Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Jimbot posted:

They going to have perks in V? If so, are they going to have stupid and bad requirements for them?

Hey, you wanna suppress better? Get 50 bayonet charge kills...

So far the progression system that I know of is split into a bunch of categories:
- classes have levels, unlock weapons & gadgets
- weapons have levels, unlock weapon specific upgrades like reduced vertical recoil and stuff like that.
- classes have combat roles which have perks like the support class has a builder role (called something else in the beta) that builds faster and can build the special fortifications that the other classes can't see when they have the tool out.
- weapon specific assignments currently unlock weapon cosmetics but they can decide to put poo poo behind assignments later on.

All the assignments I saw in the beta were pretty straightforward, get X kills over time or get Y kills in one life or stuff that happens naturally when playing like capping flags and defending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Skyscraper posted:

I've heard about this, is it something they're removing next game, or are they going to leave that in?

There is a huge thread on the issue on the BF forums, with a very helpful DICE engineer answering questions. So they know about these things and it seems their only solution is server ping limits.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/738873/#Comment_738873

I imagine they didn't do this for BF1 because there are no servers in certain regions and so the ping limits would preclude a lot of people from playing the game. EA need to spend more money.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I always thought flares were useless until I discovered I can unzoom my minimap view and actually see the marks more that six feet away. Not sure why the zoom is so tight by default.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Riflen posted:

There is a huge thread on the issue on the BF forums, with a very helpful DICE engineer answering questions. So they know about these things and it seems their only solution is server ping limits.

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/comment/738873/#Comment_738873

I imagine they didn't do this for BF1 because there are no servers in certain regions and so the ping limits would preclude a lot of people from playing the game. EA need to spend more money.

Oh, thanks. I figured there would just be an option for the engine to stop being so nice to high pingers. I always aim for really low-ping servers, and just kind of accept that bad things will happen if I get high ping servers.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

kilinrax posted:

Try Operations :)
I have almost 500 hours, and they're almost all in Operations. It can get unbalanced but as long as there are populated servers, you can usually pick another. It's the most epic large-scale multiplayer game mode ever made as far as I can tell! There are a lot of chances for the defenders to entrench themselves even if they are getting pushed back steadily, then start to run out enemy reinforcements.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

kilinrax posted:

I'm not much more experienced than you, so take this with a pinch of salt, but the Cei-Rigotti medic rifle is extremely solid and versatile. There are several guns which are as good, but different, so basically pick whatever you like the feel of and don't worry too much about unlocking 'better' guns.

the Cei-Rigotti is a very solid weapon that suffers from its reloading mechanism and magazine size clashing with how you want to use it - if it had a detachable larger capacity magazine I think it would be one of the best Medic options

since it doesn't though, I think most Medics move on to one of the unlockable weapons fairly quickly since they're simply easier to use from the get-go or a bit more rewarding for time invested in mastering it

some people really do like it though, and it's certainly far from the Medic's worst rifle

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 17, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Cei-Rigotti is like a M1907SL that gives up half its magazine and doubles its reload time for less kick, but the 1907SL's recoil is already tame to begin with. They are otherwise quite similar.

That's a bad trade but whatever, you can do well with a gun that's not mathematically optimal, if you like a 10-shot clip-fed version of the 1907SL then go hog wild. It's not actually bad, just not particularly excellent.

(which is personally also how I feel about the Lewis Gun and the Mondragon Storm too)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 17, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The M1907 is my second most used (.25 autoloader is my most used and highest kill count) and I kinda learned to hate all its variants after doing its challenges. It's fine close-medium but even like 75m it becomes totally useless, and it's really frustrating to fire an entire clip dead center and not even get a hit with a rifle. Heck some SMGs are more accurate

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Frog Act posted:

The M1907 is my second most used (.25 autoloader is my most used and highest kill count) and I kinda learned to hate all its variants after doing its challenges. It's fine close-medium but even like 75m it becomes totally useless, and it's really frustrating to fire an entire clip dead center and not even get a hit with a rifle. Heck some SMGs are more accurate

The factory works fine. Stop using trench variants at 75 meters.

I had the same problem when I used to use the sweeper (which is even worse than the trench tbh). Switched to factory and it shoots fine.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is there a limit to the number of explosives you can put down?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Frog Act posted:

I too wonder why the SMG08 or M1917 trench carbine is bad at 75 metres.

The majority of battlefield's combat takes place in specified zones players are expected to fight in, get closer or tapfire better.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is there a limit to the number of explosives you can put down?

You can drop three dynamite or mines as a soldier, mines persist after death and vehicles can drop six mines.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
After the BFV beta I realized my normal badness at video games was especially terrible since I was out of FPS practice. I dusted off BF1 and kinda fell in love with it again. It doesn't hurt that I got rid of my terrible wireless Logitech gaming mouse which would jitter around and got a simple wired 5-button Steel Series that I love, and got semi-okay internet.

I started unlocking stuff that I hadn't bothered to get, and playing with guns I had unlocked but didn't bother with. I've been doing really well, all things considered, and more importantly having a bunch of fun.

Ross Infantry: Holy poo poo, where has this been! I loved the G95 but there is something about this gun that is just the best. Diving into the fray on points owns so much and this gun is great.

Stelb 1906(?): A little baby Garand-looking thing, I tried it with my old lovely mouse and couldn't hit anything. I think this has the best sights of pretty much any gun. My now go-to medic rifle.

Mod. 1900 Slug: I tried grinding this out but got frustrated with the Auto 12 (which annoyed me since I have a Browning Auto 5 and I love the looks of the thing). I managed to unlock this last night and it's been a blast so far. I know my aim isn't great so snapshots on the point are difficult, but I've been using it just for how fun it is. Blammo-ing back-to-back enemies is the best, and it's like I'm playing as the hunter from Jumanji. I feel like this gun is probably super annoying to get killed by (I can't really recall dying to it often), so that is just icing on the cake really.

I'm super hype for BFV, and I'm glad I'm trying new things in BF1 (going to try to approach V the same way).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I was dicking around a few weeks ago and the 12G is actually not bad on TDM/domination/war pigeons game types where you might have a shot at dinging a player who's already had 10hp knocked off so the 12G can 1HK them. The 12G is actually super good at spamming down the pigeon once it's been released, I think that's the only thing it's actually excellent at.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the RSC is ridiculous. why is it a 2 shot kill when something like the seblaster 1906 or autoloader .35 isn't? it even has a full reload instead of single bullet!!!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I tried it out of boredom on Ft Vaux and it was actually pretty awesome. I mag dumped a hallway and got a triple, I'm sure those guys were pissed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Roobanguy posted:

the RSC is ridiculous. why is it a 2 shot kill when something like the seblaster 1906 or autoloader .35 isn't? it even has a full reload instead of single bullet!!!
Because it's a dlc weapon, and the assblaster was launch

(i'm only being semi-not serious because cue yes hellbeagle existed, but generally most DLC weapons feel by far and away better than many launch weapons, fedorov, rsc, chauchat, 08/18, howell, all feel far and away better (and more versatile) than most launch weapons, at least after many of them being nerfed like bar/automatico/10-a/etc)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 18, 2018

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Xaris posted:

Because it's a dlc weapon, and the assblaster was launch

(i'm only being semi-not serious because cue yes hellbeagle existed, but generally most DLC weapons feel by far and away better than many launch weapons, fedorov, rsc, chauchat, 08/18, howell, all feel far and away better (and more versatile) than most launch weapons, at least after many of them being nerfed like bar/automatico/10-a/etc)

it's kind of a bummer. i'm kinda glad i stopped playing originally before the dlc came out, because i would of felt like i was actually at a significant disadvantage compared to premium players, which i never really felt in battlefield 3/4.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
premium is free today so no excuses

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

premium is free today so no excuses

yeah, that's why i'm playing with the rsc, haha.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Roobanguy posted:

The RSC bullet house is the most important feature. :colbert:

It used to drop off at 40m and fun fact, you could not stop a bayonet charge with the RSC before it killed you because of the damage resist.

The Luger 1906 and Autoloading have high burst damage, the RSC does not. Nevertheless, I think it was a mistake to buff the drop off to 70m, it gives 100 star smle autists and everyone else below that a run for their money. Fortunately not too many people use it, the avtomat has remained dominant since it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubjJ8KHAxLo

A pre-patch RSC. It was basically what the Sjrogen slug is now.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 18, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Roobanguy posted:

It's not so much that the RSC is incredible as that the 1906 is garbage and the Auto 35 is extremely unforgiving (I've seen a few people that are really good with it, but I guess you need a bunch of practice to learn how to deal with its downsides).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Roobanguy posted:

it's kind of a bummer. i'm kinda glad i stopped playing originally before the dlc came out, because i would of felt like i was actually at a significant disadvantage compared to premium players, which i never really felt in battlefield 3/4.

most of the early DLC weapons weren't particularly better than the launch weapons, especially before balancing (and of the level 10 unlocks only 2 of them were good, and then they nerfed the Martini-Henry [because lol]), while They Shall Not Pass had some really good weapons, things like the RSC and Chauchat were more interesting/fun/good alternatives with different damage models than replacements for core weapons in terms of effectiveness

for most of the game's lifespan I really don't think you were at any sort of disadvantage without DLC weapons- Automatico/Hunter Shotgun (and eventually Hellriegel) for Assault, M1916/M1907 for Medic, BAR for Support and SMLE for Scout were pretty much all top-tier options

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
Autoloading 8.35 is a beast.

https://youtu.be/Zinn2_YgSIk?t=10m6s

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

LGD posted:

the Cei-Rigotti is a very solid weapon that suffers from its reloading mechanism and magazine size clashing with how you want to use it - if it had a detachable larger capacity magazine I think it would be one of the best Medic options

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Cei-Rigotti is like a M1907SL that gives up half its magazine and doubles its reload time for less kick, but the 1907SL's recoil is already tame to begin with. They are otherwise quite similar.

That's a bad trade but whatever, you can do well with a gun that's not mathematically optimal, if you like a 10-shot clip-fed version of the 1907SL then go hog wild. It's not actually bad, just not particularly excellent.

The M1907SL is also great, though personally I only use it on closer maps (it feels better to me than either the Federov or the Autoloading .25).

A lot of people seem to love the Autoloading .35 , but halving the mag again from the Rigotti isn't something I've adapted to yet. Still have work to do on timing my reloads. 10 rounds feels like enough, at least the way I play medic. Admittedly, the Farquar-Hill and the Howell do feel like a step up.

My point was that the Rigotti can do work at both close and mid range even if it isn't optimal at either. After unlocking all the guns, I went back to it and was pleasantly surprised with how effective it is with a bit more experience. The Lewis still felt like a step backwards, though.

kilinrax fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 18, 2018

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
A good medic will own with any rifle, because the best players shoot you in the back. Having said that though, the Cei-Rigotti is just not better at anything in particular and that reload takes 4.76 seconds. You can cancel in the middle for 5 rounds, but the timing is really, really tricky.

I personally don't enjoy hitting two headshots using a rifle and not getting a kill, but that's what happens when you use it at 60m+. I try it out from time to time, but it's never my first choice on any map. The irons give an OK sight picture though.
If I were a better shot I could probably make it work more often, but I frequently waste 1/3 of shots (that side-to-side recoil) meaning its capacity doesn't make it more useful than the 1906 or Auto 8.35 for me and I'm able to take out two dudes in one clip with those guns fairly well at this point.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I disliked the M1907 sl (factory variant) at launch but i warmed up to it a lot. I just wish your player emblem was as visible on it as they are on the auto loading 8

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
When I used to play on the PC I liked mondragon sniper for longer range and M1907 sweeper for closer range.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.
Loosely related, is it reasonable to prefer the Burton or the Madsen to the BAR on close engagement maps, or the Huot to it on medium maps? Or is the BAR so unquestionably good that I should stick with it until it clicks to the degree the others have?

No BFV pre-order, so no low weight variant for me.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Scrub opinion but I really like the Lewis Suppressive

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

kilinrax posted:

Loosely related, is it reasonable to prefer the Burton or the Madsen to the BAR on close engagement maps, or the Huot to it on medium maps? Or is the BAR so unquestionably good that I should stick with it until it clicks to the degree the others have?

No BFV pre-order, so no low weight variant for me.

Burton is incredibly strong in close quarters

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Burton and BAR can be said to be somewhat in the same niche, though the Burton has an obviously higher rate of fire so is more suited to even closer ranges, so one or the other is fine. I mix up the LMG's I use just for fun but I'll take the Madsen when it strikes my fancy and I'm expecting to be shooting at more medium ranges.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I've pretty much entirely replaced the BAR with the Burton - if I'm fighting at longer ranges I'm probably using a different gun entirely, and it's really nice to have a weapon you can singlehandedly punish bad pilots with

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the RSC is some bullshit hahaha.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I played for the first time since the BFV beta and holy poo poo everything felt like I was crawling through mud, the game feels so slow.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Lol I was getting wrecked using a marksman variant thinking they didn't have scope glint still. I'm like how the gently caress are these snipers keeping track of me.

Welp!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Does the trench periscope have scope glint?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Does the trench periscope have scope glint?

It does and you can use it to gently caress with hill humpers.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

It does and you can use it to gently caress with hill humpers.

Nice, that gadget owns since i almost always run iron sights on my rifles

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Any tips for the support class? I've gotten good with the assault and medic classes in this game, but for support I always become sniper bait. I'm stuck with the base LMG, which doesn't seem to have much stopping power. Right now when I play the class, I mostly use myself as an ammo-dump for my squad and attempt to shoot and move as much as possible. If I set up camp anywhere though, I get a bullet drilled in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Any tips for the support class? I've gotten good with the assault and medic classes in this game, but for support I always become sniper bait. I'm stuck with the base LMG, which doesn't seem to have much stopping power. Right now when I play the class, I mostly use myself as an ammo-dump for my squad and attempt to shoot and move as much as possible. If I set up camp anywhere though, I get a bullet drilled in my head.

Yeah, support is sniper-bait in all but the most permissive of combat environments (Galicia when you're camping attackers in their spawn). They are your hard counter and they're going to start homing in on your location as soon as you start firing.

Only thing you can do is move after you fire - "shoot and scoot" is a thing for a reason. ~15 seconds is the absolute maximum you should be in one place and if you have a very wide FOV you are probably looking at less than 5 seconds before someone can click on your skull.

Of course, if you play the class like Mid-Ranged Assault Trooper then that doesn't apply. Weapons like the BAR, Huot, and Madsen allow you to be a very constructive member of a push rather than just hill-humping.