Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Conspicuous for its absence, 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Turns out the GFs made them forget 8.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wanna play 8 but my system is at my dad's... In Fontana, CA.

Give it the "iOS port of VI'-style graphics, I don't give a gently caress, just let me listen to the best FF music while drawing magic endlessly and having to watch that super-long GF summon every time and literally not comprehending a thing past the storming of that island (with Seifer?) and getting chased by that robot.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finally 8 is dead forever

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Just like Squall after disc 1

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Island was named Dollett. It just came to me on the can.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cleretic posted:

I'd hope that a second S-E rep would have more of a Nintendo connection. Noctis hasn't even been on a Nintendo console yet, so I really hope it's not him (also I hate him and all his unlikeable friends that never shut up but that's different).

When Sakurai was first theorizing potential FF Smash characters, he was throwing around Bartz, Terra and for some reason FuSoYa, all good picks from the SNES era that have stood the test of time. That'd be the vein I'd expect, because nearly every Smash Ultimate newcomer has been someone who's been desired by fans for ages. If you want to go even further back, I think a classic FFI Black Mage would be a strong choice.

If you want to extend beyond FF, then the obvious choice is Dragon Quest, but I unfortunately don't know enough about it to think hard on that. The protagonist from Secret of Mana would be a decent pick as well, maybe taking cues from Ness and borrowing techniques from his party. My hope for a second S-E rep would be Crono, though, who I think is a pretty good chance.

Sora for Smash you cowards

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Star Man posted:

Someone at Square-Enix must really hate Final Fantasy VIII or someone who worked on it.

Good. It's a bad game.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Help Im Alive posted:

VIII-2 where you play as Seifer/Fujin/Raijin

Final Fantasy VIII-2: Seifer's Fantastic Fishing Trip

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Mog seems like a pretty logical choice for Smash. Moogles are an iconic series element, he's from a SNES game, he'd be visually distinct from a sea of anime guys with swords, and between dances and all the spells and espers in 6 he has a pretty huge and diverse movepool they could take in different directions. Kain would also be a cool and iconic choice from a Nintendo platform.

Gilgamesh is also a good idea, tho

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Wait till Square announces FFVIII HD Remaster :getin:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Wait till Square announces FFVIII HD Remaster :getin:

I'd be unironically way more likely to buy that than FFVII since VIII is probably the one game that could use the most reworking

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Frionnel posted:

Good. It's a bad game.

It's still the only good FF though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's an extremely low bar.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

I'd be unironically way more likely to buy that than FFVII since VIII is probably the one game that could use the most reworking

It would have to be so rewritten it might as well be a different game for me to have any interest

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chocobo Mystery Dungeon looks incredibly cute.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Mog seems like a pretty logical choice for Smash. Moogles are an iconic series element, he's from a SNES game, he'd be visually distinct from a sea of anime guys with swords, and between dances and all the spells and espers in 6 he has a pretty huge and diverse movepool they could take in different directions. Kain would also be a cool and iconic choice from a Nintendo platform.

All three of these would be some really cool choices, although Kain is someone I'd find unlikely just for spotlight reasons; you wouldn't get a supporting party member from a Final Fantasy before you got their main character, unless that supporting party member is FuSoYa apparently. Cecil would be a pretty decent choice, though, I could get into that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't believe VIII is the IIIDS of Final Fantasies.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
3DS is on everything though, including the freaking OUYA.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Every time you hit the jump button with Kain he goes flying off the screen and KOs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bruceski posted:

Every time you hit the jump button with Kain he goes flying off the screen and KOs.

That's if a FFXIV DRG gf gets into Smash.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

Chocobo Mystery Dungeon looks incredibly cute.

It is, and Everybuddy is the most adorable pun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bruceski posted:

if you play team battle he switches sides every thirty seconds

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Dr Pepper posted:

That's if a FFXIV DRG gf gets into Smash.

No, in that case his Up Special would cause him to do a forward flip off the nearest ledge.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I unironically loved chocobo's dungeon 2 on the playstation, so I'm pretty hype to have it on the switch. It basically just looks like CD2 + the job system.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's good that Chocobos can join the workforce too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think I'd just like a Black Mage rep if Smash got another SE rep.

That or a Slime.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
is XV Pocket Edition worth a drat at $18 on switch?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

During the direct when they got to the FF segment I was REALLY expecting them to end with "And here's Noctis in Smash". It felt like that's what they were building up to and he's already in Tekken.

Sade posted:

I unironically loved chocobo's dungeon 2 on the playstation, so I'm pretty hype to have it on the switch. It basically just looks like CD2 + the job system.

I played one of these on the original PS1 is that what this is? I actually loved that game but I feel like it did not age that well when you compare it to every other indie game being a roguelike (and some being really good)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
chocobo's dungeon 2 is surprisingly brutal. and then the things you have to do to get the true ending is just shy of masochistic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I remember getting a claw that let me dig through the level and I was like "holy poo poo I am literally breaking the game this is insane"

It's much less impressive with the freedom a lot of games give you these days but my frame of reference was like... FF7 where you are running down a fixed path and pressing yes or no

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kaleidoscope posted:

is XV Pocket Edition worth a drat at $18 on switch?

Coming from the perspective of someone who's played XV and all the DLC on PS4... Pocket Edition is worth a drat!

Essentially, take XV, keep the voice acting and soundtrack, lay out the main story beats and some "side quests" (incorporated into each explorable area) into linear sections, and pull the camera back to an overhead view. The AP grid is simplified into fewer and simpler paths, too. Combat still includes slashing all day, but dodges, parries, warp strikes, partner specials (when prompted), limited magics, and armiger meter are all factors. The clearer view alone makes combat far more appreciable than the original version. Settings are mostly smoothed simulations, which can look like neat homages or bland deserts/tunnels. There are videos comparing cutscenes between XV and XV Pocket showing how much has been simply retranslated for lower polygon count.

Perhaps most importantly: there are a few automated driving segments, but you don't have to actually drive everywhere. The game's tends to just cut to black and teleport you where the story needs you to go. It's XV on a Nintendo console, if you've played through the original, try changing the voice acting language and give it a whirl.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 16, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
As someone who enjoyed FFXV throughly before they started adding new cutscenes and altering the old ones, is the Royal Edition worth picking up? I saw some of the modified scenes, like the one on the train, and thought the change was for the worse (300% extra melodrama but with less of the original's raw emotion) But do they add scenes that actually add something worthwhile, and how is the added content?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've been playing Pocket Edition as someone who's not played XV before and enjoying it. The combination of art style with the banter makes it very endearing, and other than the car stuff obviously being stripped back I don't feel like anything's over-simplified to the point of sucking the fun out of it.

Though if you really want to make sure you could just download the free chapter of the phone version and use it as a demo like I did.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a reason noct warp strikes in a random direction when I'm locked on a target? It's getting really annoying.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a reason noct warp strikes in a random direction when I'm locked on a target? It's getting really annoying.

If i remember correctly tapping and holding the warp button gives different effects. Tap to attack targeted enemy, hold to warp to nearest warp point.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I believe it will also warp you in the direction you're holding the left stick if you're holding it down. So if you're strafing around an enemy you've locked onto and press the button to warp, you'll warp in that direction instead of into the enemy.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just picked up FFXV Windows Edition and was wondering if there is a thread for it? I searched the first 10 pages of Games and didn't find anything.

I'm super excited. I played the first 1.5 hours or so on PS4 before I sold it to a friend who wanted a console a lot more than I did. Now that I'm upgrading my PC part by part I can't wait to get back into the game on PC master-race.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

x years and 45 hours later i just hit chapter 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

iddqd posted:

I just picked up FFXV Windows Edition and was wondering if there is a thread for it? I searched the first 10 pages of Games and didn't find anything.

I'm super excited. I played the first 1.5 hours or so on PS4 before I sold it to a friend who wanted a console a lot more than I did. Now that I'm upgrading my PC part by part I can't wait to get back into the game on PC master-race.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850516&pagenumber=4

I think it was cannibalized by other threads. Found it with Google