Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

:smithicide::hf::smithicide:

(The first one is for myself being old, the second is for that poor gently caress who identifies with us*)

*: I'm late 1980 so I'm never sure whether I'm X or Millennial. Also the use of "generations" to define broad swaths of population is politically reductive and deeply disrespectful towards people's lived experiences.

iirc anything between 1980 and 2000 is millennial. so no, you ain't genx those people are all pushing 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

remember when apple made a ghettoblaster

remember when apple sold socks?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i told siri "iphone charging mat" and she found this on bing

https://www.cultofmac.com/504175/the-best-wireless-charging-pads-for-iphone-x-and-iphone-8/

are any of these able to charge iPhone Xs over night

thanks

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

remember when apple made a ghettoblaster

wow did you really just use the g word? do you not realize how hard it is to be a single mom making minimum wage? and then you’re entitled rear end shits all over her using a financial slur?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

roboshit posted:

wow did you really just use the g word? do you not realize how hard it is to be a single mom making minimum wage? and then you’re entitled rear end shits all over her using a financial slur?

what got up your butt today?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

this is iphone thread. minimum wage single mom has android. p[lease stay on topic

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Triglav posted:

this is iphone thread. minimum wage single mom has android. p[lease stay on topic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ghettoblaster is a fantastic word and i will continue to use it until someone with authority on the subject (not you) tells me to stop.

urbandictionary says it's a term of empowerment anyway

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

iirc anything between 1980 and 2000 is millennial. so no, you ain't genx those people are all pushing 40

So are people born in 1980 - in three months and change, they start turning 39.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

FMguru posted:

gruber at least comes up with some semi-informed sources spilling about apples awol airpower charging mat
"well and truly hosed" lol

e: it will be a long, long, long time before apple announces a new product that isnt 100% complete and ready to ship

Lol this is Tim Cook’s Apple. Powermat, Mac Pro, the new Mac Pro, messages in the cloud, multi-party FaceTime, iPhone XR... half the poo poo Apple announces these days is vaporware or has delivery windows measured in Friedman units.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

ghettoblaster is a fantastic word and i will continue to use it until someone with authority on the subject (not you) tells me to stop.

ghettoblaster was a term invented by black people and nobody is gonna be offended by it. roboshit is being very offended by minorities not liking slurs today. in fact, it's all he can talk about in the computer forum.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sagebrush posted:

roboshit is explicitly trolling, if you don't put them on ignore just warn them of their impending "being eaten by peasants"

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Beamed posted:

roboshit is explicitly trolling, if you don't put them on ignore just warn them of their impending "being eaten by peasants"

is this a meme

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i too am afraid of pheasants

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

awful little birds

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

gruber at least comes up with some semi-informed sources spilling about apples awol airpower charging mat
"well and truly hosed" lol

e: it will be a long, long, long time before apple announces a new product that isnt 100% complete and ready to ship

I know enough about what went down in the AirPower project to know that all the details in that gruber quote are bullshit.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

So are people born in 1980 - in three months and change, they start turning 39.

yeah people don't really get that gen x and millennials are old as hell and getting older

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Management posted:

I know enough about what went down in the AirPower project to know that all the details in that gruber quote are bullshit.

Was Phil Schiller headbutting the machines and complaining about air friction? Did eddy cue get disfigured when one of his fat dad shirts got caught in the packaging machine?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

The Management posted:

so when can i buy the mat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stymie posted:

yeah people don't really get that gen x and millennials are old as hell and getting older

looks like stymie's starting to feel old

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I kind of want an iPhone XR even though my X is perfectly fine. Guess I got brainworms.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

the xr has worse camera zoom

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Triglav posted:

the xr has worse camera zoom

get a real camera and a 70-200

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

looks like stymie's starting to feel old

what

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Triglav posted:

do the xs work with any non-apple powermats && are any non-apple powermats tolerable

yeah search "Qi charger" on amazon and buy whatever is in your budget. hint: don't spend more than $20.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't buy wireless chargers unless you want to microwave your brain every night

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"hmm, i need to get electricity into my phone. what's the best transmission medium for that? air, probably, right? yeah, air."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I remember that wireless charging was A Thing on the Palm Pre back in like 2010 2009?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I really don't understand why we didn't just do cradle chargers instead. the wireless charging use case is mostly bedside and couch side tables and a cradle would do just as nicely and have a physical connection for fast charging.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
because charger and cord sales have reached the saturation point and a new market must be opened

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

jit bull transpile posted:

I really don't understand why we didn't just do cradle chargers instead. the wireless charging use case is mostly bedside and couch side tables and a cradle would do just as nicely and have a physical connection for fast charging.

The original iPhone came with a cradle.

Ms. Twiggy
Sep 9, 2018

Floppy drives should be stylish and fun

jit bull transpile posted:

I mean I guess this technically doesn’t cradle the phone...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

because charger and cord sales have reached the saturation point and a new market must be opened

why don't they just change the plug again? worked last time

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

why don't they just change the plug again? worked last time

courage

that, and samsung is doing it so tim has to follow suit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

of course the next change will be just eliminating the plugs altogether

too bad they jumped the gun on that and started selling the earpods already

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

my body is prepared

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

akadajet posted:

get a real camera and a 70-200

im more into primes tbh

Endless Mike posted:

yeah search "Qi charger" on amazon and buy whatever is in your budget. hint: don't spend more than $20.

so theyre all the same poo poo?

Sagebrush posted:

no more broken apple charging cables tho

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

dude theyre in the khz range and inductively coupled. you aint gonna heat your brainmeats at all, even if you wear the qi mat on your head as you sleep

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

dude theyre in the khz range and inductively coupled. you aint gonna heat your brainmeats at all, even if you wear the qi mat on your head as you sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

when did you move to berkeley sebastopol