Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Vandal season 2 is now ready for your binge pleasure

NETFLIX SPOILER RULE: Denote the episode you've watched up to, like this

S2E6 I can't believe Dylan did the poops (not a real spoiler) (well actually I've only watched episode 1 so who knows?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
3 eps in and I don’t know if I’m enjoying it as much as 1, partly because I feel like I’m getting less of a sense of the school as a community and how all the various students we see fit together, but it’s still very funny and good and (202) bringing in the psychologist to talk about forced confessions was amazing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've finished the season and I thought it was incredible. I need more time to reflect but I probably put that ahead of S1. It's definitely a slow build though but everything from the end of episode 4 to the end had me absolutely gripped.

(Full season spoilers)

There were so many twists and turns to the plot towards the end it was great. I'd called Jenna as the culprit based on an internship with her parents being a lovely alibi so for about ten minutes I was super smug but then they managed to layer another three switches on top of that. As for the emotional side of things it really came together at the end. There was so much pathos to Kevin's story and DeMarcus was a character with so much heart and they really mined the depths of their archetypes. Just amazing stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Episode 2 lmao clenching. straining

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The photography credit to Ming Zhang in the opening credits :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just clocked the tag :golfclap:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my god episode 4

this is way better than season 1 already

diapy drew

ahahaha (still episode 4) "Periods after emoijis? That's serial killer weird."

precision fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 14, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On episode 2 and I'm probably alone in this but I feel worse for Kevin so far than I did for Dylan. To be fair, I felt pretty bad for Dylan, but I've known people just like, and at times been just like myself, Kevin. There's a really relatable adolescent weirdness there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my god those last two episodes

just loving :discourse:

"we bonded over our opinions on Rick and Morty..."

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Finished the series. It's hard to compare it to first season, since the indictment of the inherent voyeurism of the true crime genre from S1 was surprising, while anyone coming into S2 is going to be expecting social commentary. I liked that they were able to go a different direction with the commentary, and it felt like there were fewer contrived coincidences (eg. Rafferty's trashed office, Mackenzie's 11th hour twitch video) to move the investigation forward.

If I'm critical of anything, it's that season 1 had a heavy emphasis on the impact of people's secrets being spread, to the extent where Peter gets admonished heavily by Sara Pearson in the final episode for airing her hookup list out for everyone to see. This season, it's like he learned nothing from that, and is happily engaged in journalistic overreach, even stating that he's trying to drive a wedge in between Lou and Demarcus. Hell, his text letting Grayson know the jig was up precipitated the entire final dump, and no one calls him out on how hosed up that was. It even resulted in a happy ending for Demarcus, and in the resignation of two corrupt teachers. I'm sure the writers didn't want to retread the same ground that was explored in S1 in favor of commenting on people masking themselves and the inherent loneliness that it brings upon us, but it made Peter and Sam feel less like genuine characters and more like storytelling devices.

I think I laughed harder this season, and I think there were better one-liners compared to before. I'm just disappointed that Pat Mickelwaith managed to be a running gag for the entire first season, while the contents of Drew's video only got introduced with about 30 minutes left in the final episode.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

This show contains real conversations about systems of privilege, casual sexism, and the phenomenon of false confessions. It also includes more poop than I've seen on television ever.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 15, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DeMarkus is such a great character

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

(E5) The Gifts of the Lamb trip is the most perfectly "rich Catholic school" thing imaginable.

"Charity! Charity" *Instagram post of kids partying in a resort hotel with red solo cups*

Edit: Holy poo poo, those last two episodes. (E8) It says a lot about the quality of the show that it managed to turn mass defecation from comedy in the first episode to something horrible and tragic in the final one. I spent most of this season laughing at Kevin's desperation to seem smarter than he is, but the reveal that the Poop Burglar exploited his insecurities and ignorance hit me hard. I was terrified that either he or the diaper kid were going to commit suicide at the end of the season and am glad that he got a happy ending.

also, that's a lot of condoms.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 15, 2018

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Gatdamn. Episode 8: The punchline question that Sam asked Kevin

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'm glad to see a Fartington Butts post in this thread.

I really loved Season 1, I just started Season 2 and it's already great, even though I absolutely hate poo poo. But they have somehow made it goddamn funny.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I love the backstory behind season two existing on netflix and how they joked the original version of season 1 was better before netflix 'upgraded' it

#hotjanitor

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
was not expecting this to be better than the first season with how great the Dylan Maxwell character was but I really think I enjoyed S2 more. Better jokes, better social commentary, better satire. Demarcus’ dynamic with Squeak was probably the high point of the season for me.

Died laughing at Demarcus’s “drat, Squeak want that camera time” line

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

S2:E8 I honestly thought it was going to be the coach around the middle of the season, as they bring up the sports ruling the school/having all the privilege. Later on I almost thought it would be both Kevin and DeMarcus each doing some of them, because each of them had good opportunity to do one of them, but others would fall apart. I actually forgot about Greyson until they brought in the girl who's photos were stolen.

I do think it's better than Season 1 overall, mostly because it's more consistent. Otherwise I loved both seasons, and I don't even know what they could do next.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

was not expecting this to be better than the first season with how great the Dylan Maxwell character was but I really think I enjoyed S2 more. Better jokes, better social commentary, better satire. Demarcus’ dynamic with Squeak was probably the high point of the season for me.

Died laughing at Demarcus’s “drat, Squeak want that camera time” line

Yeah, the star of this season wasn't Kevin, it was absolutely DeMarcus. I loved it, and the twists were great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

QuoProQuid posted:

(E5) The Gifts of the Lamb trip is the most perfectly "rich Catholic school" thing imaginable.

"Charity! Charity" *Instagram post of kids partying in a resort hotel with red solo cups*

The skip day in ep 2 was similar to that I thought . But this class seems super small and very tightly knit and also super loving rich.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BioThermo posted:

Finished the series. It's hard to compare it to first season, since the indictment of the inherent voyeurism of the true crime genre from S1 was surprising, while anyone coming into S2 is going to be expecting social commentary. I liked that they were able to go a different direction with the commentary, and it felt like there were fewer contrived coincidences (eg. Rafferty's trashed office, Mackenzie's 11th hour twitch video) to move the investigation forward.

If I'm critical of anything, it's that season 1 had a heavy emphasis on the impact of people's secrets being spread, to the extent where Peter gets admonished heavily by Sara Pearson in the final episode for airing her hookup list out for everyone to see. This season, it's like he learned nothing from that, and is happily engaged in journalistic overreach, even stating that he's trying to drive a wedge in between Lou and Demarcus. Hell, his text letting Grayson know the jig was up precipitated the entire final dump, and no one calls him out on how hosed up that was. It even resulted in a happy ending for Demarcus, and in the resignation of two corrupt teachers. I'm sure the writers didn't want to retread the same ground that was explored in S1 in favor of commenting on people masking themselves and the inherent loneliness that it brings upon us, but it made Peter and Sam feel less like genuine characters and more like storytelling devices.

I think I laughed harder this season, and I think there were better one-liners compared to before. I'm just disappointed that Pat Mickelwaith managed to be a running gag for the entire first season, while the contents of Drew's video only got introduced with about 30 minutes left in the final episode.

I think I like S2 better than S1 but I agree with this.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
finished episode 4 last night, going to try and finish the rest tonight. season 2 is even better than 1 and i didn't think that wold be possible.

one of my favorite lines so far: "i look down with love"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The speech by Demarcus in the last episode was unexpected in its pathos and commentary, especially in a story where the inciting incident is a shared bout of mass diarrhea.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Kids are awful and so are iphones

Also hella glad I got out of highschool before social media became a thing.

Despera fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 15, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Demarcus is the stand out role but Kevin was surprisingly great too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're both soooo good. I'm not even through yet but I'm leaning towards Kevin was written funnier but Demarcus was performed funnier.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Why didnt my school have a gifts of the lamb tour gently caress.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm on episode 4 and I'm enjoying this even though I'm not as drunk as I was watching the first season. Keep having to pause so I can read the social media post.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I certainly enjoyed S2 more than S1. I think because I teach so many Dylans, I have little sympathy for them.

I really thought Kevin's friends were going to be guilty

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finished the second season. Dylan and Kevin are sort of similar. They both don't conform to what is normal so their peers paint them with broad strokes.

I'm glad someone else noticed that Peter instigated the last dump. Maybe next season they'll deal with him doing things like that.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
This show is so loving good. The mystery was incredibly engaging in this season and so many great performances.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I’m firmly in the “season 1 is better than season 2” camp. The first season felt like a lot more students and staff were involved in the mystery and everyone’s lives were so much more intertwined. Season 2 had a much smaller pool of people involved. Maybe it’s just because I went to public schools and not a super fancy rich kid school, but season 1 felt more real to me.

Also What the gently caress Peter. The final dump could have been totally avoided if he didn’t send that text.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sammus posted:

Also What the gently caress Peter. The final dump could have been totally avoided if he didn’t send that text.

Peter gets overly wrapped up in his documentaries to the point where he ignores the potential effects it will have on his subjects. I really liked it as consistent characterisation from S1

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I noticed this season has the same late-game twist as the new movie Searching where a red-haired woman's likeness is used as part of a catfishing-scam, and the the woman herself is completely oblivious to the whole thing.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I loved it when Kevin said “that poem was more Dr Suess than... ... ...something by a famous poet”. Kevin really captured the character of an ultra-pretentious teenager. (For fans of pretentious teenagers I recommend the film Submarine.)

I have one plot query: (Full season) When Peter meets the woman who’s pictures were used for the catfishing, he says that the Turd Burgler had been active as early as August, which I didn’t remember happening at all. Did I miss something?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Comrade Fakename posted:

I have one plot query: (Full season) When Peter meets the woman who’s pictures were used for the catfishing, he says that the Turd Burgler had been active as early as August, which I didn’t remember happening at all. Did I miss something?

That's when the Turd Burglar was posing as Brooke and chatting to his victims to get blackmail material. Yeah, it's an awkward bit of exposition

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

That's when the Turd Burglar was posing as Brooke and chatting to his victims to get blackmail material. Yeah, it's an awkward bit of exposition

Yes, but Peter only finds out about that from the woman he’s talking to. Before he meets her as far as I know there was no suggestion of anything happening in August.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yes, but Peter only finds out about that from the woman he’s talking to. Before he meets her as far as I know there was no suggestion of anything happening in August.

Nah, he would have known about it by knowing when Brooke was talking to Jenna. It's just not explained very clearly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like this season lacked Peter and Sam having a personal attachment to the case, which did hurt the final product. And I also thought Peter's final monologue was way too on the nose.

But goddamn, DeMarcus' final speech hit me hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Loved the season.

I feel Peter and Sam taking a step back makes sense since they're not personally part of the story this time around. They're still developing in the background, with for example Sam being more confident and self-assertive from the very start of the season. Meanwhile, Peter is still trodding down that overtly sociopathic path he started in S1 with his obsession with 'truth finding' and willingness to air out anyone's dirty laundry to get there.

• Locked thread