Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Thank you, Google, for closing inbox so I can go back to the Gmail app and find out you're straight up putting fake emails in now that are ads. That's pretty cool and definitely a feature upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I just switched away from stock Android to TouchWiz and wonder if there's an easy way to disable the Samsung apps when I prefer the Google Verizon (calendar, clock etc).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WebDO posted:

Thank you, Google, for closing inbox so I can go back to the Gmail app and find out you're straight up putting fake emails in now that are ads. That's pretty cool and definitely a feature upgrade.

What the hell? I've never seen this in the Gmail app, and I've been using it since the Galaxy S2 days.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

hooah posted:

What the hell? I've never seen this in the Gmail app, and I've been using it since the Galaxy S2 days.

It was just this morning, for some bullshit E-curriculum school. Bonus points: if you click the sender's picture like you normally would to multiselect and delete you instead open the bullshit ad. I switched back yesterday after seeing the news about inbox and this was my first time in the Gmail app in months.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

IIRC, you only get ads in Gmail if you're using the option that sorts your emails by category (Social, Promotion, etc), and the ads only show up in those tabs, not the main inbox.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Something is badly wrong with gboard. To demonstrate I will type these two sentences again using swipes instead of taps.

I I Will Have Always LoveA. II I Will Will Always Love And You Hip Can Hop You OffHip.

This is fine?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

IIRC, you only get ads in Gmail if you're using the option that sorts your emails by category (Social, Promotion, etc), and the ads only show up in those tabs, not the main inbox.

Correct. They should only be in the Promotions tab and you can turn notifications off for that tab entirely.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Correct. They should only be in the Promotions tab and you can turn notifications off for that tab entirely.

That explains why I never saw them. Probably also why I never bothered with Inbox.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i mean its still lovely that google is directly serving people ads in their email. its just hard to get care mad about something i never see. :shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

We got ads in the web client eons ago didn't we? I seem to remember some screenshot, probably fake, of a guy getting a breakup email and an ad on the side saying "how to win your girlfriend back". Tried the web client in Firefox mobile with uBlock, you still get the email-ish ad on the promotions tab. But, it does seem to zap ads on youtube mobile web, so that's a nice ad free alternative to the official app.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

hooah posted:

That explains why I never saw them. Probably also why I never bothered with Inbox.

That's just it. They were not a thing in inbox.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WebDO posted:

I meant I didn't use Inbox because I don't use the different tabs/groups/filters/whatever you want to call them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WebDO posted:

And now you know why it's going away.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On a different note, I've noticed a problem with either group texts or Textra in particular. In at least my family's group, sometimes my responses go only to my mom. I won't notice until I get a response from her and see that it's only in our own thread. What is going on, and how can I troubleshoot this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is your mom's phone set to reply to MMS as individual SMS to each person? That would break the thread.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Uthor posted:

Is your mom's phone set to reply to MMS as individual SMS to each person? That would break the thread.

It's probably whatever is the default for either the Verizon messaging app or the Samsung one. Not sure which she's using but it'll be one of those two.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

And now you know why it's going away.

If you're saying that Inbox is going away because it didn't have ads, neither does the Gmail app if you don't use the categories. Without category views you can be unaware that seeing ads was an option.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scudworth posted:

If you're saying that Inbox is going away because it didn't have ads, neither does the Gmail app if you don't use the categories. Without category views you can be unaware that seeing ads was an option.

That doesn't change the fact that what he said is correct. Also you've got it backwards, category views are the default, not seeing ads is the option.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
What's a good driving app? Android Auto constantly has bugs for me. Currently it doesn't output the audio whenever I use google assistant and that was really the last straw for me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i like tacos posted:

What's a good driving app? Android Auto constantly has bugs for me. Currently it doesn't output the audio whenever I use google assistant and that was really the last straw for me.

This Drivemode thing is dece if I could get it to skip tracks on Poweramp 3

Something fucky

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hey Android app goons, got a, *ahem* question about private / encrypted gallery apps.

Anyone know if there are any that support one of or both of nested galleries / albums and photo tagging?

Thanks!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
index of dickpics
-01jan
-02feb
-03mar
-04apr
-05may
-06jun
-07jul
-08aug
-09sep
-10oct
-11nov
-12dec
-01jan
-02feb
-03mar
-04apr
-05may
-06jun
-07jul
-08aug
-09sep

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Weather timeline has been delisted and will eventually be discontinued due to API costs:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/17/weather-timeline-dev-pulls-award-winning-forecast-app-play-store/

I'm satisfied with the Google widget but I know there's some fans of WT here.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
well, gently caress

Guess that means I'll have to find some other weather app that sucks the least when my current phone breaks. Why are all the good Android apps dying (or getting bought by NPR, which is basically the same thing)?!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Booo

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Incessant Excess posted:

Weather timeline has been delisted and will eventually be discontinued due to API costs:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/17/weather-timeline-dev-pulls-award-winning-forecast-app-play-store/

I'm satisfied with the Google widget but I know there's some fans of WT here.

I just switched!

At least WeatherUnderground stopped crashing upon launch/button press.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Is Messages randomly giving anyone else problems? As of this morning it's locked up so hard three times now that I had to reboot the phone. Just hitting on any conversation can cause it to lock up severely.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well this is weird. I don't do a whole lot in Instagram, mostly just follow a few friends and family. I tried to common on a friend's post today and the keyboard (SwiftKey) popped up, but it didn't have the prediction row, and as I typed, nothing showed up on the text field. What the hell is this, and how do I fix it?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Hey Android app goons, got a, *ahem* question about private / encrypted gallery apps.

Anyone know if there are any that support one of or both of nested galleries / albums and photo tagging?

Thanks!

In order to better answer your question we'll need a list of tags you intend to use.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

Well this is weird. I don't do a whole lot in Instagram, mostly just follow a few friends and family. I tried to common on a friend's post today and the keyboard (SwiftKey) popped up, but it didn't have the prediction row, and as I typed, nothing showed up on the text field. What the hell is this, and how do I fix it?

The lack of the prediction row usually indicates that the app has told the keyboard that it is a sensitive text field, which is supposed to be used for things like passwords, which disables predictions and other such things that rely on recording what you typed for use later.

As to why nothing showed up, that just happens sometimes when a text field goes wonky, just like invalid registering of a text box as sensitive will do. You might try force stopping the app and seeing if it goes away.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

manwithoutskin posted:

Is Messages randomly giving anyone else problems? As of this morning it's locked up so hard three times now that I had to reboot the phone. Just hitting on any conversation can cause it to lock up severely.

If you're using a VPN ad blocker it will cause Messages to just freak out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

fishmech posted:

The lack of the prediction row usually indicates that the app has told the keyboard that it is a sensitive text field, which is supposed to be used for things like passwords, which disables predictions and other such things that rely on recording what you typed for use later.

As to why nothing showed up, that just happens sometimes when a text field goes wonky, just like invalid registering of a text box as sensitive will do. You might try force stopping the app and seeing if it goes away.

Yeah, it was fine this morning.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

can't wait to see ads in my text messages

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

LastInLine posted:

I am not. I've had sluggishness today with the app but nothing as bad as yesterday. Very strange.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

YouTube Gaming standalone app to shut down in March 2019 as features migrate to main app. Good riddance.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

butt dickus posted:

index of dickpics

Close! It's actually my selfie collection of scrotum shots!

Heners_UK posted:

In order to better answer your question we'll need a list of tags you intend to use.

Sticky Summer, Hang-low Heat, Winter Prunes, Lazy-Eyed etc.

But in all seriousness, it seems that even finding a standard gallery app with nested albums / folder support AND photo tagging isn't exactly easy.

The only one I've come across is F-Stop Gallery which seems like a really robust gallery and way better than the phone manufacturer ones.

The only solution I've found to having encrypted media with tagging / nested albums/folders support is actually Samsung's "Secure Folder" Knox App, which creates a sandbox environment completely isolated from your standard phone environment.

You can actually install apps to this sandbox as well as copy files to it.

So F-Stop + Samsung Secure Folder gets me what I want... but I don't have a Samsung phone.

Not having much luck finding a similar alternative for non-Samsung phones. I need to find out if creating separate Android accounts means that media from one account is not viewable on another.

Basically just want to be able to share my phone with family members without worrying about them accidentally stumbling across photos / videos I don't want them to see. Big extended family, poor, so young cousins, nephews, and nieces at gatherings like to play with old's phones, not enough to go around, don't have their own, etc. As for nested gallery / tagging... I'm anal about organizing my media and hate the idea of only being able to alphabetize albums.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 19, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
There's a kid mode that may be for you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, or a new account/guest account that you can switch to when you share your phone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

use screen pinning OP. browse your list of apps with the kiddo and then pin the screen in whatever game they pick. then when they want to switch games you have to enter pin and switch for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

use screen pinning OP. browse your list of apps with the kiddo and then pin the screen in whatever game they pick. then when they want to switch games you have to enter pin and switch for them

How does pinning one app help, when the things he doesn't want people to see are all within the same app...