just way too slow for me, and the food was nothing special, to my palate. I just wanted to leave by the time they served dessert.

Hopefully SingleThread is better :unsmith:

Has anyone been to Prairie? I went a couple weeks ago, and it was pretty good. The chicken “piccata” was especially good. I’m not sure how often they are changing the menu, but I really want to go eat that again.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah could be. That’s the only 3 star place I’ve been to, so I don’t have a reference. Still, the pacing was either really off or just way too slow for me, and the food was nothing special, to my palate. I just wanted to leave by the time they served dessert.

Hopefully SingleThread is better :unsmith:

There's definitely a wide variety of styles between 3 stars so hopefully you can find one that you like. Single Thread should be very different from French Laundry at the least.

I was going to go to Manresa in the summer with my family but it caught fire literally the week before my reservations. :supaburn:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

I was going to go to Manresa in the summer with my family but it caught fire literally the week before my reservations. :supaburn:

Same! It was one of the least fun emails I've received, particularly as it was going to be a birthday present to my girlfriend. Second fire in 4 years, someone really hates the guy.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

OGS-Remix posted:

I've (also) eaten at almost every 2 & 3 star in the Bay Area, and would second (or third?) the consensus that French Laundry is not worth it. Meadowood I would rank in the upper echelon of 3 stars along with Single Thread, Benu and Quince. Atelier Crenn, Manresa and French Laundry I'm rather meh about (I would actually rank Coi above these three). Never been to Saison

Kin Khao is not trash, but I wouldn't make a special trip there. My favorite 1*s: Al's Place, Gary Danko, Nico, Octavia, Rich Table

Also sushi-wise it is utter bs that Sasaki didn't get a star

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Octavia is top notch

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
I had the tasting menu at rich table and I thought it was not good. Lotta weird choices on there, like poorly cooked pasta, and overall not a good unifying theme. Did I screw up or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Thoughts on Che Fico? Worth the hype?

Also, any recommendations for omakase?