Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've never tried hammock camping but I'm thinking of picking one up. It seems like ENO is the most popular brand I see everywhere but does anyone have recommendations on the best entry point for hammock camping? A friend told me getting a double-wide one was important for tall-ish people he felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MMD3 posted:

I've never tried hammock camping but I'm thinking of picking one up. It seems like ENO is the most popular brand I see everywhere but does anyone have recommendations on the best entry point for hammock camping? A friend told me getting a double-wide one was important for tall-ish people he felt.

I ended up buying my camping hammock from https://dutchwaregear.com/

Very well made custom hammocks for affordable pricing. I bought mine 11' (i am only 6') with double layered fabric. The double layer is great because these guys leave a slit between the layers on one side wide enough to stick your insulation pad into so it doesn't shift at all like it can if you sleep directly on it on a single layer hammock.

They're super light and very very easy to setup and take down. At the time I bought I had to buy the netting separate, but I see now they have integrated bug net hammocks which is good.

I also bought a hennesy hammocks hex rain fly to protect from rain and elements.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Braincloud posted:

Get a pair of mountaineering boots that fit your feet. Don’t choose by brand. Don’t choose by “ooh I got a good deal.” Don’t choose by look. Get a pair that fit YOUR feet. Couple them with a pair of good wool socks (Darn Tough makes great mountaineering socks). Now wear them as much as you can before your trip. Wear them on stairs. Wear them hiking up hills. Wear them on flats. Wear them on downhills. Now accept that your feet will never be comfortable in them and they are heavy and suck. They are marginally less sucky on glaciers in crampons.

If you are going to use sock liners, know this: find out if you’re a sock liner person before your trip. Sock liners cause blisters for some people.
It’s been my experience that two layers of socks sliding on each other is a terrible terrible thing. But it works for others. Go fig! :shrug:

FWIW, I use a pair of La Sportiva Baruntse for high altitude and only wear one pair of heavy Smartwool mountaineering socks. This kept me blister free and warm climbing Aconcagua. I would supplement them with a pair of overboots for Denali. But no liners.

Very useful info. Thanks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

theHUNGERian posted:

Very useful info. Thanks.

Will depend on what fits you best of course, but +1 for La Sportiva mountaineering boots. 3 of us had new pairs of Nepal Cube GTX on a week-long trip a couple of weeks ago, zero blisters between us. I also don't get on with multiple pairs of socks, just a decent pair that keep their spring after a day's walking (bridgedale are excellent, not sure if they are sold in the US)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

I wouldn't buy ENO... At that level you might as well check vipon.com for deals on the finest hammocks from Schenzen Province. With some poking around there, 15$ on Amazon could net you a hammock and a tarp and see if you even like the dang thing. Eno is expensive and there's just really nothing all that good about it, especially at that price.

I do second Dutchware, I absolutely love all his stuff and he has a lot of really clever ideas that will make your outdoor life better

I personally use a Warbonnet Blackbird, which has a shelf, built in bug net, and a footbox so you get a flatter lay. If there's one thing I've learned with camping gear, either go super cheap or spend at the high end. Nothing sucks worse than rebuying marginal gear and spending even more money

Also try asking in the gear thread, there's a couple of hammockers in there:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817829&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Also seconding hex cut tarps, it's the perfect compromise between weight and coverage.

Honestly the hammock itself is the least important part of the whole thing, your suspension, tarp, and insulation are just as, if not more, important.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Will depend on what fits you best of course, but +1 for La Sportiva mountaineering boots. 3 of us had new pairs of Nepal Cube GTX on a week-long trip a couple of weeks ago, zero blisters between us. I also don't get on with multiple pairs of socks, just a decent pair that keep their spring after a day's walking (bridgedale are excellent, not sure if they are sold in the US)

Excellent, I'll go to the local REI, try out a couple, and start using whatever I decide to buy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I decided on the Peregrine 8 trail runners. A little pricey, but people in this thread really seem to like the previous models.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

theHUNGERian posted:

Excellent, I'll go to the local REI, try out a couple, and start using whatever I decide to buy.

Generally LaSpo works for people with narrower feet and Scarpa is better for wider feet, but that's just a general thing. Try them all.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

But I can't use trail runners on a glacier in Alaska. So, do I use trail runners with liner/toe socks while training to harden my feet? Or are you saying I should be using liner/toe socks with whatever footwear on the glacier?

fwiw I was having massive heel blister problems with my hiking boots and I got a pair of these and they seem to have really sorted me out

https://www.ezeefitsports.com/product-p/011.htm

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I decided on the Peregrine 8 trail runners. A little pricey, but people in this thread really seem to like the previous models.

Good choice. I used three pair for the AT and combined with super feet I had zero feet probs.

Saucony has great customer service as well and will gladly replace your shoes for free if they blow out a little earlier than expected.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Hey friendly goons, what's the word in heating up water for an overnight or two these days, without having to carry around 25# of propane? I don't drink coffee, so this would only be for meal rehydration and a random warm drink, but nothing as consistent as 20oz of hot water every 4hr.

Is Jetboil still the answer?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Hey friendly goons, what's the word in heating up water for an overnight or two these days, without having to carry around 25# of propane? I don't drink coffee, so this would only be for meal rehydration and a random warm drink, but nothing as consistent as 20oz of hot water every 4hr.

Where will you be overnighting? You can get a fuel canister for $6 at REI and a stove that'll screw on top for like $12 on amazon. Jetboil will certainly work but may be more than you need.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm planning a camping trip at red river gorge a week from today. It's going to be a test run for future backpacking trips. I'm looking for a secluded spot that's close enough to the road to be effectively car camping without being a fully prepared campsite.

After a lot of googling I bought the outragegis maps. It shows all the offical trails and spots as well as a number of unofficial ones.

Anyone have any recommendations? Will wandering a mile from the road on an unofficial trail kill me for sure?

I am going with a friend and will leave an itinerary with family before we leave.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

armorer posted:

Where will you be overnighting? You can get a fuel canister for $6 at REI and a stove that'll screw on top for like $12 on amazon. Jetboil will certainly work but may be more than you need.

Yeah MSR pocket rocket (or equivalent) and a metal mug with a foil lid has been my lightweight solution for years. Jetboils are nice of course. I got the MSR equivalent recently and it was insanely expensive and doesn't have an igniter built in.. wtf?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

I got the MSR equivalent recently and it was insanely expensive and doesn't have an igniter built in.. wtf?

That part is silly but the the added resilience against wind is nice

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I ask where you'll be camping because in extreme cold you'll probably have issues with an isopropane stove vs. a liquid fuel stove. I doubt it'll be an issue for you though.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ah the pocket rocket, forgot about that. As I currently don't have a four season tent or appropriate bag, this would only be in the Cascades this autumn. Almost one year since I did five days on the PCT from Snoqualmie to Stevens Pass, 75mi, 18kft ascent, and, conveniently my hiking buddy had his jetboil.

(I bought a box of Mountain House at Costco Tuesday so now I need a way to make water hot. :11tea:)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Had a nice hike on a PCT section northwest of Mt Hood. Saucony trail runners held up well. The views were ok, cloudy day but fortunately no wind.

Also ran into a pair of thru-hikers who were hoping to reach Canada in early October. Good luck guys that sounds kind of late to me though! :ohdear:

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
Got back last weekend from an awesome road trip through Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado, and just started going through some of our pictures. We hiked in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Rocky Mountain National Parks. Highlights were the Grinnell Glacier Trail in Glacier and Sky Pond in RMNP. We also found a wonderful short hike in the Wind River mountains near Pinedale, WY, where we stopped for two nights in a rental cabin with my parents.

Grinnell Glacier:

Bighorn sheep, Highlighn Trail, Glacier NP:

Grizzly at Logan Pass Visitor Center, Glacier NP:

Sacred Rim, Wind River range, WY:

Lake of Glass, RMNP:

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 16, 2018

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I really quite like the newer smaller canister stoves, like the pocket rocket 2.0 or the olicamp ion and XTS pot, which has a built in wind screen/heat absorber like the jetboil.

If you want simpler, lighter, and cheaper though, alcohol stoves are great, and the simplest, lightest, cheapest and most reliable are esbit stoves:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C1UGVO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5UNNBbRZVGFTS

I just don't like the smell, the residue they leave on pots, or the difficulty lighting tabs, especially in high winds, or the time they take to boil. Canister stoves are what I've settled on.

honda whisperer posted:

I'm planning a camping trip at red river gorge a week from today. It's going to be a test run for future backpacking trips. I'm looking for a secluded spot that's close enough to the road to be effectively car camping without being a fully prepared campsite.

After a lot of googling I bought the outragegis maps. It shows all the offical trails and spots as well as a number of unofficial ones.

Anyone have any recommendations? Will wandering a mile from the road on an unofficial trail kill me for sure?

I am going with a friend and will leave an itinerary with family before we leave.

Awesome choice! RRG is a perfect first time trip for backpacking... It can be as easy or difficult as you want, and I've been going there for ten years and still discovering new amazing things every time. You can't go wrong anywhere in that park.

Protip, visit the Shell gas station in Slade to buy your permit. The visitor's center is inconsistent... last time I was down the ranger wasn't there and the interns weren't allowed to take money so I couldn't buy my permit there. Plus, that gas station has great jerky and other stuff.

Also visit Miguel's after your hike, they have phenomenal pizza!

You can camp anywhere in the park, but my favorite spots are on social trails that lead to great outlooks. There's great camping up at Hanson's point, and on the rough trail/221 from Gray's Arch. Camping down in the gorge means easy access to treatable water. If you're on top, you'll need to camel up a gallon or two to camp out up there. Most of the easy to find sites are down in the gorge.

Suspension bridge is worth a visit, and there's a great spot down the trail to go swimming and jump off a huge slump rock that's a lot of fun. If you want an easy hike down into the gorge and back up, either start at Gray's Arch or the parking lot at the intersection of route 10 and 221 (rough trail).

Take that down into the gorge, and there's great camping there. Otherwise, if you keep following the rough trail, hang a right to keep following 221, then left as it merges with the sheltowee Trace trail. Everything is very well marked there. Hike back up the gorge on the other side and make your next right to keep on 221. Hanson's point is then to the right, a couple hundred yards after the big bald rocky top with all the carvings (you'll know it when you see it), and the trail dives right into a young dense pine forest and goes back roughly a kilometer to some sweet camping spots. Hanson's point it's further on of you follow the trail right when you get into the camping area. Very worth it, do some googling and I can see if I can sketch out the route on the map for you.

There's a similar lookout on the opposite side of the gorge, if you start at grays arch trail head and go down along 221. Gray's Arch is definitely worth a visit, even if it's just by itself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just got back from Utah. What a week. I have about 1500 photos to work through and I'll write up a big post about what we did but :drat:

Zion

Bryce Canyon

Delicate Arch

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 17, 2018

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Phenomenal pictures as always

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Bottom Liner posted:

Just got back from Utah. What a week. I have about 1500 photos to work through and I'll write up a big post about what we did but :drat:

Zion

Bryce Canyon

Delicate Arch

What the gently caress, man. Those are amazing!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They make me never want to touch my camera again.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

REI doesn't generally have a great selection of mountaineering boots, often just 1 model of double boots and 2-3 of singles (including lightly or uninsulated summer boots like Trangos), if that. As Braincloud indicated, fit is extremely important and in my experience very unforgiving in these kind of stiff boots. Be prepared to order some online in various sizes and return the ones you don't want, unless you have a shop nearby with a lot of different brands and models. Different models within the same brand often fit very differently (even when made on the same last..), and if the usual La Sportiva and Scarpas don't seem to fit you, don't be afraid to try out other brands like Mammut, Asolo, or Salewa.

Also, make sure you get a boot that is suitable for your course. Something like Nepals may not be suitable for a multi day itinerary in Alaska, which will likely require a double boot. Just check with your course info/guides to be sure.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Unless you're really on a budget, I think a jetboil system is worth having over other options. Combine that with a 2 burner stove along the lines of this:
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Triton-2-Burner-Propane-Stove/dp/B00VTJGWNU/ will cover your needs for most use cases for camping & backpacking.

If you're even somewhat creative you can do quite a few meals in a jetboil system, and the self contained nature is nice when you want something compact and easy to pack. I mostly car camp, but I hate packing lots of poo poo and I hate doing dishes. The jetboil forces you to be sort of creative with the food you bring, but if you put a little thought into it you can still eat well. It's also a nice piece of bailout gear if your primary filtration system fails you. I will carry it for ski touring as a backup method for making water which is nice.

Edit:
If someone wants an old whisperlite for the cost of shipping I'd be happy to pass it along. I think it still works - they're also totally rebuildable.

n8r fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 18, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I use this stove with a Toaks Ti pot (750) and I'm much happier with this setup than with a Jetboil that costs and weighs twice as much

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNLSNFR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Bottom Liner posted:

I use this stove with a Toaks Ti pot (750) and I'm much happier with this setup than with a Jetboil that costs and weighs twice as much

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNLSNFR/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah these are what I use. Light and reasonably cheap. The BRS stove is narrow, and might have a bit of trouble evenly heating or supporting a wider pot (maybe, I don't know). But just for heating water rather than cooking it works great, and is perfect for those toaks pots (I think I use the 650 mL).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Maybe people have tons of days on these things and they're great. I think stoves are an important enough piece of gear to buy a quality version from a well known manufacturer. Not many things worse than a failing stove when there is coffee to be made.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

n8r posted:

Edit:
If someone wants an old whisperlite for the cost of shipping I'd be happy to pass it along. I think it still works - they're also totally rebuildable.

I'd absolutely take you up on this - I'll PM you. I'm looking to do some winter weekend hikes in the ADK this winter, and I don't have a liquid fuel stove and have doubts about my setup working reliably.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Yeah these are what I use. Light and reasonably cheap. The BRS stove is narrow, and might have a bit of trouble evenly heating or supporting a wider pot (maybe, I don't know). But just for heating water rather than cooking it works great, and is perfect for those toaks pots (I think I use the 650 mL).

I also have a BRS stove that I’ve used and been happy with for the past 2 years, and no problems yet. My olicamp pot has heat exchanger canes at the bottom that it conveniently slots into. Boiling is quite fast. A bigger pot for 3+ people might cause balance problems though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bottom Liner posted:

I had one of these for about two years, and I really liked it until one windy day, the pot support buckled from the heat, and very nearly dumped a liter of boiling water over my feet. The pot supports are directly in the path of the flame, and it there's wind blowing the heat towards one side, it'll get hot enough to buckle. It's an otherwise nice stove with a crappy built in design failure. Next time you use it, see how red hot the supports get in the center.

Just spend a few extra bucks and get an olicamp ion or pocket rocket 2 and never buy another stove again.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I got a Toaks 650 because the new 550 seemed just a tad small and I'll mostly be using this for food instead of tea. I still have a single burner white gas backpacking stove if I'm planning to bake pizza, and some mid-to-large pots I've previously used that should work for mini car trips as well.

As it was, I decided the Jetboil was just too overpowered for my needs and a Pocket Rocket would suffice.

(Wow these are not your grandfather's stoves.)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Those titanium mugs (I think the 750s?) are also the same diameter on the inside as a Nalgene flask which is satisfyingly space efficient.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

But that’s where the fuel cans go

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have a few pairs of the 7 version. I liked them so much I bought extra pairs when the price dropped (I think the last pair I purchased I paid like $50-$60). Also I wear 14 in running type shoes, and I love the fact their 14s don't looks like complete boats like other shoes. Good chance I will buy some 8s when their price drops right before the 9 comes out.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Camped up in the mountains above the Lac de Moiry for the weekend.

Nice view to wake up to:

Moiry lake is incredibly blue

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yeah, it's one of the nicest colored lakes I've ever seen. If you're a fan of Moiry try the Sanetsch which is on the other side of the valley.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

Camped up in the mountains above the Lac de Moiry for the weekend.

Nice view to wake up to:

Moiry lake is incredibly blue

drat, for a second Google maps directed me to Moira Lake in Canada and I was all gung ho to get a passport and schedule a trip since that's within driving distance for me.

Switzerland though, not so much :(

For content, I really really hate pit toilets. The campground I was in over the weekend had a facility with a clear roof which illuminated the contents of said toilet, and there was a huge stalagshite (at least 4 ft tall) poking straight up from the pit. It was both revolting and weirdly fascinating at the same time

Also, the Moonville Tunnel is pretty cool... My group was everywhere so I wasn't really able to compose good shots, but just to give you an idea:

It's an old railway tunnel abandoned over a hundred years ago, which served the iron furnaces in the area which supplied much of the high quality iron for the union army, including the armor plating for the Monitor. Supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a brakeman that died in the tunnel.

Best part of the trip was a bunch of Pawpaw trees nearby, so we ate really good that night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

January is shaping up to be pretty nice. My wife and I are going to take a week to drive out to Coconino National Forest and Grand Canyon for a week and depending how camped-out she is, we might do a night or two in Joshua Tree on the way back home.

I'm going to not bust my rear end again on a fall and overnight on Rabbit Peak on the south end of the Santa Rosa mountains. And who knows what other hikes in the Anza Borrego Desert S.P.

I'm very much excited.