Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Nah, you mean a 2016 rMBP, specifically the TouchBar rMBP 13 or 15 inch.

2015 13 and 15 inch rMBPs still used socketed SSUBX drives, and the non-TouchBar 2016-2017 13-inch rMBPs still use a wacky super-proprietary NVMe slotted SSD.

Only thing that had a soldered-on SSD in 2015 was the Retina MacBook.

That's weird. I must have hosed something up. Better give it another look. Thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Housh posted:

Are you guys going to clean install Mojave on your primary machines when the final drops or is the clean install an old Windows thing that doesn't apply anymore

Eh. It's nice to clear out accumulated plist, cache, and extension crud every now and then, and just get a clean start on building up type associations and the like, but on average, you can just keep applying new installs on top of old ones without any real issue.

If any issues do arise, chances are that something was already broken and you were really already best served by a wipe and reinstall — you just hadn't noticed yet — and the upgrade wasn't really a factor other than to bring that problem to the fore.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 7, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'll probably wipe fresh, but mostly because I've spent the last few years installing random bits of poo poo I don't need anymore, and it's not worth my time going through one by one to figure it out. I'll start clean, install what I need, and then work on hoarding useless stuff until MacOS Alcatraz comes out a hundred years from now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any particular reason why an MBP would randomly begin failing to find any Bluetooth devices? I've had occasions where I will be paired to my headphones, but never actually able to connect, and unpairing makes the laptop completely unable to find them until I shut down and restart.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bad Bluetooth radio hardware?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any particular reason why an MBP would randomly begin failing to find any Bluetooth devices? I've had occasions where I will be paired to my headphones, but never actually able to connect, and unpairing makes the laptop completely unable to find them until I shut down and restart.

Are you using a bunch of dongles and stuff? I have one particular dongle that causes a ton of interference on the left side of my MBP but not the right.

Check for interference and poo poo by alt-clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar. Should tell you signal and noise and stuff.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
So what's the best free antivirus software now? Are paid virus scanners worth it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Head Bee Guy posted:

So what's the best free antivirus software now? Are paid virus scanners worth it?

To run on a Mac?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

the only reason to put an AV on a mac is for compliance reasons

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

XProtect, the built in macOS antivirus.

(I have no idea if they still call it that internally anymore since they’ve dropped the X from the name, but OSProtect doesn’t sound as good.)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any SIP soft phone recommendations? Preferably free. We use shortelsky if that makes a difference.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Housh posted:

Are you guys going to clean install Mojave on your primary machines when the final drops or is the clean install an old Windows thing that doesn't apply anymore

Yes on my MBP as it has an inexplicable black hole in storage which I can only attribute to 4 years of built up garbage. All my other machines are lean and mean.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Is there any setting on iOS 11.4.1 for the Music app to not show the iCloud playable music? I only want to show the songs/albums I synced to my phone.

I found a link about a setting, but it does not seem to exist anymore. https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-stop-the-music-app-streaming-songs-from-icloud-itunes-match-prevent-data-loss/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

Is there any setting on iOS 11.4.1 for the Music app to not show the iCloud playable music? I only want to show the songs/albums I synced to my phone.

I found a link about a setting, but it does not seem to exist anymore. https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-stop-the-music-app-streaming-songs-from-icloud-itunes-match-prevent-data-loss/

Open the App, "Library" tab and play from "Downloaded Music"

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Oh wow, it's right there in front of me. Thank you! The reason for me missing this is probably explainable that I'm also in the wrong thread. e: unless it also covers iOS stuff

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So MacOS Mojave drops 9/24.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
Anyone using the latest Mojave beta and know how to rearrange tabs in Chrome? Is it currently just broken or am I missing something?

I used to be able to click and drag to rearrange tabs/drag a tab out to its own window.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

So MacOS Mojave drops 9/24.
That's cool. Very soon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to change display arrangements between presets? Normally my MBP is hooked up to a monitor right of the MBP but sometimes I move the MBP in front of my so the other monitor is behind/above it. I just want a way to switch between these two display arrangements with one button if it's possible.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just noticed that if you get a confirmation code via text to login or register on a website, Safari autofills it when the text is received. I loving love those little touches.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Theophany posted:

Just noticed that if you get a confirmation code via text to login or register on a website, Safari autofills it when the text is received. I loving love those little touches.

Is that a Mojave thing? I wonder if the Mojave beta is stable now. The iOS beta now straight up says “iOS 12” instead of “iOS 12 beta” so I wonder if the same goes for Mojave.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is that a Mojave thing?
Yep.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wonder if the Mojave beta is stable now.
I think the current seeded build dropped the letter suffix from the build number, so people are treating it as a GM seed even though Apple hasn’t declared it as such. 10 days is still plenty of time for them to bump the build number again though (it’s happened even after a GM seed went out).

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is that a Mojave thing? I wonder if the Mojave beta is stable now. The iOS beta now straight up says “iOS 12” instead of “iOS 12 beta” so I wonder if the same goes for Mojave.

The iOS 12 beta updated to the GM after the announcement so I wouldn’t be surprised if Mojave did the same soon(or already has).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yep, it's been absolutely fine on my mid 2014 MBP for the last month or so.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's not a "little touch", my sense is that that's kind of a marquee feature.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I guess it's no less secure than copy/pasting from messages that are already being sent to your laptop, but it does seem to highlight what a flimsy second factor that is. I'd feel better if it checked for proximity to your phone or something like that.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Got my mom a 2018 13in non-touchbar MBP and I'm currently loading a time machine backup from her old 2008 MBP (unibody).

I'm using an old western digital hard drive I had lying around that uses mini usb and the time estimate thing is telling me it's going to take 27 hours lmao. The backup is 190gb.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Time Machine? In your experience did the estimate drop over time? I feel like it'll probably take all night but not 27 hours.

edit: Dropped to 1.5 hours after indexing woohooo

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 15, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

I guess it's no less secure than copy/pasting from messages that are already being sent to your laptop, but it does seem to highlight what a flimsy second factor that is. I'd feel better if it checked for proximity to your phone or something like that.

Two-factor is something you know, and something you have. Using SMS 2FA intends your phone to be 'something you have', but forwarding SMS to macOS simply extends your macOS device into that 'something you have' group. It doesn't break two-factor itself -- the weak link in using SMS as the second factor is SMS itself, in my opinion, not SMS Forwarding.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pivo posted:

Two-factor is something you know, and something you have. Using SMS 2FA intends your phone to be 'something you have', but forwarding SMS to macOS simply extends your macOS device into that 'something you have' group. It doesn't break two-factor itself -- the weak link in using SMS as the second factor is SMS itself, in my opinion, not SMS Forwarding.

Yeah, that's fair. I guess the device proximity thing is more applicable when what you're trying to do is gain access to one of the devices in the first place.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pollyanna posted:

Is it not seeing any devices, or is the BT hardware not present ? The latter comes up on 13" 2015 MBPros a lot, the flex cable to the I/O board goes bad and the BT hardware starts randomly disappearing. It's a $29 cable and a 15 minute fix (including recalibrating the trackpad because the machine was opened). If the hardware is still there, nuke the 2 Bluetooth preferences files and do an SMC reset (shut down, plug in power, hold the left shift-option-control keys plus the power buttons for 10 seconds. The charge indicator changes colors if it worked).

quote:

On top of that there's the removal of the data port from 2018 MBPs that used to let you, with appropriate equipment, do the clone/backup if the USB-C / Tbolt ports were out of commission.

This is bullshit. We run backups and we still have to do this every month or so. The PCI-E connector the Retina machines used was plenty fast and we could still get at the hard drive in case of an MLB failure. That also made it easy to move someone's drive to a working machine and get them back to work.

There is exactly one good engineering decision in the Touchbar laptops, and that's moving all I/O ports off the logic board to the top case (headphones) or daughtercards (USB-C ports). The worst is changing the battery connector from a big, sturdy plastic connector you hook with your thumbnail and pop out, to a ZIF connection with a locking gate. Every time we open one of those systems, we have two chances to break the logic board.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

64bit_Dophins posted:

Got my mom a 2018 13in non-touchbar MBP and I'm currently loading a time machine backup from her old 2008 MBP (unibody).

I'm using an old western digital hard drive I had lying around that uses mini usb and the time estimate thing is telling me it's going to take 27 hours lmao. The backup is 190gb.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Time Machine? In your experience did the estimate drop over time? I feel like it'll probably take all night but not 27 hours.

edit: Dropped to 1.5 hours after indexing woohooo

Good that it dropped after indexing finished. Is the WD USB HDD so old it's only USB2? Because USB2 hard drive performance is, like, bad. Really bad.

I've done backups and restores of that size magnitude to a USB 3 2.5" external and they definitely don't take a full day. Couple hours, typically.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BobHoward posted:

Good that it dropped after indexing finished. Is the WD USB HDD so old it's only USB2? Because USB2 hard drive performance is, like, bad. Really bad.

I've done backups and restores of that size magnitude to a USB 3 2.5" external and they definitely don't take a full day. Couple hours, typically.

Yeah it was USB 2.0 it was a hard drive I bought in highschool so around 2010-2011. It was SLOW but it didn't take nearly as long as the estimate said it would. I'd say probably 4 hours in all.

I also had to talk to my mom about deleting old podcasts because 100gb of her drive is podcasts and she only got the 256gb model.

Also unrelated but your avatar scares me :(

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also unrelated but your avatar scares me :(

Some unknown anonymous chud paid :10bux: to give me that av and red text because I posted in a Negrotown thread to thank the black voters of Alabama for doing amazing work getting out the vote in the special election which put Doug Jones in the Senate instead of that loving monster Roy Moore. I've left it there because LOL, dumbass, whoever you are, spending $10 on that is such an amazing self own.

Maybe it's time to give Lowtax some spine money though. I've always known it must be a bit weird and unsettling without knowing the context.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Looks like every Apple device is getting updates today..

XCode 10 and Safari 12.0 just dropped.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BobHoward posted:

Some unknown anonymous chud paid :10bux: to give me that av and red text because I posted in a Negrotown thread to thank the black voters of Alabama for doing amazing work getting out the vote in the special election which put Doug Jones in the Senate instead of that loving monster Roy Moore. I've left it there because LOL, dumbass, whoever you are, spending $10 on that is such an amazing self own.

Maybe it's time to give Lowtax some spine money though. I've always known it must be a bit weird and unsettling without knowing the context.

Yeah I gave him some spine money because the Trump Lover thing made me embarrassed to post tbh.

But yeah it's just weird because I would assume all of your posts would be super angry with that image and text lol.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dude the new safari shut down unblock saying it slows it down. Forreal??

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Housh posted:

probably does in a manner of speaking compared to the content blocker api. but from my experience ublock blocks so much more poo poo that pages load faster anyway. just re-tick in in the options

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Housh posted:

From the Safari Extensions page (emphasis mine):

quote:

Important: In this book, Safari extensions refers to the legacy .safariextz-style Safari extensions. Developer-signed Safari extensions are not supported in Safari 12. Safari extensions distributed in the Safari Extension Gallery are deprecated, and Safari 12 is the last release to support them. Safari by default will turn off Safari extensions using canLoad. Instead, use Content Blocker extensions. New submissions to the Safari Extensions Gallery will be accepted until the end of 2018.

Use Safari app extensions to add features to the Safari browser. To convert your Safari extension to a Safari app extension, or to start developing Safari app extensions, see Safari App Extensions.
I should look into Firefox sooner rather than later.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

loving Safari 12 set all my pages to content blocking on, sheesh.

Quick fix to adjust but minimal status bar got deep sixed, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
God drat it, the new version of Safari kills extensions I was using.

What's the favorite ad-blocker for Safari now that uBlock is apparently not a thing?

Also, I had an extension, KeySearch, that gave me useful keyword searches for various websites (and I'm rather annoyed that it was disappeared on me without much of a chance to at least grab what configuration I had for it). Are there any extensions out there that still do that?

Also also, I had a useful extension that would allow me to find out what font any given text (not image) was called WhatFont?. Anyone know of a good alternative?