Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Made the Binging With Babish lasagna this weekend - never tried adding ground veal and milk to my bolognese before but it's good, even if very heavy on the stomach.

Also left out the ricotta because that has no place in lasagna and replaced it with bechamel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Junior G-man posted:

Made the Binging With Babish lasagna this weekend - never tried adding ground veal and milk to my bolognese before but it's good, even if very heavy on the stomach.

Also left out the ricotta because that has no place in lasagna and replaced it with bechamel.

Goddamn that looks amazing.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Shrimp & veg curry.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Junior G-man posted:

Now that's a loving lasagna, aka a lasagna I'd like to gently caress (with my mouth).

But seriously there's a lot to be said for chicken stock / white wine / pork&veal spaghetti sauce. Too many people think it has to be beef and red wine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just more of the same as last time, wasn't sure it was worth posting but we did come to some conclusions and these spring rolls turned out better, we probably made 60-70 of them. We added corn starch to the filling and also woked the filling before that to drive out excess moisture, this resulted in a much nicer spring roll. But the real kicker came today when after the party we reheated leftovers for dinner. They were so much better now, heating them in the oven on a rack drove a lot of excess fat from the frying out of them and they were much nicer, crisp and less greasy.

And my SO made a whole bucket of some kind of pickled salad with carrots, cabbage and onions, really hits the spot with noodles, spring rolls and some nuoc cham sauce on top.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just more of the same as last time, wasn't sure it was worth posting but we did come to some conclusions and these spring rolls turned out better, we probably made 60-70 of them. We added corn starch to the filling and also woked the filling before that to drive out excess moisture, this resulted in a much nicer spring roll. But the real kicker came today when after the party we reheated leftovers for dinner. They were so much better now, heating them in the oven on a rack drove a lot of excess fat from the frying out of them and they were much nicer, crisp and less greasy.

And my SO made a whole bucket of some kind of pickled salad with carrots, cabbage and onions, really hits the spot with noodles, spring rolls and some nuoc cham sauce on top.

These look amazing.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I saw the local Asian store selling little scallops for cheap and got it in my head to try to replicate one of my favorite restaurant dishes ever- the seafood kimchi chow udon from Joy Yee Noodle in Chicago.

I skipped the mussels and the breaded cod, but otherwise it's pretty close. Definitely learned that those calamari spiral guys need to be picked out of the mix after marinating and tossed in at the end. At least I didn't overcook the shrimp!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sex Hobbit posted:

Definitely learned that those calamari spiral guys need to be picked out of the mix after marinating and tossed in at the end.

Oh yeah. Only three ways to do squid: raw, high heat for an absolute maximum of two minutes, or low heat stewing for at least an hour. Anything else is like eating a tire.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pho tofu!

Fuckin yum.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah but what is that drink

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah but what is that drink

Looks like a mojito to me, maybe with dark rum or brown sugar.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Perhaps it's a mojito with bourbon, a bourito :clint:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Perhaps it's a mojito with bourbon, a bourito :clint:

Also known as a mint julep with some lime.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Close! Lemonnana from Zahav.

6ish mint leaves
1 sugar cube (or 1/2 tsp sugar)
1 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz lemon verbena syrup
1 1/2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz water

Muddle first two. Shake with ice and skip the straining.

Tbh I no longer muddle since I figure all the shaking does the trick. Rubbing a leaf around the rim has a bigger effect on your perception I think.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

My mother used to use cottage cheese to make lasagna; I thought ricotta was a much smoother thing and swapped it in. Now you mention using bechamel instead and I'm all :pusheen:

Cooking is magic

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Y'all aren't mixing the cheese into your bechamel?!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Y'all aren't mixing the cheese into your bechamel?!

If you add cheese it's no longer a bechamel :colbert:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Casu Marzu posted:

If you add cheese it's no longer a bechamel :colbert:

Correct. It's betterchamel.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

iajanus posted:

Correct. It's betterchamel.

It's Mornay :colbert:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

It's queso :colbert:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

When we make cha gio we wrap them in a lettuce leaf with mint/thai basil/cilantro etc. before dipping in the nuoc Cham. It was a game changer for me, adds a great fresh flavor and keeps the oil off your fingers.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Getting a head start on the holiday recipes- knocked out some pumpkin dinner rolls today.

A touch underproved and I need to get better at shaping these, but otherwise they came out pretty good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Would eat the hell out of those. I think you can leave off the sesame seeds, I don't think they add much. If you wanted to be cute you could do toasted chopped pepitas.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Getting a head start on the holiday recipes- knocked out some pumpkin dinner rolls today.

A touch underproved and I need to get better at shaping these, but otherwise they came out pretty good.

Look fantastic.

e: Showed these to a hobbyist baker I work with and her first question was regarding Sex Hobbits goddamn it SA

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Casu Marzu posted:

It's Mornay :colbert:

I am so disappointed you whiffed a golden "that's a-mornay" joke.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Ginger and Garlic chicken thigh with noodles/pak choi.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

I am so disappointed you whiffed a golden "that's a-mornay" joke.

:negative:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Crap the store nearest me has brisket on sale for $.99/lb and selling it by 5 and 10's. Never seen that before
e: to be more reasonable

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 22, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Big Beef City posted:

Crap the store nearest me has brisket on sale for $.99/lb and selling it by 5 and 10's. Never seen that before
e: to be more reasonable

:stare:

buy it all

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fill your fuckin' freezer with briskets.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mail me a brisket three for you or me or thee

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made some beef pho yesterday. It turned out okay...just missing something. The flavor profile was there, just missing depth. Has anyone made it before? Tips? I used 3 lbs of marrow bones, 1 lb of shank/shin bones and meat, and 1.5 lbs of oxtail for the broth (5 quarts water), 1 star anise, 1 cinnamon, which was close to but not exactly in line with the recipe I was following (Charles Phan, from the Slanted Door). Kenji’s recipe is similar, but a bit heavier on the spices and aromatics. Broth looked good though, nice and clear with a good fattiness.

I took some pictures but it wasn’t much to look at (bowls were too small and crowded).

Pho seems like something not worth the time and effort when you can just order it from an viet restaurant and it’s amazing. Took about 5 hours and I think it probably should have taken longer.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Beef broth by itself has to simmer for at least 5 hours so it should take you longer. That may be why it was lacking.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Beef broth by itself has to simmer for at least 5 hours so it should take you longer. That may be why it was lacking.

Yeah, it was poorly planned on my part. I think more time, and more spice/different bones. I will also try roasting the ginger and onions on the grill instead of in the oven.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

MSG and fish sauce would be my additions

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lime juice when served too. Acid + salt are your first two things to check when something is off and you aren't sure what.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

MSG and fish sauce would be my additions

Did add some fish sauce to taste but could’ve maybe used more. I’ll also try msg.

Grand Fromage posted:

Lime juice when served too. Acid + salt are your first two things to check when something is off and you aren't sure what.

Served with lime, Thai basil, hoisin, sriracha, and mung beans. I think it needed more time and seasoning, and maybe less narrow bones, more leg bones.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
http://goonswithspoons.com/Beef_Noodle_Soup_-_Pho_(Ph%E1%BB%9F_b%C3%B2)

Simmer longer and add a fresh batch of spices for the last hour. Use fish sauce and more salt than you think you need.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
And absolutely do not add hoisin sauce, there's no point in putting any care into the broth if you're just going to overwhelm it with hoisin. That's okay to have on the side to dip meatballs in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

mich posted:

And absolutely do not add hoisin sauce, there's no point in putting any care into the broth if you're just going to overwhelm it with hoisin. That's okay to have on the side to dip meatballs in.

That’s how it was served. Not added to the broth.