Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

Enterprise makes Hoshi completely obsolete by routinely forgetting they don’t have working universal translators that talk into their ear. It’s a device they hold in their hand. And then later nearly every episode the aliens speak English until Hoshi is needed for some screen time where the suddenly forget they were always capable of just talking at aliens and understanding.

Archer just read a complete pilots console in a different language on a prisoner transport. The entire episode there is a running gag that one of the aliens won’t shut the gently caress up and keeps talking in Trip’s ear. How would Trip even know what the dude was saying?

Maybe a lot of those aliens have UTs

Never excuses the reading, though, especially of technical iconography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Enterprise largely drops the translator stuff in late season 2, at which point Hoshi becomes Uhura 2.0 unless they need her to stay alone with a weirdo in a boring Beauty & the Beast homage.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Whalley posted:

I can't wait for a star trek show run by not only a showrunner but execs who like, or at least, respect, star trek

Yeah the orville is alright

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah the orville is alright

Every time I try to watch The Orville something about it fundamentally doesn't sit right with me. For lack of a better way of putting it, I feel like it's stories are both TOO Star Trek AND Not Star Trek Enough.

When I say "Too Star Trek," I mean that in so many ways the show feels backward looking. It feels like it's wearing a Next Generation Skin Cloak, even more than I ever felt Voyager did. It wants to tell stories that feel like Star Trek stories, that tackle ISSUES the way Star Trek tackled issues, and it does so by such rote that I can't help but find it grating. As a result I just get this bizarre feeling that I'm watching something with no identity of its own banking on a different IP's nostalgia to make people like it.

And when I say "Not Star Trek Enough," I mean that the show just can't help but indulge itself in Seth McFarlane's brand of humor. There are awkward shoehorned Family Guy jokes every time I watch an episode, and they whiplash me right out of any attempt at serious science fiction ideas every time. This isn't even talking about the non-sequiturs, even some of the more serious plot points get delivered in this tone that overflows with like, anti-gravitas. Half the time the show feels like it's a parody with how the characters act either like the Hyper-reality version of A Normal Person, or things meant to ape Scifi Staples, and yet it keeps trying to ostensibly tell Serious Stories between those bits. As a result... I get this bizarre feeling that I'm watching something with no identity of its own banking on a different IP's nostalgia to make people like it.

Maybe I just haven't been watching the right episodes, but I've seen at least five or six different ones now and they all leave me with the same distaste, especially the way I keep seeing people take giant dumps on Discovery to prop it up. I haven't seen all of Discovery yet, but the first 6 episodes that I saw were brilliant and fresh and exciting (except most of the Klingon bits). Seeing Diet TNG With Fart Jokes get elevated above that doesn't sit right with me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Every time I try to watch The Orville something about it fundamentally doesn't sit right with me. For lack of a better way of putting it, I feel like it's stories are both TOO Star Trek AND Not Star Trek Enough.

When I say "Too Star Trek," I mean that in so many ways the show feels backward looking. It feels like it's wearing a Next Generation Skin Cloak, even more than I ever felt Voyager did. It wants to tell stories that feel like Star Trek stories, that tackle ISSUES the way Star Trek tackled issues, and it does so by such rote that I can't help but find it grating. As a result I just get this bizarre feeling that I'm watching something with no identity of its own banking on a different IP's nostalgia to make people like it.

And when I say "Not Star Trek Enough," I mean that the show just can't help but indulge itself in Seth McFarlane's brand of humor. There are awkward shoehorned Family Guy jokes every time I watch an episode, and they whiplash me right out of any attempt at serious science fiction ideas every time. This isn't even talking about the non-sequiturs, even some of the more serious plot points get delivered in this tone that overflows with like, anti-gravitas. Half the time the show feels like it's a parody with how the characters act either like the Hyper-reality version of A Normal Person, or things meant to ape Scifi Staples, and yet it keeps trying to ostensibly tell Serious Stories between those bits. As a result... I get this bizarre feeling that I'm watching something with no identity of its own banking on a different IP's nostalgia to make people like it.

Maybe I just haven't been watching the right episodes, but I've seen at least five or six different ones now and they all leave me with the same distaste, especially the way I keep seeing people take giant dumps on Discovery to prop it up. I haven't seen all of Discovery yet, but the first 6 episodes that I saw were brilliant and fresh and exciting (except most of the Klingon bits). Seeing Diet TNG With Fart Jokes get elevated above that doesn't sit right with me.

I can't remember if they've started season 2 yet but apparently they've mostly dropped the screwball comedy angle and are now just rolling with off-brand Trek.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Has Jonathan Frakes' role behind the scenes on Discovery been expanded for season 2? He's been posting a ton of random photos of him on the set/in the writers room over the past few months and it makes it seem like his role in the series is a bit beyond "guest-directing 1 or 2 episodes a season"

Or does he, in typical Frakes fashion, just show up and hang out and make everyone feel good?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drone posted:

Has Jonathan Frakes' role behind the scenes on Discovery been expanded for season 2? He's been posting a ton of random photos of him on the set/in the writers room over the past few months and it makes it seem like his role in the series is a bit beyond "guest-directing 1 or 2 episodes a season"

Or does he, in typical Frakes fashion, just show up and hang out and make everyone feel good?

He just wears his stunning mom jeans around the set and boosts crew morale.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I totally get why someone could watch The Orville and become overwhelmed by the "knockoff" feeling; I love TNG too and while this show's nostalgic approach doesn't bother me at all personally, I don't think that if I were going to make a Trek series in 2018 I would shoot and edit it exactly the same way TNG was in 1993. Then again, sci fi has been in such a depressive rut since even before 9/11 I find it kind of refreshing to see a show where the sets aren't lit like a loving nightclub and there are more colours than just blue (even *good* sci fi shows fall victim to this, I'm looking at you The Expanse). I also don't think they do Family Guy style humour, I can't recall any cutaway gags and overall the tone of the show feels more like the Stargate franchise before they crawled up their own asses and tried ripping off BSG too.

One of these shows is intended as an homage to a particular kind of series that doesn't exist on TV anymore made by someone who understood at least some of the reasons why people loved them, and the other is a grim, messy and cynical pastiche of modern cable drama tropes with transparently focus-grouped fanservice sprinkled liberally over top made by people who want it to prop up a streaming service. Diet TNG with Fart Jokes may not be breaking any new ground but at least it's earnest about what it is, and for all it's nostalgic impulses it doesn't rely on connecting everything directly with Spock and TOS in order to get anyone to care about it's characters or it's setting

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want a sitcom in the Trek world. Trek has always had fun with itself, so why not? poo poo, set it when Spock was a kid, growing up at home with Sarek and Sybok, I'm sure there's a decent mine of humour there, with Spock constantly fighting against emotions while the rest of his family is super interested in them.

Two and a Half Vulcans

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Please don't give them any more Spock ideas...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
An autistic but genius life-form acting far older than his years would suggest possible, offending adults by exposing their hypocrisies and foibles while simultaneously misunderstanding even the most basic social cues

From the creators of The Big Voyager Theory comes

Young Data

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Hot off the trend of the hit CBS spinoff series 'Young Sheldon', comes a new take on a well loved series, starring an iconic character as you've never seen him before. Premiering this fall on CBS All Access, 'Young Spock' introduces us to the origins of Spock, Sybock, Michael and new sibling Jasmine through their misadventures growing up on the planet Vulcan, avoiding the watchful eyes of Sarek and Uncle Bradley.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 18, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Even Younger Wesley

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Star Trek: Worf: Origins: Requiem

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All my Vorta

please

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

All my Vorta

please
“Weyoun and his family of clones had a great life....until those nasty Breen moved next door and swept the Founder off her feet!”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Welcome Back Kotter, except it’s Weyoun as Kotter. Same scripts and everything, don’t even change a word.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Morn About You
Jamaharon in the City
Two Guys, A Girl, and a Root Beer Place
George & Grace
Great Bolian Bake-Off

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Bachelor
Starring Garret Wang

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Alf except it's about a human who lands on Kronos sometime in the 1980s somehow and the house of Mogh has to keep him a secret.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
How I Met Your Prophet

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

or How I Met Your Moogie

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cheers but it's in Ten-Forward and Morn's back

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Drone posted:

How I Met Your Moogie

It's Always Sunny in Ferenginar .

Fresh Prince of Bajor.

Silicon Based Life Form Valley.

The Weyoun Brothers.

Remus 911.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Mudd About You

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Bloop posted:

An autistic but genius life-form acting far older than his years would suggest possible, offending adults by exposing their hypocrisies and foibles while simultaneously misunderstanding even the most basic social cues

From the creators of The Big Voyager Theory comes

Young Data

His catchphrase would be "positronic"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Watching "The Outcast", as a gay adult male, for the first time since I was a teenager.

First off: episode is very good, but...Rick Berman is a total rear end in a top hat

Second off: wtf I totally forgot there was a period where Geordi had a beard.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 18, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

S03E17 - Sins of the Father. God drat this klingon's leather getup is squeaky.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
RIP Charles. She killed herself right after she named herself.

E: ..... itself?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Tighclops posted:

I totally get why someone could watch The Orville and become overwhelmed by the "knockoff" feeling; I love TNG too and while this show's nostalgic approach doesn't bother me at all personally, I don't think that if I were going to make a Trek series in 2018 I would shoot and edit it exactly the same way TNG was in 1993. Then again, sci fi has been in such a depressive rut since even before 9/11 I find it kind of refreshing to see a show where the sets aren't lit like a loving nightclub and there are more colours than just blue (even *good* sci fi shows fall victim to this, I'm looking at you The Expanse). I also don't think they do Family Guy style humour, I can't recall any cutaway gags and overall the tone of the show feels more like the Stargate franchise before they crawled up their own asses and tried ripping off BSG too.

One of these shows is intended as an homage to a particular kind of series that doesn't exist on TV anymore made by someone who understood at least some of the reasons why people loved them, and the other is a grim, messy and cynical pastiche of modern cable drama tropes with transparently focus-grouped fanservice sprinkled liberally over top made by people who want it to prop up a streaming service. Diet TNG with Fart Jokes may not be breaking any new ground but at least it's earnest about what it is, and for all it's nostalgic impulses it doesn't rely on connecting everything directly with Spock and TOS in order to get anyone to care about it's characters or it's setting

When I said "Family guy style humor," I was mostly talking about Non-Sequitur off-color jokes, like in an episode I watched the other day where when discussing a 2-Dimensional world the helmsman made "oblique," references to how 4th Dimensional beings might be watching him masturbate in his bunk. Family Guy is as full of those kinds of jokes as it is cutaway gags.

As for the second part, again, I admit I haven't seen past Episode 6, and maybe it falls off a giant cliff after the point I've seen, but other than the Drowned In Blue color scheme and BSG Gritty Lighting, I just don't agree with how you're characterizing Discovery here. Especially not the tie-ins to Spock/TOS, the episode where Michael goes into Sarek's mind and it turns out he sold out her future for the sake of his son was a really cool way to make that connection about more than just pointless fanservice IMO. There are broad strokes about Discovery that on paper seem like bad fanfic, but in their execution I've never been disappointed by them.

Well, like I said, maybe after what I've seen it turns to poo poo. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to use the free trial on that lovely not-netflix and marathon it before I have to pay. But either way seeing people bury a show that I've so far really loved to try and prop up a show that keeps rubbing me the wrong way isn't helping my efforts to give Orville a fair shake.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I can't remember if they've started season 2 yet but apparently they've mostly dropped the screwball comedy angle and are now just rolling with off-brand Trek.

Well, that would certainly help.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I still don't think I've ever yet encountered a single example of anyone disliking the Orville, who does so without referencing a (it seems) personal vendetta against Family Guy, and usually MacFarlane specifically.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've fuckin got one for how often it derails the fuckin star trek threads

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Pick posted:

I've fuckin got one for how often it derails the fuckin star trek threads

Its the best Star Trek since DS9 so v:shobon:v

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I still don't think I've ever yet encountered a single example of anyone disliking the Orville, who does so without referencing a (it seems) personal vendetta against Family Guy, and usually MacFarlane specifically.

For the record I don't have a vendetta against Family Guy. My point was that that style of humor constantly sucks me out of what seems to be earnest attempts at serious science fiction by undermining any attempt at gravitas.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Its not wrong to have a vendetta against Family Guy

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

For the record I don't have a vendetta against Family Guy. My point was that that style of humor constantly sucks me out of what seems to be earnest attempts at serious science fiction by undermining any attempt at gravitas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, the Enterprise-E bridge sucks so much.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

Man, the Enterprise-E bridge sucks so much.

What bothers me about the E bridge is that I could never get a full sense of how it was laid out. The D bridge (and gently caress, the TOS bridge too) were so well designed that they were almost a character in themselves.

Sadly, Ops in DS9 suffered the same “I don’t know where anything is” fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Until I decided to bother, I didn't even know where ops was on ds9 lol. I mean you can assume maybe the center, but center top? center bottom? you don't know. it was made by lizards. i have no idea where the toilets are.