Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Taear posted:

I don't watch Anime - but when I think cartoon movie I think Transformers the Movie. So that's sort of what I was expecting.

The movie starts in a time skip to the far flung year of 2037, and an entire alien civilization who we meet for the first time gets brutally slaughtered in the opening scene. Gems are now living on earth in a futuristic city. Everyone from the main cast is shattered except for Amethyst, and Steven dies in combat with Yellow Diamond. He tries to pass his gem onto Connie, but it's accudentally intercepted by Steven's new friend we've never seen before: Rodney. Yellow Diamond is also mortally wounded, and her subordinates discard the body only for it to be remade into a new gem voiced by Jolene Blalock.

Rodney and a brand new cast of characters including Connie and the only ever male gem go on a wild adventure through space, crash landing on an alien quarry planet where they meet a character who only talks in internet memes and eventually become friends while dancing to a Weird Al song. Eventually, Rodney travels to Homeworld to save Greg and Amethyst from the new big bad using the power of Steven's gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The big bad is voiced by multiple emmy and oscar-winning actress Cloris Leachman. She will phone in her performance and die two months after the movie is released.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The unexpected reception to the death of Steven causes the Star Vs The Forces of Evil movie to be hastily recut so Star Butterfly is referred to as being in a coma rather than dead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The unexpected reception to the death of Steven causes the Star Vs The Forces of Evil movie to be hastily recut so Star Butterfly is referred to as being in a coma rather than dead.

Said movie will be mostly remembered for the really good opening sequence

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

drrockso20 posted:

And great music by Stan Bush

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Actually funny thing is a bunch of really awesomely hosed up biopunk villains would fit into Star Vs way better than they did into GI Joe.

Pick posted:

And great music by Stan Bush

Mixing our metaphors here. I think.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jolene Blalock.

Nice touch.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pick posted:

And great music by rock band, The Lion

Ftfy

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Posting to say that Yellow and Blue Dee's fusion dance is an intense patty cake session, during which they never break eye contact with their target while the patty caking increases in speed and ferocity.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about the newest Dragon Ball movies and the newest Naruto ones? And I heard the My Hero Academia movie is canon too.

The MHA movie takes place at some point in between the end of final exams and the start of summer break, so it may technically be canon, but no one's mentioned those events and it's had no effect.

Which is how I feel like the SU movie is probably going to shake out.

khwarezm posted:

I'm going to say hard no for the reason that Bismuth reads the most clearly out of all the gems as 'Black' and it would be a real bad look to have her just killed off for the benefit of characters like Steven or Pearl. Also the crew has gotten criticized in the past for how they've portrayed her so they'd want to be more careful with her now that she's back.

You're not wrong in essence, but I'm skeptical about describing Bismuth as more "clearly black" than Garnet, who literally had brown skin in season 1.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The MHA movie takes place at some point in between the end of final exams and the start of summer break, so it may technically be canon, but no one's mentioned those events and it's had no effect.

Movies for long running Shonen series basically exist in their own little parallel time bubble, that have no impact on the main story line or the status quo and will never be referenced.

I think Dragonball Z is the only series that sometimes has the movies act as canon, particularly the 13th

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And if we're going down that road, I think there's also a case to be made for Amethyst, with her whole being born on Earth and feeling alienated by everyone else being a Homeworld gem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pearl was literally a house slave.

Kind of the thing is with Gems is many of them have traits applicable to marginalised and vulnerable humans while not directly analogous.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

You're not wrong in essence, but I'm skeptical about describing Bismuth as more "clearly black" than Garnet, who literally had brown skin in season 1.

It's the accent people forget British people can also be black

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm British and I'm not sure if what I'm about to say makes sense. While Garnet's accent is recognisably British it's also recognisably black.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

No, it does - at least sort of. She's speaking with an MLE accent, which is spoken by people of all ethnicities in London, but is quite common among black Londoners from some areas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC she's basically Estelle using her regular accent. Garnet's character development kinda coincided with Estelle getting better at voice acting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC she's basically Estelle using her regular accent. Garnet's character development kinda coincided with Estelle getting better at voice acting.

I think Zach Callison and Grace Rolek are the only people doing a different voice than their natural one, since they're playing kids but are much older than their characters now.

It's really weird watching any video of Michaela Dietz in real life.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Zach Callison and Grace Rolek are the only people doing a different voice than their natural one, since they're playing kids but are much older than their characters now.

Counterpoint: Kimberly Brooks.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Interesting that the Diamonds are voiced by white ladies. I can hazard a guess as to why that casting choice was made, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, Blue Diamond is Irish...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically, while Garnet also has a black VA, she's not African American, and Bismuth's is. While skin color is the delimiter that most people have chosen to divvy up society by, ethnicity is a cultural thing more than genetic. So I can understand where people are coming from on that.

Android Blues posted:

No, it does - at least sort of. She's speaking with an MLE accent, which is spoken by people of all ethnicities in London, but is quite common among black Londoners from some areas.

For the longest time I assumed that the singer from Bastille was black because he has basically the same accent. Race is complicated to keep track of.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Now I'm imagining a world judged and divvied up by how your voice sounds and it's the exact same thing as our current society because we already do that.

Why are we, as a species, so terrible?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Now I'm imagining a world judged and divvied up by how your voice sounds and it's the exact same thing as our current society because we already do that.

Why are we, as a species, so terrible?

Hey I'll have you know that I speak with a southern accent and I've never had any problems with people making sweeping assumptions about my education and/or stance on political isshahaha I almost made it through typing that

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Interesting that the Diamonds are voiced by white ladies. I can hazard a guess as to why that casting choice was made, though.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the Crewniverse didn't break down the voice actors by race to try and make some kind of clunky commentary on society.

Also I don't know how the Irish play into this from that perspective.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

promo for the OK KO/SU/Ben 10/TTG crossover is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RSV0JNImTg

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pretty sure they only thinking behind Yellow Diamond's voice actress was "HOLY poo poo WE GOT PATTI LUPONE"

Which is all the thinking you need.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Pretty sure they only thinking behind Yellow Diamond's voice actress was "HOLY poo poo WE GOT PATTI LUPONE"

Followed immediately by "HOLY gently caress WE GOT CHRISTINE EBERSOLE TOO?!" for White Diamond.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Followed by "HOLY gently caress IT COSTS HOW MUCH TO GET NICKI MINAJ BACK?"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Infinitum posted:

Followed by "HOLY gently caress IT COSTS HOW MUCH TO GET NICKI MINAJ BACK?"

I still think it's incredibly idiotic that they haven't just found someone else to do Sugilite or similarly for Opal, after all they were willing to recast for Mr Smiley

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Have they when confirmed that it's Aimee Mann's rates that keep her from coming back? I thought that she hadn't even been asked.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Have they when confirmed that it's Aimee Mann's rates that keep her from coming back? I thought that she hadn't even been asked.

i wonder if these two things... are related

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I think there is a tweet from her saying she hasn't heard anything from the crewniverse, and would be totally willing to come back if asked.

I don't think it's money for her or Nicki Minaj, the characters have just done what they currently need to in SU, and that's it. Mr. Smiley got recast due to a claimed 'scheduling conflicts' which could be cover for anything.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There are no scheduling conflicts in VO work.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I think I already mentioned this in the thread (def mentioned it elsewhere online), but apparently the animation industry standard is that Guest VAs usually don't get paid that much more than a normal VA and the actual main conflict tends to be scheduling, not price tag

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I think I already mentioned this in the thread (def mentioned it elsewhere online), but apparently the animation industry standard is that Guest VAs usually don't get paid that much more than a normal VA and the actual main conflict tends to be scheduling, not price tag

I know there's a joke in Know Your Fusion where a sound clip of Sugilite is played and Sardonyx goes "She's not actually in this episode, do we still have to pay her? Yes? Fair enough..." so maybe that's where it comes from?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I know there's a joke in Know Your Fusion where a sound clip of Sugilite is played and Sardonyx goes "She's not actually in this episode, do we still have to pay her? Yes? Fair enough..." so maybe that's where it comes from?

Sardonyx should break the fourth wall more.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it's sad because I love Aimee Mann

Nicki Minaj did a good job too I guess

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sardonyx should be break the fourth wall more.

Ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikeJF posted:

At least Nicki Minaj is famous worldwide. I have no idea who Patti Lupone is beyond having looked up Yellow Diamond after she was in Steven.