Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

Avatar (the cartoon) is coming back as a brand new Netflix-exclusive live action series penned by the original writers:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229
That sounds like a sort of bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xelkelvos posted:

What about Super Duper Sumos?

I have limits to my scattershot nostalgia, thankfully.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

mystes posted:

That sounds like a sort of bad idea.

It's a special kind of bad idea where even if it works out and it's good... what's the point? ATLA already exists and is great. Barely a decade old.

It's particularly ehhh to me because we have ATLA in the 20s, ATLA in Space and ATLA with Dragon out there already. Sure, there's debates to be had about the quality of all those, but they all take the ATLA roots and go somewhere else with it, and that's more interesting than just going back to ATLA and do it over.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's a special kind of bad idea where even if it works out and it's good... what's the point? ATLA already exists and is great. Barely a decade old.

It's particularly ehhh to me because we have ATLA in the 20s, ATLA in Space and ATLA with Dragon out there already. Sure, there's debates to be had about the quality of all those, but they all take the ATLA roots and go somewhere else with it, and that's more interesting than just going back to ATLA and do it over.

Which one is ATLA in Space?

Actually which one is ATLA in the 20s also?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

theblackw0lf posted:

Which one is ATLA in Space?

Actually which one is ATLA in the 20s also?

The new Voltron show on Netflix and Legend of Korra respectively.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Honestly, I can't imagine that there's any real motivation except the fact that it's an easy way to make a Netflix original series.

Although if this is a sign that Netflix is now going to focus on churning out "stuff like Avatar" the way it has been churning out crappy superhero shows, I might not complain too much.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well it does say that this is going to be a new show rather than an adaptation of the original and the original creators are directly involved. Maybe this will turn out ok but I'm not sure why it needs to be live action.

Speaking of Avatar, was the recent Korra graphic novel any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 18, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Show creator: our episodes are written so that viewers can get an overall feel for the developing story without needing to worry about specific continuity.
Show's home network: [schedules what's reportedly the third episode of a three-episode arc before the first two]

Miraculoooooooooooous.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Doesn't Nick own the Avatar IP? Why is it on Netflix?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

I guess the only two possibilities are that Nick only has the rights to the existing series (and the creators have the results to the name) or that Netflix licensed it from Nick? I don't know if there's any way to find out which is the case.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Macrame_God posted:

This wouldn't be the first time Nick did shows for Netflix, one of their other shows, Pinky Malinky, was supposed to air exclusively on Netflix this summer. Granted then it got pulled at the last minute, so no one knows what's going on with that: https://deadline.com/2018/06/nickelodeon-produce-animated-tv-show-pinky-malinky-netflix-1202414972/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Plus wasn't Korra being broadcast almost exclusively online by the end of its run anyway?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Cashing in on nostalgia is where the money's at. All those kids who liked the show when they were 10 are now 20 somethings with disposable incomes. And since ATLA still looks great, you can't just re-animate it the same way. It's either live action or 3D CG.

Might as well take the road where the odds of failure are probably higher! :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a feeling it's gonna be slightly more adult (by that I mean the humor is going to be toned down and there won't be any Great Divide at all).

I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I love the Avatar universe and its characters so being able to spend more time with them could be good. On the other hand, I have a really, really hard time thinking of how live action could do the show any justice. Casting good actors that are accomplished enough martial artists to sell the bending is going to be incredibly tough, and even with a giant budget and ILM the bending in the movie still looked like shiiiiit.

I'd much rather that Netflix had ordered a new animated Avatar series.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

asecondduck posted:

even with a giant budget and ILM the bending in the movie still looked like shiiiiit

Someone post the incredibly slow moving rock gif.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You'd think that the movie would have dissuaded any further live action plans, but apparently the creators see something in it to make it worth while.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Just animate the comics like they should have in the first place. Wouldn't be surprised if this turns out like that monkey king show on Netflix.

Also the creators were behind Korra too and that doesn't give me much faith in them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

asecondduck posted:

Casting good actors that are accomplished enough martial artists to sell the bending is going to be incredibly tough, and even with a giant budget and ILM the bending in the movie still looked like shiiiiit.
I think that's where fight choreographers work with the director and VFX people to accomplish something.
SlowRockBending.gif sucks because the direction of the scene sucks. The rest of the bending sucks because half the time they're doing some vague harry potter woo woo and everything is so loving slow

You have a group of guys in the back just doing Gymkata slowly and the camera does an intensely languid pan when the one sad rock pops up. There's no sense of scale, of wonder, the guys are just dancing for some reason and a baseball of dirt flies across while everyone just pauses to watch?
Shoot it like a Shaw brothers film.

BendingGroup is shot low at a dutch angle. They step forward aggressively, the ground fractures and dust flies up. Then a few shots of the guys in the back harnessing all that poo poo to create fuckoff boulders, which two guys punch in unison to send them flying. Get your actors that crazy Matrix training so that they don't look like 10 cent TKD dojo students. :rant:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Larryb posted:

Avatar (the cartoon) is coming back as a brand new Netflix-exclusive live action series penned by the original writers:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229

Wish I screenshot the post when I saw it because I would get a ton of use out of it but I'll recreate it to the best of my ability.

I've sometimes seen live action things and thought "this would be super cool animated" but I have NEVER seen something animated and said "boy I wish this was live action".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Wish I screenshot the post when I saw it because I would get a ton of use out of it but I'll recreate it to the best of my ability.

I've sometimes seen live action things and thought "this would be super cool animated" but I have NEVER seen something animated and said "boy I wish this was live action".

I feel like the CGI Clone Wars and Rebels would have benefited from being live action but I don't think those can really count because they were animated for practical and monetary reasons, not stylistic ones.

Pretty much every other animated property uses the medium to its advantage in some way that would be lost in a live action version. Even really basic shows like Family Guy or oddball examples like the animated half-season of Adam Ruins Everything that came out earlier this year benefit from being animated.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 19, 2018

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

The follow up to the ATLA live action movie we’ve all been waiting for! :toot:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So the people who do the Miraculous villain designs really weren't thinking about Maledikteur's silhouette.

Spoilers for Miraculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxkrUlucZ-4

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senerio posted:

So the people who do the Miraculous villain designs really weren't thinking about Maledikteur's silhouette.

Spoilers for Miraculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxkrUlucZ-4
Considering yesterday's Trump revelation from Stormy Daniels, that's quite timely.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Is his name Toad From Mario Kart?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

You'd think that the movie would have dissuaded any further live action plans, but apparently the creators see something in it to make it worth while.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of something being live-action. Though I agree it's going to be difficult to make it work. Avatar in particular seems like an exceptionally difficult series to adapt for live action because it relies a lot on elemental bending. The visual effects budget would have to be massive in order to do the show any justice. Given how much Netflix was willing to spend on The Dragon Prince, I'm really doubtful they'd be that much more generous on this new Avatar series. You could probably be mostly okay with fire and air bending as those seem like effects that could theoretically be relatively easy to render. Water and Earth bending seem to be more problematic.

But I can deal with middling special effects as long as the story is solid, but that's also where the biggest concerns lie, imo.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 19, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The question is, is it just going to tell the same story or will it shake it up a bit?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bet it's gonna shake it up. For starters, they might mess with the timeline a bit so that everyone's a little older at the beginning of the series so they don't have to worry about poo poo like actors voices cracking/growing a foot between seasons. And I hope they do some things like make Zhao more of a presence in the first season. He shows up in, like, the third episode and then roars back in for the first season finale. That's actually, like, the only thing the movie got right.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

They're gonna have Scarlett Johanson play Katara. I just know it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am 100% confident that the cast will entirely be comprised of POC--but that leads to some interesting questions. Fire Nation is obviously Japan, so Japanese actors for them, and Water Nation is Inuit, but Earth Kingdom is a little harder--Ba Sing Se is very obviously a China/Forbidden City analoge, but what about the rest of the continent? Is there room for Indian actors and other POC from southeast Asia in the Earth Kingdom? And do you cast a Tibetan actor for Aang and risk pissing off China?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how China's conquest of Tibet has extended to exterminating fictional Tibets.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I would definitely be fine with the Earth Kingdom being a multi-ethnic empire, the heartland being Chinese but more distant territories being based on countries historically within the Chinese sphere of influence like Korea and Vietnam.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pakled posted:

I would definitely be fine with the Earth Kingdom being a multi-ethnic empire, the heartland being Chinese but more distant territories being based on countries historically within the Chinese sphere of influence like Korea and Vietnam.

What race would you say Toph is? I want to say they should go with a Chinese actress based on her name and appearance but I could be wrong.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larryb posted:

What race would you say Toph is? I want to say they should go with a Chinese actress based on her name and appearance but I could be wrong.

I'd say Chinese, I don't think they went into it in the show or comic books but I always had the impression her parents used to live in Back Sing Se but got out, aren't they nobility of some sort?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

asecondduck posted:

I'd say Chinese, I don't think they went into it in the show or comic books but I always had the impression her parents used to live in Back Sing Se but got out, aren't they nobility of some sort?

I've never read the comics so I don't know if they went into the Beifong family origins in any more detail but yes, as far as I can remember her parents were indeed nobles.

Speaking of the ATLA/Korra comics, I've heard mixed reviews so far. Are any of them particularly worth reading?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Larryb posted:

I've never read the comics so I don't know if they went into the Beifong family origins in any more detail but yes, as far as I can remember her parents were indeed nobles.

Speaking of the ATLA/Korra comics, I've heard mixed reviews so far. Are any of them particularly worth reading?

There's the second ATLA comic arc, which is about Zuko's mother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All of the nations are shown as a bit diverse and having distinct ethnic groups, the Sun Warriors and Ember Island, the North and South Water Tribes, and the Earth Kingdom is indeed all over the place. (it's the biggest both in geography and population) It'd make complete sense to have the entire cast be nonwhite.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like how China's conquest of Tibet has extended to exterminating fictional Tibets.

Yyyep.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Eh, the only nation that looks unique is the Water Tribe. All the other three look pretty similar in terms of race/ethnicity (ignoring thing like clothing or hair styles, of course).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
We have Airbenders, Waterbenders etc... when someone figures out how to manipulate metal do they become a Fassbender?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
No, they just become almost as cool as Toph. Who is Tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

Eh, the only nation that looks unique is the Water Tribe. All the other three look pretty similar in terms of race/ethnicity (ignoring thing like clothing or hair styles, of course).

The various nations are coded to represent different Asian cultures and I think to shrug and cast everyone besides Water Tribe with, like, Japanese actors would be the wrong way to go.

Also does this guy:

Really look like this guy:

Outside of the stylistic similarities inherant in animated character design?