Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm very curious about what the deal is with Arlene/Rachel/Baam. I'm starting to strongly suspect that the stuff with Yura's brother was intended to allude to the situation with Baam, and that, just as with Yura's mom, Arlene viewed him as a monster due to not being her "real" son (who was presumably killed by Jahad as described). I'm wondering what her connection to Rachel is and why Rachel would be so dead-set on doing what she's doing. The story gives kind of mixed messages about Rachel, in that she'll act cowardly one moment but then also insert herself into all these very dangerous situations (with the most obvious example being rejecting traveling with Baam to begin with, which sorta implies some strong rejection of Baam that's gotta have some explanation).

I should mention that I made the last comments before reading the chapters with the fight between Jinsung and Maschenny, in which there was little visual difference between the stuff Maschenny did and her younger self, despite there being a tremendous power differential there. I appreciate the difficulty of showing this sort of thing, though; I think it's easier to show these sort of differences in text (the web novel Forge of Destiny, as a xianxia-inspired thing, has similar absurd power differentials, but it does a very good job of demonstrating them through imagery/descriptions).

I'm sad that Boro and Sachi are apparently (judging from Boro's comment) going to leave the party after leaving the train. I always thought it was cool how long they've been hanging around despite obviously not being main characters. I also wanted Boro to get to have more fights, since he's one of the rare characters who fights in a way that doesn't involve big shinu blasts.

Boro should end up defeating fully-merged White in a huge upset, due to White using a sword (which is a weapon).

edit: Baam still doesn't know about Prince and Akraptor, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think the fights just need more running commentary, Noblesse-style. During his fight with "Kaiser" and many of the fights around it, the self-commentary and running commentary made the sequences both easy to follow and impressive at scale in a OPM kind of way.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
It would be kind of neat to see a high ranker who demonstrates power by having enough control to not produce city-levelling collateral damage.

Sort of a Masamune vs Murmasa deal, if people are familiar with that story.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Regarding the lack of outstanding fight choreography. It's something I noticed with Gosu and other stories on the site in that the biggest aspect of fights are people standing in place and throwing magic blasts at each other rather than the more intimate close quarters combat. And when ToG does do close quarters it doesn't really wow me, lots of simple jabs for the non-sword users. I think in general I don't find many webtoons that have excellent fight sequences, part of the problem I feel is attached to the format of the comic itself not being good for having a steady sense of flow to a fight. About the only exception I can think of was Hellper which not only was able to add the sense of scale and differences in strength, but also utilized the comic format by asking the reader to rapidly scroll down at times to accentuate the speed of some attacks.

I think there is a problem when a punch from Urek has the same feel as one delivered by Baam as far as the form they use. It's borderline like they have no weight behind the punch itself. Which also wasn't the case when Season 2 started and Baam was reintroduced as Viole, he carried himself like a trained fighter and his strikes felt quick and deadly. I don't know a lot about Urek save what is in the actual series but given his demeanor he doesn't seem to be cut from the same cloth as a formal school of martial arts so I'd imagine his punches should be wilder and more like haymakers than something derived from a kata. Yet by the time we get to the Hell Floor I noticed that Baam and him have similar windups to their hits.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
I think Tower of God is best looked at through the lens of a myth like Fengshen Yanyi/Investiture of the Gods:

quote:

The novel is a romanticised retelling of the overthrow of King Zhòu, the last ruler of the Shang dynasty, by Ji Fa, who would establish the Zhōu dynasty in its place. The story integrates oral and written tales of many Chinese mythological figures who are involved in the struggle as well. These figures include human heroes, immortals and various spirits (usually represented in avatar form like vixens, and pheasants, and sometimes inanimate objects such as a pipa).

Bewitched by his concubine Daji, who is actually a vixen spirit in disguise as a beautiful woman, King Zhou of Shang oppresses his people and persecutes those who oppose him, including his own subjects who dare to speak up to him. Ji Fa (King Wu of Zhou), assisted by his strategist Jiang Ziya, rallies an army to overthrow the tyrant and restore peace and order. Throughout the story, battles are waged between the kingdoms of Shang and Zhou, with both sides calling upon various supernatural beings – deities, immortals, demons, spirits, and humans with magical abilities – to aid them in the war. Yuanshi Tianzun bestows upon Jiang Ziya the Fengshen Bang, a list that empowers him to invest the gods of Heaven. The heroes of Zhou and some of their fallen enemies from Shang are eventually endowed with heavenly ranking and essentially elevated to their roles as gods, hence the title of the novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investiture_of_the_Gods#Plot

The Hero's Journey is really obvious, but it's not really the only archetype that informs shonen really heavily.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

Regarding the lack of outstanding fight choreography. It's something I noticed with Gosu and other stories on the site in that the biggest aspect of fights are people standing in place and throwing magic blasts at each other rather than the more intimate close quarters combat. And when ToG does do close quarters it doesn't really wow me, lots of simple jabs for the non-sword users. I think in general I don't find many webtoons that have excellent fight sequences, part of the problem I feel is attached to the format of the comic itself not being good for having a steady sense of flow to a fight. About the only exception I can think of was Hellper which not only was able to add the sense of scale and differences in strength, but also utilized the comic format by asking the reader to rapidly scroll down at times to accentuate the speed of some attacks.

One webtoon that I feel actually has some pretty cool fight scenes is "4 Cut Hero" on Lezhin. The comic itself has some kind of dumb stuff (though I find that a good deal of the humor lands and some elements of the story are surprisingly good/entertaining), but the artist is really good at conveying force/motion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
God of highschool has good action imo

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-316/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=397

Pretty much just a setup episode.

And no panel with just "! / !? /?" for my usual gimmick :negative:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Really? I'd think this chapter would have a ton. Guess everyone couldn't help but talk about trains.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the person before yuri at the end isn't White right? Maybe Arie Hon has shown up because why not

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Jose posted:

the person before yuri at the end isn't White right? Maybe Arie Hon has shown up because why not

Definitely not going to be Arie himself. But one of his descendants, sure.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I think there is a problem when a punch from Urek has the same feel as one delivered by Baam as far as the form they use. It's borderline like they have no weight behind the punch itself. Which also wasn't the case when Season 2 started and Baam was reintroduced as Viole, he carried himself like a trained fighter and his strikes felt quick and deadly. I don't know a lot about Urek save what is in the actual series but given his demeanor he doesn't seem to be cut from the same cloth as a formal school of martial arts so I'd imagine his punches should be wilder and more like haymakers than something derived from a kata. Yet by the time we get to the Hell Floor I noticed that Baam and him have similar windups to their hits.

Sword Interval has pretty great fight choreography. The posing can be a little wooden in the earlier chapters, but it has some really inventive fights, and the supernatural elements manage to be simultaneously down to earth and genuinely fantastic in the faerytale sense. The early one where a dragon was defeated with a baseball bat signed by a legendary player is great. And the most recent battle is a glorious chaotic mess that has involved a tooth fairy themed insane witch, crows that transform into guns and beating up a luck wizard with a ladder and a mirror. It's a western webcomic though, even if it's hosted on Webtoons.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-317/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=398

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Whose eye is that near the end?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Hypocrisy posted:

Whose eye is that near the end?

Second Division Commander, High-Ranker Cheonhee Ha. Introduced in the last chapter.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Will White, live up to THE HYPE?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I like how White got bribed into eating all the powerful people coming to kill them. This will definitely not be a problem later on.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
White fighting rankers is a win-win proposition. Either he chumps them, which is great because it's a win for the protagonists, or he gets wrecked, which is hilarious because white is a loving monster who deserves to die.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hirethor posted:

Second Division Commander, High-Ranker Cheonhee Ha. Introduced in the last chapter.

Huh. Wonder if she knows White besides reputation. Maybe Jinsung introduced him.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Well, Jinsung's about to make an introduction either way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

looking forward to seeing white fight and how strong he actually is. He's a slayer but also just a generic high ranker rather than a numbered one

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the blog says he's not completely back to full strength but also is still counted as a regular when it comes to entering and fighting in regular only places

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Jose posted:

is still counted as a regular when it comes to entering and fighting in regular only places

What could go wrong?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't know why, and I have been wrong about my hunches in the past, but I have a feeling everybody on Team B is going to get sacrificed to allow Baam's team to escape. Hwaryun just seems like the kind of person to prioritize Baam's life over everybody else's.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bam, i know you grew up in a cave, but that doesn't excuse this look

you found a tailor for your pants on the train, introduce them to darting or something

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-319/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=400

White's dad is such an rear end in a top hat.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Huh. White's getting back his full power. That's...news I guess. Hope there is a solid contingency at hand for this because that's a bigger problem in the long run

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I can, sadly, see White come down with a consience and join the good guys, or at least support their cause against Jahad.

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009

nimby posted:

I can, sadly, see White come down with a consience and join the good guys, or at least support their cause against Jahad.

Wasn't that exactly the stated plan though, the lady white soul would get absorbed and maybe make white not such a fucker

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So White just unleashed a full party wipe that unleashed multiple more full party wipe blasts etc down the line? Like the layout really was selling to me that this attack just blasted out and is keeping on going.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

AtomikKrab posted:

So White just unleashed a full party wipe that unleashed multiple more full party wipe blasts etc down the line? Like the layout really was selling to me that this attack just blasted out and is keeping on going.

That's the impression I got as well. Also, looks like Evan is looking to bargain with Karaka?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-321/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=402

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm curious how things are going to progress in the future; I imagine Baam can on longer climb floors "regularly," now that Jahad actively knows he exists and wants him dead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This really needs jinsung and the others to turn up now. Feels like multiple chapters of the same thing

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-322/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=403

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So Karaka is basically a metal lich and unkillable unless you hit his heart? Which is both inside and not inside his armor being his armor makes a separate universe that also contains a bunch of karakas chill murderbuddies to kill people when he's in trouble?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well that all went south in a hurry for most parties involved.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Nate RFB posted:

Well that all went south in a hurry for most parties involved.

I am greatly looking forward to this becoming a massive clusterfuck for everyone.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I love that last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I was confused because I remembered early on they made a big deal about Evankhall being the kind of person to stomp out F.U.G activities which is why Coffee waited until she was off the floor to pull any shenanigans. Now it looks like Evankhall is just 100% down for the cause? Did I forget something in the weeks since we last saw them?