Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Demtor posted:

It was nice to hear Stardom brought up during the Observer Report's live fan Q&A before All In when the last question was from a female fan asking why women's wrestling is terrible and where could she turn for quality stuff to get in to.

Poor Woman. Often heard that (Western Women's Wrestling is marketed somewhere between primarily to exclusively to men) from women.

Obviously, SHIMMER and moreso EVE attempts not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

coconono posted:

06 Blue Stars
Mayu Iwatani vs Natsu Sumire
SHENANIGANS Natsu does her usual schtick and then things get wild. Would be match of the night.

I can't remember the last time I saw a wrestler drug out the front door of the venue and thrown out in to the street. ECW from the 90's? The run down the street was comical. Loved it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Demtor posted:

I can't remember the last time I saw a wrestler drug out the front door of the venue and thrown out in to the street. ECW from the 90's? The run down the street was comical. Loved it.

There was a WWE ECW show where someone was thrown into like the Rio Grande or something, wasn't there? I always like when street fights actually go out into the streets, as much as it stinks for the live audience.

Really loved that Sumire match, though. She's obviously not the best in the ring but her character work is so good. Her match with AZM was another super fun one.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got pretty excited when I found out they serve instant noodles at the show. Double fisting some Nissan Original and yelling at wrestlers sounds awesome.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I really like everything Jamie Hayter does besides those knees. They really are no good.

I got myself behind on my own thread, but I've been making minor notes on matches. I didn't have any Must Sees from the noon show, but both Mayu/Hayter and Momo/Natsu are both Highly Recommended.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Phenix Rising posted:

There was a WWE ECW show where someone was thrown into like the Rio Grande or something, wasn't there? I always like when street fights actually go out into the streets, as much as it stinks for the live audience.

Really loved that Sumire match, though. She's obviously not the best in the ring but her character work is so good. Her match with AZM was another super fun one.

Those grandma face and makeup comments hurt more than any chops.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Oh man, the top half of the 8/26 Evening show was amazing.

Konami/Jungle Kyona was nasty. They've got great chemistry, and I would love to see them fight more. Great stuff. Highly Recommended.

Natsu/Mayu was a fantasticly hilarious match. Natsu is genuinely becoming one of my favorite heels. Must Watch.

Kagetsu/Tora was a great match with good action, good comedy, and really fun storytelling. Honestly one of the most well-balanced matches I've seen in a while. Must Watch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Phenix Rising posted:

If memory serves me it was Chavo Jr vs CM Punk and Chavo ended up going for a swim in the Gulf of Mexico. Low key fun feud they had together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goddammit I was so determined to keep up with the Grand Prix but I've still only had a chance to watch the first night. I'm not gonna be able to keep up on everything, can people post a list of recommended/must watch matches?

Phenix Rising posted:

There was a WWE ECW

forkboy84 posted:

If memory serves me it was

Keep WWE chat to the WWE thread please.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Goddammit I was so determined to keep up with the Grand Prix but I've still only had a chance to watch the first night. I'm not gonna be able to keep up on everything, can people post a list of recommended/must watch matches?

Keep WWE chat to the WWE thread please.

outside of the Osaka Night show, you can safely get away with watching the main events. I haven't seen all of Yokohama or the latest Shinkiba show.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jerusalem posted:

Here's my Highly Recommended list so far:

8/18- Rachael Ellering vs Jungle Kyona
8/18 Nicole Savoy vs Momo Watanabe
8/18- Kagetsu vs Konami
8/19- Momo Watanabe vs Jamie Hayter
8/19- Saki Kishima vs Mayu Iwatani
8/19- Natsuko Tora vs Utami Hayashishita
8/26 Noon- Momo Watanabe vs Sumire Natsu
8/26 Noon- Mayu Iwatani vs Jamie Hayter
8/26 Eve- Konami vs Jungle Kyona
8/26 Eve- Mayu Iwatani vs Sumire Natsu
8/26 Eve- Kagetsu vs Natsuko Tora
9/1- Kagetsu vs Utami Hayashishita

Must Watches are bolded. I haven't watched last weekend's yet, but I am very excited to.

e:
Finished 9/1's block matches. While I would only Recommend Kagetsu/Utami (which I added above), two others are notable:
Momo/Klein is about the best match Kelly Klein is going to have.
Konami/Ellering is notable because Ellering gets Real Mad at Konami for being so stiff and throws a temper tantrum the back half of the match. It gives her some intensity that she needs as a wrestler, but the whole thing is real weird.

Also, not a block match, but give Natsu/AZM a go. Natsu is the best lovely heel, and AZM is SUCH a tiny little bully.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 8, 2018

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I don't know if I've ever been more jealous of friends who went to a wrestling show that I couldn't attend than I am of my pals who went to the Osaka evening show. One of the best 5 Star cards; a teeny, intimate venue; and they had the honor of sacrificing their chairs to Sumire's giant death pile.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks for the recommendations guys, will do my best to catch up.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Go RV! posted:

Konami/Ellering is notable because Ellering gets Real Mad at Konami for being so stiff and throws a temper tantrum the back half of the match. It gives her some intensity that she needs as a wrestler, but the whole thing is real weird.

Yes, I'm glad someone said something about this as I was watching that end and going... "what the hell was that all about?" It was funny seeing Chris Hero hand off an energy drink from the table in the back to Rachael as she storms off. The look on his face was frustrated embarrassment.

Also that night Nicole Savoy got a few colored streamers thrown at her for what looked like the first time ever. :3:

Hey Go RV!, can you post that tournament spreedsheet in an excel format or something instead of a just a picture? I've been keeping track of winners and losers and could share with everyone but my MS paint filling red/green looks pretty horrid. We could maybe figure out the standings together more easily that way.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

Hey Go RV!, can you post that tournament spreedsheet in an excel format or something instead of a just a picture? I've been keeping track of winners and losers and could share with everyone but my MS paint filling red/green looks pretty horrid. We could maybe figure out the standings together more easily that way.

I would, but my spreadsheet is on my personal google account and I don't want to give that out to the public. That said, its just done by hand, I haven't done any fancy spreadsheeting work for it.

Anyway, here's the Standings as of the 9/1 show.

Assorted thoughts:
Tora, Konami, Saki and Natsu are all pretty much out at this point.

Red is still wide open between Kagetsu, Kyona, Ellering, Kimber and Utami with the most potential yet, but Red is a few matches behind Blue, so that's going to shake out real quick.

Blue is a bit more narrow with Hazuki and Momo with the most potential points out there yet. Momo's loss to Natsu is going to be rough for her tiebreakers.

It's a little weird that Konami and Nicole both only have two matches left, but Kimber has five.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hauzki/Hayter is a really fun match. Hazuki is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and the same for Hayter, though she's not a mainstay or anything. The 5*GP is my first exposure to most of these wrestlers and they both kick a whole lot of rear end.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I can't tell wtf KONAMI did to Rachel but she needs to do that more. gently caress people up, Rach.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thank God for subtitles, Kagetsu rules.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Go RV! posted:

Blue is a bit more narrow with Hazuki and Momo with the most potential points out there yet. Momo's loss to Natsu is going to be rough for her tiebreakers.

I want these two to fight forever as they seem like perfect foils for each other. Their strike exchange is so good.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Go RV! posted:

It's a little weird that Konami and Nicole both only have two matches left, but Kimber has five.

That is weird. Incoming splits spots for days I guess?

Good recap on the points. Thanks for that.

coconono posted:

I can't tell wtf KONAMI did to Rachel but she needs to do that more. gently caress people up, Rach.

I can only guess that maybe she has a legit sore shoulder or something and Konami gave no fucks and kept cranking and cranking on it over and over to the point of Rachel having had enough.

Demtor fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 10, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Demtor posted:

I can only guess that maybe she has a legit sore shoulder or something and Konami gave no fucks and kept cranking and cranking on it over and over to the point of Rachel having had enough.

At the end, you can hear her say something like "Don't hit me so hard when I'm in the corner".

Rachel also threw a tantrum in that one Wrestlecircus match and just stopped wrestling altogether. I think she just doesn't like getting hit hard, even in safe places. I mean, I'm sure it sucks but you're wrestling with Joshi, I don't know what you're expecting there.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you gotta get over before you can tell ppl not to hit you so hard. Like Jimmy Valiant levels of over.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

9/8 - Nicole vs Mayu - They had good chemistry together in ring. It was a great match too up until the end which kind of ruined it. If my math is correct, Nicole is now eliminated and she lost out via a hosed up rollup. Too bad as she is probably the best of the western women in the tournament.

Kagetsu vs Jungle Kyona - Love it when Jungle goes berzerk with her screams and lariats. Very convincing offensive stuff to back up that anger and those top rope dives she and Tora do, look like they'd really hurt! Kagetsu is just a main event machine though. What's this, three in a row and this one a DRAW?! Didn't see that coming. Good stuff though. Super convincing ref assault, muahaha.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still catching up, Natsu Sumire trying to lock Mayu Iwatani outside was great, but nothing compared to Kagetsu's "3 minute match" against Natsuko Tora. Kagetsu calmly explaining why her boasting couldn't be held against her was incredible.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jerusalem posted:

Still catching up, Natsu Sumire trying to lock Mayu Iwatani outside was great, but nothing compared to Kagetsu's "3 minute match" against Natsuko Tora. Kagetsu calmly explaining why her boasting couldn't be held against her was incredible.

I think one of my favorite things about that match was Tora just sandbagging the whole 3 minutes, like a kid angry at a parent. Two top tier comedy matches.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Tora's growing on me. Her match against Kagetsu there and then the match against Tam from 9/9 - BIG win for her, wow. :woop: She can really bring it. I haven't seen the last two matches from that night yet, but I'd say the bar was set high there. They really went after each other. Lots of great knees and viciousness from both women. Three top rope dives. THREE!! I had flashbacks of watching Tanahashi chaining high fly flows for a second. Props to Tam for selling on the ground like she's really struggling to get up but just can't.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

Huh. 9/9 - I guess draws aren't that rare in the Stardom's tourney. Not sure how I feel about that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God drat, Utami/Jungle and Momo/Hazuki from 9/9 were off the loving charts.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I love how much Hazuki hates Momo, it's really good wrestling continuity.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I got behind due to a work conference last week, but big announcement

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1041901352119459840

The winner of the 5* is getting their shot a little later than usual because poo poo is going down.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Incoming draw is all I have to say regarding that announcement.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DarkstarIV posted:

Incoming draw is all I have to say regarding that announcement.

Maybe, but Mayu had a long run as double champion, so I would not put it past them to actually make a change.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

That's a match to watch. How did Stardom manage Mayu as double champion?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

TV Zombie posted:

That's a match to watch. How did Stardom manage Mayu as double champion?

So, Mayu won over Io on 6/21, and had both titles through the GP (started 8/19) until dropping the White Belt to Yoko Bito on 9/23, and then dropping the Red to Toni Storm when she dislocated her elbow the next night (which is why she wears the sleeve now).

Because it was through the GP, the reign was a bit weirder defense wise, but she defended pretty often, considering. Bito, Viper and Kagetsu all had failed shots before the GP, and I don't believe she defended during it. Her injury happened right after the GP, in Toni's reward challenge for winning.

So, three defenses in two months, not including the GP. I'm a little fuzzy on some specifics, because that was a year ago and I had just started watching then so I didn't know everyone yet.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 18, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IIRC she defended against Kagetsu on GP show in a non-tournament match. But that was a lifetime ago so I may have the ordering messed up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Just gave HM to the Tam Nakano vs Natsuko Tora match from 9/9 holy hell that was wild.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

How old is Starlight Kid? She's in that same rookie grouping as Ruaka and Leo but seems way more advanced and polished than either of them.

Also, that double title match is going to be bonkers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Phenix Rising posted:

How old is Starlight Kid? She's in that same rookie grouping as Ruaka and Leo but seems way more advanced and polished than either of them.

Also, that double title match is going to be bonkers.

cagematch has her at 18, which makes her 4 years older than Ruaka.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

coconono posted:

cagematch has her at 18, which makes her 4 years older than Ruaka.

I'm not sure that's correct, Momo is 18 and Kid is so much smaller. Cagematch also has Leo at 24 which seems pretty high too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It was brought up when she did the creepy photoshoot that no one actually knows anything about her shoot identity so it's all guess work.

• Locked thread