Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Clutch and brake. Don't stall the car, and use the brakes to scrub off as much momentum as possible, now that you can't pick where it's going.

Unrelated, signed up for NASA-AZ at AMP, October 13-14. Maybe it won't be absurdly hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

heffray posted:

Clutch and brake. Don't stall the car, and use the brakes to scrub off as much momentum as possible, now that you can't pick where it's going.

Unrelated, signed up for NASA-AZ at AMP, October 13-14. Maybe it won't be absurdly hot.

oh hey, car / group(s)?
I'll be there. DE4 / TA, silver S2000 with orange top

vvv ayyy, see you there :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 15, 2018

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Dark green Chevy SS, HPDE 3.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
See you out there :)

Reminds me, try Chuckwalla, if you haven't yet. Speedventures runs there, or they self-host events occasionally that are two or three group formats depending on how many people show up. $175 for 20 or 30 minutes on track per hour all day. I'll be there the last weekend of the month.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Just registered for the 29th/30th at Road America! I wish I'd had more races under my belt this year but RL came up... still, I love Elkhart Lake even with a little weenie MX-5 with no power.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

heffray posted:

To add a bit to this, ideally you want to hit the brake hard enough to lock up your wheels. Flat spotting tires isn't great, but it should keep you going in one direction. You want to avoid spinning, getting traction back, and rolling backwards into the path of an oncoming car. If you lock everything up momentum will keep you going in roughly the same direction, so you are predictable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How is that supposed to work with ABS?

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

KillHour posted:

ABS doesn't really work so good when the car is spinning.....

In such a situation once the tires have lost grip at a high enough speed, you'll basically keep heading in the direction you're going, ABS will attempt to do stuff but doesn't really help matters, probably increases stopping distance on pavement, maybe shorter stopping distances on the grass or dirt. Once you slow down to where the tires can grip again, the car normally has that tank slap moment where grip is suddenly there for some tires but not all, and the car snaps and spins and such.

Once the car lets loose past any catchable angle, you're a passenger, and there's nothing you can do besides keeping the wheel straight and both feet in (brake and clutch). While both feet in doesn't necessarily fix the situation, it's the best option. Not putting both feet in can have much worse results where the car slingshots much further to the opposite side of the track. Make sure to try to keep the wheel straight also, unless you're headed straight for the wall, in which case holding the wheel could break your hands or arms if the steering column shoots into the cabin a few inches.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

KillHour posted:

My car doesn't have ABS, so I never worry about it :shrug:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

On the miata I can occasionally get an abs fault from two feet in on a spin :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

TrueChaos posted:

On the miata I can occasionally get an abs fault from two feet in on a spin :v:

My miata gets an ABS fault from when the emissions guy taps the brakes while the car's on the rollers. One more year...

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

I have so many flat spotted tires from other people driving my car. Fixing ABS for that reason alone would save me money.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like I have the chance to go karting at NJMP. I've never gone karting. How is this going to compare to autocross?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What kind of kart? I'm curious to hear what you think of it, I was considering picking up a LO206 to play with.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like I have the chance to go karting at NJMP. I've never gone karting. How is this going to compare to autocross?

Their karts are gas powered and fun as heck. I would definitely do it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've started considering karting as a cheaper way to do racing lately. Curious if anyone itt has experience with them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I know a few people that did karts and somewhat frequently made the 2.5 hour drive to Charlotte. They're cheap to run, the motors need rebuilds after 5 or 10 hours, you can save a bunch of money on tires by hanging out at the track and buying the take offs from the kids that are using fresh rubber every weekend. If I'm remembering correctly, there's a class that's 125cc single speed (versus a shifter) that is fairly popular.

A kart, trailer, and a box of spares can be had for $2-3k.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Buy a lo206 if you dont wanna deal with rebuilds and a kt100 if you do but dont want to spend 1200 on a top end rebuild every 10 hours vs a 125 tag.

I also may have a kt100 race ready kart for sale around 1500ish in the columbus ohio area very soon. :henget:

Also feel free to pm me and i will try to answer any questions.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 17, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

net work error posted:

I've started considering karting as a cheaper way to do racing lately. Curious if anyone itt has experience with them.

I've done a couple shifter kart sessions at Bondurant and learned two things:

1) I'm wide enough that I just don't fit those drat things
2) I do not possess enough fortitude to hold the throttle / stay away from the brake long enough to be anything but painfully slow. Holy gently caress you need to drive those things in deep.

Very cool, but not for me.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've done a couple shifter kart sessions at Bondurant and learned two things:

1) I'm wide enough that I just don't fit those drat things
2) I do not possess enough fortitude to hold the throttle / stay away from the brake long enough to be anything but painfully slow. Holy gently caress you need to drive those things in deep.

Very cool, but not for me.

That's funny I just did some kart racing at Bondurant last week. I found the fastest way for me to drive was to not even touch the brake pedal, just let off the throttle and turn it in hard and let the tires scrub off enough speed to make the corner. It was so much fun I'm looking at buying a LO206 kart to race if I can sell my rallycross car. I don't think I've ever had so much fun in a motor vehicle.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sex Weirdo posted:

That's funny I just did some kart racing at Bondurant last week. I found the fastest way for me to drive was to not even touch the brake pedal, just let off the throttle and turn it in hard and let the tires scrub off enough speed to make the corner. It was so much fun I'm looking at buying a LO206 kart to race if I can sell my rallycross car. I don't think I've ever had so much fun in a motor vehicle.

The nice part is we have two really good kart tracks within an hour and a half.
PKRA and Musselman

Musselman rents shifter karts out, too. But yeah, I was also looking at a LO206 for PKRA.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Their single speed karts are much more my style, I got to do that on a vendor's dime a year or two ago. I can at least fit in those and in a group of something like 50 random people I came out in the top 10. They structured it as a heat / main event type deal and I finished second in my heat, and immediately turned around and got back in for the main. Think I finished eighth, definitely could hardly pull myself out of the kart afterwards because my arms were so beat the gently caress up.

The shifter karts... they wanted me to brake around here for that immediate next left, and if I remember right it was also sixth down to second.

Vaguely related, on the other end of the spectrum I've also done a run at Whiteland Raceway in Indiana. The most clapped out racing karts I've ever seen, and the first time I've ever encountered brake fade in kart. As in, completely lost them with two laps left in the session.

Not my video but seems to capture it well enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVdy5ijvak

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 17, 2018

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

The nice part is we have two really good kart tracks within an hour and a half.
PKRA and Musselman

Musselman rents shifter karts out, too. But yeah, I was also looking at a LO206 for PKRA.

I live in Michigan so I'm thinking I'll try to race at East Lansing Kart Track, it seems they have an adult lo206 class. I have been eyeing this kart pretty hard for the last few days:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/snw/d/lo206-kart-birel-2009-cik/6651449065.html

I didn't know they have shifter karts at Bondurant, we drove the single speed four strokes on the smaller infield track. You're right, I don't think I'd have the balls to go at full pace in a shifter kart either.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

add 300-500 bucks to add on a seat and a stand to that

I thought that kart looked familiar.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 18, 2018

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

OhsH posted:

Buy a lo206 if you dont wanna deal with rebuilds and a kt100 if you do but dont want to spend 1200 on a top end rebuild every 10 hours vs a 125 tag.

I also may have a kt100 race ready kart for sale around 1500ish in the columbus ohio area very soon. :henget:

Also feel free to pm me and i will try to answer any questions.

So LO206's don't need rebuilds often but when they do it's expensive?

If you have a good link to some basics stuff for adult class racers that would be greatly appreciated. :)

Do you really need a trailer or can you fit them in the trunk of a car?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Trunk of a car is really depending on your car. A pickup truck is a much better bet. A real cheap trailer would work just fine though, and the 206 rebuild is maaaaybe a 100ish$ head replacement, the 1300 top end was for the 125 tag karts, ill look around today to see if i can find some basics

edit: https://www.wordracing.com/how-to-get-started-in-kart-racing.htm the equipment list at the bottom of this is pretty dead on.

good list http://www.kamkartway.com/beginners-guide-what-tools-and-equipment-you-need-to-start-karting/

OhsH fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 18, 2018

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Okay, so this was entertaining to see live:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=70d_fbRuSQk

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That's the best stopbox I've ever seen.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
hello buy a track hack please, dont end up sad like the birdman

small track/walls + rain + street regged car

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
2 trees, some chain, a come along and you'll be good as new.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
E: nm

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 27, 2018

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

FatCow posted:

2 trees, some chain, a come along and you'll be good as new.

track owner offered to lets us borrow the forklifts but birdman wasnt keen :/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Let me know if I have this right please.

Going through a right turn more of the cars weight is going to be on the left side. So on a course with mostly right turns you're best off airing up the front left a little more than the front right?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Possibly no. That tire will see more load, yes, but also more heat and therefore more thermal expansion. So the pressure will already wind up higher on that corner.

You might want more negative camber on that corner though depending on what the temps look like across the tire, and you can even add in some cross weight to reduce the load on that tire like they do when you only turn left.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

net work error posted:

Let me know if I have this right please.

Going through a right turn more of the cars weight is going to be on the left side. So on a course with mostly right turns you're best off airing up the front left a little more than the front right?

no, the opposite. because the left tires have more force on them, the tire pressure will raise more due to the extra load/work which causes higher temperatures.

so you want a few psi lower in the left tires than the right, and then when you come off hot you measure and get them back to the desired hot psi.

now, after you get the hot pressure, you could choose to move the left side 1 psi higher than the right. normal is to run side to side basically even, otherwise it can cause odd handling behaviors. but this is dependant on your specific car and its setup, so ymmv.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
this is the part where I plug that chuckwalla runs events called promoter days / star car days where, depending on the day, it is $150 or $175. they advertise them as either fully open track or 3 group format.

i've been to a few of the three group format days and it always turns into two groups with like six cars in them and we get 3hr of track time, like today

e: also, I think I overestimated how long I expected my first set of NT01s to live since this is just one day. the old stock hankook td hard compounds i had before lasted an incredibly long time

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 30, 2018

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

$100 power session around Barbagello Raceway in Western Australia yesterday. First time taking the Clubsport out on track with my mates Roush Mustang. Surprisingly quiet for how good the weather was so ended up being two groups of 4 for about 3 hours. Only limiting factor was not bringing more fuel along, didn't expect to get so many runs in.

Barbagello is a great track, huge elevation changes and punishing on the old silver whale but the car held up beautifully. The mustang struggled, the auto transmission would overheat quickly and go into a sort of slow safe mode. Was running some RE003's and they held up very nicely.

https://streamable.com/2l6en

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

KidDynamite posted:

Their karts are gas powered and fun as heck. I would definitely do it.

Did it and it was fun as heck. Gotta say though: the variability between karts can be pretty big. Was running middle of the pack for the first two races, then got swapped in to a new kart for race 3 and ended up 2 seconds faster per lap than anyone else.

I attribute that purely to my driver skill.

On the topic of going further, what's the best way of getting further in to racing? One thing I've learned autocrossing my Cayman this year is that I've got a ways to go with regarding to maxing out my car/driving skills. I'm trying to decide if I want to stick to autocross or try to get in to this a bit deeper. What's the best way of going about this? Racing my Cayman seems expensive on the consumable side, especially when I'd probably benefit from driving something like a Miata just as much. Is trying to get in to something like Lemons/Chump a good way of moving forward? Is Spec Miata in my future?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 1, 2018

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Have you done any HPDE? That is really the place to go if you want to W2W, and be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FatCow posted:

Have you done any HPDE? That is really the place to go if you want to W2W, and be good.

I haven't. I was thinking about doing something like Bertil Roos/Skip Barber, but wasn't sure if that was worth doing before or after I dip my toes in.