Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Louisgod posted:

Is shadow ball even available to Mewtwo right now? Just wasted 7 charged tms trying to get it on one of mine and it wasn’t popping up. Wonder if I just have poo poo luck.

poo poo luck. I just tried on one of mine and got it, although it took about 4 tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm up to 25 articuno raids between community day and this event without a shiny

one guy is up to 60 without a shiny

this blows, i got three shiny zapdos and that is like the worst fuckin shiny

I caught an Articuno on Friday and just noticed today that it was shiny because it was the first one I ever caught so I didn't have a frame of reference for what it normally looks like.

So thanks for balancing out the averages for me :)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

FistEnergy posted:

The gotcha throws 1 straight normal ball at each target. That's it. You're gonna lose most of the good stuff; it's for the times when you have no ability to check your phone and anything is better than nothing.

Cons: has a low chance of catching the 100% weatherboosed lvl 35 shiny dragonite that decides to spawn on your way to work.
Pros: * at least it tries, automatically.
* You don't have to stop your bike/car/bus constantly to check for nearby pokemon/stops/gyms
* it catches phantom pokemon that don't even show up on the screen. The arrow just points to an empty spot on the map and says "pokemon in range"
* (for me, personally: i already have a bunch of good pokemon and my dexes are pretty full, so I'm probably not missing out on some life altering amazing pokemon)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I think the biggest loving scam in this game is "Different Pokemon may be appearing in parks around you. It's a great time to explore your local parks!" because that needs the world's biggest asterisk that says "only if there are pokestops and gyms nearby and no we're not telling you if there are any unless you're within 500m of one."

The early days of me playing the game were all about "hey, there's that stream like 3km from where I live, I should walk there to catch some water pokemon", then catching gently caress all because there are no pokestops anywhere near. Same with visiting family in a rural town and thinking I might find something more interesting and finding out that literally nothing spawns there.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
what i love about my gotcha is driving into work (in a capital city), then opening up the game at work and seeing it's caught like 40 random pokemon

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wheany posted:

I think the biggest loving scam in this game is "Different Pokemon may be appearing in parks around you. It's a great time to explore your local parks!" because that needs the world's biggest asterisk that says "only if there are pokestops and gyms nearby and no we're not telling you if there are any unless you're within 500m of one."

The early days of me playing the game were all about "hey, there's that stream like 3km from where I live, I should walk there to catch some water pokemon", then catching gently caress all because there are no pokestops anywhere near. Same with visiting family in a rural town and thinking I might find something more interesting and finding out that literally nothing spawns there.

Pokestops don’t necessarily have anything to do with spawns. Spawns are partially based on openstreetmaps classifications - for example, I lived in an extremely rural area with no stops but a national-level bike road nearby had continuous spawns along the whole thing because it was marked as such in the OSM database. But if the stream isn’t well marked and/or there’s no cell data, then yeah, you’re hosed. I wish there was more info out there about how and when niantic updates their model, but I can also see why there wouldn’t be.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Wheany posted:

I think the biggest loving scam in this game is "Different Pokemon may be appearing in parks around you. It's a great time to explore your local parks!"

My favourite is the entirely nonsensical "You're making great progress toward your First Pokéstop of the Day 7-day streak. Keep it up, Trainer!"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any Kiwi's around willing to catch me a Relicanth?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

bowmore posted:

Any Kiwi's around willing to catch me a Relicanth?

I've got a spare one I would happily trade you, except short of either one of us flying across the Tasman I'm not sure how to make it work.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

I've got a spare one I would happily trade you, except short of either one of us flying across the Tasman I'm not sure how to make it work.
I could log into your account on my second phone and do it that way, depends how much you love me

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Probably not that much.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Is there a way to check what email address or FB account you used to sign up an account? Asking as my kids have a level 10 account that I may be able to use as a throwaway account of sorts here for regional stuff depending on the account I used.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

Probably not that much.
Figured as much, still love you though

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Speaking of, if we can get my kids' account set up as a burner we can use to pass around regionals, getting it leveled up will help. If people can add their account (1574 3891 9020) then it'll be easier to get it up to speed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jono C posted:

What is the Tasman? Is it the Pacific Ocean ?

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Louisgod posted:

Is shadow ball even available to Mewtwo right now? Just wasted 7 charged tms trying to get it on one of mine and it wasn’t popping up. Wonder if I just have poo poo luck.

I did this with my lucky 93% mewtwo, took 17 charged TMs, it was complete bullshirt.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Several people (myself included) have spare accounts made just to be passed around to have people catch their regional Pokemon. While the Gen1 eggs help, there's still all the other regionals to get.

Easiest thing so far is to log into someone's spare and get them a few regionals, and they can take as long as they want to build up the trade dust. They do the same with an account you made, if you need anything they have.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Hatched another 4 eggs: Tangela, lovely Geodude, another Tauros (wtf), and a Kanga!!!

Just need that Mime now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

What is the Tasman? Is it the Pacific Ocean ?
the sea between Australia and New Zealand

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Hey thread, maybe you can help a girl out? Both my mum and I need 3 new friends for the Celebi research but have exhausted our limited pool of local players forever ago. If a few of you could add us it'd be awesome!

IGN DyneAria 9920 0181 1584

IGN SapphiresMomma 7361 4509 7612

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Got a second Kanga this morning and whiffed on the other 8

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
First round of eggs sucked. Should hatch the 2nd tonight or tomorrow morning. Only need one Mr. Mime!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hatched a Kanga - which is the only one I was set to get via trade, once my buddy and I are in the same place at the same time.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Hatched 12 eggs between yesterday and today - got my Mr. Mime! :woop:
Now all that's left for my 1st gen dex is Kanga and Mewtwo... and none of the three cities I play in have EX-eligible gyms :argh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Now all that's left for my 1st gen dex is Kanga and Mewtwo... and none of the three cities I play in have EX-eligible gyms :argh:

mewtwo should be in non-EX gyms when it's just a regular 5* raid boss in a few days, so you can hopefully get that

I'm also on the hunt for a kanga but I've got six eggs set to hatch later today and here's hoping!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Maybe a dumb question because I forget but do accounts under level 20 not see the same pokemon as accounts over level 20? My kids' account is at level 16 and on my level 39 account I see many more Pokemon than the other.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Louisgod posted:

Maybe a dumb question because I forget but do accounts under level 20 not see the same pokemon as accounts over level 20? My kids' account is at level 16 and on my level 39 account I see many more Pokemon than the other.

No, they should be all the same. The only reason you normally get different actual spawns and not just different IV/CPs is a shadow ban.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Sometimes it seems like stuff won't spawn on another device, but it is random and goes both ways, not just limited to one phone. Phantom Pokemon seem to be a real thing, where it is there, but not really visible.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So my Gotcha wont spin stops if there is a pokemon and I have it on ignore catch.

I did hatch a 96 Farfetch'd though!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Soulex posted:

So my Gotcha wont spin stops if there is a pokemon and I have it on ignore catch.

Are you toggling it in the actual settings menu for the game, or just on the touch screen of the wristband?

The wristband ones don't actually turn off catches/spins, they just turn off the automation, meaning you have to tap the button like a normal go+. If you want it to actually ignore them, you have to do it in the app settings.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Got my first regional hatch, a Farfetch'd :geno:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vegastar posted:

Are you toggling it in the actual settings menu for the game, or just on the touch screen of the wristband?

The wristband ones don't actually turn off catches/spins, they just turn off the automation, meaning you have to tap the button like a normal go+. If you want it to actually ignore them, you have to do it in the app settings.

Through the app. I wanted to sit somewhere and just passivelt spin a stop but it kept telling me about pokemon and wouldnt even recognize that one needed to be spun. Im sure its user error. I read the manual but it didnt include stuffike this.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
Make sure the go-tcha has everything checked including Pokemon and stops. Just tap the button and cycle through everything.

My favorite go-tcha thing to do is to go to the nearby 2 stop plus gym and turn off locations on my Android phone. Go home and it'll usually spin for another hour 90% of the time for more items. Haven't figured out how to do this on an iPhone yet.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Soulex posted:

Through the app. I wanted to sit somewhere and just passivelt spin a stop but it kept telling me about pokemon and wouldnt even recognize that one needed to be spun. Im sure its user error. I read the manual but it didnt include stuffike this.

Yeah that sounds exactly like turning auto-catch off on the band while pokemon notifications are on within the app.

Good luck getting it straightened out. I hope it's an easy fix.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Soulex posted:

"The app" in this case is Pokemon Go itself, not the Go-tcha app for updating firmware or settings.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Had about 1km on 5 eggs so I ran out between rains today. Got Sandshrew, Geodude, Grimer, Geodude, and Farfetch'd. Thank Christ that was the only regional I needed, although I may have to trade him to my wife to complete her dex too if she doesn't get one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Soulex posted:

It seems my Gotcha stopped automatically spinning stops in the past couple days. I just bought it last week, and it worked great until like Saturday or Sunday, and it's refused to spin stops since. I've tried toggling the settings on the Gotcha itself and also in the Gotcha app, but nothing.

The "notifications" in the Pogo app are both checked on.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Got the three regionals I needed, so now I'm trying to decide if I should keep farming 7km eggs for future tradables or go back to regular eggs to try and get aerodactyl, which is one of like 3 kanto pokemon I'm missing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

I caught an Articuno on Friday and just noticed today that it was shiny because it was the first one I ever caught so I didn't have a frame of reference for what it normally looks like.

So thanks for balancing out the averages for me :)

Update: I did my second Articuno raid today and now have two shiny Articuno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It seems my Gotcha stopped automatically spinning stops in the past couple days. I just bought it last week, and it worked great until like Saturday or Sunday, and it's refused to spin stops since. I've tried toggling the settings on the Gotcha itself and also in the Gotcha app, but nothing.

The "notifications" in the Pogo app are both checked on.

Hmm, it seems that it doesn't want to spin stops if there's pokes around with no balls. If I manually spin the stops, and it gets enough balls to catch the pokes around, then it will start spinning stops once they're all gone. That seems to be an awful bug, unless that's oddly intended behavior. It should just spin stops until hit has balls to catch.

• Locked thread